PM Prayut says there must be political reforms before an election

webfact

35 minutes ago, whatproblem said:

Especially now the police are on their way to a 20 year reform

I think that's the scary thing about this - if political reforms must be undertaken before there is an election, and the police reforms are set to take 20 years, then how long will political reforms take?

Is he subtly saying that it's possible he'll be around for 20 years?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Prime Minister with all due respect The reason the new generation do not want to run for political office is not because they are afraid of ridicule or the loss of  their privacy.

The reason is they do not want to feel that they can be put up on bogus charges or thrown out of office because of trumped up charges. Or end up in Jail for a reasons that are purely political. 

This is the real reason There is no stability in politics here in Thailand so why would any talented private citizen want  to run for political office rather then work for the private sector and have a reliable career

This is the real reason

Edited by realenglish1

2 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Just wondering if PTP are regretting their decision to grant amnesty to themselves and their absent leader yet. All this could have been avoided. Laughable.

5555555555555!

Nice, using irony to poke fun at those who are so breathtakingly naive that they actually believe the coup could have been avoided, when it's patently obvious the coup was planned long before the amnesty attempt.

" He stressed the need of an effective screening mechanism to prevent “bad people” from entering politics or to weed out “bad people” from politics and, in the meantime, to encourage “good people” or a new-generation of politicians to enter politics."

How about an effective screening mechanism for weeding out "bad people" from the military and encourage "good people" to enter?  It's called leading by example.  Of course that would leave the Thai military (and junta) without leaders, but I think it's a risk worth taking.

2 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Just wondering if PTP are regretting their decision to grant amnesty to themselves and their absent leader yet. All this could have been avoided. Laughable.

I assume you also blame rape victims for the crime committed against them because they dressed provocatively.

1 hour ago, baboon said:

Ah yes. The logic of the wifebeater and so very apt: 'You know what I am like when I have had a few, so why do you wind me up make me give you a slap?'

No Mr baboon, everyone knows and accepts that that was the trigger point of the street-protest that led to oust the previous government because they wanted their leader back and absolve 26.000 corruption cases. Most people were ok with the proposed amnesty before it included leaders especially Thaksin and was just for the normal people. Unfortunately in a really undemocratic way his name was added and voted on after they had send the opposition away telling them the vote would be the next day.

They are to blame to get the ball rolling, its on their head. 

1 hour ago, JAG said:

This would have happened even if PTP had proved to the best most enlightened,  economically proficient and least corrupt government in SE Asia ( admittedly  unlikely)..

This happened because for the last 20 yeqrs or so the old guard have seen/sensed power slipping away from them. Overthrowing Thaksin,  and gerrymandering  Abhisit into Government House didn't work, so it had to to be stopped. A permanent Junta seems the only solution. 

They're dinosaurs.

A sudden cataclysmic event struck the dinosaurs and rendered them extinct.

No it would not have happened.. they brought it on themselves. There would have no massive protest that would have helped the junta in power. People who think it would have happened anyway are those that try to absolve the PTP from their wrongdoing. There are quite a few news articles stating that PTP regretted doing this and accepting that this was what brought the government down.

Now you could imagine something else because its hard to accept this but no way would there be support for a coup any other way. Sleep tight knowing your side brought it up because they wanted the convicted criminal back. 

4 hours ago, Reigntax said:

And some military reform would also be helpful but as we know you cant teach old dogs new tricks.

Not necessarily true - I taught Mrs. Baboon how to play Blackjack...;)

I don't understand why don't the "good people" and the young want to join the politician's?    In the mean time  you have arrested, charged, and gaoled young talented and good people and political science students and their mother's because they called for independent investigations into corruption connected to the military and the infamous statues.

Now you want to select the people that can enter politics.  You really do like to stack the deck huh.

You say they are afraid their privacy and their asset's will be scrutinized,  What a load, but hey that's what you most certainly are afraid of.

Then you come up with this little nugget,  I don't understand why politician's have to pay a lot of money to gain favor.  BS,   you know exactly why as paying for positions paying for relocating paying for advances in rank are common practice in Thailand and most certainly done in the military,  So claiming you don't understand why, would make you out to be nothing but a ????
So junta fan club spin this one for us, we'd like to see that...

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

No Mr baboon, everyone knows and accepts that that was the trigger point of the street-protest that led to oust the previous government because they wanted their leader back and absolve 26.000 corruption cases. Most people were ok with the proposed amnesty before it included leaders especially Thaksin and was just for the normal people. Unfortunately in a really undemocratic way his name was added and voted on after they had send the opposition away telling them the vote would be the next day.

