Video: Thai bouncers vs British tourists - two charged with assault

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jakow said:

I've been here a while and never had a problem. And thuggery and crime has come to me many times. The difference is I've always been able to not let it escalate. I've seen many tourists and expats who are idiots when it comes to de-escalating a situation. Can't can't how many times there's been a tense situation and I've looked at a friend or some foreigner in the bar and said, "Why the <deleted> did you just say that?!" Usually I can help the foreigner calm down first and the Thai always backs away then. Come to think of it, the amount of situations I've de-escalated is really, really high. Many times the foreigner is so drunk they don't even realize things are escalating.

I understand you and I totally agree.

Personally I think it's super easy to not have trouble in Thailand by having exactly the kind of approach you take.

I take issue with people who make simplistic comments based on ignorance. They are ignorant, so it follows many of them think they know it all, so off they go spouting unqualified generalizations, unwittingly letting on that they don't know what they're talking about because they can't stop themselves from showing off how much better they are by, for example, "not going to places like that in the first place."

You have qualified your position by saying that even in a place like that there is little need to wind up in trouble if one goes about things in the right way. That, sir, I firmly believe is a good reasonable point worth an answer because it actually inspires one.

Tourists get drunk and behave badly the world over, some countries maybe more than others do their share of visiting or being the visitor and each people behave how they do for complicated reasons, though each of those people do not reflect all of their people.

Tourists may be treated badly in other countries too but this is a forum covering Thailand and one of Thailand's biggest problems is the importance it puts on promoting itself as a friendly destination when it has a major thuggery and head-kicking problem just from lack of professionalism, customer service, communication skills and even respect for human life.

The tourists may have been drunk and causing problems but the Thais who assaulted them are thugs who should be excluded from a civilized society. Instead, this society allows serious assault bordering on attempted murder to be de-rigueur for the industry... and beyond, it seems.

22 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Is this the way they do it in Scotland, then?

3 on 1 and kick in the face when already out for the count?

Good to know.

Then maybe that 65-year old Scottish couple who got stomped on a couple months back had it coming. At the time I figurdred smacking down a woman had been in pretty poor taste of those Thai guys.

Cheers

I think they were Welsh.

Yes, my point is that this kind of thing happens in Scotland and probably every country. Just search on Youtube and you'll see many instances of this happening in any country. 

3 hours ago, Junkyarddog said:

I have lived here for thirty years. How many times that translate to how many times in the bar's. 

Never had any problems. If you can't go out drinking and not act like a ads expect to have the sh#t kicked out of you. That's in Thailand or any country. It will probably go a long way to teaching you how to act when in public. Or maybe I should say how not to act.

I quoted this earlier but my point wasn't applicable to what the poster is actually saying, I think, on second viewing.

Apologies.

3 hours ago, chrissables said:

You do know they use the "f" word or equivalent all the time?

A group of Thai's won't put up with, a single man often will. 

I do know they use it all the time and that is why there are also a lot of thai vs thai brawls and fights... but it happens mostly at very local bars or drinking holes

Most bouncers I have seen in Thailand trying to handle difficult customers are far from professional. 

Of course drunk tourist who get drunk (possibly from the bars and clubs not preventing people who are already drunk from buying more alcohol) will act like idiots some times, but a professional bouncer will be able to handle these things without allowing himself getting aggregated and taking it out on the drunk tourist. 

Bouncers should have a closer relationship with the tourist police, and tourist police should be present in the areas where these things happen every single weekend (Bangla road, Kaosan, ...). 

When bouncers end up committing violence like this, they should lose their jobs, permanently or temporarily based on the offence, and get prosecuted by police like anyone else would be if they kicked a defenseless person on the ground in the head... i.e. jail. The problem is the police is protecting these untrained bouncers. TAT should take these things more seriously and put pressure on the entertainment industry e.g. by introducing mandatory training for bouncers, requirement for CCTV outside every club over a certain size etc, and then push police to perform a proper investigation for these cases.

I know I am a dreamer... just felt like venting, after watching another (drunk and stupid) tourist get his head kicked in on Bangla road recently. Guess the tourist made it, but it could easily have gone the other way. 

