motorbike tax renewal at Big C

mran66

Surprised that the insurance company's where closed on Saturday,  I would have thought the weekend would bring them lots more custom

because of the mini DLT office at Bic C  on the weekend.

@mran66  I might have remembered wrong  but I thought the  mini DLT office at Big C was  only  open 9AM till 12 or 1 PM  Saturday and Sunday  maybe the insurance companies close for half day  on the weekends ???  after the DLT office shut there would be much less customers.

google street view of the test center on Sukumvit that joepattaya1961 mentioned ?

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9242953,100.8981994,3a,75y,259.97h,75.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scpHC32CO46fmiO42yhWHIw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

the one that mran66  went to on South Pattaya road is quite new and doesn't show in google street view yet

( still 2012  images )

Edited by johng
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, johng said:

Surprised that the insurance company's where closed on Saturday,  I would have thought the weekend would bring them lots more custom

because of the mini DLT office at Bic C  on the weekend.

@mran66  I might have remembered wrong  but I thought the  mini DLT office at Big C was  only  open 9AM till 12 or 1 PM  Saturday and Sunday  maybe the insurance companies close for half day  on the weekends ???  after the DLT office shut there would be much less customers.

at least signboards of the insurance co's clearly stated they open Mon-Fri only.

As I was there at about 1.30, can not say whether they open on morning.

I understood from some other post that the "mini DLT" on Sat 9-15 only, not Sun,

but not sure if so. At least until 2pm yesterday they were there.

Edited by mran66

3 hours ago, onemorechang said:

This is all good information,  good job :thumbsup:

But i would not bother trying to do Tax for car or motor bike

on a weekend,     it will always be hit and miss.

do this stuff on a week day to avoid disappointment and an extra trip  :wai2:

...well for those of us who live west of Suk, the trip to DLT is long and big C short and also can shop at same trip...and it is hit and miss also at DLT as sometime they seem to have off-days. Happened to me once, I recall earlier this year when rode there to settle tax of my HD and the place was closed, just a note on the gate. Back home and another trip next day.

What are the pitfalls you thinking of on weekends, please share so that can try avoid?

At least was a breeze for me once got the insurance (which I can buy

on way to Big C now, and even do the inspection if needed)

Edited by mran66

1 hour ago, mran66 said:

...well for those of us who live west of Suk, the trip to DLT is long and big C short and also can shop at same trip...and it is hit and miss also at DLT as sometime they seem to have off-days. Happened to me once, I recall earlier this year when rode there to settle tax of my HD and the place was closed, just a note on the gate. Back home and another trip next day.

What are the pitfalls you thinking of on weekends, please share so that can try avoid?

At least was a breeze for me once got the insurance (which I can buy

on way to Big C now, and even do the inspection if needed)

Sorry you feel that way it was not a criticism.

But good luck with all government office stuff at weekends

20- years tells me,   just go on a week day ,    a much better hit rate. :thumbsup:

and you can still do your shopping.

OK, to answer my own question  I drove past the AA insurance office at 12.30  this Sunday afternoon and they where most definitely closed

shutters down.

My wife also told me that the mini DLT at Big C is only there on Saturdays  and that I'm getting old and senile  for thinking they would be there on Sunday !     :w00t:

So mini DLT at Big C  Saturdays 09-00 till 15-00     AA insurance  Saturday  half day  ???????

2 hours ago, johng said:

OK, to answer my own question  I drove past the AA insurance office at 12.30  this Sunday afternoon and they where most definitely closed

shutters down.

My wife also told me that the mini DLT at Big C is only there on Saturdays  and that I'm getting old and senile  for thinking they would be there on Sunday !     :w00t:

So mini DLT at Big C  Saturdays 09-00 till 15-00     AA insurance  Saturday  half day  ???????

Used to be half day Saturday to 12 I think but unfortunately it is not mentioned on their web site...........

AA insurance now closed Saturday and Sunday..I spoke to one of the employees she said they don't get that many customers on the Saturday and in any case they where making minimal /no profit so better just to close.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, johng said:

AA insurance now closed Saturday and Sunday..I spoke to one of the employees she said they don't get that many customers on the Saturday and in any case they where making minimal /no profit so better just to close.

Week days ,    much better idea.  :jap:

I do mine at the official car/mb test center just beside the highway 7  entrance on Sukumvit, they also do the official noise tests etc so that I can carry the certificate with me if stopped by the cops and they try to say my bike is too loud - which it isn't, passes every year

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smedly said:

I do mine at the official car/mb test center just beside the highway 7  entrance on Sukumvit, they also do the official noise tests etc so that I can carry the certificate with me if stopped by the cops and they try to say my bike is too loud - which it isn't, passes every year

Yes,   i use the same place.  very quick as well. :thumbsup:

