Phuket Airport new terminal opening this week

backstairs

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

Anyone tried parking in the old open air car park, which now seems to serve the domestic terminal? I assume it's available overnight, if not I'll just have to find my way to the multi-storey.

Parked there 3 times while in BKK. No problem. Open 24/7.

Friend arrived from SIN on Jetstar at 0920 on Tuesday.  3rd Jan so maybe not a heavy travel day since he said plane wasn't full.  He was 3rd in line at Imm.  I think it's based on the number of planes arriving when you are.  They don't add more staff at peak time.  TIT.

23 hours ago, chercheur888 said:

I am flying in tomorrow morning@ 8, and I would buy ONLY  1 hour at immigration immediately.

What have they done?

Touched down at 7.55am, passed Immigration and customs and was sitting in the car at 8.45am

EK was full till the last seat and a few other planes from international locations landed shortly before.

They allowed the use of the counters for Thai nationals when a few of them had passed.

Looks like they are learning and not so strict on the counters to use.

Anyway, for this time I give them kudos.

On 1/7/2017 at 3:37 PM, schlog said:

Parked there 3 times while in BKK. No problem. Open 24/7.

Is it B200 a day, just like the multi story? I may try the guy across the road at the end of the month.

I left Karon a little later than intended on Saturday, a mistake given the weather conditions, as the journey to the airport took over an hour and a half. Traffic was dreadful, with hold-ups in all the usual places: Chalong Circle, the Naka market turn-off, the Thepkasattri Road underpass, Thalang and the airport underpass. I know how to cut many of these off but decided, wrongly, to take the standard route.

Arriving at the airport I managed to find a space in the open air car park after only two laps and from there it was a quick walk to the domestic terminal. Already running late and in a somewhat grumpy mood anyway, I was astounded to see the number of people standing outside the new, tiny, domestic terminal entrance. There were hundreds queuing, or just milling around wondering how they were going to get in, and with less than an hour until my departure, I was not going to make check-in before the closure of the desk. Yes, the dreaded luggage scanners are at the terminal entrance in domestic as well as international.

I approached the security lady, lied that my flight was in 30 minutes and she allowed me to join the crew/VIP/monk/elderly queue. If I'd waited in the main queue I could possible have joined the elderly queue by right! Not that I should have bothered asking as this queue was being joined by all and sundry anyway, mainly Thais!

And so to check-in. It is a mystery to me why it can take so long for check-in staff to process individuals. What are they looking at on their computer screens? My Nok Air queue wasn't so bad as I was late but the other queues were horrible.  I checked-in with a few still behind me in the queue, cleared security and entered what was the old international departure area, therefore much bigger and more comfortable than the old domestic departure lounge. Of course, the main priority for AOT is to make money and the usual retail outlets were all up and running and all at the same obscene prices. I know airports are generally more expensive than downtown areas but I genuinely believe that Thai airports must be among the highest-priced that I've visited when compared to locally available prices. Where was the promised 10 baht water? I didn't see it, parting with 40 baht for a bottle of Minere after the first shop I tried sold nothing but imported bottles at 100 baht plus!

As I said, the departure lounge is now more comfortable.....unless you have the misfortune to need a bus to the aircraft, quite common now with several bridges out of action. No less than four flights were departing from this congested area at around the same time and you can imagine the chaos, with the Air Asia flight loading from the door next to the Nok Air screen, half the people in the wrong queue, Thai Airways loading at the next door, frantically trying to find the last passengers who were waiting at the wrong gate, who would arrive running, pushing and shoving anyone out of their way, delayed Bangkok Air passengers frustratedly waiting to board and when Nok Air eventually boarded just one bus served all the passengers, necessitating three trips to the aircraft and back. 

The return from Don Muang was a pleasure in comparison. Checked in within five minutes of arrival at the airport, quickly through security and into the Coral Executive Lounge using my Priority Pass. No external luggage scanners in use, which begs the question, why are they necessary at Phuket and not at any other airport? 

The return flight was around 75% full but one aspect was unusual and perhaps telling: I was literally the only farang on the flight! What's going on? 

Arrival was thankfully less hectic than departing and I was in the car quickly and the car park cost was 400 baht for a stay of around 32 hours.

