Smoking on Baht Buses.

sharecropper

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You can certainly tell who the smokers are.... Its as if they truly believe that suggesting something else somehow dilutes the fact that smoking in public where it effects those who've chosen not to smoke is truly Antisocial. 

Of course, there are other issues which require attention and many more serious, however, these activities are usually a necessity, crossing the road is a necessity and a choice, breathing in something else's second hand smoke on a baht bus or anywhere else is not a choice, it can be easily avoided if those who smoke were to have any consideration for others. 

As this thread has shown, there are many who smoke who do have consideration for others, it is the few who give smokers a poor social image such as... 

Unfortunately, many others do see the big deal....  

Im a none smoker. :thumbsup:

Smoking on a baht bus,   get real.

its not a big deal. nonsense  busy bodies :bah:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, onemorechang said:

Fair enough - IMO its not complete show stopper, however, I think we'll end up agreeing to disagree.... 

.....when someone does smoke on a baht bus or in other public areas where non smokers are effected its a big deal for many.

Smoke blowing in peoples faces, ash getting in peoples eyes and at times embers landing on peoples clothes.... should those busy bodies just put up and shut up.. or should the smokers stop smoking where it effects others ?

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Fair enough - IMO its not complete show stopper, however, I think we'll end up agreeing to disagree.... 

.....when someone does smoke on a baht bus or in other public areas where non smokers are effected its a big deal for many.

Smoke blowing in peoples faces, ash getting in peoples eyes and at times embers landing on peoples clothes.... should those busy bodies just put up and shut up.. or should the smokers stop smoking where it effects others ?

Sorry its a disappointment.

But as they say in thailand.

Up to you.

Im happy for smokers to smoke out doors .   its no big deal :wai2:

1 minute ago, onemorechang said:

I'm also a non smoker. If it bothered me like it does some shrinking violets I would not venture out of the nanny state UK that I have now come to really despise.

I have a pal who packed up two years ago ago and strarts moaning every time we go in a GGB when someone lights up near us. I had to tell him to give it a rest and now avoid going in GGBs with him, he's OK in the BBs.

You breath in more fumes walking along Soi Bhukaow than you ever will spending a whole eveing sitting next to a smoker. They just know it's pointless whinging about traffic and it's not Whinging Poms who are the culprits, Yanks and Germans are the worst.

It was made illegal a few years ago, press conference and all. And there used to be no smoking stickers in the riding area (circle with line across, lit cig behind). Maybe call city hall, lodge enough complaints, ask them to distribute more stickers.

On 1/9/2559 at 10:25 AM, sharecropper said:

OK, so in conclusion, it IS almost certainly illegal to smoke on a baht bus, as it's public transport, although - as usual here - how far you want to take it depends on mood, wisdom and fury-swallowing, as you can get off and get on another one with only a 10 baht loss. 

I wish I was so logical when it happens though.

How many times have you read about some kid robbing a 7/11 type store in the USA. Killing someone and only

getting less then 50 bucks. 10 baht or 10,000 baht. It's never worth your live.

Count to 10 and get off; get the next bus.

Simple....tell them to extinguish whatever they are smoking.

If they don't, carry water and throw it on whatever is burning.

Back in the day, rude, ignorant people got punched in the face.  

People learned to be more polite real fast back then.

If you can't back up your actions, best to get off the bus!

On 8/31/2016 at 10:24 AM, johng said:

She isn't a lawyer so I don't think she'll know if it legal or not   :lol:

Though I thought they had banned smoking ( and drinking alcohol ) on all public transport.

Since when did the law count for anything in Thailand? Yes it is illegal. No, no-one will do anything if someone is seen smoking. Even some bars openly allow it, for a fee paid to the right person of course.

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I hate smoke but what a stupid complaint people smoke any where and everywhere here.  Just try walking next time if it bother s you.

