knee replacement

RioMist

Next month I go into hospital for a double knee replacement. I have been preparing  as best I can with excersice on a static bike and excersice in the pool, with walking and jogging in the pool as well as other excersice.  I was wondering how other guys who have had knee replacements managed and any advice would be warmly and gratefully received. I know I'm in for a torrid few weeks after the op so again if any advice post op would be great.

i had both knees replaced in 2010 and am very happy with the results. done in u.s.

on a personal bases i would not have both knees done at the same time. i originally was going to do both at the same time and at the last minute i only did one and 3months later did the other.

if you do both at the same you are basically immobilized. i had very little pain both times.

did surgery on a monday and tuesday had me walking in the halls. late tuesday i was transferred to a rehabilitation clinic/home. they had me doing exercises 3 times a day for 3weeks then discharged me. 3 months later second knee done and only 2weeks in rehabilitation clinic/home then discharged. did physical therapy for 6 months 3 times a week. today i try and use the pool daily to walk forward and backwards and leg lifts and squats. only have good things to say about the surgery. most important thing is physical therapy!!! if you do not consent to a rigorous physical therapy the surgery is useless.

Thanks for your reply Rod... The reason I'm having both done at the same time is financial.  I am saving the cost of 2 anithatist and surgeon fees and operating time. I'm now thinking the same as you though and now it's in my mind just to have one done at a time. It will be more expensive but I do want this to be a success.  Thanks again for your valuable advice I really appreciate your comments.

To have both knees done one at a time is 300000 baht. They also said they could do a better price if I have both done at the same time. The reason is there will be only on cost for doctor and operating time plus only one cost for anithatist.  They never told me the saving to have both done at the same time but I have to go back to the hospital on the 28th September so I will get a full quote then. 

from the financial aspect i see your point. i was lucky and had mine done through Medicare in the states and it only cost me $400.00 each knee. i was 63 when they were done. i had been an automotive technician for over 45 years, it took it's toll on my knees.

i had minimal pain on both TKR.  i have zero pain in my knees now.

besides the pool i go bowling 2-4 times a week and bowl 3-6 games each time. bowling is an approved sport.

if i can be of any help or support just ask, physical therapy is the most important thing. all the muscles and tendons have a memory and you want them to be good through the therapy.

extension and flexation.

Hi Rod.. Many thanks for your kind reply. I was wondering what your routine was... How long did you spend in the pool and what excercises did you do what other excersises did you do out of the pool. I am using a static cycle and having 2 hard 15 min sessions on the bike. Then I spend 40 mins in the pool walking forwards and backwards and doing stretching excercise  too. I'm sure if I follow your routine it will help me a lot when I have the operation on the 19th next month. I'm also overweight but now on a strict diet. I have lost over 7 kilo in just over a week.. and aim to lose a total of 15 kilo before my operation. Again many thanks for your input I really apprecite you taking time out to help

you could try to specifically work on the VMO, vastus medialis , it is said to help the patella track correctly, though, there may be some controversy how much you can really isolate the VMO with any of the exe you can google.

keep in mind that  aerobic exe does not equal strength, but then guess you have a week left, apparently post op most people lose weight, magically,  invest in some re-useable cold packs , don't worry about addiction too much,  i prefer tramadol over the  oxycodones etc 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:48 PM, RioMist said:

Thanks Rod..go into hospital on the 19th Oct.. op on the 20th. Not counting the days hahaha. I sent you a PM.. did you receive it?

let us know how it goes. I am having my knee done next year tired of the tightness and muscle pain.

moe666

i can only suggest you do the knee/knees with a positive attitude and when doing physical therapy. i have had both knees done and it has been a live saver.

while waiting to have it done i would suggest trying to do exercises to strengthen your muscles.

one of the things i do is use a pool, walk forward and backwards, do leg lifts, squats and walk sideways in the pool. i try do do these daily for 1/2 to 1hour a day. if any questions just ask.