What's the most adventurous thing you've done in Thailand

Fabricus

Forum legend VillageFarang stated recently that he and his wife enjoyed a perfect day skydiving in Hawaii.

Wow. Seriously, just wow!

So what's the most adventurous thing you've ever done here in the realm?

Me? Well, I've spent a very long exploring a mountain in Songkhla for "lost forts". I detailed some of my "discoveries" in an earlier thread.

How about you? 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to a lot of posters the obvious answer would be moving here.....

Recently we went to Krabi & opted for a boat tour - what could go wrong? The swells in the sea were huge.....Luckily something hung up in the starter on the wooden boat and it was DOA.....Good - the seas were way too heavy for that thing....

They picked about 14 people & transferred us to a big scuba dive boat...9 of the 14 were good looking females.....I thought there'd be another transfer of people but when the boat returned it only had the crewmen......I guess the others got cancelled...  Don't know....

The back if this boat was one big dive platform low to the water no seats, away we went - trip out was not too bad but not good - most got seasick & the crew broke off all the single girls & took them upstairs......

Did the island hop thing then a couple of spots in the shallows to dive - the crew and girls got really friendly......Ok so far.....

The way back was a different story, we were running against the storm & this guy was running in between the swells.....I've owned boats & it was not a comfortable ride.....The swells were both rolling the boat + swamping the dive section we were on.....I repeatedly watched the rear of the boat go under water while the back end was spooning back and forth trying to raise back out of the water while the engine was trying to pull it out.....Grabbed one guy that got swept & started rolling back toward the rear edge.....Each time it swamped stored life jackets would get swept around with a more than a few swept over.....We kept some on although we were never told to - the crew was still upstairs having a good time with the girls......People were getting sick & getting tossed all around during that hour & a half trip......The engine was mid ship and never missed a beat but the sea water washed into the compartment .... To stall there would have been a disaster & the engine was clearly taxed....

We made it, the wife said never again......She booked it so we'll see.....

It wasn't a fun ride - never did see any of the people from that small wooden boat we'd started on.....

7 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Most adventurous thing i have done in Thailand, i went into town on my mobility scooter.

Now that was scary.

You're the guy with the massive disability problems.

I guess learning to get out and about again is both scary and ....... what's the word for something that grants you the freedom to do new things?

2 hours ago, Fabricus said:

Forum legend VillageFarang stated recently that he and his wife enjoyed a perfect day skydiving in Hawaii.

Wow. Seriously, just wow!

Wow. If I am already a forum legend, I had best stop while I am ahead.  Besides, with forty years of adventurous things to choose from I wouldn't know where to start.:D

23 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

Wow. If I am already a forum legend, I had best stop while I am ahead.  Besides, with forty years of adventurous things to choose from I wouldn't know where to start.:D

If you'll allow me to be serious for a minute -- or perhaps for just a second or two -- I was impressed with your skydiving exploits in Hawaii.

I'd love to the same. Really.

But I'm not so sure I could. I reckon I might freeze up in the plane; worse, I might succumb to a heart attack during free fall.

I'd love to it, but .... well. ..... I dunno ........... 

2 hours ago, Fabricus said:

If you'll allow me to be serious for a minute -- or perhaps for just a second or two -- I was impressed with your skydiving exploits in Hawaii.

I'd love to the same. Really.

But I'm not so sure I could. I reckon I might freeze up in the plane; worse, I might succumb to a heart attack during free fall.

I'd love to it, but .... well. ..... I dunno ........... 

Once you are out the door all fear vanishes and you marvel at the view as your face ripples in the wind.  When the chute finally opens you are jerked back to reality as the ground looms closer.  That last gut-wrenching turn before landing can take a few minutes to recover from as you struggle to  comprehend what just happened and get your land legs but it is an experience you will never forget.

My wife shocked the hell out of me when she changed her mind and said we should go do it but I still let her go out the door first to make sure she didn’t chicken out.

Wrong country, but taking the slow boat to Luang Prabang turned into quite the adventure.

Out boat sank in the middle of nowhere and a lot of people lost their stuff. It was burning season and the hills were on fire all around us.

In the middle of the night a boat picked us up and brought us to their village. The whole village watched us sleep until morning. No one could speak English and I had to converse with them in Thai. The next day they brought us the rest of the way to Luang Prabang.

What's the most adventurous thing you've done in Thailand

Once a year I attend the US Embassy outreach in Pattaya. Not sure if it qualifies as "adventurous," but surviving that without tearing my hair out usually merits a strong drink or two to facilitate recovery.

11 hours ago, Fabricus said:

You're the guy with the massive disability problems.

I guess learning to get out and about again is both scary and ....... what's the word for something that grants you the freedom to do new things?

Money

Many years ago I arrived from Taipei about 2 am at Don Meuang. I wanted to get to Pattaya as soon as possible.

I negotiated a taxi fare of 800 baht and within 5 minutes of entering the taxi, the driver was starting to nod off, repeatedly slapping his own face.

In those days it was more than a 3 hour drive through Chonburi even in the middle of the night.

I took out my dictionary and tried in my best Thai to explain that I could drive if he was tired.

Almost immediately, he pulled over and let me drive his taxi.

He fully reclined the passenger seat and was asleep within 3 minutes of me taking over the wheel and he slept soundly all the way to my hotel.

The driver still made me pay full fare and he did not give me a tip.

17 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

No compositions from me travelling all over Thailand done it for me. :) 

As kwasaki says its the same for me, and you do not need to big a big bike rider to do it. Many small loops from every part of Thailand that can be done on a scooter. Most adventurous, probably riding the entire border solo in one trip mainly on rural roads. Riding up tracks on the Cambodian border and being turned back at military checkpoints on sand tracks is fun, more so when you try to bribe them with a cigarette and they point to the land mine signs on the track you have just ridden through 555