Convert visa-exempt entry to non-O... Do bank documents really need to be dated the same day?

I am British, 50 years old, in Bangkok. I have a Kbank account with more than 800k Baht in it. I entered Thailand a couple of days ago without a visa and got a 30-day stamp.

Within the next week I plan to apply for a non-O visa at Chaengwattana based on age (>50/retirement). I know that the required documents include a guarantee letter from my bank and evidence that my money came from overseas. I have read that these need to be dated the same day as my application. I very much doubt that my bank will post-date any documents. My bank branch in On Nut doesn't open until 11am so I would likely not get to Chaengwattana until 1pm after obtaining the documents. Is it really necessary for the documents to be dated the same day as the application? Would it be OK if they were dated the previous day?

There is a K-bank branch on the ground floor at Chaeng Wattana where you can get the letter and bank book up date done on the date you apply. They open a 8:30.

CW will accept a letter from the day before you apply but you must have your bank book updated on the date your apply.

• Like 1

Thank you ubonjoe. That's very helpful.

I'm a little confused about exactly what documents I need from the bank, apart from the updated passbook. It seems I need these 2 documents:

1. A guarantee letter from the bank in Thailand in Thai language showing that the applicant has an account of not less than 800,000 Baht (Attention: Immigration Commissioner)

2. Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand (proving foreign remittance).

Can anyone clarify exactly what I should be asking the bank for?

5 minutes ago, thaitanic said:

Thank you ubonjoe. That's very helpful.

I'm a little confused about exactly what documents I need from the bank, apart from the updated passbook. It seems I need these 2 documents:

1. A guarantee letter from the bank in Thailand in Thai language showing that the applicant has an account of not less than 800,000 Baht (Attention: Immigration Commissioner)

2. Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand (proving foreign remittance).

Can anyone clarify exactly what I should be asking the bank for?

If you wait until you go to CW the branch there will know exactly what you want since they do them every day. They may even do it as one letter.

1. It is a simple letter just stating have an count with them and the balance on the date the letter is done. Most banks have a template for doing them. I think your branch in On Nut will know what you need.

2. About the same as one. Just a letter confirming you funds came from abroad.

• Like 1

Thanks again ubonjoe.

I visited the Big C On Nut branch today. They seem to think I need a "credit notification" (it was certainly a "credit *something*") for my >800k Baht transfer from the UK. That's an overnight job as it comes from head office and I will collect it tomorrow.

For the letter, she showed me an example letter on her computer that was all in English. I'll do as you suggest and get that at the Kbank in Chaengwattana. As you say, they'll know what the content needs to be and also write it in Thai if that's what immigration require.

As for the passbook being updated ON THE DAY, I suppose I'll have to make a withdrawal on that day to trigger an entry in the book with that date.

Hi! Please give updates on your progress as I am in exactly the same situation as you... (50+, UK, Kbank...)

I was under the impression that it was not possible to convert 30 day entry under visa waiver program to a "non immigrant O" so if you succeed this will be great news indeed!

Other than your updated passbook, the credit notification from your bank regarding the origin of the funds, and that other bank one done on the day you apply for the visa, what documents do you need/plan to show?

Many thx

sAs was said here in other posts you will find that on the 1st (ground) floor at CW most if not all the Thai banks have offices that will produce a letter on a computer form in less than 15 minutess for a 100 or 200 Baht fee

Just bring your passbook and your passport for identification.

Those branches will open each workday at the same time that up above on the 2nd floor  the immigration office opens.

That is how thosee bank branchess make their money, there is no need to go to yout local branch of yout bank and get a letter.

You can get all the copies you need of your passport pages, photos made, and a signed bank letter on the 1st floor in less than 20 minutes for lrss than 500 Baht total cost.

You can even have the immigration forms filled in for you by one of the women in the photo and copy shop for 30 Baht.

All you have to do is sign your signature on the forms where shown.

Everything is there down on th 1st floor of CW.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
correct typos

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a non immigrant visa with a visa exempt entry. It has been allowed for a long time. You must have 15 days remaining on your entry or a 30 day extension of it.

Thanks for that info...May I ask does it also apply to those  looking to get a 1 yr extension based on Marriage to a Thai?

