Tourists lucky to escape injury after restaurant roof collapse on Koh Larn

webfact

Tourists lucky to escape injury after restaurant roof collapse on Koh Larn

a2.jpg

Image: Daily News

PATTAYA: -- Some twenty diners at a Chinese beachside restaurant on Koh Larn were luck to escape injury after a roof collapsed.

Two people were slightly hurt when the roof at the "Foo Long" restaurant on Ta Waen beach caved in - one was an unnamed Chinese tourist, the other a 60 year old bag seller called Daeng Cheuanarom, reported Daily News.

The restaurant had ten booths selling goods out front, six of which were damaged.

Reporters discovered that the Foo Long is owned by a Chinese businessman who was not there when police and Pattaya authorities arrived. 

They understand that the local authorities had ordered the owner - known as "Ah Chen" - to build a new roof some time ago when they deemed it unsafe after seeing it was damaged. Nothing had been done.

The likely cause of the collapse was vibrations from piling work on a three story hotel being built next door.

Witnesses said there were some twenty Thai and Chinese tourists in the restaurant at the time of the collapse.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-25

Since moving to Thailand from a nanny state over a decade ago, I realized early on that a person has to take more responsibility for their own safety:  don't step on the manhole covers, avoid the iron bars holding up awnings, don't touch the eye-level high-voltage cables, remember that all stairs aren't created equal, ad infinitum.  

However, some things you just don't think about and cannot avoid.  Heck, I've eaten at that restaurant with Thai friends on at least three occasions.  Note to Self:  upon entering every eatery, check the roof joists.  

Where have we heard this before,   officialdom tells someone to do something but it's ignored   ?

Dare I ask if there was any follow up action or jut a warning and that was that    ?   

If the roof was unsafe why wasn't there a closure order until the repairs were completed   ?

All the usual questions but don't worry about the answers.

was this about the same time of day as the earthquake in Myanmar ? also felt in Bangkok ?

I would think it was more to do with the building shaking due to the stampede by the Chinese to the buffet

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Where have we heard this before,   officialdom tells someone to do something but it's ignored   ?

Dare I ask if there was any follow up action or jut a warning and that was that    ?   

If the roof was unsafe why wasn't there a closure order until the repairs were completed   ?

All the usual questions but don't worry about the answers.

TIT.............for better or worse :whistling:

They understand that the local authorities had ordered the owner - known as "Ah Chen" - to build a new roof some time ago when they deemed it unsafe after seeing it was damaged. Nothing had been done.

Not even propped up by a stack of brown envelopes?

This beach is a massive disgrace. If someone somewhere wishes to learn how to turn a naturally paradisiac sandy cove (white sand, turquoise water, with coconut trees sloping  in the background) into an ugly tourist factory, all they need to do is visit this place and copy all that's been done there.

Now it's a 95% Chinese tourists destination.

The Han hordes are transferred by boat from Pattaya directly to a huge eyesore of a concrete pier that was built right there to increase efficiency, then flown 2 minutes each on some rickety parascending (I believe that's the word) device, then possibly given a ride (2 minutes each) on some even more rickety jetski, and then comes the ONE activity that the whole day is centered on : gorging oneself with mediocre seafood in one of these 'restaurants', some of which can seat several hundreds. If you're on a slimming diet and want to put yourself off food for a few days, all you have to do is stand there and watch these groups stuff themselves.

To call these places restaurants is, to say the least, an overstatement. Imagine an abandoned aircraft hangar turned into a canteen by a derelict hippy community and you'll have some idea of what they're really like. Environment ? Ecology ? Maintenance ? Security ? Ekiss me,  Misseter, we no have ...

Edited by Yann55

14 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

Since moving to Thailand from a nanny state over a decade ago, I realized early on that a person has to take more responsibility for their own safety:  don't step on the manhole covers, avoid the iron bars holding up awnings, don't touch the eye-level high-voltage cables, remember that all stairs aren't created equal, ad infinitum.  

However, some things you just don't think about and cannot avoid.  Heck, I've eaten at that restaurant with Thai friends on at least three occasions.  Note to Self:  upon entering every eatery, check the roof joists.  

always check item inside box is what you choose..check the light bulb works not the one the Thai brought in for replacement got re-stocked by mistake..ops..challenges every day with self...same same but different.