Chiang Mai Police Issue Warning to Local Art Student After Red Light Sleeping Art Piece Goes Viral

webfact

Police Issue Warning to Local Art Student After Red Light Sleeping Art Piece Goes Viral

by CityNews

14045534_1060760913977431_22929254695879

Photo: Facebook ‘Norapat KamMart’

CityNews – Police decided to get involved after photos of a local art student’s photos picturing him sleeping in various places around Chiang Mai including the Rin Come Junction, telling the student that his behaviour was not appropriate and dangerous.

On august 27, a photo was posted to the Facebook account ofNorapat KamMart depicting a man sleeping with a pillow and blanket, on the crossing in front of traffic waiting at a red light. The image soon went viral with online news and Facebook users claiming it was a protest against the extremely long traffic light wait at the notorious junction.

The image was shared thousands of times, causing the local Police to get involved.

After a short investigation, they identified the art student and called him into the police station to receive a warning. They told the man that although the action was not illegal, it was dangerous and not an appropriate type of behaviour for someone in local society.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/police-issue-warning-to-local-art-student-after-red-light-sleeping-art-piece-goes-viral/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2016-08-30

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

Yes keep your expressions and opinions to yourself, the regime doesn't appreciate it.

It has nothing to do with the regime.

Simple common sense can see that it is outright dangerous and stupid to 'sleep' on traffic crossing during a red light stop.

What happen if more people like him start doing so elsewhere?

Police have to maintain some kind of law and order. He was given just a verbal warning. Not that he was thrown into the lock up.

He is studying art. He can use his brain to come up with a better interpretation of his idea and expression.

I think it is more of a publicity stun for him.

Ps

I understand n experienced the long wait at that junction before. The bottleneck traffic jam there is notorious. 

Edited by Smiles

I often find it a good idea to read the.full article before commenting.

"The art student told the press that the individual photo was part of a series of photos depicting him sleeping in various places (view here) around Chiang Mai including the steps of Doi Suthep and at Thapae Gate. He said the photos was parodying his ability to sleep almost any where and was not part of any protest against traffic or politics."

Ironically or intentionally ( I doubt unintentionally ) he has chosen the worse traffic congestion intersection in the city to depict his 'expression' .

If I am his Art lecturer , I will give him a 'F' for his bad interpretation . hahahaha

5 hours ago, webfact said:

They told the man that although the action was not illegal, it was dangerous and not an appropriate type of behaviour for someone in local society.

The Thai Police, the expert you can trust on illegal, inappropriate and dangerous actions and behavior within and without Thai society. :D

5 hours ago, Smiles said:

Ironically or intentionally ( I doubt unintentionally ) he has chosen the worse traffic congestion intersection in the city to depict his 'expression' .

If I am his Art lecturer , I will give him a 'F' for his bad interpretation . hahahaha

He probably grew tired of waiting to cross.   

As you say, it's the worst traffic intersection in the city, and there is no provision for pedestrian crossings.  One just has to hope that the red light runners can be beaten before a crossing is attempted.

Great Idea of an Artist showing some Living Impression.

We can discuss the location, composition, lighting, and focusing of the photograph, but the idea is original.

Look at all the reactions provoked.
Well done !! 

Yes, as a tourist, tried crossing that intersection many times, while cobwebs grew between my legs. 

Plenty of time for a nap, gather up your bedclothes, and get the rest of the way across the street with time to spare.  Apparently the BIB are not familiar with it. 

6 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

I often find it a good idea to read the.full article before commenting.

"The art student told the press that the individual photo was part of a series of photos depicting him sleeping in various places (view here) around Chiang Mai including the steps of Doi Suthep and at Thapae Gate. He said the photos was parodying his ability to sleep almost any where and was not part of any protest against traffic or politics."

I sure am glad we got that straightened out. Art takes many forms photography being one. I guess that you could say this casts a bad image of the country. Kind of reminds me of the Mexican statutes of a Mexican with a big sombero sleeping under a palm tree. 

Peeing my pants while waiting for this lady to wake up so I could pay her my 2-baht toilet money.  Finally sneaked past her, uttering oaths under my breath. 

Heck, never occurred to me it might have been an art work in progress. 

Image022.jpg

This, in a country where imperious drivers kill hundreds each year with their "vehicle hierarchy" mentality. Perhaps the BIB could issue some warnings to drivers who feel they own the road by virtue of having a larger vehicle.