I even dream that one day, police will start issuing tickets to motorbikes with no or poor light driving at night. Much more serious than not wearing a helmet in my opinion. No helmet = The motorbike driver dies. No light = Other innocent people get hurt/die.

2 hours ago, louse1953 said:

Father,you must be in cloisters and not in the country we speak of,or you would know,Thailand,Thai Rules is rule number 1.I learnt this a long,long time ago.Many people hark back to laws and rules in their own country,but guess what,your not there,you are here,good and bad.If you can't handle it there are plenty of airports around the place.

Ah yes, the old, tired, played out Thai apologists favorite "if you don't like it you should leave' cliché. This is Thailand and it is okay to assault foreigners. And I'm going to justify it hoping that the Thais will accept me too!  Get over yourself, you are a farang, and will never be accepted by Thais.

No one is applying any other laws in these situations than Thai laws. But of course they are not enforced, especially if a pack of Thai boys gang up on a foreigner. It would be nice if the existing laws were enforced, but everyone's favorite "This is Thailand" excuse justifies anything and everything. Maybe some of us aren't tolerant of these assaults, no matter where in the world it happens.

Also, the guy who brought up "kick boxing" don't worry, we know you meant Muay Thai. Most trained fighters have enough discipline not to fight in the street and avoid it. Not all, because there are knuckleheads in every walk of life. But most. From all the videos I've seen of these multi-Thai assaults, there doesn't seem to be too much M.T. techniques there.

Also, no, this doesn't happen all over the world. In fact, I grew up in what used to be the #1 murderous city in my country and also spent a decade in what is a top 5 violent metro areas and it was rare to see customers at businesses ganged up on by other customers or staff members. In fact, I don't ever remember anything like that. You'd see an employee fight with a customer one on one, once in a great while, but never packs of staff assaulting one customer. Maybe where you are from that is how staff at businesses act, but it's not everywhere.

1 hour ago, avinje said:

Most bouncers I have seen in Thailand trying to handle difficult customers are far from professional. 

Of course drunk tourist who get drunk (possibly from the bars and clubs not preventing people who are already drunk from buying more alcohol) will act like idiots some times, but a professional bouncer will be able to handle these things without allowing himself getting aggregated and taking it out on the drunk tourist. 

Bouncers should have a closer relationship with the tourist police, and tourist police should be present in the areas where these things happen every single weekend (Bangla road, Kaosan, ...). 

When bouncers end up committing violence like this, they should lose their jobs, permanently or temporarily based on the offence, and get prosecuted by police like anyone else would be if they kicked a defenseless person on the ground in the head... i.e. jail. The problem is the police is protecting these untrained bouncers. TAT should take these things more seriously and put pressure on the entertainment industry e.g. by introducing mandatory training for bouncers, requirement for CCTV outside every club over a certain size etc, and then push police to perform a proper investigation for these cases.

I know I am a dreamer... just felt like venting, after watching another (drunk and stupid) tourist get his head kicked in on Bangla road recently. Guess the tourist made it, but it could easily have gone the other way. 

I even dream that one day, police will start issuing tickets to motorbikes with no or poor light driving at night. Much more serious than not wearing a helmet in my opinion. No helmet = The motorbike driver dies. No light = Other innocent people get hurt/die.

Thailand has rule by law, not rule of law, which is how Mr Prayuth can mendaciously claim that he does not infringe upon people's liberties unless they break the law (which he writes), and he doesn't seem to see the untruthfulness of that any more than he sees that the international community is not so stupid as he is used to thinking. 

An estimated 80%+ of police and 90%+ of senior government officials  have taken corrupt money at least once in their careers. Arguably, the most corrupt institutions in Thailand are the 'Royal' Thai Armed Forces. iI's a tradition, and comes from the fact that as recently as 100 years ago, appointees to the judiciary and bureaucracy were expected to earn their own money, they were not paid by the state or by the head of state. Corruption is viewed as an acceptable and understandable foible; this is made clear in many surveys over time and as recently as this year.

Thailand will not change until it is knocked down and rebuilt. It is my belief that we are seeing the early stages of that now, with what seems to me to be a progressive breakdown in society. You cannot build a new building without first clearing the site. That's what is happening, and we should all rejoice that at long last, this midden of a country is beginning to become aware of itself, and doesn't seem to like itself very much. Prayuth, such as he is, is a splendid part of that process, probably while believing he's a part of an altogether different process.

