Mixed results on night of raids at karaoke bars and massage shops in sleepy Nan

webfact

Mixed results on night of raids at karaoke bars and massage shops in sleepy Nan

a2.jpg

Image: Thairath

NAN: -- A raiding party of police, soldiers and welfare agencies had mixed results in a drive to clear up some of the seedier side of Nan town in the north of Thailand.

The town - normally associated with Thai culture rather than raunchy sex - was earmarked for a raid after complaints from the public that a downtown area near the Fathanin Hotel abounding in traditional massage shops was just a front for the sex trade, reported Thairath.

There were also complaints of a number of Karaoke establishments near the Nan airport that were suspected as being dens of iniquity.

The raids found that four of the massage shops were breaking the law.

Two were not offering sex on the premises but in one the girls would leave with customers and this did not seem to be along the lines of "massage for health" as in the license. 

In another the uniforms were not as they should have been. Apparently not having the name of the worker pinned to the chest was a contravention of the license.

In two others police pretending to want sex got shown to rooms by girls who were only too eager to get 1,500 for three hours of their precious time. Marked banknotes were used in the operation.

Several girls were arrested in the downtown sweep mostly under a 1996 soliciting law invoked because the license was being contravened.

The raiding party found that the Karaoke was OK, however. Four lounges were checked and there were no underage girls, no illegal foreign workers, no human trafficking going on and not a hint of forced labour or sex.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-12

Names not printed on shirts... now, when all is fail, get them on that crime of the century,

slowly slowly,  bit by bit, they're turning this country into a pious monastery, what once

used to be men's haven and a fun country,  where everybody was winning,

turning into just another touristy destination....

1 hour ago, webfact said:

In two others police pretending to want sex got shown to rooms by girls who were only too eager to get 1,500 for three hours of their precious time. Marked banknotes were used in the operation.

Did they go through with this?

11 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

Did they go through with this?

Apparently they do. Some of the girls have been complaining because the police trick them into having sex, then take the money back and prosecute them. The police say, they really don't want to have sex with these lovely girls, but are forced to in order to collect evidence. Shocking. 

It will be interesting if they apply these tactics down in Nana , walking st ,patpong or Soi cowboy.

Everyone knows they exist and what goes on and as long as there is no underage or human trafficking I have no problem with what consenting adults do.

Keeps the guys happy and families are fed and sure beats living in poverty.

Many questions are raised.

"Welfare agencies" get a mention once again. Why cannot they be named? Do they have an unhealthy influence over the RTP?

Are these agencies the driving force behind police and military action? If so what is the form of motivation for the police and army to carry out such raids and use entrapment methods (illegal in many countries) as a way  apprehending offenders? 

NOTE: In many countries entrapment can be used as a legal defence against criminal prosecution.

Is there some "reward" on offer by these "welfare agencies" for convictions obtained by the police?

Perhaps the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) should interest itself in these goings-on.

44 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Apparently they do. Some of the girls have been complaining because the police trick them into having sex, then take the money back and prosecute them. The police say, they really don't want to have sex with these lovely girls, but are forced to in order to collect evidence. Shocking. 

Absolute hell - what our brave policemen have to go through to protect us...

11 minutes ago, Brer Fox said:

Many questions are raised.

"Welfare agencies" get a mention once again. Why cannot they be named? Do they have an unhealthy influence over the RTP?

Are these agencies the driving force behind police and military action? If so what is the form of motivation for the police and army to carry out such raids and use entrapment methods (illegal in many countries) as a way  apprehending offenders? 

NOTE: In many countries entrapment can be used as a legal defence against criminal prosecution.

Is there some "reward" on offer by these "welfare agencies" for convictions obtained by the police?

Perhaps the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) should interest itself in these goings-on.

Thailand, not having as many lawyers as the US, has a much simpler legal system, with far fewer ways to weasel yourself out of a conviction. For example, if someone offers to sell you ganja and you take the bag to examine the quality, you are already guilty of possession.

If you don't like it, there are many countries........

4 minutes ago, halloween said:

Thailand, not having as many lawyers as the US, has a much simpler legal system, with far fewer ways to weasel yourself out of a conviction. For example, if someone offers to sell you ganja and you take the bag to examine the quality, you are already guilty of possession.

If you don't like it, there are many countries........

I don't partake of ganja or any other drug (alcohol not included) so what is the point of your final unoriginal smartass comment? 

3 minutes ago, Brer Fox said:

I don't partake of ganja or any other drug (alcohol not included) so what is the point of your final unoriginal smartass comment? 

The ganja was an example of a simplified legal system. My point is you can take it or leave it.

5 minutes ago, Brer Fox said:

Well he seems to have grave reservations about many sectors of society here. including many of us. Maybe he is thinking of moving on?

