Aging Farang retirees in Thailand: Why not get off your bar stools and go back to school!

Inspire

Aging Farang retirees in Thailand: Why not get off your bar stools and go back to school!

Gerry Carter

gerry-main.jpg

Superb initiatives to get the aging Thai population to be more active and productive could be just the ticket for aging foreigners residing in the kingdom.

Many stories about the “Schools for the over 60s” run by the education department have been featured on the Thaivisa news site over the last few months.

The schools are characterized by men and women in their twilight years getting out of their homes and dressing up as they did in uniforms several decades ago. They are encouraged to bicycle to “school” where they line up for the National Anthem at 8am.

Then follow lots of activities to promote good mental health that in turn should lead to good physical condition.

Activities in the school grounds offer a chance to learn new skills such as making handicrafts or learning about aspects of Thai culture. Participants do things like Thai dancing to promote movement of those stiff joints. Courses relating to growing old in Thailand like matters relating to health are organized. And side trips are organized in mini buses to cultural sites so that everyone can join together and make new friends along the way.

In fact it is more than just school – it seems like the perfect answer to make new friends, get out more as well as actually learn something useful.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/aging-farang-retirees-thailand-get-bar-stools-go-back-school/

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...it would seem logical that they would be more than welcome especially if they already had a bit of a knowledge of the Thai language."

Even a halfway serious journalist would have checked first with the Dept of Education to see whether this program aimed at Thai seniors was open to foreigners.

Perhaps you're the one who needs to spend less time sitting on a barstool, Gerry.

Edited by Gecko123

So before you wasted your time writing this article, don't you think you should have taken the time to ask the question of whether or not a foreigner is entitled to participate in this program. Your own words "I for one will look into the possibility of joining such a program though regrettably I will have to wait another five years to join in the fun. I have always had the attitude since moving to Thailand years ago that if you don’t ask you don’t get so I hope to be accepted on the course." So basically you disregarded your own attitude of "if you don't ask you don't get." but decided you write an article about something you can't even answer. Amateur journalist at it finest.

6 minutes ago, Alive said:

If you love Thailand, you will participate in this Thai way. Stop the hypocrisy! get involved and show you are a member of the community, Gramps.

Now YOU do not know what I get up to in Thailand...:stoner:

In Thailand I do not have my fun ride, I do not have my boat, I do not have my workshop...But I do still have some gray cells left to occupy my now free time, and that does not mean sitting at a PC. Yes a different life, and I do have some fun that does not involve a bar stool or chasing young ladies.. 

" The schools are characterized by men and women in their twilight years getting out of their homes and dressing up as they did in uniforms several decades ago. They are encouraged to bicycle to “school” where they line up for the National Anthem at 8am. "

I'd like to say "You gotta be kidding" but been here long enough to know..... Again, we have style over substance.

I do take issue with "Why not get off your bar stools..."... I assume author decided all of us seniors must only spend time based on his walking past expat bars and seeing seniors, ergo all seniors are at bars. Seems he could use a lesson in major premise, minor premise and conclusion.

I spend my time cutting the grass and scrub on 3 or 4 rai, including that of my Thai neighbour who is a widow and looking after her grand daughter, making my own western food, doing an online university course on my PC.

My nearest bar stool is some 15 or more km away and I don't drink that much anyway.

In short I don't have the time to play the silly games that the OP is writing about and he doesn't even do them himself. I suppose that he is still stuck on HIS bar stool.

4 hours ago, ldiablo72 said:

So before you wasted your time writing this article, don't you think you should have taken the time to ask the question of whether or not a foreigner is entitled to participate in this program. Your own words "I for one will look into the possibility of joining such a program though regrettably I will have to wait another five years to join in the fun. I have always had the attitude since moving to Thailand years ago that if you don’t ask you don’t get so I hope to be accepted on the course." So basically you disregarded your own attitude of "if you don't ask you don't get." but decided you write an article about something you can't even answer. Amateur journalist at it finest.

We're all amateurs here mate.   Not allowed to work.   Trying being a bit more positive before shooting down a perfectly good idea.

Something along the lines of UTA3 (University of the Third age) would go well.   

For what?

School teaches students how to work for someone else.

Most would not qualify for a work permit and those with retirement status can't work, nor can they legally do charity work.  They aren't even allowed to do generate money via the Internet unless taxes are automatically withheld.

Besides, your time is more flexible being a bar fly and you have a higher class of friends. :partytime2::cheesy:

Many self made millionaires and billionaires dropped out of school and started a small business off the kitchen table.  Playboy was started with $500.

Many ladies worldwide met their wealthy husbands in bars and now  travel by private jet and cruise in ocean yachts. 

Many seniors coming off a bar stool could not fit in a classroom chair.

Are bar stools allowed in the classroom?

Do men have to pay school fines for short time?

Edited by Kabula
Added word

8 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Wow Op, I don't think I have been so insulted.

I kind of feel the same. It strikes me this is 'same-ol same-ol profiling' rubbish about what (s)expats get up to in Thailand, with the addition of some infantile un-informed crud about what we might do to fill up aaaaaallllll that spare time we have when we finally get tired of monging.

I thought the idea of retiring to Thialand(or any country for that matter) was that i didnt have to listen to twerps telling me what i should be doing.It's funny how many people on TV,some how love to make every body aware that they do not chase bar girls,visit bars,or massage parlours.There are far more holier than thou places you could have retired to.And dont say 'its the weather'There are places with better weather and no sex industry.I retired here because of the night life and the 'wild west' atmosphere.I had 10 great years doing what i wanted(and that didnt include going back to school) after that,i met and married a good woman and now i live happily in the North.Age is a number,i do not consider my self old.My reflection may show age,but my nether regions tell me the opposite,why should i go back to school and learn what?'

How ludicrous some posts are.:dry:

Well ever since graduating from Gr. 10 I have been studying full time at the School Of Life. It has taught me more than all the halls of higher learning ever could. My present young g/f has taught me that not all young women are airheads, money grabbers vixens of want. If I were to count all the good people I have met in my life on the five fingers of one hand she would definitely occupy one. She has brought me much joy over the last 5 years. Someday I will get my diploma when they roll me into the cremation flames. Tis a fitting end to a long life that will sadly never be repeated in this mad mad world. 

Just now, Johnniey said:

How offensive to pensioners in Thailand!

I wonder if Gerry has the integrity to apologize?

Correct....

OP has no idea how I ended up here, probably call me a liar anyhoooo. What pisses me off is topics like this aimed at an age group.