Before it becomes a real state, a leader state, which Thailand delusionally thinks it already is, first it must become a failed state and it already satisfies many definitions of exactly that.

So - imho, hope for the future that event like this will stop, but first, they are bound to get worse and more frequent. Eventually tourists will be killed in the street, this is a part of and a necessary consequence of Prayuth's plan to make foreigners responsible for what is happening to Thailand. In this he has no choice brother, it's either us or him and it won't be him.

Keep your powder dry and have an exit plan, because one day, I think you're going to need it, especially if you live in or near one of the fleshpots like Pattaya; the world is changing around you, don't be too slow to notice it because I think that will be a world of pain.

Winnie

22 hours ago, moe666 said:

when refused entry why didn't the brits move on more than one place to drink. In all of the years coming here and now living here I have never had a problem with thai bouncers or bar people. somepeople just do not have a clue. some people cannto go to their neighbors house without getting into a fight their heads kicked in..

FIFY..

Not a great advert for Thailand, to say the least, but I just wonder about the behaviour of the Brits. Some I've witnessed behave appallingly and should not be allowed here at all in my opinion. This all started with cheap air fares and has got progressively worse. If I ever leave Thailand it will not be because of the Thais but because of the garbage farang that now come here.

23 hours ago, moe666 said:

when refused entry why didn't the brits move on more than one place to drink. In all of the years coming here and now living here I have never had a problem with thai bouncers or bar people. somepeople just do not have a clue. some people cannto go to their neighbors house without getting into a fight

Can't totally blame the Thai, as brits are aggressive and trouble maker every bar they go to even in Pattaya. Yes beating up someone is not the way to go.

1 hour ago, Winniedapu said:

Thailand has rule by law, not rule of law, which is how Mr Prayuth can mendaciously claim that he does not infringe upon people's liberties unless they break the law (which he writes), and he doesn't seem to see the untruthfulness of that any more than he sees that the international community is not so stupid as he is used to thinking. 

An estimated 80%+ of police and 90%+ of senior government officials  have taken corrupt money at least once in their careers. Arguably, the most corrupt institutions in Thailand are the 'Royal' Thai Armed Forces. iI's a tradition, and comes from the fact that as recently as 100 years ago, appointees to the judiciary and bureaucracy were expected to earn their own money, they were not paid by the state or by the head of state. Corruption is viewed as an acceptable and understandable foible; this is made clear in many surveys over time and as recently as this year.

Thailand will not change until it is knocked down and rebuilt. It is my belief that we are seeing the early stages of that now, with what seems to me to be a progressive breakdown in society. You cannot build a new building without first clearing the site. That's what is happening, and we should all rejoice that at long last, this midden of a country is beginning to become aware of itself, and doesn't seem to like itself very much. Prayuth, such as he is, is a splendid part of that process, probably while believing he's a part of an altogether different process.

Before it becomes a real state, a leader state, which Thailand delusionally thinks it already is, first it must become a failed state and it already satisfies many definitions of exactly that.

So - imho, hope for the future that event like this will stop, but first, they are bound to get worse and more frequent. Eventually tourists will be killed in the street, this is a part of and a necessary consequence of Prayuth's plan to make foreigners responsible for what is happening to Thailand. In this he has no choice brother, it's either us or him and it won't be him.

Keep your powder dry and have an exit plan, because one day, I think you're going to need it, especially if you live in or near one of the fleshpots like Pattaya; the world is changing around you, don't be too slow to notice it because I think that will be a world of pain.

Winnie

Another hilarious post from Winnie, predicting the downfall of Thailand from a fight between drunken tourists and Thai bouncers. Winnie, Bangkok was far more violent in Sarit's era, running gang fights out of control on the streets, people committing arson to get the insurance. The only difference is then they didn't have phones with cameras and the internet,otherwise you would have said the sky is falling

Social media has made a lot of people nervous wrecks, reacting and  impelled to comment on whatever is posted, but even the bombings last weekend were not even noticed by a lot of Thais, the majority I would say. Life goes on, evil and idiocy is worldwide, avoid it if you can.

9 hours ago, saminoz said:

Take it easy Wazza, you're letting your prejudice and lack of education  show too much.