They are to blame to get the ball rolling, its on their head. 

No, what the entire planet is aware of is that the coup was going to take place no matter what. The amnesty was a pretext - if it hadn't been that it would have been something else.

On the subject of amnesties... Ach, no point. The junta supporters always ignore that one.

2 minutes ago, baboon said:

No, what the entire planet is aware of is that the coup was going to take place no matter what. The amnesty was a pretext - if it hadn't been that it would have been something else.

On the subject of amnesties... Ach, no point. The junta supporters always ignore that one.

Please show me a news-article about what the whole planet knows. I can find them where the PTP admitted that the amnesty was the reason they were brought down. Can you do the same ?

BANGKOK: -- One year after the controversial blanket amnesty bill was pushed through just before dawn by the then-ruling Pheu Thai Party, red-shirt co-leader and former Pheu Thai MP Weng Tojirakan still says it was a grave mistake that led to the downfall of Yingluck Shinawatra's government. 

Edited by robblok

5 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

The protest leader, and the most corrupt politician ever (as confessed by his colleagues in the Democrat Party) Suthep Thaugsuban said he was colluding with Prayuth for years prior to the coup. 

They knew PTP would try for amnesty so used that pretense to launch more street protests. They have to prevent Thaksin coming back due to his enduring popularity and what he stands for politically. 

Nonsense. Anyone that isn't obsessed by Thaksin can see the bigger picture. They have been trying to destabilize the Thai political system since 2005 for their own ends. 

You know better than Weng.. former PTP MP and redshirt leader.. in my link he admits it was the grave mistake.

So they made the mistake.. had they not done the amnesty for that convicted criminal they would still be in power. But their disrespect for rule of law led to this.  Always funny when foreigners think they know better then the leader of the redshirts (the side they defend).  

This guy is full of it. A real crap talker. He failed as PM and the reforms he never started. I think this regime is the worst ever. Lost many foreign long slayers.  Lied about reforms. Police are a joke part of the regimes money pit. A deal has been struck. All crooks. They will now make it near impossible to appoint a real PM. Lucky he created a get out of jail section. No I do not like your regime lol.

22 minutes ago, robblok said:

Please show me a news-article about what the whole planet knows. I can find them where the PTP admitted that the amnesty was the reason they were brought down. Can you do the same ?

I think we must be talking past one another. I am not denying the reason given for the coup was the amnesty. I am saying another reason would have been found if not that one - the army / elites were never going to take yes for an answer from the previous government. 

I do not know really who this Weng chap is, nor do I particularly have anything to say about the internal politics of the PTP / reds. I know very little about them as I do not sit and obsess over them every moment of my life. Maybe the amnesty bill was a mistake from their perspective and maybe it wasn't. I'm not really interested. 

This takes the biscuit.  Was talking to the well heeled in Hong Kong last week.  All had gotten all their assets out of Thailand; sold their holiday homes, dumped their stocks.  All they could do was laugh at the current government, and that was before this statement came out.  They referred to Thailand as a giant loony bin. 

25 minutes ago, baboon said:

I think we must be talking past one another. I am not denying the reason given for the coup was the amnesty. I am saying another reason would have been found if not that one - the army / elites were never going to take yes for an answer from the previous government. 

I do not know really who this Weng chap is, nor do I particularly have anything to say about the internal politics of the PTP / reds. I know very little about them as I do not sit and obsess over them every moment of my life. Maybe the amnesty bill was a mistake from their perspective and maybe it wasn't. I'm not really interested. 

I like your complot theories, but you have nothing to back them up. But you do agree that the government fell because of the amnesty (their own mistake)

I don't agree that it would have happened without the amnesty and you got nothing to back it up. So we can only conclude that they brought it down on their own head because they wanted to pardon Thaksin. 

I won't deny that the Elite would have tried something, i just deny that it would happen without a catalyst like this else they would never have the support of the people to topple the government. A catalyst like that would always have to come from a mistake of the PTP and it would have to be a big one like this. I find it highly unlikely that something else like that would have found. Its only Thaksin that really brings out extreme emotions (on both sides) nothing much else. They played right into the cards of their enemy because they wanted that criminal back. He put his own interest before all other things.. and it led to the coup. 

4 hours ago, JAG said:

"Good people, bad people,  screening" ;who is to define that?

What he means is no election until they have completed the process of stripping the franchise from those who do not vote for "their side:.

For small fee and a Work Permit I will be glad do that for the good of the World

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't agree that it would have happened without the amnesty and you got nothing to back it up.

Not to speak for Babon, but was amensty the reason for all the prior coups?

If not then Baboon's point is well supported.