The Simplicity of Weight Loss

VincentRJ

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was 46 I moved to China.Arriving in China my weight was 80kg.......due to my work schedule and position,constant entertaining....over the next 13 years I reached 148 kg.....Three years ago I retired , came to Thailand and decided to get back in shape. Changed food intake,very little alcohol ( only social), no breads  , no sweets- eat when hungry -moderate amount (although the occasional indulgence is ok)...I would lift weights three days a week,run (which started as a walk) usually four days a week....current weight is at 92kg........goal is to reach 180 and hold....I am 64 now

Changing how much and what you eat is key.

Be it no carbs (and therefor eating less all together), be it cutting out processed foods.. and again eating less and better.. Just eating less of what your doing right now will help. Personally I eat healthy no processed foods and do a lot of weight-lifting and (now) a lot of cardio too. 

In the end everyone can lose some weight it might be slow at times because of the body its mechanisms but it will happen. Holding it off is an other problem.. you can't just go back to your old habits that made you fat in the first place. Lost 25 kg kept it off did gain weight but that was muscle from all the heavy lifting. (big difference how you look when the weight is fat compared to muscle)

I'm a big guy and weight loss is a problem.  I swim everyday, and everyday I see a little old Thai guy by the pool.  He is probably all of 5 ft 2 inches tall and weighs 50 kilos.  The other day we were talking and he tells me he has a great diet plan for me.  We were not talking about weight loss, but I guess he just had the need.

His plan. Just close mouth.  He then goes off laughing to himself.  Good advice!

On 9/1/2016 at 1:55 PM, Jingthing said:

The OP's suggestion that people go on a 30 day fast for weight loss is idiotic, dangerous, and for most people, if they succeed with it, will radically reset their metabolic set point and BACKFIRE radically.

If weight control was so simple, it wouldn't be an international epidemic.

Weight control is exceptionally simple in most cases.  

The problem is we've created too many tasty, but ultimately unnecessary, foods.   

If you never again ate ice cream, cookies, cakes, sweets, sugar, bread, processed food etc you wouldn't die.    

If you never drank another sugar laden fizzy drink or juice, but limited your liquid intake to only water, you wouldn't die.

What would happen is you'd lose weight.

No one *has* to eat or drink food loaded with sugar, but most people don't have the self control needed to not eat them.  

Here why the low carb in low carb isnt what is promoting the weight loss but the high protein is. Nice reading also with studies to back it up. Especially for people who are active in the gym a high protein and normal carb diet is far better. 

So you see.. anything can be debated.. there is no definite one way is good. 

http://www.muscleforlife.com/low-carb-diet/

The problem is the low-carb diets in these studies invariably contained more protein than the low-fat diets.  Yes, one for one…without fail.

What we’re actually looking at in these studies is a high-protein, low-carb diet vs. low-protein, higher-carb diet, and the former wins every time. But we can’t ignore the high-protein part and say it’s more effective because of the low-carb element.

In fact, better designed and executed studies prove the opposite: that when protein intake is high, low-carb dieting offers no especial weight loss benefits. But we’ll get to that in a minute.

The cards are stacked against us.  Big Pharma and the medical industry would loose trillions if obesity were solved and everyone was fit.  The food industry through massive marketing and genetic engineering creates products that keep you unhealthy on the inside and your doctor loves you that way because he gets a new Porche every year because you are addicted to french fries because they are scientifically designed to create addictive behavior and the food and medical industries stay rich.

Google "The Bliss Point" 

In the formulation of food products, the bliss point is the amount of an ingredient such as salt, sugar, or fat which optimizes palatability

Read and weep

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html

Haven't read all the post but wanted to contribute my story: I watched "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" on Netflix and decided to go on a juice only diet (not fruit juice... home-made vegetable juice). 

It is DEAD EASY... after 2 days or so your body goes into ketosis and you won't feel hungry at all. I lost some 15 kilos in under a month and have only put back on 2 kilos after 1 year.