It's really very immature, almost infantile, and very embarrassing for you.

From your writing, I wouldn't think that you're old enough to drink beer and that's probably why the nice British person tried to take it away from you!  We try to look after our colonial cousins.

:cheesy:

Ah, they are only poms, we see how they carry on in soccer, one little bump and its rolling around on the ground waiting for a stretcher, they are piss weak in reality as this incident shows, his mates run away like cowards while the bouncers lay into him on the ground, typical poms. 

Sadly, with all the robbery, gang beatings, road accidents, boat accidents, suicides, rip offs, unexplained deaths.....the tourist population will simply go elsewhere.  They want to come here, but it's becoming less safe, and these problems are not taken seriously enough.

Other countries are eager to get into the action, and are expanding their own industries (all the SE Asian countries).

On 17 August 2016 at 8:49 PM, Brer Fox said:

More free advertising for TAT. Come to Thailand and get your head kicked in by Thai thugs. One elderly British lady found that out not so long ago.

I will do my part in spreading the story.

How about this spin 'Don't go to Thailand and think you can be your usual loutish, boorish self and be protected from your own bullshit.'

there, much better read.

1 hour ago, Redline said:

Sadly, with all the robbery, gang beatings, road accidents, boat accidents, suicides, rip offs, unexplained deaths.....the tourist population will simply go elsewhere.  They want to come here, but it's becoming less safe, and these problems are not taken seriously enough.

Other countries are eager to get into the action, and are expanding their own industries (all the SE Asian countries).

This increase in incidents wouldn't have anything to do with the increase in tourists now would it?

1 minute ago, MadMuhummad said:

This increase in incidents wouldn't have anything to do with the increase in tourists now would it?

People are influenced by word of mouth and negative stats.  Read it again, and answer yourself.  Hint: the quantity of tourists is not the point

11 minutes ago, mankondang said:

I agree, totally at over the top response by personnel payed to protect the public, regardless of the public skin being different to the protectors. Wont be long till we see paid protectors, such as the white police in the US, shooting unarmed people of differing skin, such black people, in the back. "Stop, stop I'm unarmed", will count for nought.

The operative word here is Western...

1 hour ago, mankondang said:

I agree, totally at over the top response by personnel payed to protect the public, regardless of the public skin being different to the protectors. Wont be long till we see paid protectors, such as the white police in the US, shooting unarmed people of differing skin, such black people, in the back. "Stop, stop I'm unarmed", will count for nought.

Bullshit.

5 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Not a great advert for Thailand, to say the least, but I just wonder about the behaviour of the Brits. Some I've witnessed behave appallingly and should not be allowed here at all in my opinion. This all started with cheap air fares and has got progressively worse. If I ever leave Thailand it will not be because of the Thais but because of the garbage farang that now come here.

Agreed 125%

On 17.8.2016 at 4:07 PM, petedk said:

Why all this kicking in the head of someone already down?

Try watching western documentaries of security guards pacifying drunk party goers. Most of the action is verbal or in extreme cases a quick restraint.

These guys should be charged with attempted murder.  One well placed kick and the victim is dead.

Like one poster here said. "Thais fight to destroy"

there are many aspects to this....drunk tourists who dont behave too much piss and testosteron....than thais not really understand or trained in western sissy logics...but to kick somebodys head is a no go and should be for any bouncer / security worldwide - they secure the club protect the cstomers from drunk non behaviors ...if anyone forcefully want to enter  maybe using knifes or bottles...jump on them get them to the ground bind them and get the cops....if they move away from the door already on their way === goal accomplished !!!! they dont want to enter anymore = security / bouncer success = nothing more to do !!!!! JOB DONE GOOD WORK !!!! regardless what they say or how silly they act....stress / violance / cracy drugged or drunk sucker all kinds of loosers nothing of this should let the bouncer/security loose his self control or his cool....part of his job...= business as usual not a second thought or emotion worth !!!! ..sure these guys have a certain past otherwise they would not be working in this line of business....but to run after someone to kick somebodys head when on the ground and already on theyr way away from the door like this - no excuse sorry even knowing how brainfucked most of these brits or aussies are....

11 hours ago, Winniedapu said:

Winnie

Certainly as Thailand suffers economic hardships the buck will be shifted in propaganda to westerners causing the country pain.
This bouncer incident and violence in a group is indicative of mindset too.

