Certificate Of Residence: Another Change To Procedure

Greenside

As of today, the C of R is free for everyone.

The bad news, if you are in a hurry, is there is no longer an option to pay for an "express" service and issuing one takes two weeks plus what seemed to be an astoundingly long in-depth interview with an immigration officer on the 2nd floor of Promenada.  They'll want to see your TM30 and all the usual stuff plus two passport size pictures which I think is a new requirement.

Its not as though Immigration does not know where

we already live, with 90 day reports, TM28, TM30,

when we renew our visa or extension,and that new

form,that i dont know the name of,all require you

to state your address.

regards worgeordie

Agreed worgeordie, but logic or common sense doesnt appear to be a strong point out at Promenada.  Either that or making systems easier for all concerned is not a priority.  I think an applicable term would be the proverbial 'dick around'.

40 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

30 days from date of issue.

So if buying something like a car it's really going to stall out the sales - transfer to new owner process & make it a 2-3 week ordeal/negotiation $$$$$ exchange.....

If you need multiple copies can you get more originals like apply for 3 

Car Drivers Licence 

Bike Drivers License 

New Green book for lost Green book 

All require a RC ORIGINAL 

So its 2 PP Pictures and TM30 what else do people need to take 

2 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

How long are they good for? It's going to make some things very difficult....Such as buying/selling a vehicle....

I do not remember the exact date but...back when I bought a new Motorcycle they...Kawasaki...

were happy my COR was from the US Consulate

They claimed the one from the Consulate does not expire in 30 days like the Imm one does

I forget what the life of it was but it may have been 6-12 months

You can call & check with the consulate

I also saw someone say $2300 @ US Embassy which I think he meant baht at Consulate

but when I got mine it was $50 USD or baht equivalent which was closer to  15-1700 baht

Lastly I agree with worgeordie ....the whole thing is as usual nuts & paper heavy with

more of what they already know...ie: where you live etc.

Edited by mania

20 minutes ago, mania said:

I do not remember the exact date but...back when I bought a new Motorcycle they...Kawasaki...

were happy my COR was from the US Consulate

They claimed the one from the Consulate does not expire in 30 days like the Imm one does

I forget what the life of it was but it may have been 6-12 months

You can call & check with the consulate

I also saw someone say $2300 @ US Embassy which I think he meant baht at Consulate

but when I got mine it was $50 USD or baht equivalent which was closer to  15-1700 baht

Lastly I agree with worgeordie ....the whole thing is as usual nuts & paper heavy with

more of what they already know...ie: where you live etc.

Its up to the DLT they say 30 days. 

Edited by khwaibah

1 minute ago, khwaibah said:

Its up to the DLT they say 30 days. And do the fact that the US Consult is closed tell November you would have to go to an out reach  for any info.

I was just thinking about the sutuation on the most recent car I bought....The seller was a farang & bound to report back to the US in a week for a family medical crisis....

He needed the COR as did I....We got there about 2 days ahead of his flight....

Now that would be an impossible scenario....

He told me they didn't require a COR to sell his scooters but did for the SUV.....

If buying from a Thai it might tax their patience & cause a negotiation breakdown - first come first sold....

11 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Its up to the DLT they say 30 days. And do the fact that the US Consult is closed tell November you would have to go to an out reach  for any info.

If it were good for 4-6 months, or maybe until the expiration of a signed lease agreement, people would be able to organise/plan ahead....

7 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

I was just thinking about the sutuation on the most recent car I bought....The seller was a farang & bound to report back to the US in a week for a family medical crisis....

He needed the COR as did I....We got there about 2 days ahead of his flight....

Now that would be an impossible scenario....

He told me they didn't require a COR to sell his scooters but did for the SUV.....

If buying from a Thai it might tax their patience & cause a negotiation breakdown - first come first sold....

For selling a scoter in CNX the DLT say you don't need a CR but most other DLT's in Thai;and require it.

29 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

For selling a scoter in CNX the DLT say you don't need a CR but most other DLT's in Thai;and require it.

I just sold a scooter to a Thai two weeks ago.

Chiang Mai DLT required a CR from me if I didn't go in person with the buyer. 

I went. 

Needed Passport copy, visa copy, and TM-6 copy.

4 hours ago, Greenside said:

As of today, the C of R is free for everyone.

The bad news, if you are in a hurry, is there is no longer an option to pay for an "express" service and issuing one takes two weeks plus what seemed to be an astoundingly long in-depth interview with an immigration officer on the 2nd floor of Promenada.  They'll want to see your TM30 and all the usual stuff plus two passport size pictures which I think is a new requirement.

Thanks for the update.

Could you give us a few more details?

Do we go to the usual downstairs bit in promenade and they will book us in for the extended interview?

What sort of in-depth questions can we expect?

Can we get 2 originals at the same time?