Usually I would grab the 90 day O to visit family/marriage based etc before returning but we are pressed for time due to a family members medical problems there

Thanks

2 hours ago, mania said:

Thanks for that info...May I ask does it also apply to those  looking to get a 1 yr extension based on Marriage to a Thai?

Usually I would grab the 90 day O to visit family/marriage based etc before returning but we are pressed for time due to a family members medical problems there

Thanks

Yes it is possible. But it can only be done at immigration in Bangkok and requires 2 trips 15 days apart.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a non immigrant visa with a visa exempt entry. It has been allowed for a long time. You must have 15 days remaining on your entry or a 30 day extension of it.

Requirements from Bangkok immigration website.

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR RETIREMENT PURPOSES.
  1. The application must be submitted at least 15 days before visa expiration and, in case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted.
  2. 1.1 Form TM.86 for the foreigner, who has Tourist and Transit Visa and applies for Visa Status Alteration and applies for non-immigrant visa; or
    1.2 Form TM.87 for the foreigner, who enters into Thailand without visa, but is allowed to stay in Thailand with a permit of stay for a period of 15 day, 30 days, 90 days and applies for non-immigrant visa.
  3. A copy of passport pages (for example, personal information page, last entries stamp, visa sticker and extension stamp (if any) and departure card (Form TM.6))
  4. Either one 4x6 cm photograph or one 2 inch size photograph
  5. Application fee of Baht 2,000
  6. 5.1 A guarantee letter from the bank in Thailand in Thai language (Attention: Immigration Commissioner)*
    5.2 A copy  of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant has a savings or fixed deposit account  of not less than Baht 800,000* (all documents must be in the Applicant’s name).
    5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand*
    *(Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in the Applicant’s name.)or
  7. A guarantee letter from the local or overseas Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension of the Applicant not less than Baht 65,000 per month (together with reference documents showing the source of said monthly pension); or
  8. Evidence of deposited money under Clause 5 and evidence of income under Clause 6  (for one year) showing the total amount not less than Baht 800,000

Is anything required about confirmation of ones address? Thanks.

4 minutes ago, yaagjon said:

Is anything required about confirmation of ones address? Thanks.

Bangkok immigration would just want a minimal proof of address if any to apply for the visa since they will accept applications from people living outside Bangkok whose local office cannot accept the applications for them.

When applying for an extension based upon retirement they would want proof of residence.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Bangkok immigration would just want a minimal proof of address if any to apply for the visa since they will accept applications from people living outside Bangkok whose local office cannot accept the applications for them.

When applying for an extension based upon retirement they would want proof of residence.

Thanks.

Well, regarding the "credit advice" that Kbank Big C On Nut told me is needed to show that my big payment came from overseas... It's apparently not an overnight job after all. It was ordered by them from their head office on Friday. Still not there 3 days later. I don't know how Kbank at Chaengwattana manage to do it while you wait, unless they generate a different document as "Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand". I wonder at a push if I could use my contract note from the UK-based currency exchange service I used. It states the destination account.

Thank you UbonJoe and everyone!  

I'm still a little confused about the initial application for a Non-O and have a few more questions:

I will want to convert my next 30 day arrival waiver to a Non-O, with the intention of requesting the retirement extension when I can.

-- Can I get a initial one year multiple entry without having a Thai wife/child/relative?  I'm 50 and have a Thai address (but not BKK). 

-- For this initial Non-O application, do the funds have to have been in the account for over 2 months? 

-- How long does the processing take usually?

Many thanks

-- 

4 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Thank you UbonJoe and everyone!  

I'm still a little confused about the initial application for a Non-O and have a few more questions:

I will want to convert my next 30 day arrival waiver to a Non-O, with the intention of requesting the retirement extension when I can.

-- Can I get a initial one year multiple entry without having a Thai wife/child/relative?  I'm 50 and have a Thai address (but not BKK). 

-- For this initial Non-O application, do the funds have to have been in the account for over 2 months? 

-- How long does the processing take usually?

Many thanks

-- 

You can only apply for a non immigrant visa that is only valid for the day it is issued and is immediately used to grant you a 90 day entry at immigration. 

To apply for the visa the funds only have to be in the bank on the date you apply.

The visa application will be done on the same day you apply and then you will need to return after about 15 days to get the visa/entry stamps done after the application is approved.

