Is the new Ford Ranger a bad truck?

dagling

Can any of you driving a new / newer Ford Ranger honestly tell me if the Ranger is so terrible that some on this forum says.
Seems like the truck is more at the garage then on the road...

Tell me how long you have own the truck and km, what you like about it and what have been the problems with it.

I like the design, and from what I understand it is also the safest truck on the market. In the case of purchase, I'll go for 2.2 4x2 Wild Track.

I want HONEST answers from Ranger owners, not Ford haters who have never owned such a car.

I'm very confused. Reads much good about the car, but also a lot of negatives here on the forum.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On my second Ranger since 2011. First one, a 2.2 Hi-rider was traded in around 50,000 km. I had to replace the stock battery before it was a year old (a common fault back then) but no other problems apart from some light bulbs in the speedo/fuel gauge display went out.

The current one, a 3.2 WT has around 42,000 km on it and apart from a leaking front drive shaft boot seal (new shaft and seal, warranty job) about 6 months ago, it hasn't missed a beat. Mixed driving with frequent long hauls up country and mostly town driving in between.

Ford have just announced the new Ranger FX4 which style-wise looks mostly same same as the mid-year makeover last year but probably has some enhancements under the bonnet, improved economy  or upgraded in-car gadgetry.

Edited by NanLaew

I have the 2.2 Wildtrak with a proper gearbox. It's almost a year since we bought it. It is head and shoulders above every other truck I have driven. It drives beautifully and I am happy that it has a full complement of safety features unlike any of its competitors. The Ford servicing is very affordable and in 5 years of Ford ownership have only had a couple of minor issues with the service centre.

1 hour ago, phutoie2 said:

DELETED

Wow ...so bitter and this early in the morning...I hope your day improves ...the man asked for opinions ...whether one has owned a product for 6 months or 6 years one still has an opinion..yes or no ... JTB in this day and age a proper gearbox is an auto ...☺

If it's of any use I had a good test drive in a 3.2WT and was impressed would have bought but Mrs Jas preferred the EV. I much preferred the WT to the V-Cross that we had.

Edited by seedy
FLAMING

1 hour ago, phutoie2 said:

DELETED

Since you made no constructive response to my almost 100,000 km of almost problem-free Ranger ownership over almost 5 years, I take it you have nothing relevant to offer the OP.

Edited by seedy
FLAMING

The Ranger Wildtrak is a pretty good vehicle.. A lot of people really love it even though the deals for it is pretty bad.. There's no freebies that the dealer would give to you because the Wildtrak sells pretty much on its own.. 

I've never had a Wildtrak but took a test drive for the current model before. It was a pleasure to drive.. Much better than the Triton Plus which was intimidating to drive.. 

As with any car, best to take a test drive on your own to judge the car.. 

40 minutes ago, patyh said:

The Ranger Wildtrak is a pretty good vehicle.. A lot of people really love it even though the deals for it is pretty bad.. There's no freebies that the dealer would give to you because the Wildtrak sells pretty much on its own.. 

I've never had a Wildtrak but took a test drive for the current model before. It was a pleasure to drive.. Much better than the Triton Plus which was intimidating to drive.. 

As with any car, best to take a test drive on your own to judge the car.. 

Triton Plus intimidating? I own one and love it.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Since you made no constructive response to my almost 100,000 km of almost problem-free Ranger ownership over almost 5 years, I take it you have nothing relevant to offer the OP.

That's impressive! Of course, if it were a Toyota it would still be almost a virgin at 100k.:gigglem:

I looked at one today in Market Village, Hua Hin.  I love the look of it, lovely inside, everything great........spent a good ten minutes looking round it.....picked up the brochure...picked up the price list.........and before I left, I told the sales rep there what a fantastic job she was doing................she had not stopped talking and laughing on her phone the whole time i had been there.......and even though I had been opening and closing doors, tailgate, etc......she had no idea i was there until I left (when I spoke to her).......so as it says in an earlier thread.......these vehicles sell themselves.......because the moronic idiot working at this particular stand obviously has not done the sales course........if one exists of course........which I doubt..

