connecting my house to the power

Piifo

Hi everyone,

My wife and I wish to buy a piece of land in her village, but the land we chose is a bit far from the last building. In fact it's a temple, the last house is quite far, on the main road. The temple is connected to power, but i guess it's a single phase connection as the people there use a pair of light bulbs and a fan. If I'm buying the land which is 150 m far from the temple I will need three phase. The main road is 800 m away.

So I need to consider the price of that power connection before buying the land, therefore guys, how much would it cost ? I think the government won't make people come to check the measures for an approximate price at all, as soon as the land is not mine, and the owner is not willing to take care of that.

If the price of the power connection to the land is as expensive as the land itself, I'd rather be careful.

What is your prospective load, you ought to have some idea as you say you need 3-phase?

How far from the existing transformer is your land?

Does the temple have 3-phase (count the wires on their supply poles)?

1-My expected load would be of 60/70 Amp.

2-The only existing transformer my wife sees is at the entry of the village, 1.5 Km away. They may be one closer but I can't recall, nevertheless it's a very small town, everybody using one-phase.

3-The temple has a single phase.

That said I understand it could cost me an arm.

60/70A per-phase or total? Is that taking diversity into account?

Don't forget Thailand is 220V so your 60-70A is 13 - 16 kW! (assuming total from the above question)

Any way of reducing that requirement, gas water heaters perhaps?

You're unlikely to get anything bigger than 45A single-phase so yes, if your load is correct you need 3-phase.

1.5km is a long run at 220V so you may have to factor in a transformer too (assuming 25kV is available nearer) :(

Your best bet is actually to head to your local PEA office armed with a map and a Thai speaker, you should come away with a ball-park figure.

EDIT But do try and do a proper prospective load calculation if you haven't already. Use the northern Aussie diversity calculations (close to what we have here), you may be surprised just how low you can go :)

I connected up 3 phase, and when I installed an Amp meter monitoring all the current (when on the emergency gen set), I was surprised how little current I was drawing. It was only about 12 Amps with one big air con, all the lights, all the fans. That did not include the pumps and garage, but, as Crossy says you will be surprised how little current you draw.

On the same matter, but off topic, a couple of my friends have built very near temples, and at certain times of the year the noise can be overbearing. Specially if the boss of the temple likes to use the microphone and installs large speakers on the water tower. The donation asking and loud distorted music can go on for a long time. Just cause it is quiet now, doesn't mean it will be in the future. 

I'm interested in the cost of getting electrical hook ups.

Initially, to get power I paid about 80,000 baht to get the electrical company to run power up the road then put some posts and wire from their temporary meter to our land.

I was under the impression that when I got a tabien baan that they would run a line to the house and put a permanent meter in for free.

Did all that and was told that there would be another 30,000 baht charge.

Decided to wait.

In the meantime a Thai person purchased the adjacent lot closer to the street.

His contractor told him he'd get the PEA to run posts and wire.

He had no problem with us shifting our wires to his posts.

We both asked the PEA to change the meters to permanent meters and were told the posts weren't PEA posts so we would have to take those posts out and replace them with identical PEA posts and, of course, pay.

The developer has, of course, been useless even though the Thai man paid him to have the PEA put their posts and wire in.

Seems insane to me to rip out the present posts and pay for identical posts to be p!anted.

Anyway, just wondering if there is some general guidelines for all this.

I know driving around the area that I see lots ofnThai homes with a (presumed) permanent meter on the road and then wires strung on mini-posts to their homes.

Just wondering if this is just a money grab by the local PEA guys or is this actually how it works.

1 hour ago, English Engineer said:

You could considean off grid solar system. and tan be  ecconomic is a long way from  PEA connection.

A solar system supplying 60 - 70 amps (Remember Solar systems supply D.C.) so a large inverter woul also be needed as well as a large battery bank for dc storage Z for night. This sounds impractible and very expensive excercise.in Thailand

Take all your detail, as suggested by Cross #5, to the PEA . The distance will also determine the cost, cable size , transformer etc. So dont expect a fast inexpensive exercise. Best of luck.