I encourage everyone to watch the movie. It's the easiest way to lose weight and I am really not a friend of excising so this was very convenient to me. As a side effect you'll also detox your body.

That's a great show. I believe that there has been a recent follow up.

I have a juicer at home and I find it fantastic to have one some mornings after I've been out on my bike ride. Green leaves, celery, ginger, pineapple, carrots - just chuck it all in.

I don't have weight issues but I do stick to certain things. I don't drink any fizzy soft drinks or fruit juices in containers and drink very little alcohol (because I don't enjoy it really). I drink plenty of water. I never take sugar in tea/coffee type drinks. Once every couple of weeks I may have some junk/fast food. I exercise regularly.

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

Here why the low carb in low carb isnt what is promoting the weight loss but the high protein is. Nice reading also with studies to back it up. Especially for people who are active in the gym a high protein and normal carb diet is far better. 

So you see.. anything can be debated.. there is no definite one way is good. 

http://www.muscleforlife.com/low-carb-diet/

My personal experience is in line with these studies. 

I have a high protein intake and medium carb diet. 

3 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

My personal experience is in line with these studies. 

I have a high protein intake and medium carb diet. 

Same here I have high protein and medium carb.. I would not be able to exercise the way I do without carbs. Our body is made to process carbs only when your sedentary and eat far too many processed carbs will you get in trouble.

I eat carbs like big leaf oatmeal (not cut) and whole wheat (made by myself bread). Though actually not as much bread just once in a while my carbs mainly come from oatmeal and beans (beans have protein too) and macaroni. 

I try to cycle the amount of carbs / calories I use seems to work well (is a first try this period). Yesterday I ate extra amount of carbs and calories and today i lost weight. Its good to eat more once in a while for leptin levels that is why I eat more on a cyclic base (once a week). Also the extra carbs help to replenish my glycogen stores. I try to get my carbs mainly around my workouts, not before bed or anything like that. 

15 minutes ago, csabo said:

The cards are stacked against us.  Big Pharma and the medical industry would loose trillions if obesity were solved and everyone was fit.  The food industry through massive marketing and genetic engineering creates products that keep you unhealthy on the inside and your doctor loves you that way because he gets a new Porche every year because you are addicted to french fries because they are scientifically designed to create addictive behavior and the food and medical industries stay rich.

Google "The Bliss Point" 

In the formulation of food products, the bliss point is the amount of an ingredient such as salt, sugar, or fat which optimizes palatability

Read and weep

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html

No one makes anyone eat french fries or any other food items.   Its all about self control.

If you are fat and you feel hungry wait until you get home, no excuse to walk into McDonald's.  You won't die of hunger.  Eating the burger and fries if you are already a lard ass will almost certainly hasten your demise though.

If on the other hand you are slim, then an occasional McD's burger won't hurt.  Just don't make it a habit.   I reckon I've eaten McD's about 3 times this year.

This is from 6 days ago in Business Insider.

http://www.businessinsider.com/strauss-zelnick-ceo-private-equity-fitness-workout-2016-8

59 year old CEO of Take2 Interactive and founder of Zelnick Media Capital showing how exercise can help keep you young.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of guys on this forum who could do with following his advice.    

2 minutes ago, seancbk said:

This is from 6 days ago in Business Insider.

http://www.businessinsider.com/strauss-zelnick-ceo-private-equity-fitness-workout-2016-8

59 year old CEO of Take2 Interactive and founder of Zelnick Media Capital showing how exercise can help keep you young.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of guys on this forum who could do with following his advice.    

What happened to all of his chest and stomach hair?

The best way for me is to look at my naked body in the mirror every day.

If I can live with what I see knowing the consequences of visceral fat and joint wear and tear above and beyond the aesthetic point of view, I will eat more calories.

If not, I go out and try to burn a few more calories.

My personal experience has led me to believe we are all genetically predisposed to our fat stores. While it sounds like a contradiction, I have always been fit, but overweight. 

