Brit Bashing

ourmanflint

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to say that there are some brilliant inventions most of us take for granted and ALL were invented by the greatest nation on earth ..... The Brits !!! :o

Light Bulbs

Disc Brakes

Cats Eyes

Corkscrew

Scuba Gear

Penicillin

Radar

Internal Combustion Engine

What did those OZ pple invent??? PMSL

Yeh but George Stephenson ran the first modern railway between Liverpool and Manchester, and the locomotive steam engine that he used, was called The Rocket. I didn't need an encyclopedia either.

Got to disagree with you there. It was Stockton - Darlington and we have the Rocket here oop north :D

Yeh stockton and darlington, I couldn't for the life of me remember the place where it was. Manchester tho', right?

That's in ENGLAND! :D

Sorry but gotta larf at that... they can have Man Utd but Stockton and Darlington is North East England (near Middlesbrough) :D

Well I'm only slightly ashamed, must be twenty odd years since I learnt about it at school. I do feel like a proper Southerner now tho'... ha ha..

well you know it is north of Watford.. :o

So as I said That's in ENGLAND! :D

Edited by Robski

Got to disagree with you there. It was Stockton - Darlington and we have the Rocket here oop north :o

Sorry to keep doing this but if you are refering to the Rocket that is in the Railway Museum York that is a replica built in the 70's, the original Rocket (or whats left of it ) is in the Science Museum in London.

Thomas Savery an English Military Engineer first patented the steam engine in 1698. I got that off the web !! :o

Most "inventions" are merely refinements to the work of prior inventors. Like language, it's often difficult to name the primary author as it's always a work in progress. Regarding the steam engine, I think the Brits refined the work of the French who were refining the work the Greeks set out centuries earlier.

Got to disagree with you there. It was Stockton - Darlington and we have the Rocket here oop north :D

Sorry to keep doing this but if you are refering to the Rocket that is in the Railway Museum York that is a replica built in the 70's, the original Rocket (or whats left of it ) is in the Science Museum in London.

In ENGLAND! :o

Most "inventions" are merely refinements to the work of prior inventors. Like language, it's often difficult to name the primary author as it's always a work in progress. Regarding the steam engine, I think the Brits refined the work of the French who were refining the work the Greeks set out centuries earlier.

Sounds like sour grapes.... :o

The foreign hordes love to bash the English (lets face it we know where the Scotts and Welsh stand) 'cos they know we are the best and want to try and put us down, and there's nothing an Englishman loves more than proving the foreign hordes just how wrong they are about us, it's just one more thing we are good at....

Edited by Robski

THe foreign hordes love to bash the English (lets face it we know where the Scotts and Welsh stand) 'cos they know we are the best and want to try and put us down, and there's nothing an Englishman loves more than proving the foreign hordes just how wrong they are about us, it's just one more thing we are good at....

Sour grapes? And I didn't even mention that America had 23 times more new patents than Britain last year. Hey, did you see this years Nobel Prize winners?

THe foreign hordes love to bash the English (lets face it we know where the Scotts and Welsh stand) 'cos they know we are the best and want to try and put us down, and there's nothing an Englishman loves more than proving the foreign hordes just how wrong they are about us, it's just one more thing we are good at....

Sour grapes? And I didn't even mention that America had 23 times more new patents than Britain last year. Hey, did you see this years Nobel Prize winners?

Definately sour grapes.... :D

Edited by Robski

In ENGLAND! :o

Oh yes !!!! :D

If only... for one those patents weren't all filed by US citizens but tens of thousands of European and Indian scientists. And most of the patents are nonsensical, US drug companies all racing to patent chemical found in nature, not exactly groundbreaking.

In the same spirit we "invented" Oxygen and DNA

:o

The foreign hordes love to bash the English (lets face it we know where the Scotts and Welsh stand) 'cos they know we are the best and want to try and put us down, and there's nothing an Englishman loves more than proving the foreign hordes just how wrong they are about us, it's just one more thing we are good at....