Got 2 Wildtraks now one for me and one for her. 

Both engines in 4x4 config with the Auto in both. 

Do most of my driving in Bangkok getting out of the city every weekend. 

Liking the 2.2 for driving in BKK as you are just sitting in traffic.. only issue I had with the 3.2 is the oil change problem.. The 2.2 is marginally better then the 3.2 for diesel and really the power there is not much between the 2 unless you are not towing something.. which I am not.. you cannot tell really which one you are in. 

3.2 does have a few more extras as standard... both are strong and way better then the competition. 

Edited by wow64

8 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Rather strange the poster here who had big problem with Ford never joins in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest, there's only been two chaps with major Ranger engine issues that raised their heads above the parapet but both have been rather quiet of late so we don't know how it all panned out. There's no denying that they both appeared to receive crap service but both owners didn't seem too specific on what happened at the time.

So in perspective, that's a couple of serious complaints versus how many happy Ranger owners?

26 minutes ago, wow64 said:

Got 2 Wildtraks now one for me and one for her. 

Both engines in 4x4 config with the Auto in both. 

Do most of my driving in Bangkok getting out of the city every weekend. 

Liking the 2.2 for driving in BKK as you are just sitting in traffic.. only issue I had with the 3.2 is the oil change problem.. The 2.2 is marginally better then the 3.2 for diesel and really the power there is not much between the 2 unless you are not towing something.. which I am not.. you cannot tell really which one you are in. 

3.2 does have a few more extras as standard... both are strong and way better then the competition. 

What's that about "the 3.2 oil change problem"?

Agree that the 2.2 has more than enough pull for highway driving (and the 4 cylinder 2.2 engine is quieter than the 5-pot 3.2) and the 3.2 only really comes into its own when hauling and towing.

I was a "Ford man" back in the USA. Mustang, Windstar, Aerostar, Thunderbird, two Focuses, two Rangers. Clearly, I was extremely happy with Fords. But all that was several years ago now.

There have been some articles recently describing how Ford Focus and Fiesta owners descended on Government house (or Parliament house? One or another "house") along with their cars demanding that Ford take them back. Seems Ford had previously offered to do so at 60% of the original price. Ford now offers to take them back at 80% of the original price. Caveat: IF it can be determined that the transmission in the vehicles is actually defective. Which I take to mean that the owners of the cars will never receive satisfaction. This is "a side of Ford" that I've never before seen. Since the 1980s, I had always believed that Ford was head and shoulders above General Motors, their primary US competitor. Perhaps I am wrong about that.That isn't the "bad Ford news" you're talking about, is it? I think probably not, but you never know.

I had wanted to buy a Ranger back in 2010. Looked at several, but first time to buy a four wheeled vehicle in Thailand and I wasn't happy with the lack of haggling and discounting ("No we can't lower the price, but we'll throw in floor mats!") nor the inability to custom order exactly what I wanted ("you'll take what's on the rack and pay retail, and be happy with it"). These details caused me to look around at other trucks. At some point, I looked at Nissan. A bit surprised to learn that they had actually begun to make trucks. Their previous "trucks" had been "truck-like vehicles" on automobile frames, and similar. But the truck they had at the time in Thailand was a real truck, on a heavy duty truck frame, with six lug wheels, six speed transmission, diesel and all that, bat-wing four door "king cab" with long bed. I was hooked. (I'm told it's actually a 3/4 ton truck, sold as a 1/2 ton for tax reasons? Dunno, but it's pretty beefy) The Nissan is the best truck I've ever owned, hands down, and that includes Fords, Dodges, Toyotas and Mitsubishis back in the states.

I don't usually go digging for news about Fords (except wondering if the current Mustang will ever be sold here in Thailand for a reasonable price). I was frankly surprised to read the news story concerning Focuses and Fiestas. I am completely unaccustomed to hearing anything bad about Fords, I guess. Well, except from the proverbial Chevy owners back in the US. I would tend to believe that Ford trucks are still damned good vehicles, and would represent an entirely reasonable and satisfying purchase.

