In what year do you hit old age?

ThaiPauly

I would have to say it starts at age 55. Up until then your body doesn't really feel it until then. 

But more importantly, it is how society treats you at this age. By 55 they start to treat you as being old. Too late to make a career change or start over. Nobody wants to hire you past age 60, but expects you to work until 67. Besides your parents, who may be gone by then, nobody wants you anymore. Your saving go down instead of up. No wonder the suicide rate is so high then. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Or when they call you 'papa'.

Had the aircons serviced  last week- the guys called me Papa.

After they had gone- had to crack open a bottle of Black Label and feel very sad! 

It's a tricky question- if you are in good health- have never stayed in a hospital all my life, never ever take pills and meds - feel fine- these days 70 is the new 60. 

It it depends on your outlook, my experience of my friends here is that they have a very good lifestyle - travel the world etc etc.Money helps. Having a stress free life helps very very much. 

My neighbour is 94- setting off shortly on a three month world cruise- I think it's attitude to life.

16 hours ago, manfredtillmann said:

when you let go of your dreams and ambitions, when you resign yourself to just being an old fart, when you forget what it was like to be young and stupid, when you think that taking care of your retirement finances is the most important thing, when you start talking to everyone around you about the state of your health, when your children's pubic hairs turn white, when you remember woodstock as something cool and not something you read about, when your wife went to school with janis joplin, when you go to bed at 19:30 and wake up at 08:00, only to be awake 6 hours in-between, pondering your life's shortcomings.

when you think you are old - you are. i think.

Great answer.

I think old age is in your head and your attitude towards life. I am 72 and still running on the beach every morning,  hiking for two hours with my wife, kayaking for a couple of hours, play tennis, and riding the bicycle. I have no problems in the sexual dept., in fact it is the best in my life. Probably because I have a sixty year old Thai wife who is sexy, smart, and has a dynamite body. A doctor friend of mine asked if I was on testosterone....No I said, why? He said most guys over sixty have erection issues. I also realize I am very lucky, no health issues, no weight issues. But I also have a zest for life, and eat smartly, and drink an occasional beer. Meditate every day. I think each individual decides for themselves when they are old. I was up in Chiang Mai last year helping a much younger friend. He had something heavy needed to be carried to the car which I offered to carry. He responded, "The Thais here would be angry at me for allowing an elderly person to carry this." I was shocked. I have never been referred to as elderly before, and don't see myself that way and was actually insulted.  So I repeat, it is all in the head.

12 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I would have to say it starts at age 55. Up until then your body doesn't really feel it until then. 

But more importantly, it is how society treats you at this age. By 55 they start to treat you as being old. Too late to make a career change or start over. Nobody wants to hire you past age 60, but expects you to work until 67. Besides your parents, who may be gone by then, nobody wants you anymore. Your saving go down instead of up. No wonder the suicide rate is so high then. 

I guess moving to Thailand, for me,  turned everything this poster has written, on its head.

As long as I keep exercising and eating right, I feel like I'm in my 30's or 40's.  

Thai society (at least in Isaan) treats older folks with considerable respect and honor.  I easily made a career change in my mid-50's.  I am deeply wai'd just about every place I go around here.  In group meetings, there is a noticeable deference to the older person's contributions.  

In my last (and current) job, I was hired at 62, and WANT to work at least until my late 60's, due to a very satisfying career.  

At 65, my savings started (and still are) going up due several retirement benefits kicking in from sources back in my home country.  Something which I had planned for.  Got a sensible insurance arrangement to cover the big unexpected events, so as not to deplete savings.   

Rather than suicide, I've never enjoyed life more.  

As I said in an earlier, post, it's all in the mind (and the good fortune of relocating to a great place!).  

Edited by Fookhaht

I've hit a plateau.  I was young until I matured in my early 40"s.  Since then I've tried to keep fit and keep my weight down, and I try new things whenever the chance comes up.  Ten+ years on and my fitness level is about the same as when I was in my 40"s (reasonably fit, run and cycle regularly when work schedules allow, but I'm no athlete).  I think many people are in the same stage - sort of a middle age plateau that we hope will last a bit longer.  I think (hope) if we keep fit the slide down hill will be a long way off and steep.

36 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

In the UK nobody wants to hire you when you are over 40.

Great to read posts from all the delusional old codgers who still think they're young when they're over 50.

Face reality guys, if the Thai women didn't need your money, they wouldn't choose to be with you.

"It's all in the mind" ha ha ha ........ no it isn't.

Edited by MissAndry

17 hours ago, Radar501 said:

I am about to hit 54, which is the age Dad was when he died from cancer.   Very very concerning.

These days, when I look in the mirror, I am haunted by the image of my father staring back at me.

Ummm.........what was the question again?

