Retirement Visa funds required.

Hi,

I have just signed up to the forums on Thai Visa although I have been reading this site for two years.

I am confused though about the funding requirements for a retirement visa here in Thailand.  

I have an income way over the required 800,00 baht but my partner has limited amount in his Thai bank account for his next retirement visa extension.

We are both Farangs and not married.  Can he use part of my income as certified by the British Embassy to go towards his next visa extension.

If not why as individuals who are living together have to show a minimum income/saving of 1.6m baht and yet a Farang who is married to a Thai lady only has to show an income of 400,000baht.

Can you see why I am confused?  Or am i missing something?

Many thanks

Since you are not married he has to show his own financial proof. If you were legally married he could get an extension as your dependent with no financial proof.

Marriage to a Thai  has different requirements because it is for humanitarian reasons and the wife could be working to support the family.

• Like 2

Some govt policies will always sound unfair to some groups....and maybe they are unfair, but they are the policies.  And lord knows the subject of Bt800K for a retirement visa/extension vs half that amount for a marriage visa/extension has been bought up many, many, many times on ThaiVisa.

Just letting two partners claim each others income would indeed be convenient and ripe for abuse to the nth degree.   By the way, what would be the definition of a partner for legal purposes?  Lived together one night, one year, 5 years, maybe have a child together, etc?  And what would be the definition of living together?  Going to bed with each other every night, an email to each other every other month, etc.   

I know the great majority of Thais do not make Bt400K/year to where if they did that Bt400K added to the farang spouse's Bt400K would equal the Bt800K for a retirement visa/extension of stay for a single foreigner.  But as already inferred, with one of the spouses being a Thai citizen I guess you could say that earns a benefit not afforded a foreigner....maybe even call it an humanitarian benefit of Thai citizenship.    Such benefits of citizenship occurs in many countries and will always make some foreigners feel it's unfair....maybe it is; maybe it ain't.

As long as state borders exist (and the vast majority of people want them) the elites in each country will determine the rules under which others are allowed to be there. Given inherited builtin tribal instincts most of us still have, it is unsurprising that (a) who is accorded "citizenship" rights within a country will often be racially influenced; and (b) non nationals are discriminated against in laws regulating their presence in the country. Stop expecting it to be logical or fair. Live with reality.

57 minutes ago, Clive said:

Just a thought...Im not giving advice as I don't know the answer but could equity in property in falangland be used to calculate income for the visa??

The only way the equity could be used (and most would not want to do this) is to raise a mortgage on the property to put money in the bank to meet the requirements.

You could consider by yourself to be married each other ....,and make the applications different timetable .....let us say the second partner after first one ... just the time needed for the second seasoning period later after partner 1 has obtained his extension based on retirement (= correct naming...) so you can  arrange the financial matter that way ...

Edited by david555

12 minutes ago, david555 said:

You could consider by yourself to be married each other ....,and make the applications different timetable .....let us say the second partner just a half month later after partner 1 has obtained his extension based on retirement (= correct naming...) so you can  arrange the financial matter that way ...

Not sure how that could be done since the OP is using the income option. I don't think their partner could use his income to apply for an extension.

If the OP was using the money in the bank option it might be possible to move the 800k baht to another bank account after his extension was granted and the partner apply for theirs 3 months later.  But immigration might question where the money came from since it would be a domestic transfer of the money.

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure how that could be done since the OP is using the income option. I don't think their partner could use his income to apply for an extension.

If the OP was using the money in the bank option it might be possible to move the 800k baht to another bank account after his extension was granted and the partner apply for theirs 3 months later.  But immigration might question where the money came from since it would be a domestic transfer of the money.

I was thinking the bank lump sum was used ., my  mistake ......you are right (as always ...)sorry ...

Second remark is correct , how ever I never in 3 years, had this question by immigration, only looking carefully the seasoning period.

Edited by david555

4 hours ago, david555 said:

I was thinking the bank lump sum was used ., my  mistake ......you are right (as always ...)sorry ...

Second remark is correct , how ever I never in 3 years, had this question by immigration, only looking carefully the seasoning period.

How do you know they are not checking the transfer codes as well?

And what is written in the Bank letter (in Thai)?

Edited by Evilbaz

On 13,September, 2016 at 8:57 AM, Nurseynutcase said:

If not why as individuals who are living together have to show a minimum income/saving of 1.6m baht and yet a Farang who is married to a Thai lady only has to show an income of 400,000baht.

Can you see why I am confused?  Or am i missing something?

You can't really compare the two as they are granted for entirely different reasons.

• Retirement (over 50) - 800K is clearly more than enough needed by most people to live here comfortably, but it's set at a high figure that helps control (limit) the number of expats.
  • Marriage - 400K is a minimum amount considered enough to live on for 1 year for someone that qualifies to stay because they are married.