Fake Liquor....

richard_smith237

In Sukhumvit Bar (a sports bar) I recently ordered a Black Label, from the moment I took a Sip I recognised it was not the Genuine Product. 

I enjoy my Whisky, I have a quite a range of Whisky's at home... I'm not an expert, but I know what I like...

This Black Label was not smooth and was too peaty...  

My suspicion - The Bottle Was fake - and whoever was involved in 'flavouring' the bootlegged alcohol made the mistake of adding too much peaty flavour... 

To me it was pretty obvious... 

---------

I didn't want to make a problem... But I pointed out to the Bar staff that I believe their Whisky was fake. They showed me the bottle, it looked real enough. 

I pointed out that I was happy to pay for the drink, no issues there. But confirmed with them that the Whisky I'd just drank is not a Black Label.

A Westerner at the Bar (could've been the Manager or owner) also took a sip, I don't know what he thought... I didn't push the issue, it wasn't worth getting into a potential argument about. I simply won't bother returning to that same place. 

--------

Question: With something as individually subjective as taste, how can you tell Bar Staff that their Whisky is fake without being able to prove it ?

And... How could it be proven at the time ? (i.e. without taking a sample and actually sending it to JW).

1 minute ago, lemonjelly said:

You ordered a shot or a bottle...  ?was the bottle already opened that is..... if so, then easily could have been adulterated with some cheap whiskey.

It was a shot...  And yes, the bottle could have easily been decanted with Blend, 100 Pipers or some other cheap Whisky.... 

I didn't want to accuse the bar of that though, Instead choosing to bring in to question where they purchased the Whisky from... 

As Chivas and JW are the most frequently drank '*premium' Whisky's in Thailand, they are also the most counterfeited.... 

It would make more sense in future to go for a Jameson's (Irish Whiskey) which is also fairly smooth and far less likely to be bootlegged. 

(*I used the word premium loosely !)

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It was a shot...  And yes, the bottle could have easily been decanted with Blend, 100 Pipers or some other cheap Whisky.... 

I didn't want to accuse the bar of that though, Instead choosing to bring in to question where they purchased the Whisky from... 

As Chivas and JW are the most frequently drank '*premium' Whisky's in Thailand, they are also the most counterfeited.... 

It would make more sense in future to go for a Jameson's (Irish Whiskey) which is also fairly smooth and far less likely to be bootlegged. 

(*I used the word premium loosely !)

They've probably just created their own "blend" lol..... maybe one of the bar staff has been indulging and replaced missing JW with cheap crap. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, metisdead said:

If you thought your drink of Black Label was fake, it was probably was:

Thought the Black Label gave you a headache lately? - here's why!

Yep... been following and contributed to that thread !... 

Two weeks after I post this topic.. news regarding Fake Black Label is released...  

Suspicions pretty much confirmed... although the owner of the bar seemed to have a 'you must be wrong' attitude rather than, the customer may be correct attitude...

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2016 at 5:00 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Yep... been following and contributed to that thread !... 

Two weeks after I post this topic.. news regarding Fake Black Label is released...  

Suspicions pretty much confirmed... although the owner of the bar seemed to have a 'you must be wrong' attitude rather than, the customer may be correct attitude...

But back to your earlier, more correct solution.

Drink Jameson's.

I don't understand...a 'peaty' aspect is an indication of malt whisky and Black Label is a blend and a swill...some dumb barman simply 'adulterated' the boddil with a superior whisky...

I don't unnerstand...(where's my cheap Gilbey's vodka?...mutter, mutter...)

On October 11, 2016 at 3:07 AM, tutsiwarrior said:

I don't understand...a 'peaty' aspect is an indication of malt whisky and Black Label is a blend and a swill...some dumb barman simply 'adulterated' the boddil with a superior whisky...

I don't unnerstand...(where's my cheap Gilbey's vodka?...mutter, mutter...)

I'm not so sure.... I suspect that 'flavourings' can be added to a Cheap Blend to give off the peaty and smoky flavours...   I'm guessing they just got it wrong when 'mixing the swill'... 

If you've ever had Black Label 'Double Black' you will recognise that it is more Peaty than standard black label. 

Worked in pubs for years, in Australia and the UK, and it was common practice to top up empty bottles of good brands with cheaper "no name" or generic spirits. Never had any customer ever question it.

Edited by giddyup

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Worked in pubs for years, in Australia and the UK, and it was common practice to top up empty bottles of good brands with cheaper "no name" or generic spirits. Never had any customer ever question it.

Clubs and pubs have been doing it for decades in the UK.  I also worked in several bars and had a customer swear he knew the difference between his favourite smirnoff and any other brand ...I didn't want to spoil his happiness and tell him he'd been drinking vladivar and various other cheap brands for months as Bass Ireland didn't sell Smirnoff to be sold in any of thear bars. 

Edited by Macthehat
Spelling check