Can you skip the drivers license tests ?

hansomman

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 9:03 PM, JaiLai said:

Been here 17 years, failed test 5 times, gave up!

Drive all over thailand, outwith the main s***holes & police are generally cool when they pull you over, bit of banter and off you pop, normally no fine, license or not.

Accidents and insurance i understand that i roll the dice...

"Been here 17 years, failed test 5 times, gave up!"

You're either part of the problem, or part of the solution...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/25/2016 at 9:03 PM, JaiLai said:

Been here 17 years, failed test 5 times, gave up!

Drive all over thailand, outwith the main s***holes & police are generally cool when they pull you over, bit of banter and off you pop, normally no fine, license or not.

Accidents and insurance i understand that i roll the dice...

took me 3 attempts to get my car license.

Decided I could not go through the pain again for my bike license so I choose to run the no license/no insurance gauntlet instead.

Not read every post on this, so someone may have posted same.

anyway, if you have a valid motorcycle license from your own country, along with International license, then you dont have to sit the full tests etc.

the only things you do are the colour blind test and the brake reaction test .

you then get a license for two years initially, which can be extended to five after the two years.

and as far as i am aware, and as in my case, you certainly do not need to wear long trousers. Shorts and decent t-shirt is fine.

19 minutes ago, anfh said:

Not read every post on this, so someone may have posted same.

anyway, if you have a valid motorcycle license from your own country, along with International license, then you dont have to sit the full tests etc.

the only things you do are the colour blind test and the brake reaction test .

you then get a license for two years initially, which can be extended to five after the two years.

and as far as i am aware, and as in my case, you certainly do not need to wear long trousers. Shorts and decent t-shirt is fine.

#8, #20, #30

you'll learn, with time. i did, too. any many others here.

cheers

mft

I used my EU license and didn't have to do any test other than colour blind and reaction time (very very simple).  Can't remember the price but it was something around the 300 baht mark because I needed photos and copies made of 'stuff'.  After the 1 year expired, the 5 year was just a paperwork formality.  Suggest you take a native Thai speaker with you, but 3000baht is definitely more than I would expect to pay for assistance in filling out a form.  There is no chain of command who each want their pound of flesh.

25 minutes ago, manfredtillmann said:

#8, #20, #30

you'll learn, with time. i did, too. any many others here.

cheers

mft

You are absolutely right and I don't understand why nearly all these people who make the definitive statements don't also add the location of the DLT to which it is relevant - then we could see some real fun when 2 people have markedly different experiences at the same location :partytime2:

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Ahh my stalker mate is chasing me around the forum I see.

yes I understand English (why cannot you not use it on the forum ?) but I was lying when I made my post (as you will claim).

I eagerly await your argumentative reply.

you do seem to have a little private enemy here...

Hi Guys
Can I also ask  last visit I got an international licence (for a car)here in UK  which of course covered me to drive in Thailand

Mt q to you all is can I simply take a driving (car) test when I go back in February that will cover me for however long it lasts By the way how long does it last and do you know the cost

Thanks all in advance 

Dave

On 09/24/2016 at 9:13 AM, KhruGin said:

Your first Thai license now is a temporary 2 year license

Yep, but it's a right ballache ...I did this year as couldn't convert my paper license from UK ....10 hours and 15 minutes later and done. So if there is an option not to have the life sucked out of you for an entire day then well ....

If you already have a license from the UK stop trying to be a smarty and take the test.

5 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Remember to wear long pants to the DLT office or they will refuse you.

It is a government office.

While I agree that might be a nice touch, I did wear long sleeves and a full jeans when getting the car license on day one, but there were multiple farangs wearing "the uniform" queuing up before me and after me, and nothing ever mattered. Thais weren't dressed festively or anything all the same, certainly no long sleeves. Far too much turnover for any of the employees to give a damn.

3 hours ago, BaldPlumber said:

Really? Didn't know that one.

What about immigration?

To my experience: don't bother about the clothes, do dress neatly, but that is it.

Be polite, hand in full sets of papers and signed/notarized copies as required.

I think nowadays they are more interested in getting things done, i.e. proper application with correct paperwork, than anything else.

Bit like in our countries, talking as a lawyer.

2 wks ago i arrived back in thai and my 5 yr TDL  had expired, i went to the banglamung office and gave the appropriate duplicate paperwork because i have bike and car lic, including HAVING to obtain a Medical certificate and a Residence Cert , I HAD to complete the colour and perception test, i HAD to sit and watch the 1 hr video, after that i was told i can only be issued with a 2 yr lic because this time i had entered on a 60 day tourist visa.  On my previous 5 yr lic i had at that time the old immi O visa, which is not readily issued these days only under certain circumstances.  Thats my Tale :)

On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 1:48 PM, 4MyEgo said:

600 baht vs principal...lol

I learned a while back that there is a game here to be played, after being booked for speeding (400 baht), which I wasn't (speeding), because I had the cruise control on 70 in an 80, that there was no reason for me to allow myself to be so upset because some punk ass cop decides differently, after advising him of the cruise control being on 70, he then said, ok, but you in the wrong lane, pay the fine in the tent which I did.

