Husband and wife stole from temple donation boxes - but at least they said sorry to Buddha

rooster59

Husband and wife stole from temple donation boxes - but at least they said sorry to Buddha

S__23044160.jpg

Image: Thai News Agency

BANGKOK:-- A husband and wife have been arrested for more than thirty thefts from temple donation boxes. But they told the press that every time they stole they would go to apologize to the main Buddhist image in the chapel.

The married team used their baby as cover as they stole money in Bangkok and the surrounding areas. They had been in jail previously for the same kind of offences.

Jirasin and Pikunkaew Yanphat were paraded for the press yesterday along with a car, a motorbike and a bag and coins taken as evidence.

Police commissioner Sanit Mahathavorn also came along to give details about their crimes.

The couple told police that they drove their car to temples to case the joint then returned later on a motorbike. 

The wife would cradle their child in her arms and act as lookout while her husband forced the donation boxes. They always chose the early morning when the monks were out on their alms rounds.

But every time they stole they would make sure that they prostrated themselves before the main Buddhist image in the chapel to apologize for what they were doing. They hit 33 different temples in Bangkok and the Parimonthon area.

Commissioner Sanit said that the couple were apprehended after being spotted on CCTV stealing from Wat Pradu in the Taling Chan area of Bangkok on August 4th. They were rounded up at their home in Bang Kruay, Nonthaburi.

Sanit added that they had both been jailed for similar offences in 2014 after being caught stealing from Wat Benjamabophit. They had come out of prison last year and resumed their activities.

The husband and wife said they used the money for household expenses and betting on boxing matches.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-20

Not different really from sinners all over the world, where they go about the stealing,

cheating, lying and barking every commandment in the book, but goes the church,

mosque, temple or synagogue  and they're the most god loving

and fearing men and women on earth, hypocrisy and it's best.....

Edited by ezzra

If the temple donations were going back into schools and hospitals, very bad.

If the money was just lining some temple owner's pocket or to build a bigger golden statue, I'd said fair enough. 

There's no honour amongst thieves. 

When will poor people learn that they should steal from the rich and focus their anger on the rich. As for this story which is very common. Monks are supposed to be poor. None should have money stashed away. They should help poor people instead of putting money in bank accounts and building temples. Buddhism in Thailand is a farce.

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Not different really from sinners all over the world, where they go about the stealing,

Agree, and every single one of them is a fake. These people are obviously habitual criminals, a spell in jail did nothing to change them and no apologising to a statue is going to change that.

I feel very sorry for the poor kid, I hope there are decent family members who can take care of the little one whilst the parents are apologising for their crimes in prison.

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Bit of a twist here, stealing from monks.

Normally it is the other way round.

What absolute drivel.  Are you deliberately trying to put down Buddhism or just trying to please the Thai bashers? 

How many monks have you known in your time here, which I imagine is not very long.

I've known many monks and even spent 10 days in a temple. You couldn't be further from the truth. 

Have you ever been to a forest temple? If not, please keep your ignorant comments about the Sangha to yourself. Better still discuss it with your wife. 

2 hours ago, Johnniey said:

What absolute drivel.  Are you deliberately trying to put down Buddhism or just trying to please the Thai bashers? 

How many monks have you known in your time here, which I imagine is not very long.

I've known many monks and even spent 10 days in a temple. You couldn't be further from the truth. 

Have you ever been to a forest temple? If not, please keep your ignorant comments about the Sangha to yourself. Better still discuss it with your wife. 

Please wake up, How many stories have we all seen with reference to Monks that have been caught taking drugs, having sex (sometimes with underage girls) drinking, taking the temple takings and having a ball of a time in the jolly old USA, flying in helicopters to their next orgy & the latest one in Kanchanaburi where they were selling Tiger parts for profit, you really need to pay more attention to what's happening in the real world.

Monks are benter and more corrupt than the cops, oooh, I forgot, the vintage Merc imported in bits by a monk:cheesy:

Edited by Golden Triangle

9 hours ago, Johnniey said:

I think my 20 plus years here  are enough for me to be able to comment about this.

Have known many dishonest monks, many documented cases to study.

Yes i have spent time in a forest temple 48 kilometers north of Mai hong son.

Your personal attacks on me show your total ignorance of life here.

Better if you had stayed on shore street in Leith with all the other winos.

13 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

they obviously learnt this trick from the rich and famous; kill someone in a car accident and become a monk or nun for a week or two and all is forgiven.

apparently it did not work in this case. even their repentance could not save them. was it not their folly that asking for Buddha's forgiveness will absolve them of all sins.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

I think my 20 plus years here  are enough for me to be able to comment about this.

Have known many dishonest monks, many documented cases to study.

Yes i have spent time in a forest temple 48 kilometers north of Mai hong son.

Your personal attacks on me show your total ignorance of life here.

Better if you had stayed on shore street in Leith with all the other winos.

This kind of personal attack speak volumes about you dude. I don't drink and haven't had a single one for over 15 years.

Ironically you posted in another thread about getting your wife to illegally buy you opiates. I'll put your lack of integrity down to being an addict.

How much time did you spend in the temple? 1 hour.

13 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Please wake up, How many stories have we all seen with reference to Monks that have been caught taking drugs, having sex (sometimes with underage girls) drinking, taking the temple takings and having a ball of a time in the jolly old USA, flying in helicopters to their next orgy & the latest one in Kanchanaburi where they were selling Tiger parts for profit, you really need to pay more attention to what's happening in the real world.

Monks are benter and more corrupt than the cops, oooh, I forgot, the vintage Merc imported in bits by a monk:cheesy:

The new recruits aren't wat they used to be.Hard to give up,smoking,mobile phones etc.Just brings the whole idea into disrepute.

On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 5:42 PM, ezzra said:

Yep, Sunday morning Christians, Friday afternoon muslims, etc.

Hypocrisy at Its best, Indeed!!