My advice to you is to break your mirror and your link with the past. My grandparents were first cousins when they married and my father died at age 22 his brother at 18 and another brother at 6 months. My grandfather died at age 45. My grandmother went on courtesy of religion and praying to age 91 so go figure. I am now 78 and still chugging along. Embrace life do not live in fear of death. You will be just another statistic soon enough. 

My advice to you is to break your mirror and your link with the past. My grandparents were first cousins when they married and my father died at age 22 his brother at 18 and another brother at 6 months. My grandfather died at age 45. My grandmother went on courtesy of religion and praying to age 91 so go figure. I am now 78 and still chugging along. Embrace life do not live in fear of death. You will be just another statistic soon enough. 

Why the pride over grandparents who were first cousins? And relevance?

Many posters here can't seperate actual physical age with how they feel at their age

Society says 60+ is old. Doesn't have to be a negative to say you are old.
Guys who defend a factual age as not being old when it is old clearly have an issue about their age and getting older.

Having a younger mindset is a different thing altogether, dudes

6 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

Many posters here can't seperate actual physical age with how they feel at their age

Society says 60+ is old. Doesn't have to be a negative to say you are old.
Guys who defend a factual age as not being old when it is old clearly have an issue about their age and getting older.

Having a younger mindset is a different thing altogether, dudes

Let's not get so exclusive in our definitions.  Three things at play here:

1) body age
2) mental mindset
3) how surrounding people view you (society)

If I'm feeling good?   screw body age.
Public opinion?  screw society.
The thing I can best control:  Embrace the mindset.  

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

Great answer.

I think old age is in your head and your attitude towards life. I am 72 and still running on the beach every morning,  hiking for two hours with my wife, kayaking for a couple of hours, play tennis, and riding the bicycle. I have no problems in the sexual dept., in fact it is the best in my life. Probably because I have a sixty year old Thai wife who is sexy, smart, and has a dynamite body. A doctor friend of mine asked if I was on testosterone....No I said, why? He said most guys over sixty have erection issues. I also realize I am very lucky, no health issues, no weight issues. But I also have a zest for life, and eat smartly, and drink an occasional beer. Meditate every day. I think each individual decides for themselves when they are old. I was up in Chiang Mai last year helping a much younger friend. He had something heavy needed to be carried to the car which I offered to carry. He responded, "The Thais here would be angry at me for allowing an elderly person to carry this." I was shocked. I have never been referred to as elderly before, and don't see myself that way and was actually insulted.  So I repeat, it is all in the head.

a distant neighbour of mine, my guess is, he is in his 70's, rode his bicycle from that phanom to vietnam last year!!! i know, it's only a few hundred km's of undulating road, and he is from norway so he does know hills, but...

i felt a lot older 5 years ago than what i do feel like now. if it keeps going at this rate, i'll hit puberty again by 2040 or so :D

Let's not get so exclusive in our definitions.  Three things at play here:

1) body age
2) mental mindset
3) how surrounding people view you (society)

If I'm feeling good?   screw body age.
Public opinion?  screw society.
The thing I can best control:  Embrace the mindset.  

Nothing exclusive about it.
If you are feeling good and are 75 you are still old of age...you just have a good mindset.
Mindsets of good intention can easily be limited by external factors out of people's control

I think this is missing the point a little.

A man of 94 going on  a three month cruise is great, but it's an old man going on a cruise. Similarly a 72-year old man doing a 100km bike trip is admirable, but still an old man riding a bike.

"Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again". 

Whatever age you all decide as being old, don't regret it, it is a privilege that many won't have...............;)

1 minute ago, partington said:

A man of 94 going on  a three month cruise is great, but it's an old man going on a cruise. Similarly a 72-year old man doing a 100km bike trip is admirable, but still an old man riding a bike.

i know people who were a lot older at age 35 than i'll ever be. age has many faces...

Albert-Einstein-sticks-hi-001.jpg

38 minutes ago, partington said:

No, I think your post is missing the point by a great deal.

Who has the right to pidgeon-hole old age?   

Society?  If you have a western mentality, you're over-the-hill, useless, and marginalized after 40 or 50.  That writes off Eienstein, Ghandi, Churchill, and a few other giants of humanity.   When I was a teenager in the 70's, peer pressure pushed us not to trust anyone over 30.  Society does not have a very stable benchmark when it comes to age.     

Chronology?  We've already beaten that horse to death on this thread.  The above poster who volunteered to carry a heavy load for his younger friend was a good case in point.

Mindset?  You have the total right to define yourself, especially in defiance of society and chronology, when appropriate.  The studies are up to your neck about how mindset can affect the body and longevity.  I choose that which I can control:  mindset.  I'm only as old as I define myself.  Screw society and/or chronology.    Some will call it delusional, but it works for me.     I'm a pragmatist.  I refuse to let society/chronology drag me down to a slobbering idiot in a wheelchair--until I actually get there. 

Edited by Fookhaht

1 hour ago, Fookhaht said:

I guess moving to Thailand, for me,  turned everything this poster has written, on its head.