So I said to myself, I have been fleeced 400 baht, the principal thing is the hard part to let go of, the cash, easy.....was heading to Udon Thani to buy a TV, so I screwed the guy on price by 400 baht, what goes around, comes around :)

Buy yourself a good dash cam and these types off problems disappear. About 6 months ago on my way to Bkk a policeman stopped me at a tollgate and said I went over the speedlimit. I turned the dashcam on him in his full view. I asked him for the proof that I went over the speedlimit, something like a photo of a reading, he said there was none. So I asked him if he wants a bribe with the dashcam on. He waved us on. End of story. 

17 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Buy yourself a good dash cam and these types off problems disappear. About 6 months ago on my way to Bkk a policeman stopped me at a tollgate and said I went over the speedlimit. I turned the dashcam on him in his full view. I asked him for the proof that I went over the speedlimit, something like a photo of a reading, he said there was none. So I asked him if he wants a bribe with the dashcam on. He waved us on. End of story. 

I like your story, oddly enough just yesterday I drove to Sakon Nakhon to stock on my meat, and I went through a red light, as did the car to my right rear side, usual road block a couple of hundred metres down the road, waved us over, and I was prepared to pay the fine, my bad, anyway I said to my wife before she got out of the car to tell them that I couldn't break because the car behind me would have tail gated me, she said they won't care, I said just tell them and see what happens, we don't have anything to lose, so the cop said, hmm, ok we will reduce the fine by 50%, get your husband to sign here and pay, I got out and signed the paperwork and paid the 200 baht, nice cops, still at 400 baht it cheap as chips, because in Sydney, Australia its 11,128 baht and 3 demerit point from 12 demerit point, which take 2 or 3 years to get back.

Seriously. If you haven't passed your test in your home country and can't pass this pathetic excuse for a test in Thailand, then perhaps you should reconsider if you're actually fit to be driving a vehicle on the roads here.

Unbelievable double standards here.

On 24/09/2016 at 9:31 AM, hansomman said:

This is for a bike licence , and I guess its a 1 year because I never had a licence in Thailand before. I'm on an ED visa.

I believe the temporary 1 yr. Licence is now for 2 years, 5 year one comes after that.

I just did the test for the motorcycle on Sept. 14th, and converted my German car license on the same day.

First license is 2 years nowadays, it's referred to as "non-permanent" as opposed to the "permanent" 5-y license.

It's not "temporary", it just expires after that time, like in most countries now, sometimes keyed to the age of the owner. So, in theory, and after residence of at least 183 days in Thailand, you could apply for an international license to drive with that in your country of origin.

Apparently, you can only renew it for the "permanent" 5-y if you are on a non-o visa (B, O, O-A, or the fancy ones), within one year of expiry, or 3 months before expiry at the earliest,

if it was expired for more than a year you have to take that shambolic written test again and pay the 100 Baht for the health certificate at the shady back-alley clinic of you preference.

Initial license expired more than 3 years means you have to go for the whole circus including vision test and show the locals how we reverse-park a car in Europe, but nets you the "permanent" license instead of the initial 2-y one.

Photo taken on September 14th 2016 on the Pattaya Land Transport Authority Thingy premises:

driving_lic.jpg

On 26/09/2016 at 10:23 AM, bramds said:

You only need your original license from your home country and a Thai translation, stamped by your local authorities (from your home country).

They don't accept English licenses anymore.

If it was English, it would be LICENCE!

I was able to show my Ausy driver license in Phuket a few years ago now, and simply paid a small fee for a Thai license, but because I had no motorbike license, I had to do the entire written and practical tests in order to get the bike one.

On 24/09/2016 at 9:29 AM, chiang mai said:

3,000 baht, Jesus wept!

The test is not hard, it's real basic stuff, if you can't pass it you shouldn't be allowed on a bike anyway.

Yes,what she said is true.It is also true she is taking you.Do it yourself.The stall at the office will help you.

2 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

The 3000 baht was not a bribe.It was for a woman to do the paperwork for him.

Why would anyone pay someone 3000b to do the paper work, thats the easiest part of the whole experience.

Saying that when I last renewed I had to go twice as I did not know about the tax ID requirement (for those using work permit instead of residency cert).

I went to the DLT Office in Pattaya with my Canadian Drivers License and got stopped at the door. She told me I had to go to the Canadian Embassy, in Bangkok, to get them to verify that this was indeed a Valid Canadian Driver's License. A Real Hag!

What I did instead was go to a Driver Training School in Pattaya and showed them my Driver's License, which they seemed to understand. They gave me some practice questions and then 30 minutes later I wrote an easy written road test on one of there computers and passed that.

They then gave me the paper work I required to get my License so I went back to DLT, did a couple of eye tests, and got my Thai Drivers License for both car and motor bike the same day. This cost me a few thousand Baht, but far less then a trip to Bangkok plus paying for the verification and translation.