Usually I take four or five domestic flights a year out of Phuket. I sincerely hope that I don't have to take any more until the proper terminal is renovated and up and running. The experience reminded me of the small Greek and Spanish airports which catered for charter flights in the late seventies. For some reason all flights seemed to arrive on the same day, turnaround day, as it was known, and the airport was like a zoo for that one day only. The difference is that Phuket Airport is probably like that every day.

17 hours ago, madmitch said:

I left Karon a little later than intended on Saturday, a mistake given the weather conditions, as the journey to the airport took over an hour and a half. Traffic was dreadful, with hold-ups in all the usual places: Chalong Circle, the Naka market turn-off, the Thepkasattri Road underpass, Thalang and the airport underpass. I know how to cut many of these off but decided, wrongly, to take the standard route.

Arriving at the airport I managed to find a space in the open air car park after only two laps and from there it was a quick walk to the domestic terminal. Already running late and in a somewhat grumpy mood anyway, I was astounded to see the number of people standing outside the new, tiny, domestic terminal entrance. There were hundreds queuing, or just milling around wondering how they were going to get in, and with less than an hour until my departure, I was not going to make check-in before the closure of the desk. Yes, the dreaded luggage scanners are at the terminal entrance in domestic as well as international.

I approached the security lady, lied that my flight was in 30 minutes and she allowed me to join the crew/VIP/monk/elderly queue. If I'd waited in the main queue I could possible have joined the elderly queue by right! Not that I should have bothered asking as this queue was being joined by all and sundry anyway, mainly Thais!

And so to check-in. It is a mystery to me why it can take so long for check-in staff to process individuals. What are they looking at on their computer screens? My Nok Air queue wasn't so bad as I was late but the other queues were horrible.  I checked-in with a few still behind me in the queue, cleared security and entered what was the old international departure area, therefore much bigger and more comfortable than the old domestic departure lounge. Of course, the main priority for AOT is to make money and the usual retail outlets were all up and running and all at the same obscene prices. I know airports are generally more expensive than downtown areas but I genuinely believe that Thai airports must be among the highest-priced that I've visited when compared to locally available prices. Where was the promised 10 baht water? I didn't see it, parting with 40 baht for a bottle of Minere after the first shop I tried sold nothing but imported bottles at 100 baht plus!

As I said, the departure lounge is now more comfortable.....unless you have the misfortune to need a bus to the aircraft, quite common now with several bridges out of action. No less than four flights were departing from this congested area at around the same time and you can imagine the chaos, with the Air Asia flight loading from the door next to the Nok Air screen, half the people in the wrong queue, Thai Airways loading at the next door, frantically trying to find the last passengers who were waiting at the wrong gate, who would arrive running, pushing and shoving anyone out of their way, delayed Bangkok Air passengers frustratedly waiting to board and when Nok Air eventually boarded just one bus served all the passengers, necessitating three trips to the aircraft and back. 

The return from Don Muang was a pleasure in comparison. Checked in within five minutes of arrival at the airport, quickly through security and into the Coral Executive Lounge using my Priority Pass. No external luggage scanners in use, which begs the question, why are they necessary at Phuket and not at any other airport? 

The return flight was around 75% full but one aspect was unusual and perhaps telling: I was literally the only farang on the flight! What's going on? 

Arrival was thankfully less hectic than departing and I was in the car quickly and the car park cost was 400 baht for a stay of around 32 hours.

Usually I take four or five domestic flights a year out of Phuket. I sincerely hope that I don't have to take any more until the proper terminal is renovated and up and running. The experience reminded me of the small Greek and Spanish airports which catered for charter flights in the late seventies. For some reason all flights seemed to arrive on the same day, turnaround day, as it was known, and the airport was like a zoo for that one day only. The difference is that Phuket Airport is probably like that every day.

Thanks for the description.

How late did you arrive at the airport ?

I flew a few times from domestic (late afternoon and very early morning) but did not experience long queue for the entry security checkpoints.

BTW where is the VIP line ?

I eventually arrived less than an hour before my flight. I'm generally quite early as I hate the rushing about.

It was mid-afternoon with several flights scheduled. There were also a number of delays due to the weather.

The so-called VIP line is the first line on the left. 

• 2 weeks later...

