Surprise-New Retirement Ext. Requirement in Phuket

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

A bit of background:  Phuket Immigration Offices generally used to charge for the "free" proof of residence documents, keep the 100 baht change from the retirement application, and they set up a little money earner at the airport by charging for a fast processing lane. (something you get with your Elite card!)  Extensions then were always processed with little fuss.

A few years ago a small, but very vocal, group of westerners started to complain about these little perks. Their complaints to media, the ombudsman, and others had the effect of getting a number of Officers transferred off the Island, and a crackdown on processing and money collection procedures which made it impossible for them to benefit from their rorts. 

It seems they have reacted by making life difficult for their clients. Every time you go there it seems a different piece of paper or requirement is asked for. I've seen elderly retirees, who have lived here for 30+ years nearly in tears after being sent for more and more paperwork, from their banks and others, resulting in four trips to Immigration before being granted their extension.

It's generally believed the officers want as many as possible to use agents who pay commissions.

This - Exactly.  Fighting "low level corruption" only forces it to higher levels (agents, lawyers, etc), which costs the end-user far more; we see the same result from the ED Visa crackdown.  Much better to pay 300 Baht in unofficial fees for a retirement visa than 15,000+ Baht to an agent, no?

So-called "corrupt" countries are actually the least expensive, in terms of what the average person must pay in 'fees' - with "official / legal" fees (see: "agents" in this context) being the most expensive of all.  So when there is a move to "stamp out corruption," be prepared to "open your wallet" for what comes next.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tails said:

i'm a non-b and have always been asked for a photo with the house number

i bought stick on numbers for my letterbox from home-maimee-pro

What immigration office? Extension of stay for what reason?

18 hours ago, wpcoe said:

What do condo residents do?  A picture of their condo unit door with the unit number?  Do many condos have their street address number posted on the front of the building?

I had to do this in phuket immigration too for my ED visa. Picture inside the condo, picture outside the front door with number visible, picture standing in front of the building with building number visible too (which mine has luckily). Plus a google map and location. I originally put all 4 on 1 page, had to redo it as it was not accepted, 1 large pic per page.

I notice people saying they get visits from Immigration and photos are taken. I have often seen Thais take photos to prove that they were somewhere or did something (probably to their boss) so wonder if the requirement for the picture in front of the house is used by the Immigration Officer to prove they did a home visit so they can have a lazy day somewhere away from the office.

On 8/25/2016 at 1:55 AM, muzmurray said:

Incorrect, the photo of the residence was only ever a requirement for an extension of stay based on marriage, never for retirement.

It is a requirement in CM as well if you apply for an extension being the father of a Thai child.

I had to provide these picks when doing my first retirement extension in Sakon Nakhon four years ago. I would think that anybody that has been in Thailand for a few years would know that all immigration offices are not equal.

I have to do the same thing for my annual extension for work. Chaeng Wattana want the address of the work premises and especially the building number to be very prominently displayed on the building with me also in the photo.

No idea why.

Maybe my question is stupid, but talking about the present rule (current on the 29th of August 2016......) for retirement visa in Phuket, the pictures must be printed on a standard A4 sheet of paper, or on a 4x6 photographic paper ?

Thanks 

Federico

• Like 1

On 25/08/2016 at 6:48 PM, Maestro said:

What immigration office? Extension of stay for what reason?

first time I did the photo was when on non-o based on marriage, then I had to do it again after registering the business at my address

Edited by tails

On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 1:42 PM, federicoP said:

Maybe my question is stupid, but talking about the present rule (current on the 29th of August 2016......) for retirement visa in Phuket, the pictures must be printed on a standard A4 sheet of paper, or on a 4x6 photographic paper ?

Thanks 

Federico

Not stupid at all! I'm still waiting for someone to say exactly what is required or what was accepted from them.

There's another thread running on this same subject where no one has stated exactly what is required, either.

5 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Not stupid at all! I'm still waiting for someone to say exactly what is required or what was accepted from them.

There's another thread running on this same subject where no one has stated exactly what is required, either.

For 10 years all over Thailand I have used an inkjet printer and photographic paper with no problems.  I have never used plain paper.  Why would you use plain paper to print a photo?  It is like printing forms on toilet paper, I guess you could buy why would you?

1 hour ago, Scotwight said:

For 10 years all over Thailand I have used an inkjet printer and photographic paper with no problems.  I have never used plain paper.  Why would you use plain paper to print a photo?  It is like printing forms on toilet paper, I guess you could buy why would you?

Because A4 paper is easier to be filed.

They asked me to rdecude a Chanote and to present it in A4 format, they asked me to present all the photocopies of documents oriented in a way that they do not need to turn the paper to read it...

It could be rational (from certain point of view......)  to ask also the pictures printed on A4 format.

52 minutes ago, federicoP said:

Because A4 paper is easier to be filed.

