Resident visa at consulate's only

Nick ZepTepi

Oh my, here we go again and again.  Resident visa? Not likely.  Resident Certificate?  Certificate for residents?  What is a resident?

certificate of residence?  They shut that down a while ago.

Edited by Bill97

Oh my, here we go again and again.  Resident visa? Not likely.  Resident Certificate?  Certificate for residents?  What is a resident?

Type o, calm down.

Sent from my mobile, please forgive the autocorrect.

Oh my here we go again.
Grammar Nazi who hasn't got any sense of empathy.

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Is the agent that was handling this no longer able to do so? Certificate of residence.....

I'd heard that office had moved upstairs where a camera shop had been....

I used them for one about 3 months ago....

Edited by pgrahmm

One of the most confusing threads for a while.

The wrong title is totally misleading.

To the point:

Chiang Mai immigration does not issue residence certificates.

You have to get it from your consulate/embassy in Bangkok (for a price usually).

My next question is can I go to the next nearest office

No you can't.

I can't help about the procedure at the UK embassy.

Quite sure someone will help out.

Edited by KhunBENQ

You need to show residence in the immigration area that you would be applying for the certificate of residency. If you can do that for Chiang Rai then yes if not I would say no. Another option is to ask the Department of Land Transportation if they will accept a cr from the local police?

You need to show residence in the immigration area that you would be applying for the certificate of residency. If you can do that for Chiang Rai then yes if not I would say no. Another option is to ask the Department of Land Transportation if they will accept a cr from the local police?

I didn't know the police can issue CR.?

I went to the transport office with everything but the lady at the reception desk said I must have a CR. And suggested I get a international driving licence, not knowing these have to be applied for in person in the UK.

I've also checked the UK embassy website, costs as usual are high, but they list independent proof of address like a utility bill which I don't have being resident for only 1 week.

The other irony is the police have a check point on the main highway towards my condo!

Arse! [emoji16]

I just moved back to Chiang Rai after 2 years in CM; not likely that you could get one here (landlord needs to report the tenant/alien to immigration before you even apply), so in essence you apply where you live.  That said CR immigration is a very different experience to CM and I will go there in the next few days anyway, and will ask.  I would talk to the DLT (department of land transport) in CM first and explain your situation, maybe they have a work around for the certificate of residence now that CM immg won't issue them anymore.

1 minute ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

I didn't know the police can issue CR.?

I went to the transport office with everything but the lady at the reception desk said I must have a CR. And suggested I get a international driving licence, not knowing these have to be applied for in person in the UK.

I've also checked the UK embassy website, costs as usual are high, but they list independent proof of address like a utility bill which I don't have being resident for only 1 week.

The other irony is the police have a check point on the main highway towards my condo!

Arse! emoji16.png

There are no more CR being issued at Chiang Mai Immigration as of yesterday. Yes the local police can issue a CR. Some will and some won't. They may or may not charge a You need to ask fee. You would need to inform the DLT why your asking about this other wise its a trip to Bangkok.

I just moved back to Chiang Rai after 2 years in CM; not likely that you could get one here (landlord needs to report the tenant/alien to immigration before you even apply), so in essence you apply where you live.  That said CR immigration is a very different experience to CM and I will go there in the next few days anyway, and will ask.  I would talk to the DLT (department of land transport) in CM first and explain your situation, maybe they have a work around for the certificate of residence now that CM immg won't issue them anymore.

Thanks for the ask.

I've tried to explain at DLT but it didn't pass the first lady on the main reception desk. Even with my Thai girlfriend pleading my case.
[emoji17]

Sold my car to one of the 2nd hand car "tents", the owner knows his way around but could not find a way around the certificate of residence problem. This after contacting his contacts at DLT so I guess no way around.

A related question: I am Dutch and we have no (hon.) consul in CM, is it possible for a (hon.) consul to issue a CR for a person of another nationality ?

For the Dutch it seems very difficult as the Embassy/consulate requests a proof that one has really emigrated, this has to be less than 6 months old and can applied for at a Dutch municipality, which sends it, I hope, to my Thai address and I send it with other documents to the Dutch Consulate which might issue a CR so that I can sell my car.

Welcome to Kafkaland.

Joop

re

I'm off to the cop shop!

i wouldnt hold your breath there :)

i tried to get some tourist police men to sign and stamp a

proof of life form ... for the english pension people last week

and after half an hour of umming and aaahing the answer

from six of them was cannot

i told them all it was for was to prove i was still alive but not one had the nuts to sign it 

dave2

in the end my doctor signd it for me ;)

police station inside 5 apr 16 20160405_105405.jpg

Central cop shop told me to go back to promenada,
Traffic police where you pay fine said try airport immigration.
Embassy won't take condo contract as evidence of where I live.
I think I'll have to play dodge the cops and pay the fine at the main station instead of the 300 baht tea money fine I got yesterday.

Updates when promenada start the TM30 again would be appreciated.

13 minutes ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

I think I'll have to play dodge the cops and pay the fine at the main station instead of the 300 baht tea money fine I got yesterday.

Out of interest what yours nationality ?

16 minutes ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

TM30 has not been stopped at Promenada, you mean certificate of residence?