They closed now one shortcut with a security at the new terminal.

Main shortcut at gate 6 on arrival level is now the only legal option. At 8 am i was the only one there. 

Easy to find for the guys who don't like to wait 1h at departure level.

20170119_075225.jpg

3 hours ago, schlog said:

They closed now one shortcut with a security at the new terminal.

Main shortcut at gate 6 on arrival level is now the only legal option. At 8 am i was the only one there. 

Easy to find for the guys who don't like to wait 1h at departure level.

20170119_075225.jpg

Was trying to keep this one quiet.... :) 

On 1/9/2017 at 10:25 AM, madmitch said:

<snip> Yes, the dreaded luggage scanners are at the terminal entrance in domestic as well as international.<snip>

<snip>The return from Don Muang was a pleasure in comparison. Checked in within five minutes of arrival at the airport, quickly through security and into the Coral Executive Lounge using my Priority Pass. No external luggage scanners in use, which begs the question, why are they necessary at Phuket and not at any other airport? <snip>

madmitch - the "dreaded luggage scanners" were always used on entry at the original Phuket airport regardless of departing international or domestic.  Nothing has changed there with the opening of the new terminal - both international and domestic terminals now STILL use the same luggage scanners before entry.

DMK domestic has the luggage scanners at the check-in counters, and they scan luggage following check in.  All passengers are required to go to the scanning area at the airside end of the check in counters once they have checked in to make sure their bags have passed security.

DMK international still scans your check-in luggage before you go to the check in counter, as they always have.

To ask why luggage scanners are necessary at Phuket and not at other airports is simply incorrect.  They are used at airports other than Phuket.  You need to keep this in mind and deal with it. You do seem to over react to your travel experiences with long winded rants!

Edited by Argus Tuft

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:39 PM, Argus Tuft said:

To ask why luggage scanners are necessary at Phuket and not at other airports is simply incorrect.  They are used at airports other than Phuket

I think MM was referring to the unusual practice at Phuket of scanning luggage before you actually enter the terminal. This creates yet another queue in the sometimes lengthy process of boarding planes and can cause disruption and bottlenecks in an awkward area. I realise there have been some instances of terrorist bombs in check-in queues, but creating crowds at the front door just moves the problem to a different location.

Everyone is, or should be, aware that all baggage is scanned before being placed in the aircraft at every airport. This is usually done in the baggage make up area beyond check-in. And of course the pax and their hand luggage are scanned before entering a departure lounge.

I think the last thing one of the world's most inefficient airports needs is the creation of extra processes slowing the movement of pax even more.

Edited by Old Croc

Same like the carpet flooring. Looks like a goat flock piddled everywhere.

But by far the best joke since opening is this 'temporary' TG lounge with fat staffer with cracked jackets. Hard times for the Khunjings on HKT.

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I think MM was referring to the unusual practice at Phuket of scanning luggage before you actually enter the terminal. This creates yet another queue in the sometimes lengthy process of boarding planes and can cause disruption and bottlenecks in an awkward area. I realise there have been some instances of terrorist bombs in check-in queues, but creating crowds at the front door just moves the problem to a different location.

Everyone is, or should be, aware that all baggage is scanned before being placed in the aircraft at every airport. This is usually done in the baggage make up area beyond check-in. And of course the pax and their hand luggage are scanned before entering a departure lounge.

I think the last thing one of the world's most inefficient airports needs is the creation of extra processes slowing the movement of pax even more.

Spot on Old Croc.

Used the International Terminal yesterday and agree the rattan seats look very nice but I was surprised that they don't have any tables and chairs up near the rather disappointing, expensive food area on the first floor. Again, just lack of forethought as it would be a more comfortable experience to eat the Burger King breakfast at a table. The franchises themselves have little or no room for seating, no doubt due to extortionate rates charged by AOT. Downstairs, of course, is no more than a King Power shopping mall.

As for entry and Immigration yesterday: the entrance from the Car Park was empty. It has a scanner. Immigration was OK but, despite the recent report that they are now fully equipped, there are a number of booths with yellow OUT OF ORDER stickers on them where they don't yet have computers and passport scanners.  

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I fully understood what madmitch was saying, and I understand your response.