On the other hand, I sure do love my Nissan. You might want to just look around a bit and kick some tires, just to see what the competition is offering and how their stuff compares to the Rangers.

I just sold my Focus and bought a Ranger XLT (auto, 2x4) double cab and I love the truck. pleasure to drive, lots and lots of space in the cabin even for my long legs. Even more space than my old CR-V (the old model) that I sold 4 years ago.

Ford service is excellent, the best I have ever experienced. Far better than for example Honda. That the Focus had serious problems with the gear box design did not diminish my experience regarding their service. They refurbished the gearbox completely free and gave additional 5 years warranty on the box, to be extended another 5 years every time the box needs repair (its the dry clutches that fails). Also heater coil leaked in the cabin and they replaced it free even it was just outside warranty time. Both occasions I got to borrow a Ranger for a week while repairs was made. That was when I fell in love with the Ranger:).

New ranger comes with free 5 times service (labor free) and a 5 year warranty. The cabin is about 200mm longer than competitors and wider. Only one that compares in cabin size is the Chevy Colorado.

The Ranger have a similar design of gear box as the Focus (and all other competitor trucks) but the clutches are heavy duty wet clutches instead of the dry ones on Focus and Fiesta.

Ohh! almost forgot to mention, with a standard automatic gear you stop at a red light and keep the brakes engaged and leave the gear in "D", but with the 6 speed semiautomatic gears with clutches, the manual clearly states that damage may occur to the gear box if left in gear while stopped for longer time, they say should put gear in neutral for longer stops at red lights. I don't think this was mentioned in the manual for the Focus, but not sure.

Edited by AlQaholic

4 hours ago, Saan said:

The Ford Ranger was voted best in its group by motoring writers in Australia earlier this year.

Motoring writers give the best rating to the manufacturer who wines and dines them best. It's naive to think otherwise. I haven't seen a Toyota Landcruiser utility in Thailand; however, it's the almost universal choice of farmers in Australia. Incredibly durable.

I have no idea how a Ford Ranger compares to other behemoths. I have noted, however, that SUV and utility drivers here seem to be more aggressive on the road. Compensating for a small appendage, perhaps?

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

To be honest, there's only been two chaps with major Ranger engine issues that raised their heads above the parapet but both have been rather quiet of late so we don't know how it all panned out. There's no denying that they both appeared to receive crap service but both owners didn't seem too specific on what happened at the time.

So in perspective, that's a couple of serious complaints versus how many happy Ranger owners?

What's that about "the 3.2 oil change problem"?

Agree that the 2.2 has more than enough pull for highway driving (and the 4 cylinder 2.2 engine is quieter than the 5-pot 3.2) and the 3.2 only really comes into its own when hauling and towing.

Dealer left the oil drain out of the motor too long.. When I got the car back the oil light was on.. Had to leave it there for a day while they fixed it..

Turns out you cannot let the 3.2s sit for over 10 min when draining the oil... Or the will not prime. Something to tell the machanic if you dont go to a ford service center.

Motoring writers give the best rating to the manufacturer who wines and dines them best. It's naive to think otherwise. I haven't seen a Toyota Landcruiser utility in Thailand; however, it's the almost universal choice of farmers in Australia. Incredibly durable.

I have no idea how a Ford Ranger compares to other behemoths. I have noted, however, that SUV and utility drivers here seem to be more aggressive on the road. Compensating for a small appendage, perhaps?

Ford must have spent a fortune on the Aussie journos as they generally rate the Everest higher than the Landcruiser too.

9 hours ago, wow64 said:

Dealer left the oil drain out of the motor too long.. When I got the car back the oil light was on.. Had to leave it there for a day while they fixed it..

Turns out you cannot let the 3.2s sit for over 10 min when draining the oil... Or the will not prime. Something to tell the machanic if you dont go to a ford service center.

This is somewhat confusing ...everybody and his dog knows of the oil drain time limit on the 3.2 5 pot.  They handed the car back to you with the oil light illuminated....