Thai logic here.  Illegal on baht bus, so get off & walk amongst all the legal walking smokers.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 9:17 AM, mcfish said:

Arabs atm and since they tend to hang out in groups of 3 or more the smoking does get annoying but what does it matter when your sucking up lungfuls of diesel exhaust from the Chinese tours buses surrounding you?

Don't blame the Chinese.

These tour buses are operated by locals who instead of buying Euro-4 diesel fuel, they buy the cheap marine diesel fuel which is readily available in Pattaya area.

Only happened once a long time ago going down town from Naklua,  quite a simple response rang the bell just at dolphin round about. Walked up to passenger window as normal and told the driver in Thai there was a smelly fat farang smoking in the back,and walked off. Walked over the road and flagged the next bus down.

Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are correct.  Get over yourself.

A big deal?????? A big deal is catching the group responsible for the recent bombings. 

A big deal is Having free elections.

A big deal is free speech and freedom of the press.

A big deal is judicial and government accountability.

Smoke drifitng into your face in an open bhat bus doesn't even register as insignificant in Thailand at the moment.

Edited by forrwhat

25 minutes ago, forrwhat said:

Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are correct.  Get over yourself.

A big deal?????? A big deal is catching the group responsible for the recent bombings. 

A big deal is Having free elections.

A big deal is free speech and freedom of the press.

A big deal is judicial and government accountability.

Smoke drifitng into your face in an open bhat bus doesn't even register as insignificant in Thailand at the moment.

A big deal is dieing from passive smoking!

6 minutes ago, forrwhat said:

You are not going to die from one Bhat bus ride with a smoker, or even one hundred.  

I don't think you realise the damaged caused by selfish ignorant (I assume you fall into this catagory) smokers, would it be such a big deal to wait till they get off the bus and then only poison themselves?

I'm not a smoker actually, never have been.  

I did however grow up in a generation when everyone from teenagers up smoked.  Indoors and outdoors, and in confined cars and homes.  I know the cancer statistics of non smokers of children of the 60's are similar to the statistics of 80's children, for whom the anti smoking campaigns had resulted in many work place bans and a marked usage drop in smoking by population percentage.

On 31/08/2016 at 4:17 AM, mcfish said:

Arabs atm and since they tend to hang out in groups of 3 or more the smoking does get annoying but what does it matter when your sucking up lungfuls of diesel exhaust from the Chinese tours buses surrounding you?

OK, never mind the smoke but It really matters when the wind blows the burning tobacco onto your clothing or skin or ask into your eye!

smoking in any place where the public are admitted whether covered or not is illegal and punishable by a fine of 2000 thai baht for the smoker and 20.000 thai baht to the owner/

manager/driver Thailand has very strict anti-smoking laws. but like a lot of things in Thailand

it is not very high on the police's agenda 

27 minutes ago, zoza said:

smoking in any place where the public are admitted whether covered or not is illegal and punishable by a fine of 2000 thai baht for the smoker and 20.000 thai baht to the owner/

manager/driver Thailand has very strict anti-smoking laws. but like a lot of things in Thailand

it is not very high on the police's agenda 

What about a public park. ?

What about the beach ?

Edited by onemorechang

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 7:10 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I'm a smoker but never do so on a baht bus. Most Thai people, especially women, do not like to inhale someone's cigarette smoke. Can't blame them and smokers should never inflict it on non-smokers, especially on public transit or in stores and eating places. 

'Wish all smokers had your same sense of courtesy and self-discipline.   Thanks!

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

Why do you subject yourselves to smoking and other people by taking a baht bus? To save a few baht? Take a taxi, or get your own vehicle. 

Oh, so because YOU smoke, I should have to pay for & otherwise deal with taxis or get my own vehicle and not be able to use baht busses.  What total rubbish.  Irresponsibles like you are why anti-smoking regulations and taxes are on such a long-term rise, and are so popular.  I've got a much better and more obvious solution:  why don't YOU get YOUR own vehicle, and smoke in it all you want?!