Again, tell me what difference there is between DMK international departures and HKT international departures.

Both have luggage scanning before entering the check in area, and both create huge bottle necks.

What I am saying again is, Phuket is NOT the only airport that does this

1 hour ago, schlog said:

Same like the carpet flooring. Looks like a goat flock piddled everywhere.

But by far the best joke since opening is this 'temporary' TG lounge with fat staffer with cracked jackets. Hard times for the Khunjings on HKT.

'like a goat flock piddle everywhere'

:biggrin:

4 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

I fully understood what madmitch was saying, and I understand your response.

Again, tell me what difference there is between DMK international departures and HKT international departures.

Both have luggage scanning before entering the check in area, and both create huge bottle necks.

What I am saying again is, Phuket is NOT the only airport that does this

With DMK, at least you can queue inside, in the air conditioning. 

• 1 month later...

Landed,( was 4 other planes lined up) through immigration and got my bag in 15 minutes!!

All the immigration counters were manned, was so fast I thought for sure he'd stuffed my dates (I'm on a marriage visa) and only given me 30, but no, he was spot on... I'm officially

amazed!!

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Hard to match that anywhere in the world!

I guess publicity and pressure can have results!

A dampener - perhaps they were set up for the 4 planes behind you and your pilot snuck in first.

It's was very Changi'ish...But I'll be shed load more than amazed if it keeps up.

On 2/25/2017 at 10:35 AM, beechbum said:

Landed,( was 4 other planes lined up) through immigration and got my bag in 15 minutes!!

All the immigration counters were manned, was so fast I thought for sure he'd stuffed my dates (I'm on a marriage visa) and only given me 30, but no, he was spot on... I'm officially

amazed!!

I know someone else who came through yesterday- she was almost in shock with the speed she was dealt with. Seems they have got their house in order now but I guess a lot will still depend on the time of day and flight volumes.

• 1 month later...

Can't say that I am over enamoured with the new set up at Phuket airport, this having just flown to Vietnam and back and experiencing some almost inexplicable events..........

Hadn't been to the airport for a while and thought that the new parking area was actually accessible from the old airport in-road, which it was the last time I visited, although this time it wasn't so I drove through the domestic terminal back out onto the road again and then back into the other terminal entrance in order to access the car park. Unfortunately there were no real signs to show where this was or where the entrance was, and it was a bit of trial and error.

Duly parked in the international terminal and made my way to the domestic terminal because my flight was to Bangkok. Finding a way there was difficult because the overpass or whatever one calls it was not open or if it was there were no signs pointing towards it, so it was back onto the ground floor and out through the puddles, mud, stones and various other building objects whilst wending my way to the domestic terminal – – quite a walk with a heavy bag.

Arrived at check-in and they gave me the tickets and said that I needed to go back to the international terminal because this particular Bangkok air flight needed to be boarded at the international terminal. So back traipsing through the mud, puddles, stones and other things to eventually get to the international terminal AGAIN.

Coming back was slightly easier, although I thought it would be much easier than it was, because at Bangkok we were ushered through a "transit" type area where bags were checked and x-ray machines were used and immigration checked the passports etc. All fine I thought and it would make for a speedy exit when I reached Phuket.

However on reaching Phuket, I was directed into the international terminal to pick up baggage, which I explained I never had, but all the same I was sent there, which was quite a long walk. Arrived at the baggage carousels, and bypassed them only to have to go through customs check again, but thankfully there was no one on duty!! So I was able to waltz through.

It is a bit of a nightmare and in my opinion a lot more signposts/signs would help tremendously and before you comment that I must be the only one who has experienced this, I met several other people in the terminal who had no idea where they had to go, nor could they find any signs pointing anywhere and I felt so sorry for them.

Will be a while yet before they actually find out how to work these two terminals seamlessly, so in the meantime, be prepared for some measure of chaos.

I recently flew into the International terminal, only to find all IO's were back to their old ways of wanting to look important and flip through everyone's passports pages thoroughly, then taking their time in processing the arriving passenger.  Also noted that everyone required to stand in a long queue to have all bags screened at customs before exiting, thereby wasting another 10 minutes unnecessarily.   So it looks like the airport is back to their old ways after a few months of actually being semi proficient in passenger processing.