Uni student warns of armed gangs attacking passengers on Bangkok minivans

webfact

Uni student warns of armed gangs attacking passengers on Bangkok minivans

p3.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- A Kaset university student has gone online to warn fellow students and the public after a man with a knife tried to steal her phone and possessions on a minivan.

Only the actions of the driver saved her after several fellow passengers ignored her distress, reported Thairath.

The student who was in uniform said in a Facebook post yesterday that she was sitting in the last row of seats in the van from The Mall in Ngam Wong Wan Road to Kaset University a few kilometers away.

She said that strangely a man got up from a seat in front and sat right next to her. He squeezed her arm and asked her what valuables she had. 

He then put a knife to her back. She asked for help but no one in the seats in front of her lifted a finger to help.

Strangely one or two of the men in front looked back then looked forward again as she suffered. She didn't want to scream because of the knife but started crying.

The driver saw her distress and called out to ask if something was wrong. The driver then stopped the vehicle and when he pulled open the door six men including the knife holding man all jumped out and fled.

The driver said that he had seen this group many times and they were clearly working together. The girl - who referred to herself as "Muk" then sat in the front and reached her destination safely.

She warned her fellow students at Kaset to watch out for such a gang saying that she thought it strange that a uni student would be targeted. 

"Did they think I had a lot of money?" she asked online, "everyone should beware - you may not be as lucky as me".

Police at Pahonyothin and Bang Khen stations told reporters they had not received a report from anyone about the incident.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-21

I read the article to say the fellow passengers were part of the gang. When the van stopped they all fled together. 

I guess lucky they didn't attack the driver.

As stated the girl targeted is a student, therefore little chance she was  carrying valuables or a large amount of money.

Another thought - was this actually a gang rape attempt?

Perhaps all vans and buses should have well secured wide angle cameras?

48 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I read the article to say the fellow passengers were part of the gang. When the van stopped they all fled together. 

I guess lucky they didn't attack the driver.

As stated the girl targeted is a student, therefore little chance she was  carrying valuables or a large amount of money.

Another thought - was this actually a gang rape attempt?

Perhaps all vans and buses should have well secured wide angle cameras?

Thanks for the clarification wrt the other passengers.......

33 minutes ago, DLang said:

I thought this would be about the armed Thai college gangs starting to attack other college students on minivans. As opposed to on ordinary buses, restaurants and streets.

Thank God it's only this.

True, but puzzling. Six or seven gang members, seems they had a plan to wait for one passenger to enter the van then they all entered, and no other passengers. Did they follow just any random passenger, or any random female passenger, or was it all set up to attack this specific girl? Is it a jilted lover and his buddies?

If it's a random passenger, why? Steal money or valuables? Seems doubtful - It's a uni student.

Random rape? Maybe, but a lot of trouble to commit a random rape.

Was the real target the driver?  If they are this well organized why didn't they demand he stop and ditch him, and then drive to a secluded spot?

The driver was untouched but he did try to help the girl. Why didn't the gang attack him for intervening?

Was the driver a buddy of the knife wielder and his gang?

Edited by scorecard

"The driver said that he had seen this group many times and they were clearly working together. " Yet he picked them up... was he to get a "cut" of the proceeds?

maybe he contacted police, but they were all too busy playing dominoes, mah jong and cards?

Seems a bit strange to me.

6 men travelling together, on a minivan, for attempted robbery of a single girl student?

And who did the driver tell that he had seen this group 'many times' if the incident was not reported to the police? Only to the victim who then posted to the social media? If it wasn't for the driver's statement i would have said this was either a stupid prank or an act of intimidation.

I really am not trying to disrespect the girl, and if it did happen as stated, i hope she mentally recovers from her ordeal. But it still seems strange to me.

3 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Getting bold now.........and the fellow passengers are just so typically Thai....don't get involved!

Thieves run in gangs now, 3-6, and usually one or two carries a gun or a pipe.

Even a person with combat, military or self defense training would never get involved in a tight area like inside a van to take up a offensive posture  to neutralize the situation.

It would be foolish to  intervene with a knife held on the woman. There is no doubt she would get stabbed. It's better for her to lose her valuables. Did she even have any valuables?

To disarm a  thief with a knife or a gun one must be standing upright to move for the proper, offensive retrieval and strike. 

History has shown us that many good samaritans along with the person getting robbed have died trying to do the right thing.  Only to be determined later that the personal property had little value.

Most people worldwide no longer get involved, because of gangs and a endless supply of guns!  There is also a fear of future retribution. 

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

"The driver said that he had seen this group many times and they were clearly working together. " Yet he picked them up... was he to get a "cut" of the proceeds?

maybe he contacted police, but they were all too busy playing dominoes, mah jong and cards?

and this type of robbery hasn't been reported yet ? If the driver has noticed them before then probably they've robbed before.

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

did you read where 6 of the fellow passengers were part of the gang ?

He was corrected on that earlier on..

Funny though, when reading this i was thinking how long before someone makes that kind of comment.

Not reading even the few lines and

going off half cocked with the anti

Thai/people ignoring those in need.

Didnt take long   

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

and this type of robbery hasn't been reported yet ? If the driver has noticed them before then probably they've robbed before.

doubt the driver is part of the gang but if he is aware of their existence, he ought to have to reported the matter to the police.

2 hours ago, BlindMagician said:

All vans should have HD cameras, good lighting, etc. Might help.

CCTV  cameras is a great idea but from what I have read these petty robber do not really care.CCTV cameras are deterrent for people who fear getting caught. these guys do not appear to be so.

If the gang has been seen before on minibuses they might be targetting one particular individual by following her around first of all to see what she spends, what type of phone she uses, how much money she seems to have and where she lives. How far is it from the bus stop to her home and are the streets well lit or not etc.

That means girls in particular need to be more aware of their surroundings and keep an eye out for unknown persons who often appear close by.

7 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Nope. Busy arresting pensioners playing dominoes, mah jong, and bridge.

11 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Getting bold now.........and the fellow passengers are just so typically Thai....don't get involved!

"The driver then stopped the vehicle and when he pulled open the door six men including the knife holding man all jumped out and fled."

I'd say they were very involved. 

In America this would not happen as there are enough people with guns, that the knife man would  have suffered lead poisoning.

Lucky for this student to get way without losing what stuff she had on her person. Sounds like the economy in THailand

is getting worse, or these lazy thugs are getting lazier. If that is a word.

Geezer