I've rented a condo via an agent I will be chasing them for the TM30 which I presume they will have a copy of. is it a matter of taking in a copy or a print out of the online form?

Thanks again

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

2nd floor of Promenada? Isn't that G4T new office, or is that the 3rd floor?

Immigration have opened a seperate office on the second floor.  I could see it from the escalator just around the corner from G4T office.  I wondered what it was for. 

So why should it take weeks longer to do something simply because there is now no fee associated with it? A consulate does it while you wait.  Just more game playing by Immigration.

The last times I bought a new car and also a new motorcycle from Yamaha, they didn't care when I gave them the C of R.  They gave me the vehicles and just said they would process the paperwork whenever I brought in the C of R.

Edited by silverhawk_usa
Addition.

The Immigration Officer at Prom said this morning that too many people had been applying for CoR's and that it was taking too much in the way of resources to process them.  This may have been what he was told, but given that he spent the best part of an hour entering all the information on the application form and some kind of summary of the interview on the computer for just one person, it seems unlikely that the new system is going to help in any way.  He was a very helpful guy - you have to feel sorry for the people at the sharp end.

There is no queuing system in the upstairs office (which is next to K Phone, in the corner to the right at the top of the escalator) so you need to ask which desk to wait at.  Fortunately, there were plenty of chairs.  Show your paperwork to the girls downstairs in front of the main office and they direct you to the 2nd floor.  The girls downstairs clearly don't know what is required for this new setup yet as they should have sent us away for a TM30 which would have saved a lot of time.  Another thing to watch out for: should you be staying with a friend, a copy of their ID card and Tabien Baan all signed, which would once have been accepted is no longer good enough.  What you would need to do in this case is anyone's guess.

This may not be definitive but I believe that you need to present at least:

• The application form (here's a link)
  • Two passport size photos
  • Evidence of where you are living - presumably the same as before, ie a lease or confirmation from the Juristic Person in a Condo Building etc.
  • Passport - original with TM30 receipt
  • Signed copies of the usual pages (picture page, current visa, last arrival stamp, arrival card and anything else you can think of).

Given the amount of detail that seems to be needed now, I'd venture that the days of getting one from a consulate may be numbered - how could they possibly allow a CoR that needs very few details to co-exist with something where you need to go through this performance when something as important as a driver's license is at stake?  Well....

These rules.

Edited by Greenside

Just another muck around by Immigration for what should be a straight forward system.

Too much paperwork in an electronic era is just counterproductive. 

Maybe in 20 years they will catch up to today's technology. ....but then new technology will make their advance obsolete.  I suppose we just gotta live with their systems (Or lack thereof)

In my opinion, this is excellent news.

Previously you could get your CoR from CM Immigration within one day for a fee of 500 baht, or, you could wait two weeks and get it free. 

However, after all the bitching about the 500 baht fee, CM Immigration withdrew issue of all CoR's altogether, which, for me, would have entailed a trip to Bangkok and the payment of the extortionate UK Embassy fee of in excess of 2,000 baht.

So, be careful what you complain about. After all, Immigration have the upper hand and can make things difficult, or even withdraw services, at a stroke.

Cambodia is not that pleasant, and with a Thai wife it would difficult to bring her there, but, Cambodia has now offered a 3 year visa to many of us to live there, to run our own business's there......and to be careful there. 

Thailand appears to be becoming a place for even retirees to visit, not stay...Ken

1 hour ago, Teak said:

Cambodia is not that pleasant, and with a Thai wife it would difficult to bring her there, but, Cambodia has now offered a 3 year visa to many of us to live there, to run our own business's there......and to be careful there. 

Thailand appears to be becoming a place for even retirees to visit, not stay...Ken

That 3 year visa is not official yet and very likely will not be.

Good news or bad news : depending on your point of view...

G4T visa agents are now providing a fast track service for certificate of residence.

I went to Promenada with the intention of doing it all myself.

I had the tm30 evidence and a filled in application form on my USB stick, I usually get the print outs at my local copy shop but couldn't yesterday and I presumed the copy shop downstairs could do print outs. Well they can't, this led me to into G4T to ask if they could print out, they said they could process the application for the old 500b fee and be ready for pick-up on Friday.

The quicker I get a motorcycle licence the better so it was fine.

A point to note was they had run out of receipt paper. I'm sure this was merely a coincidence (if you believe in that sort of thing) & I'm to show my passport on pickup.

Sent from my mobile, please forgive the autocorrect.

Mentioned before but the actual physical  time to produce a certificate of residence is about 3 minutes, insert date,  name ,address, on template on computer press print,    mission accomplished . Watched the young guy who now works at GT4 do it.About the same time it takes a bank teller,over the counter, to put some cash in your account.

Talk about turning mole hills into mountains. Too many people applying for residence certificates ,its all our fault,oh dear.

Thank you Greenside