Could not agree with you more. Now we have got off sport the Australians have gone quiet, so who's next the Americans !!! :o

Pot calling the kettle black I think :D

Ok Wolf, here is a, by no way comprehensive list, of Australian inventions and firsts.

Give me 10 to 1! (coincidentally about Englands odds in the next test. :D )

Oz_inventions.doc

Challenge accepted, let me do my homework and I will be back !!!

Did it earlier..... the results are..... satisfying :o

Decorum and forum peace prevents me from saying any more...... I'm already on holiday, I don't wish to be granted another one :D

Signed

Kylie Miniscule

Rolf Harris

Michael Hutchence

Skippy

Bluey

The staff at Prisoner Cell Block H

The Fosters taste test team

Kerry Package

Dame Edna (by special invitation, as he/she has been one of the few that can ridicule his/her own nation in preference to pointing out the defects in others)

:D

If only... for one those patents weren't all filed by US citizens but tens of thousands of European and Indian scientists. And most of the patents are nonsensical, US drug companies all racing to patent chemical found in nature, not exactly groundbreaking.

If believing that helps get you through your day, than I say, why not?

Have to say that there are some brilliant inventions most of us take for granted and ALL were invented by the greatest nation on earth ..... The Brits !!! :o

Light Bulbs

Disc Brakes

Cats Eyes

Corkscrew

Scuba Gear

Penicillin

Radar

See my post further back for a list of Oz inventions. #508

I also claimed penicillin for Australia. Fleming initially discovered the substance, but couldn't utilise it. For him it was just mould. It was later isolated by the Australian, Howard Florey, and E. Chain. It was Florey who turned it into the practical medication that was used to save millions of lives.

Florey, Fleming and Chain shared the nobel prize for the discovery.

Edited by Old Croc

If believing that helps get you through your day, than I say, why not?

Oxygen ad DNA were not invented, they were discovered.

A little like gravity ..... Isaac Newton discovered gravity.... another nation invented the Fig Newton, and another one blames their distended guts on it.

Sorry guys, apart from a couple of other European nations, the rest of the developed world has contributed very little...... now waiting for the "ah yes... you developed this" in the negative sense, which will naturally follow.

Have to say that there are some brilliant inventions most of us take for granted and ALL were invented by the greatest nation on earth ..... The Brits !!! :D

Light Bulbs

Disc Brakes

Cats Eyes

Corkscrew

Scuba Gear

Penicillin

Radar

I also claimed penicillin for Australia. Fleming initially discovered the substance, but couldn't utilise it. For him it was just mould. It was later isolated by the Australian, Howard Florey, and E. Chain. It was Florey who turned it into the practical medication that was used to save millions of lives.

How did 'Scuba' get a mention.... that was a French chap.... stands for Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus ...... and like a few French chaps, his name was Jacque.

Croc, your list had a few anomalies in it and I got a little bit weary of chasing down most of them, so I gave up.

If you would like to create a more definitive list of Australian inventions, without the obvious forks in the road.... that would b great.

BTW ... the Boomerang got there before you did, most of the rest of the world had the non-return version called a stick :o:D

[Croc, your list had a few anomalies in it and I got a little bit weary of chasing down most of them, so I gave up.

If you would like to create a more definitive list of Australian inventions, without the obvious forks in the road.... that would b great.

BTW ... the Boomerang got there before you did, most of the rest of the world had the non-return version called a stick :o:D

If you found a few anomolies in my list you should mention them so they can be debated. To give up and then suggest I start all over again until the list meets your undisclosed level of satisfaction is ludicrous. :D

Since I started this research it became obvious there are many blurred edges with inventions. You Brits can't even decide who, and when, invented the steam engine, and I'm sure a lot of Yanks would claim Edison perfected the working light bulb.

Did Leonardo invent the tank or helicopter because he thought of the idea? :D

A lot of discussion in this subject, perhaps in another thread as it appears off topic to this one. :D

BTW The boomerang was very important because it was the first device to use a curved shape to gain lift, the precursor to the aircraft wing. Not just a stick!

Edited by Old Croc

Australians invented the first ever stone tools, about 60,000 years ago.