As long as I keep exercising and eating right, I feel like I'm in my 30's or 40's.  

Thai society (at least in Isaan) treats older folks with considerable respect and honor.  I easily made a career change in my mid-50's.  I am deeply wai'd just about every place I go around here.  In group meetings, there is a noticeable deference to the older person's contributions.  

In my last (and current) job, I was hired at 62, and WANT to work at least until my late 60's, due to a very satisfying career.  

At 65, my savings started (and still are) going up due several retirement benefits kicking in from sources back in my home country.  Something which I had planned for.  Got a sensible insurance arrangement to cover the big unexpected events, so as not to deplete savings.   

Rather than suicide, I've never enjoyed life more.  

As I said in an earlier, post, it's all in the mind (and the good fortune of relocating to a great place!).  

So are you saying that this is what everyone should expect, or at least the average person, when they turn 60 years old? Including making a big career change and earning more money then they ever did in there life before? Or are you saying that you are the exception and only came here to brag about it?

Let's face it! There isn't a person here who wouldn't turn back the clock if they could. So that should be enough to tell you what people really think about their Golden Years. You say you feel like you are in your 30's and 40's but you are not. Chances are you are not going to live another 30 or 40 years, and like you can expect at age 30. But it is easier to accept things that you cannot change.  

1 minute ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

So are you saying that this is what everyone should expect, or at least the average person, when they turn 60 years old? Including making a big career change and earning more money then they ever did in there life before? Or are you saying that you are the exception and only came here to brag about it?

Let's face it! There isn't a person here who wouldn't turn back the clock if they could. So that should be enough to tell you what people really think about their Golden Years. You say you feel like you are in your 30's and 40's but you are not. Chances are you are not going to live another 30 or 40 years, and like you can expect at age 30. But it is easier to accept things that you cannot change.  

I am saying that people often let the description "old age" sell themselves out too soon.  I appreciate those who hold up a model of a positive mindset to ameliorate the effects of advancing years.  

Your second paragraph focuses upon regret (wishing to turn the clock back) and a negative mindset.  Yes, it is easier to accept the things I cannot change, but I don't accept the things I CAN change.  The things I can change are my mental outlook, and overall health by healthy living.  Let disease and deterioration come, but at least I didn't hasten it by living with regret and resignation in the present.   

Medical science has without doubt extended our lifespans. I'd probably be dead without a few surgical and pharmaceutical interventions along the way. For citizens in the former Soviet Union, life expectancy on average was about 50 years.

For me, old age will be when I can no longer:

1/ Drive a scooter or car here with competence and confidence.

2/ Play golf and have a couple of drinks.

3/ Enjoy a good shag with my Thai GF

4/ Manage my financial affairs maintaining a stable asset base each year

5/ Read a good book

6/ Take TV as a source of comedy

I'm 73. IMHO some of the posters on this thread are setting their sights very low. Perhaps their expectations of old age will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

4 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

he does not have to live another 30 or 40 years - because he has lived them!

we all have this one opening to happiness and success and glory - and some make it early, some late, some never.

age is just the space between the beginning and the end, there are pros and cons to every period you have to pass through.

1 minute ago, Fookhaht said:

I am saying that people often let the description "old age" sell themselves out too soon.  I appreciate those who hold up a model of a positive mindset to ameliorate the effects of advancing years.  

Your second paragraph focuses upon regret (wishing to turn the clock back) and a negative mindset.  Yes, it is easier to accept the things I cannot change, but I don't accept the things I CAN change.  The things I can change are my mental outlook, and overall health by healthy living.  Let disease and deterioration come, but at least I didn't hasten it by living with regret and resignation in the present.   

So you are saying that if you could by some magic go back to age 30 years old, you would choose to stay where you are? 

This has nothing to do with regret. Although I doubt there is a man alive who at some point in his life wished he had done things differently. 

75 and beyond is "old" age. Considering that max human life span is 100 years then anyone over 75 is in their last quarter of their lives.  By age 85 (men) half or more of your contemporaries would have died.

Albert Einstein lived until 76 yo. Perhaps he could have lived longer but decided not to have further surgery to  repair an aortic aneurysm and let nature take its course.

So yes,  I am old.

1 hour ago, manfredtillmann said:

a distant neighbour of mine, my guess is, he is in his 70's, rode his bicycle from that phanom to vietnam last year!!! i know, it's only a few hundred km's of undulating road, and he is from norway so he does know hills, but...

And when he gets knocked off his bike, how long will it take for him to recover?

You can recover from a lot of knocks very easily when under 30, after that age recovery is slower, after 70 never.

5 hours ago, bark said:

Your old when that 23 year girl at Nana/Cowboy, turns down you and your 2,000 baht.

So you need 3000 baht on the table instead. It isn't rocket science.

Perhaps it's not related to age. Maybe you are not hansum man.