Poll: Do you use "old man" bar soap in your bath/shower?

Jingthing

Poll: Do you use "old man" bar soap in your bath/shower?  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

When soap was invented?  Heck, in the 1950's (North America) everyone had their Saturday night bath (only) whether they needed it or not.   Soap of choice?   Tide (laundry detergent) sprinkled liberally into the bath water.    

Oh, how far we've come, making the body-care companies very happy and very rich.   

What? You must be second-generation Eurp, no one in my family bathed only once a week.  You'd have to go back to the 19th century for Saturday night only baths to be common-place.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No news day then!!!! OP it a yank thing there again I thought most yanks didn't wash anyway! I can assure you they still do use bar soap in uk. I have 5 children 4 in UK one here in Thailand. All my children and there kids use bar soap how do I know easy having lived with all of them whilst on holidays ect here we all use bar soaps.

Edited by Deepinthailand

4 minutes ago, smotherb said:

What? You must be second-generation Eurp, no one in my family bathed only once a week.  You'd have to go back to the 19th century for Saturday night only baths to be common-place.

Well, congratulations on your aromatic & sanitized progressiveness!   :clap2: 

Now that I live in a tropical climate, I've broken my tradition to upgrade to twice weekly.  Only in the hot season.  ;)

Edited by Fookhaht

6 hours ago, Kabula said:

This is the strangest poll I've ever seen!

Most everyone uses bar soap. Young and old.

Where did the , "old man bar soap," comment come from?

A whiskey bottle?:cheesy:

Apparently not most people use the  bar soap. 

Where did the old man bar soap comment come from?

It was here, my dude:

http://www.sfgate.com/living/article/Bar-soap-slowing-dying-out-thanks-to-millennials-9191450.php

Only old men (60+) still like using bars of Irish Spring, Dial, etc.

Speaking of brands indeed the iconic DIAL bar soap was my brand all through my life when I lived in the U.S. Never used it in Thailand ... is it even sold here?

Tried Irish Spring as a kid ... seemed too straight a soap to me.

I remember as a kid my Dad had this amazingly abrasive soap called LAVA which actually was really good for washing hands after working on cars. But I think in a bath would scrape your skin off. 

Edited by Jingthing

Sorry total brain fart. 
Don't worry -- not running for president.

My long running U.S. bar soap brand was IVORY SOAP. Not Dial!

Yes, I tried Dial, but IVORY rules. 

Floats in water!

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Apparently not most people use the  bar soap. 

Where did the old man bar soap comment come from?

It was here, my dude:

Speaking of brands indeed the iconic DIAL bar soap was my brand all through my life when I lived in the U.S. Never used it in Thailand ... is it even sold here?

Tried Irish Spring as a kid ... seemed too straight a soap to me.

I remember as a kid my Dad had this amazingly abrasive soap called LAVA which actually was really good for washing hands after working on cars. But I think in a bath would scrape your skin off. 

LAVA is still available and scrapes off more skin than an exfoliation scrub at a Korean Jjimjibang.

I use soaps...both bar and liquid...that have NO animal products in them. Many bar soap ares made with "tallow"...aka animal fat...mainly from sheep and cattle. Also, cannot use highly perfumed soaps or laundry detergents. Assault on the olfactories! Must be lightly and naturally fragranced...such as tamarind, citrus, turmeric, etc.  :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, smotherb said:

I don't know about that smotherb. I was born in the early 1950's in Oz. We were once a week bathers and we used one of these

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_heater.

You'll probably find some pictures on google if they are still being used.

Cheers

26 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

I use soaps...both bar and liquid...that have NO animal products in them. Many bar soap ares made with "tallow"...aka animal fat...mainly from sheep and cattle. Also, cannot use highly perfumed soaps or laundry detergents. Assault on the olfactories! Must be lightly and naturally fragranced...such as tamarind, citrus, turmeric, etc.  :thumbsup:

I like animal products  :thumbsup:

Its an effort to use every part of the animal so none goes to waste. 

Besides, can we be sure that plants like tamarind, citris and tumeric do not feel pain when they are harvested for fragrance products? 

Liquid soap is not actually soap, that's a misnomer. Soap is made by boiling up caustic soda or caustic potash with tallow or fatty acids, resulting in a sodium or potassium salt of the fatty acids. It is then processed into bar soap. Strongly coloured soaps are made with the cheapest ingredients, pure white soap from the more expensive. Pears transparent soap is made from potassium hydroxide and oleic acid, which is why it's the most expensive.

Liquid "soap" is most usually compounded from nonionic surfactants. They are not as effective as true soap. Soap lowers the the surface tension of water to 25 dynes/cm, whereas nonionics only lower the surface tension to 35 dynes/cm. They are also more difficult to break down in waste treatment processes, or when discharged to the environment. Phenol-based nonionics have been implicated in the feminisation of some species, as they mimic oestrogen. You guys scrubbing your balls with liquid soap may want to think about that.

Here endeth the lesson.

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Vegetable oils would be the only realistic alternative to tallows, and they are too valuable to be used for soapmaking.

I suppose there are some liquid soaps that actually contain soap, as distinct from nonionic surfactant. Think about it. It's liquid. Therefore, the manufacturer is making a nice profit selling you water.

I'm wondering if Muslims realise the vast majority of bar soaps and laundry soap powder are made with varying proportions of pig fat.