Difficult to make anything else without this start. :o:D

Evidence for use of stone tools first came from Olduvai Gorge in Tansania. These tools were found in the lowest levels dating to nearly 2.0 million years ago. In southern Ethiopia, stone tools dating to as early as 2.3 to 2.4 million years ago have been discovered. These are clearly not just rocks but true artifacts. Someone or something has modified them by percussion and use. There are different kinds of tools as well. The overall evidence suggests that between 2.3 and 2.5 million years ago hominids began to use stone materials as tools. In some cases, the individuals who made and used these tools came back to a single location and eventually deposited a concentration of these stone artifacts.

As the first humans did not inhabit Australia until around fifty to sixty thousand years ago i can see a huge void in your claim and it measures about 2.44 million years wide.

Edited by Don Quixote

You Brits can't even decide who, and when, invented the steam engine,

No I'll think you'll have to concede that we did come to an agreement in the end, it was in ENGLAND! save you the bother of checking tho' it wasn't an ozzy, surprise surprise something a bit more refined than stone tools was needed for such a feat of engineering.. :o

Edited by Robski

You Brits can't even decide who, and when, invented the steam engine,

No I'll think you'll have to concede that we did come to an agreement in the end, it was in ENGLAND! save you the bother of checking tho' it wasn't an ozzy, surprise surprise something a bit more refined than stone tools was needed for such a feat of engineering.. :o

In England, by a Scotsman.

[Croc, your list had a few anomalies in it and I got a little bit weary of chasing down most of them, so I gave up.

If you found a few anomolies in my list you should mention them so they can be debated. To give up and then suggest I start all over again until the list meets your undisclosed level of satisfaction is ludicrous. :D

Since I started this research it became obvious there are many blurred edges with inventions. You Brits can't even decide who, and when, invented the steam engine, and I'm sure a lot of Yanks would claim Edison perfected the working light bulb.

Did Leonardo invent the tank or helicopter because he thought of the idea? :D

Yes, I think he did.

And thanks to the fighter of windmills for pointing out that this is a British thing, not just an English one.

I respect the Welsh, because I am British

I respect the Scots, because I am British

I respect the Irish, because I am British

I respect the Australians, because I am British

Such a pity that it appears to be a one-way street.

Before you bash the Brits, I would humbly suggest that you look to yourself first, is there any room for improvement, if the answer is 'no' you are either ignorant or dictatorial.

I respect the Welsh, because I am British

I respect the Scots, because I am British

I respect the Irish, because I am British

I respect the Australians, because I am British

Such a pity that it appears to be a one-way street.

Before you bash the Brits, I would humbly suggest that you look to yourself first, is there any room for improvement, if the answer is 'no' you are either ignorant or dictatorial.

Were these remarks directed at me Thaddeus? Despite the name of the thread I don't think I have really bashed any Brits in my few posts here.

I have been responding to a post or two by others who suggested Australians have never contributed to the world, by posting a list of OZ inventions. This started a little mild debate on who invented what, but nothing very incendiary. Your last sentence is more than a little strange.

Have to say that there are some brilliant inventions most of us take for granted and ALL were invented by the greatest nation on earth ..... The Brits !!! :D

Light Bulbs

Disc Brakes

Cats Eyes

Corkscrew

Scuba Gear

Penicillin

Radar

How did 'Scuba' get a mention.... that was a French chap.... stands for Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus ...... and like a few French chaps, his name was Jacque.

Croc, your list had a few anomalies in it and I got a little bit weary of chasing down most of them, so I gave up.

Scuba equipment .....

John Smeaton, William James, Henry Fleuss - All British :D

Hero of Alexandria invented the steam engine :D

Aussies don't need to invent anything to enhance our country's prosperity. We have what the rest of the world wants:

Coal, iron ore, gold, uranium, Donz, The Ashes (soon), climate, beaches.....with sand, opals, Elle MacPherson, VB beer.....cold, succulent prawns, wool, wheat..........I could keep going but you get my drift. :D

You Poms want to brag about some old rattler of rails....sheesh!! This is the space age. Get yourselves up to date. :o