As the pages for entering tax payments in the bluebook ( for my wife's car )  are full up and being the ultimate cheap Charlie  I refused the  testing center's offer of 300 baht to do it ( book back by friday ) and  decided go to the DLT next to the Regents school

and apply for a new blue book myself...it was to put it kindly chaos as usual very very busy..they said the blue book would be ready tomorrow after 2PM 

so I should have accepted the very reasonable 300 baht offer

Luckily I dragged my wife along  who had to fill in the application form and supply copy of her ID card    if she hadn't have been there I would have needed a power of attorney form signed by her.. so another trip home and back...what a palaver      :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just a quick up date to inform everyone/anyone interested

that the mini DLT has moved from Big C

and is now on floor G Central Festival the Beach,  beach road side near Mcdonalds

open only Saturdays at 11am when central does and closes at 3pm ( ish)

P_20180609_111343.thumb.jpg.25b926d4dcbecf31288bbe24b65a76a7.jpg

• Like 1

Just a quick up date to inform everyone/anyone interested
that the mini DLT has moved from Big C
and is now on floor G Central Festival the Beach,  beach road side near Mcdonalds
open only Saturdays at 11am when central does and closes at 3pm ( ish)
P_20180609_111343.thumb.jpg.25b926d4dcbecf31288bbe24b65a76a7.jpg
Tax renewal includes the compulsory insurance?

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Tax renewal includes the compulsory insurance?

Yes to get Tax you need insurance first  but you have to get insurance and  if needed  a vehicle safety check-up  somewhere else..they only deal with vehicle Tax at this Mini DLT

So to be a bit clearer

Motorcycles over 3 years old and car/pickups over 7 years old have to go for an annual  "MOT"

or vehicle roadworthiness test at a licenced center displaying this logo, they issue a certificate

post-2109-0-09307200-1357115893.gif

then  you obtain the compulsory government insurance called  "por ror bor"   if you want additional higher class  insurance  "up to you"  with those 2 documents + your green/blue book you can then go get the "Tax disc" if you don't have the documents they will refuse to issue Tax.   they update the  tax paid section of the vehicle book and print a "Tax disc" which you should display on your vehicle.

The vehicle testing centers can do all this running around for you for a small extra fee and a few days waiting....some feel like a little masochism now and again ! ?

PS  at the Big C south Pattaya where the mini DLT used to be there is now a booth selling compulsory government insurance "por ror bor"

the nice lady there told me about DLT the move.

Edited by johng

So to be a bit clearer

Motorcycles over 3 years old and car/pickups over 7 years old have to go for an annual  "MOT"

or vehicle roadworthiness test at a licenced center displaying this logo, they issue a certificate

post-2109-0-09307200-1357115893.gif&key=93e1d6e12bd665014eb76b81b26f6417e7df2ede131d8e8da4ee813f6064f832

then  you obtain the compulsory government insurance called  "por ror bor"   if you want additional higher class  insurance  "up to you"  with those 2 documents + your green/blue book you can then go get the "Tax disc" if you don't have the documents they will refuse to issue Tax.   they update the  tax paid section of the vehicle book and print a "Tax disc" which you should display on your vehicle.

The vehicle testing centers can do all this running around for you for a small extra fee and a few days waiting....some feel like a little masochism now and again ! [emoji1]

So using me as an example i currently have the compulsory insurance + 1st class for my motorbike, when i renew my insurance can my broker renew the compulsory and 1st class the same time? I wasn't sure if somehow the compulsary is tied into the tax purchase

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

when i renew my insurance can my broker renew the compulsory and 1st class the same time?

Yes your broker should be able to do that...its best to have them run concurrently then you wont forget to renew one,  I think you can do the compulsory insurance "online"

never tried it myself...they have always wanted to see the compulsory insurance printout when getting Tax.

So that's where they moved to, Went to Big C south Pattaya last Saturday to renew my tax and only found one empty desk next to the insurance desk, thought maybe they had an 'off' week or something, being the man that I am I didn't think to ask.

Also if your car/bike don't require inspection, you can pay for the road tax online as well as 7-11 and the tax 'disc' for your window sticker is sent in the post.

On 6/9/2018 at 3:52 PM, johng said:

Almost forgot again because I never done it   but apparently you can do  compulsory insurance and tax at 7/11 !!!    Tax disc sent in the post  blue/green book updated god knows how.

the book gets updated next time you went in person, you could also turn up in person without the original book and pay, a photocopy of the book is required of course, many people financing their cars/bike pay this way as the Finance company is holding the book until the car is paid up.

Finance company that holds on to the book will 'offer' to renew the tax for you for a fee of course, but people with free time would like to save a couple hundred bahts will find a way.

So that's where they moved to, Went to Big C south Pattaya last Saturday to renew my tax and only found one empty desk next to the insurance desk, thought maybe they had an 'off' week or something, being the man that I am I didn't think to ask.

Also if your car/bike don't require inspection, you can pay for the road tax online as well as 7-11 and the tax 'disc' for your window sticker is sent in the post.
If paying at 7/11 how do they update the green/blue book ? I'm stating to think the updating tax page in the book is a bit redundant.