I would target exercise and diet to help my performance at sport, thinking body shape would take care of itself. 2 hours a day, 5 days a week of weight training / interval training. But, for me at least, fat stores around the mid section remained. 

admitting to myself I wanted for once in my life to see a "pack" of some description, I embarked on calorie counting and even more exercise. This resulted in significant weight loss to the point of being gaunt and looking skeletal. After 40 years I t dawned on me the only way to get the SHAPE I wanted would be with a doctor and a suction tube.

midsection done, no regrets.

back to normal fitness levels and a lot happier.

its not for everyone and yes it's a vanity thing. I accept that.

it is no replacement for eating healthy and exercise. My visceral fat is very low, another indicator of health.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2559 at 2:04 PM, manfredtillmann said:

it is. there are millions of people on this planet who not once in their life, from birth to death, will have enough food available to even think they might be 'full'.

I just did a 10 day water fast and lost 10 kg

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

No one makes anyone eat french fries or any other food items.   Its all about self control.

If you are fat and you feel hungry wait until you get home, no excuse to walk into McDonald's.  You won't die of hunger.  Eating the burger and fries if you are already a lard ass will almost certainly hasten your demise though.

If on the other hand you are slim, then an occasional McD's burger won't hurt.  Just don't make it a habit.   I reckon I've eaten McD's about 3 times this year.

You entirely missed my point and clearly did not read my references.

This is one of the worst kind of simplistic drivel I have ever heard about obesity. The idea that if you eat more than you need for your daily activities is so imprecise as to be laughable. There are many people who eat far more than they need for their daily activities and yet do not become obese (this may be because they eat so much protein).

Telling people to fast, especially people who are presumably already obese, is highly dangerous. It is akin to stopping your car by switching off the fuel. More likely to cause damage than yield any benefit.

People who are already obese and then start to fast more likely to suffer from insulin resistance could suffer serious health problems and may suffer from a "hypo." Without medical advice, they may suffer from effects of malnutrition (yes, it is possible to be obese and suffer from malnutrition).

The best advice for anyone who is obese is not to listen to this wiseacre but to go to a doctor and engage with the latest in nutrition science. Each individual is different but it is generally seen as best not to go on a fat-free diet - instead, try to eat as healthy a diet while cutting out all sugar based and fast carbs. But only do this with medical advice because even this advice would be wrong for someone who has certain conditions.

But stay away from all the fad diets and diet foods. And don't rely on some unqualified know-all on the internet for your health and medical needs - that is why we have doctors and nutritionists!

3 hours ago, lensta said:

I just did a 10 day water fast and lost 10 kg

Could you give us a lot more information about that?  What was your weight?  What is your weight now?  How did you break the fast?  How many days since it is over and what is your current weight?  Do you follow any other diet?  vegan?  LCHF?  Did you follow the advice of any doctor?  nutritionist?  dietician?   What did you eat today?

7 hours ago, seancbk said:

Directly, from the article linked by the previous poster!  Strange you would know more than a person that researched this problem and talked to 100's of people over a 4 year period:

"What I found, over four years of research and reporting, was a conscious effort — taking place in labs and marketing meetings and grocery-store aisles — to get people hooked on foods that are convenient and inexpensive. I talked to more than 300 people in or formerly employed by the processed-food industry, from scientists to marketers to C.E.O.’s. Some were willing whistle-blowers, while others spoke reluctantly when presented with some of the thousands of pages of secret memos that I obtained from inside the food industry’s operations. What follows is a series of small case studies of a handful of characters whose work then, and perspective now, sheds light on how the foods are created and sold to people who, while not powerless, are extremely vulnerable to the intensity of these companies’ industrial formulations and selling campaigns."