On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 5:36 PM, Crossy said:

60/70A per-phase or total? Is that taking diversity into account?

Don't forget Thailand is 220V so your 60-70A is 13 - 16 kW! (assuming total from the above question)

Any way of reducing that requirement, gas water heaters perhaps?

You're unlikely to get anything bigger than 45A single-phase so yes, if your load is correct you need 3-phase.

1.5km is a long run at 220V so you may have to factor in a transformer too (assuming 25kV is available nearer) :(

Your best bet is actually to head to your local PEA office armed with a map and a Thai speaker, you should come away with a ball-park figure.

EDIT But do try and do a proper prospective load calculation if you haven't already. Use the northern Aussie diversity calculations (close to what we have here), you may be surprised just how low you can go :)

Think your second last sentance says it all.

1 hour ago, Davehappen said:

Had three post put in by the eleccy board, 100 metres of cable,

cost 40000 baht, then get local eleccy to wire in house, 4000, not too bad I suppose. Oh and that included the meter.

Thanks, similar.

Ran the electric from PEA around 200 meters for 80,000.

Had no real objection to that.

They said temporary meter until we got the tabien baan so we ran our own wires from the meter.

Now we have the tabien baan they want more to run about another 100 meters with new posts even though the identical posts are in.

In the meantime they won't swap out the temporary meter (at roughly double the cost per KWh) until we run their posts, and I presume, wire.

As I said, I'm confused about their policies on this.

800 meter 3-phase with posts and wires can be in the area of up to 500,000 baht (is that an arm or a leg?), a transformer is also in that price range, if you have a high-voltage line nearby.
Even you pay for posts and wire, it will be a public line, if it's on government road, so everybody can connect to it and drain power from it.

If it's private road, you shall need permission from the land owners, and the line will be private.

3 hours ago, mankondang said:
5 hours ago, English Engineer said:

You could considean off grid solar system. and tan be  ecconomic is a long way from  PEA connection.

A solar system supplying 60 - 70 amps...

is financially sheer madness :sick:

Hi OP,

We have recently undertaken the same thing to provide electric power to our new house and some apartments annexing it.

firstly go to the PEA Office local to you

The apply for a temporary meter.

You will then have to have the full poles and wiring installed.

This has changed and you will be given an invoice ( for the temp meter)that you then need to take back to the office once the installation is complete.

The installation is as follows

Once you apply, a guy comes out and assesses your needs, along with a site survey to also assess the technical requirements by the PEA

You will then be given a quotation/ invoice, that you have to pay in full if you proceed

Costs

We had a 15 Amp 3 phase installed for a run length of 150 meters from the nearest pole point

cost -103,000 Bht

In addition to this cost is the cost of a temp meter ( approx 11,000 bht )

installation takes about 30 days or so for poles and wiring, a guy then inspects the work, ( 1 week ) and signs it off, you then take the signed off paperwork back to the PEA office to get another guy to come out and install a temp meter ( several days )

You then pay the 11,00 baht and pay 7 baht per unit 

When you have the house registration complete you can get a permanent meter for an addition cost of around 16, 000  Bht , but you get 10,000 refunded from the temp meter cost.

This when you can have your power at 4 baht / unit

NOTE - You will not get house registration until the house is at least 80% completed, a measure introduced to try and stop developers/ builders running off with your money and not completing the project ( another thread required on this  topic )

All this is a bit confusing, and if I can help further PM me 

Good Luck

Your first step is to find your local electricity supply office to get a quotation .  With the distance of your house to existing electrical supply , the cost is anybodies guess .

This is why people build houses in or near a village in Thailand .  In the meantime get a generator , solar power could also be an alternative .

Reading your question again , don't buy land and build a house so far from the village .  Thailand is not like western countries where farmhouses and cottages are dotted about in isolated countryside .  Living in or close to the village , means electrical connection will be easier , there may be a shop to walk to .  I believe isolated houses are much more likely to be broken into and robbed than houses closer to other habitations .

Archived