They asked me to rdecude a Chanote and to present it in A4 format, they asked me to present all the photocopies of documents oriented in a way that they do not need to turn the paper to read it...

It could be rational (from certain point of view......)  to ask also the pictures printed on A4 format.

A4 is a size not a format and has nothing to do with printing a photo.  A format is like 8 by 10 or A4 

page.png

Edited by Scotwight

Not sure what Phuket will want. They should accept a printed out photo on a A4 paper. Offices that want real photos done by a photo shop want the photos to be glued on A4 paper.

I print out the photos for my extension based upon marriage on A4 photo paper with two 5" X 7" photos on each page. I also do the photos for my application form and print them on photo paper for making stickers. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what Phuket will want. They should accept a printed out photo on a A4 paper. Offices that want real photos done by a photo shop want the photos to be glued on A4 paper.

I print out the photos for my extension based upon marriage on A4 photo paper with two 5" X 7" photos on each page. I also do the photos for my application form and print them on photo paper for making stickers. 

From Rozz the Immi. volunteer at Phuket town:

1. It is correct that you will need a photo of you in front of your house, with the address visible.

2. The picture can be printed on regular A-4 paper, in color or black and white, as a long as the address clearly visible.

2 hours ago, xvend said:

I've had nothing but smooth operations here for 8 years in Phuket. Just saying, maybe the problem is not them.

Can you indicate when the last time you have done an extension, and what the reason was and what paperwork was required.

Also, the next time you do an extension, if anything changes.

1 minute ago, 4evermaat said:

Can you indicate when the last time you have done an extension, and what the reason was and what paperwork was required.

Also, the next time you do an extension, if anything changes.

Hi,

The OP seems upset he had to take a photo. My last extension was May 2016, easiest ever.

I am on a Non-B, but I can relay to you as I have 300+ customers per day, mostly on retirement and some non-b, that immigration is taking a serious look at documents and their authenticity.

Examples being is that Immigration will visit your workplace or home. I've had the workplace part visited and verified. I wasn't there.

This photo thing is nothing new at all in Phuket, 5 years I've had to it. I also rent the same place for many years, and 2 years ago they wanted to see my lease.

So what? If you are legitimate it's like a 20 minute hassle.

2016, easiest ever to extend my visa (Non-b) because I more than meet all the requirements to do so.

• Like 1

Also, in Phuket, everybody is freaking out because they are only getting 90 day extensions, instead of 1 year.

Reason? Dodgy documentation.

For better or for worse, I think the days of visa agents are numbered.

Edited by xvend
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xvend said:

Also, in Phuket, everybody is freaking out because they are only getting 90 day extensions, instead of 1 year.

Reason? Dodgy documentation.

For better or for worse, I think the days of visa agents are numbered.

An extension based upon what?

Normally only those attending informal schools and some volunteers get 90 day extensions.

I doubt that anybody that qualifies for a one year extension are getting 90 day extensions. If they didn't qualify for the one year extension their applications would of been denied.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

An extension based upon what?

Normally only those attending informal schools and some volunteers get 90 day extensions.

I doubt that anybody that qualifies for a one year extension are getting 90 day extensions. If they didn't qualify for the one year extension their applications would of been denied.

did you read the part about dodgy documentation? Non -b and retirement visa holders in Phuket are under severe scrutiny.

This is a fact.

Many Retirement visa holders in Phuket are no longer allowed to have their visa agents to season the money for them. They are checking everything.

The non-b people are having immigration show up to their offices to find no one there in PHUKET. Ghost employees.

Unless my own 2 eyes are confused, please tell me differently in Phuket.

In the past 2 years

Seasoning the 800K by an agent is fraud - no wonder agents are being investigated.

Anyhow this is about new requirements for retirement extensions in Phuket.

What aliens have to do for marriage or non B extensions is not applicable to the topic.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

Seasoning the 800K by an agent is fraud - no wonder agents are being investigated.

Anyhow this is about new requirements for retirement extensions in Phuket.

What aliens have to do for marriage or non B extensions is not applicable to the topic.

Please explain how it's different? A retirement visa requires a proof of income, same as marriage and Non-B, please expand on your thought. I patiently await your reply.

Edited by xvend

so it was ok to cheat before? Commit fraud?

The laws have not changed, They're just checking more thoroughly now.

Lot's of people in Phuket are screwed now and an easy detection method is once a nice person turns into a complete A-hole. Visa problems 99.9%

Edited by xvend

7 minutes ago, xvend said:

so it was ok to cheat before? Commit fraud?

The laws have not changed, They're just checking more thoroughly now.

Lot's of people in Phuket are screwed now and an easy detection method is once a nice person turns into a complete A-hole. Visa problems 99.9%

I'm sorry you have difficulty comprehending that my reply referred to The Topic not my comment on fraud.

• Like 1