4 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

Directly, from the article linked by the previous poster!  Strange you would know more than a person that researched this problem and talked to 100's of people over a 4 year period:

"What I found, over four years of research and reporting, was a conscious effort — taking place in labs and marketing meetings and grocery-store aisles — to get people hooked on foods that are convenient and inexpensive. I talked to more than 300 people in or formerly employed by the processed-food industry, from scientists to marketers to C.E.O.’s. Some were willing whistle-blowers, while others spoke reluctantly when presented with some of the thousands of pages of secret memos that I obtained from inside the food industry’s operations. What follows is a series of small case studies of a handful of characters whose work then, and perspective now, sheds light on how the foods are created and sold to people who, while not powerless, are extremely vulnerable to the intensity of these companies’ industrial formulations and selling campaigns."

I'm not arguing that companies don't try to make the food appealing in various ways.

My point is no one has a gun to anyone's head.   If you want to eat crap and become fat then that's your own choice.

Personally if I looked in the mirror and I was fat then I'd feel disgusted with myself and I'd something about it.   

23 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I'm not arguing that companies don't try to make the food appealing in various ways.

My point is no one has a gun to anyone's head.   If you want to eat crap and become fat then that's your own choice.

Personally if I looked in the mirror and I was fat then I'd feel disgusted with myself and I'd something about it.   

Later in the same article food scientist working the industry for years actually say...salt, sugar, and fat are addictive. 

Do you believe cigarettes are addictive?  Alcohol?  Crack? Heroin?

The cigarette companies denied nicotine was an addictive drug long after no reputable scientist (other than the ones they paid) would agree.

While your first cigarette is a choice, no one has a choice regarding food.  They certainly must eat. 

In the article they talk about the competition to get into the school lunch program.  Addict them early!  Keep them until the heart attack.  Like the cigarette companies.

When I was young and immature (really into my late 40's) I believed all the same things you are spouting now. 

Big companies depend on it!

On Thursday, September 01, 2016 at 1:22 PM, partington said:

This seems to be a very materialistic world view.

How do you know that they may not discover that a mysterious non-physical force, a "spirit of fat"  if you will , does not affect people's obesity in a way that doesn't depend on the purely materialistic,  physical "amount they eat".

After all so little is known of the effects of quantum physics on our world.  Only a few hundred years ago they thought that radio was impossible.  

How do you know fat is not controlled by dark energy, and not by what we eat?  When will you be able to prove this is not the case?

Twaddle and Poppycock ;)

On Thursday, September 01, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Jingthing said:

The OP's suggestion that people go on a 30 day fast for weight loss is idiotic, dangerous, and for most people, if they succeed with it, will radically reset their metabolic set point and BACKFIRE radically.

If weight control was so simple, it wouldn't be an international epidemic.

While I agree there are risks involved, and its not recommended for everyone, have you tried it?  Do you know anyone who has tried it? I have.  I suggest you research a bit more.

I have fasted MANY times, the longest I believe was around 3 weeks or so. 30 days a very long time, and I personally suggest supplementing in some small ways. The best indicator is how you actually feel. We all know what it feels like when after exercizing on an empty stomach, your body is craving energy, so give it some sweet liquid..... I personally feel invigorated and physically lighter when fasting, but if you get to a point that you feel unwell over any kind of extedned period, just start eating normally again. It's not rocket science!

There have been books written on the medical benefits of fasting going back hundreds of years, and it is still probably the most effective form of dieting. I personally have my own rules for fasting, and supplement with small amounts of vitamins, fruit juice, milk, and the odd cup of tea :)

32 minutes ago, cyborgx said:

I have fasted MANY times, the longest I believe was around

There have been books written on the medical benefits of fasting going back hundreds of years, and it is still probably the most effective form of dieting. I personally have my own rules for fasting, and supplement with small amounts of vitamins, fruit juice, milk, and the odd cup of tea :)

Are those the same old books that encourage blood letting ?

Seriously,  your advice is dangerous and hopefully everyone reading it recognizes that fact. 

This is even more true if someone is continuing an exercise program as part of their weight loss plan.

Archived