We'll miss him...

:)

Edited by JAG

1 hour ago, JAG said:

Well he seems to have grave reservations about many sectors of society here. including many of us. Maybe he is thinking of moving on?

We'll miss him...

:)

Yes I do have some grave reservations but mainly about the quality an unoriginality of quite a few of the posters on this forum.

Surely the few like yourself can think up something new and original other than parroting the hackneyed old "get out of town if you don't like it" response.

Suggest you exercise your trifling mind and contribute something worthwhile to the debate which is mainly about raids by the virtuous (and likely external) welfare agencies and police working as a tag team.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

For an ironclad case they also need to mark the eager members of officers used in the operation.

1 hour ago, Brer Fox said:

Yes I do have some grave reservations but mainly about the quality an unoriginality of quite a few of the posters on this forum.

Surely the few like yourself can think up something new and original other than parroting the hackneyed old "get out of town if you don't like it" response.

Suggest you exercise your trifling mind and contribute something worthwhile to the debate which is mainly about raids by the virtuous (and likely external) welfare agencies and police working as a tag team.

I suggest you re-read JAGs comment. Knowing his style of post and his target, I suggest a teaspoon of sarcasm was being administered. At least that was my conclusion.........................:coffee1:

2 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

Keep deluding yourself that alcohol is not a drug. Are you such a slave to the definitions dictated by government? Tobacco, alcohol are defined as legal, so you don't call them 'drugs'. Nice job thinking for yourself...

As far as I am concerned, the Massage Places can stay but they should shut down these Karaoke Bars. 

I mean if you don't want to go a Massage Place for sex, or for whatever reason, you can avoid this. As they don't force you to go or bother anyone. 

But this is not so with Karaoke Bars. You may not want to go but you are still forced to listen to this blaring music until 4 am every night. Maybe okay for some drunk customers, which many sit near empty, but not so to everyone else.   

11 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

As far as I am concerned, the Massage Places can stay but they should shut down these Karaoke Bars. 

I mean if you don't want to go a Massage Place for sex, or for whatever reason, you can avoid this. As they don't force you to go or bother anyone. 

But this is not so with Karaoke Bars. You may not want to go but you are still forced to listen to this blaring music until 4 am every night. Maybe okay for some drunk customers, which many sit near empty, but not so to everyone else.   

I knew what your beef was after the first sentence and I totally agree . But not just karaoke bars ,  why does a person hand a mike to a drunk who can't even sing when sober after 1 am.

1 hour ago, DualSportBiker said:

Keep deluding yourself that alcohol is not a drug. Are you such a slave to the definitions dictated by government? Tobacco, alcohol are defined as legal, so you don't call them 'drugs'. Nice job thinking for yourself...

I feel a bit sad for your sake that you are unable to understand English. I was referring to myself a one who ingests alcohol. I made no mention of it not being a drug. In fact I implied that it was a drug.

Nice try but FAIL. I am sure your attempts at insults can improve with more practice. 

5 hours ago, The stuttering parrot said:

It will be interesting if they apply these tactics down in Nana , walking st ,patpong or Soi cowboy.

Everyone knows they exist and what goes on and as long as there is no underage or human trafficking I have no problem with what consenting adults do.

Keeps the guys happy and families are fed and sure beats living in poverty.

Yes it kind of kills the informal pension plan that exists here. The government will not make up for any short comings thats for sure. 

4 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

I feel a bit sad for your sake that you are unable to understand English. I was referring to myself a one who ingests alcohol. I made no mention of it not being a drug. In fact I implied that it was a drug.

Nice try but FAIL. I am sure your attempts at insults can improve with more practice. 

Flummoxed - how is this not stating alcohol is not a drug? You only clear statement you make is you don't do drugs and included ganja in that statement. "Alcohol not included" means either you consider alcohol excluded from your initial statement of definition, i.e., it is not a drug, or excluded from your statement of action i.e., you do consume it, or both.

4 hours ago, DualSportBiker said:

Flummoxed - how is this not stating alcohol is not a drug? You only clear statement you make is you don't do drugs and included ganja in that statement. "Alcohol not included" means either you consider alcohol excluded from your initial statement of definition, i.e., it is not a drug, or excluded from your statement of action i.e., you do consume it, or both.

Duh!

10 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

what is the point of this? head down soi 6 pattaya beach road if you want some easy results. (hope they dont though, lots of single mums need support not problems)

Part of the point to this is to try to find those trafficking in underage girls, they won't find those in obvious places out in the open like beach road, they will find them in illegitimate businesses.

8 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

"There were also complaints of a number of Karaoke establishments near the Nan airport that were suspected as being dens of iniquity."

How does an establishment get to qualify as a den of iniquity? 

Traditionally, by running a bureau de change within a synagogue.