As your Ford should still be under warranty ... 3.2L hasn't bern out 3 years has it ...that was done at a Ford dealership.....

5 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

This is somewhat confusing ...everybody and his dog knows of the oil drain time limit on the 3.2 5 pot.  They handed the car back to you with the oil light illuminated....

As your Ford should still be under warranty ... 3.2L hasn't bern out 3 years has it ...that was done at a Ford dealership.....

First release 3.2 Ranger would be near on 5 years old wouldn't it ?

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

First release 3.2 Ranger would be near on 5 years old wouldn't it ?

Wow ... time flys Don ...now that I think about it I seem to remember that the 3.2 was pretty rare initially. I went to one motor show here and it wasn't even on display.

I don't recall seeing any about here in Thailand three years ago ... must be old age affecting the memory cells

Just now, JAS21 said:

Wow ... time flys Don ...now that I think about it I seem to remember that the 3.2 was pretty rare initially. I went to one motor show here and it wasn't even on display.

I don't recall seeing any about here in Thailand three years ago ... must be old age affecting the memory cells

Yeah first release I think Thailand got  half a dozen 3.2's in allocation took another 18 months before more were available. :cheesy:

33 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

I don't have a dog....can you please elaborate on the oil thing? I don't have a clue what you are talking about?

9 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Ford must have spent a fortune on the Aussie journos as they generally rate the Everest higher than the Landcruiser too.

Be that as it may, one doesn't see too many Fords in the outback areas. Landcruisers rule. Even Nissan Patrols are thin on the ground.

I had a farmer friend who was absolutely brutal with his farm vehicles. The dealers were in tears when he traded them in, because they were basically wrecks. Did things like towing 4 tonne saw benches, or jump-starting Steiger ploughs. Also raced them in cross-country rallies. When I say cross-country, I mean bush tracks only.

Most of the brands he tried only survived 18 months to 2 years. Despite his best efforts, the Landcruiser lasted for 7 years.

I just sold my Focus and bought a Ranger XLT (auto, 2x4) double cab and I love the truck. pleasure to drive, lots and lots of space in the cabin even for my long legs. Even more space than my old CR-V (the old model) that I sold 4 years ago.

Ford service is excellent, the best I have ever experienced. Far better than for example Honda. That the Focus had serious problems with the gear box design did not diminish my experience regarding their service. They refurbished the gearbox completely free and gave additional 5 years warranty on the box, to be extended another 5 years every time the box needs repair (its the dry clutches that fails). Also heater coil leaked in the cabin and they replaced it free even it was just outside warranty time. Both occasions I got to borrow a Ranger for a week while repairs was made. That was when I fell in love with the Ranger:).

New ranger comes with free 5 times service (labor free) and a 5 year warranty. The cabin is about 200mm longer than competitors and wider. Only one that compares in cabin size is the Chevy Colorado.

The Ranger have a similar design of gear box as the Focus (and all other competitor trucks) but the clutches are heavy duty wet clutches instead of the dry ones on Focus and Fiesta.

Ohh! almost forgot to mention, with a standard automatic gear you stop at a red light and keep the brakes engaged and leave the gear in "D", but with the 6 speed semiautomatic gears with clutches, the manual clearly states that damage may occur to the gear box if left in gear while stopped for longer time, they say should put gear in neutral for longer stops at red lights. I don't think this was mentioned in the manual for the Focus, but not sure.

You didn't spend much time at Honda .its easy to like a place one visits regularly to fix a prob.Honda have a brake button now for traffic stops,but I still sit with foot on brake ,old way.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, transam said:

Oil change must not take longer than 10 minutes or the pump will not 'prime'...Something like that.

If that happens you will trash the crank bearings....:(

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah first release I think Thailand got  half a dozen 3.2's in allocation took another 18 months before more were available. :cheesy:

Yes Don ...that was why I queried Mr Wow ... as thought his truck should be under warranty and surly Ford would not make that mistake nor would anyone with a vehicle under warranty take it anywhere else but to the dealer.