Westerners certainly are receiving more menacing looks and overtones where gain is not a consideration .
Crimes occurring more frequently.

The general will at some point encourage Thais to have an US vs Them mentality.
I left sensing the potential of investments were going to fall away.
Security measures cracking.

I concur about others considering the direction this country is moving in the sober light of day alone somewhere quiet.
Reflect on if the worst eventualities begin and Thailand is sanctioned and propaganda against us stepped up how safety could be a very large consideration.?

I do think it will come to westerners being attacked on the street.
And not just by bouncers.
The explanation of a country being panned world wide and failing is a recipe under this leader to wholesale finger pointing at westerners and god knows what else.?

35 minutes ago, Plutojames88 said:

Certainly as Thailand suffers economic hardships the buck will be shifted in propaganda to westerners causing the country pain.
This bouncer incident and violence in a group is indicative of mindset too.

Westerners certainly are receiving more menacing looks and overtones where gain is not a consideration .
Crimes occurring more frequently.

The general will at some point encourage Thais to have an US vs Them mentality.
I left sensing the potential of investments were going to fall away.
Security measures cracking.

I concur about others considering the direction this country is moving in the sober light of day alone somewhere quiet.
Reflect on if the worst eventualities begin and Thailand is sanctioned and propaganda against us stepped up how safety could be a very large consideration.?

I do think it will come to westerners being attacked on the street.
And not just by bouncers.
The explanation of a country being panned world wide and failing is a recipe under this leader to wholesale finger pointing at westerners and god knows what else.?

Unbelievable, utter nonsense. How could anyone take this post as serious?

There is bloodshed to come and most Thais accept that but it has nothing to do with foreigners.

7 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Not quite sure what the legal background of the author of this article is.  Let me clarify...

"Assault" is verbal.

"Battery" is physical.

That distinction depends somewhat on the Criminal Code of the location it took place.

Pathetic.

Where did I EVER say it was OK to kick a guy in the head when he was down ? WHERE ?

WHERE did I say that I approved of what happened ? 

That's right, I didn't. Get you head out of you nether regions once in awhile and maybe you'll gain the ability to comprehend things a little better.

1) As I stated, I highly doubted the "bouncers" would have started a fight for no reason. 

2) As I stated, 3-4 people ganging up on one person is NOT limited to Thais, despite what all the Thai bashers would have you believe. There is no doubt in my mind that that if the opportunity had of been there you'd have seen the 3-4 Brits putting the boots to a Thai on the ground. Why ? Because that is what belligerent ****s do when they travel in packs, regardless of what country they are from. 

"Oh the foreigners can't be blamed for anything because they are from the same country as I am and that means they must have been perfect gentlemen and would never have started an altercation." - grow up and get a brain. 

BTW - for those of you who obviously have comprehension problems - this is THAILAND. Not the UK or Canada or America or any other country that has laws and regulations regarding "bouncers". Why do (some) people keep thinking that the laws/rules from their home country should automatically apply here ? 

It's probably a pretty safe bet that there are very few, if any, "bouncers" in Thailand that are trained and licensed in any way as they would be required to do in some other countries. I imagine more than a few of them may have some police/military training, just like a lot of "bouncers" in North America and other places do and that is probably how they got their job. I have never heard of any actual training/licensing requirement for bouncers in Thailand so the whole BS argument that "they should know how to deal with these situations" is exactly that. BS

I suspect they go to various clubs looking for a job and are told to sit out front and keep out the rowdies/drunks or anyone trying to bring in outside booze. (Which is NO different than pretty much EVERY bar in whatever country YOU are from so don't bother trying to claim otherwise. Bars don't make money from people buying booze somewhere else and bringing it into the bar so they can drink cheaper. Regulations in some Western countries require bars to not serve customers who are already obviously inebriated and in some cases the bars can be held liable if they serve a drunk customer and that idiot then goes and does something stupid.)

The bottom line is, if you are a drunk @****** and go around looking for trouble, you are going to find it. It doesn't matter what nationality you are or which country you are in. That doesn't mean I think you deserve to get head-stomped. 

If that is too hard for you to comprehend then it is YOU that has the problem, not me.

Archived