When you apply for the one year extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry the funds will need to be in the bank for 60 days.

When you get the extension done you can get a multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht) that will be valid for the length of your extension.

There are other offices near Bangkok where you can apply for the visa and at Chiang Mai immigration.

Where will you be living?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can only apply for a non immigrant visa that is only valid for the day it is issued and is immediately used to grant you a 90 day entry at immigration. 

To apply for the visa the funds only have to be in the bank on the date you apply.

The visa application will be done on the same day you apply and then you will need to return after about 15 days to get the visa/entry stamps done after the application is approved.

When you apply for the one year extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry the funds will need to be in the bank for 60 days.

When you get the extension done you can get a multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht) that will be valid for the length of your extension.

There are other offices near Bangkok where you can apply for the visa and at Chiang Mai immigration.

Many thanks!  I will be living near Nakhon Phanom.

29 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

A trip to Vientiane Laos for a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over would be your best option. Certainly better than two trips to Bangkok.

You would only need your passport, your bank book and a letter from the bank confirming your balance.

You apply the morning of one day and pick up your passport the next afternoon.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A trip to Vientiane Laos for a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over would be your best option. Certainly better than two trips to Bangkok.

You would only need your passport, your bank book and a letter from the bank confirming your balance.

You apply the morning of one day and pick up your passport the next afternoon.

Am I correct in understanding that by doing this application in Laos means that I get the visa in 24 hours as opposed to 15 days?  Also, from what I've been reading here, Savanakhet seems easier than Vientiane.  Any thoughts on that?  thx.

14 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Am I correct in understanding that by doing this application in Laos means that I get the visa in 24 hours as opposed to 15 days?  Also, from what I've been reading here, Savanakhet seems easier than Vientiane.  Any thoughts on that?  thx.

The 15 days is only if you apply at immigration. You will get your visa the next after noon after applying at the embassy.

Savannakhet is only easy for getting a non-o based upon marriage. Getting one based upon being 50 or over for retirement can be difficult since they ask for a letter from your embassy stating you are retired.

Your best option is Vientiane. 

• Like 1

I went to Chaengwattana this morning. I visited Kasikornbank in the basement and got the guarantee letter on the spot for 100 Baht. It was in Thai language and done from a computer template. No problem.

However they were clueless about what document was required to show that my funds came from overseas. I showed them the "credit advice" that their On Nut branch had obtained from head office. They looked at it like it was the first time they had seen one. They said they could have got that document there but it would have had to be sent from head office by email and they would likely have to chase up by phone if I wanted it on the same day. They had nothing else to offer.

Kasikornbank also advised me that I should buy the last 3 months' statements for 100 Baht instead of use copies of my bank book, which I did. But when the immigration officer upstairs saw these she gave them straight back to me and was only interested in the photocopies of my bank book. She also looked like she had never seen this "credit advice" before either, but seemed happy with my deal contract from the currency exchange service in the UK as proof of the transfer from overseas. So my advice would be to take that document if you have it.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Considering that banks ask for a work permit to open a bank account how does a tourist on a 30 day entry stamp go about getting the bank paperwork within 15 days of arrival in order to apply for the conversion?

It might be possible but not easy. You just have to keep trying different banks and branches of the same bank. In reality there is no requirement to have a work permit to open a bank account.

You can also get a the 30 day extension for the visa exempt entry to meet 15 day remaining requirement.

The best option is to get a single entry non-o visa if possible before entering the country or at least a single entry tourist visa.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It might be possible but not easy. You just have to keep trying different banks and branches of the same bank. In reality there is no requirement to have a work permit to open a bank account.

You can also get a the 30 day extension for the visa exempt entry to meet 15 day remaining requirement.

The best option is to get a single entry non-o visa if possible before entering the country or at least a single entry tourist visa.

I agree, but in reality the banks ask for one, even I have an existing account Kasikorn refused to open a new account for me without a work permit!

And Kasikorn are supposed to be one of the easier ones to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The OP is asking about converting to a Retirement Visa, can a 30 day stamp be converted to non-O for a spouse visa?

Yes

But it can only be done at Bangkok immigration and you must have at least 15 days remaining on your entry.