I recently arrived in Thailand on a tourist visa on my departure card is stamped 15 th October 2016 giving me a 30 day visa , I read somewhere that the 30 day visa automatically extends to a 60 day visa with no need to go to a Imigrati

It appears that you arrived without a visa and entered under the Visa Exempt Scheme.

• Your permission to stay for 30 days is not automatically extended.
  • You can apply for a 30 day extension of stay at a local immigration office that costs 1,900 baht.

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Tourist Visas are valid for 60 days .

Whatever it says on your passport is the date you either have to leave Thailand or you have to get a visa extension at immigration .

No Visas are automatically extended 

Nor are visas extended, only your permission to stay is.(That is why it is called an "extension of stay" not a "visa extension").

Edited by muzmurray
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Nor are visas extended, only your permission to stay is.(That is why it is called an "extension of stay" not a "visa extension").

Thanks, its extremely important to point that out , The Visa itself isnt extended, just the date on the Visa is extended .

Thanks for stopping any confusion on this matter

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Thanks, its extremely important to point that out , The Visa itself isnt extended, just the date on the Visa is extended .

Thanks for stopping any confusion on this matter

There is no date on a visa that can be extended. Only the admitted until date on the entry stamp that immigration does on arrival  can be extended.

Not true.

You can however get another 30 day stay (extension) on that visa exempt entry at Bangkok immigration in Chaeng Wattana for a 1900 baht fee.

You will need to copy your fist page of your passport ( the I.D. /picture) and your arrival entrance stamp from your passport.

You will also need a photo for the application form.

All the copying and the photos can be done down on the first (ground) floor at the copy shop.

You will have to get a queue number upstairs and then wait until your number is called .

They may aldo give you a Foriegn National Information Form to fill out whilr you are waiting for youe queue number to be called.

I have done it a number of times.

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I must go down to the CM Immigration office to inform them that their sign is incorrect

imageshhghg.jpg

You should do that since it is wrong. I think immigration does that because so many people incorrectly call everything a visa.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You should do that since it is wrong. I think immigration does that because so many people incorrectly call everything a visa.

Although the terminology maybe incorrect, when people state " Visa extension" it is generally  understood what is meant by that term .

IMO the term  "Visa extension" should be accepted in lieu of the term " permission to stay" 

Everyone is fully aware what a person means when they say "Visa extension" . so much so, that it has become the accepted phrase for referring to getting an extension of stay

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although the terminology maybe incorrect, when people state " Visa extension" it is generally  understood what is meant by that term .

IMO the term  "Visa extension" should be accepted in lieu of the term " permission to stay" 

Everyone is fully aware what a person means when they say "Visa extension" . so much so, that it has become the accepted phrase for referring to getting an extension of stay

yes, mate, you are fully right. but a lot of posters here on tv gain their reputation from being 'precise' - and rightfully so.

we all know that calling 'chuck up' or 'vomit' can be defined as 'the involuntary expelling of undigested food through our facial orifices..., but in the end sticking to established terms does eliminate miss - understandings.

you have come here for advice - just take it, ok?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You wrote this which was what I was originally replying to.

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

The Visa itself isnt extended, just the date on the Visa is extended .

You appeared to be calling the entry stamp a visa.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

I agree that the majority of people use the wrong terms and that it's generally understood. But if you follow this forum long enough you will see that when someone asks a question about extending their visa they are not always asking about an extension of stay and vice versa.

IMO if you are giving advice on a forum like this you should use the right terminology otherwise it can lead to the wrong advice. Advice given about visas is entirely different to advice about extending permission to stay.

p.s. Here is a perfect example of how confusing it can get: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/945404-can-i-apply-for-non-o-2-weeks-before-current-one-expires/

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

Yes your stay can be extended automatically after 30 days for 500 baht a day and after 40 days (20,000 Baht) it is even free. However, using this automatic extension is considered illegal in Thailand and can result in prison time and a ban on visiting Thailand another time.

You can also fly to another country, and fly back to get another 30 days. Getting a 30 day extension requires a trip to the immigration office and cost you at least half day waiting till your number is called. As a tourist it should not be a problem to spend some days in Penang or Bali with a cheap Air Asia ticket to get there.

I always get a tourist visa if I intend to stay longer as 30 days. About the same price as the extension but the travel and time spend at the local Thai consulate is for me less as the travel and time at the Thai immigration office. But if you live more as 2 hour travel time from a Thai consulate you can opt for the extension in Thailand. 

5 minutes ago, zeth77 said:

on the same topic , is it possible to change my visa to a different visa that allows me to stay for a longer period of time in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You could go to a nearby embassy or consulate and get a single entry tourist visa.

It is not possible to obtain a visa within the country unless you qualify for a long term extension of stay after applying for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry.

9 minutes ago, zeth77 said:

on the same topic , is it possible to change my visa to a different visa that allows me to stay for a longer period of time in Thailand.

Visas do not allow you to stay in Thailand , the permission to stay stamp allows you to stay in Thailand 

I rephrase my question concerning the visa exempt entry that I arrived on in Thailand. Is it possible to change that visa to a one year multiple entry visa ,and if so what is the procedure.
members advice is much appreciated.

8 minutes ago, zeth77 said:

I rephrase my question concerning the visa exempt entry that I arrived on in Thailand. Is it possible to change that visa to a one year multiple entry visa ,and if so what is the procedure.
members advice is much appreciated.

On what basis would you qualify for the visa. Working, teaching, retirement, marriage to a Thai, being the parent of a Thai and etc can be a reason for getting getting a multiple entry non immigrant visa at an embassy or consulate. You could also apply for a extension of stay at  immigration and apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry to get one.

There is a multiple entry tourist visa that you could apply for in your home country.

29 minutes ago, zeth77 said:

I am retired

If you are 50 or over you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

If you qualify for it you could apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at some immigration offices up to the last 15 days of your entry or the 30 day extension of it. The 800k baht would only need to be in the bank on the date you apply for the visa. Then during the last 30 day of the 90 day entry you could apply for the extension.

1 minute ago, zeth77 said:

are you saying that after i have been granted the retirement visa i could remove the 800k baht .?

You could take money out after you get the one year extension of stay (it is not a visa). There is no requirement to keep the money in the bank for the entire year. You would just need to put it back in the bank 3 months before you apply for the next extension (only the first one is 2 months).

On 9/28/2016 at 2:45 PM, sanemax said:

The term "visa extension" has led to problems in the past, because people (understandably) believe an extended visa can be used to re-enter the country.

Correctly using the terms "visa", "extension of permission to stay", "admitted until" date, "re-entry permit", and "enter before" date (explaining what these all mean when people find it unclear) saves confusion and errors.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can the application for extension of stay and the application for a 90 day non immigrant visa be applied for in Chaing mai , or would I need to go to Bangkok.
Members advice much appreciated.

3 minutes ago, zeth77 said:

Can the application for extension of stay and the application for a 90 day non immigrant visa be applied for in Chaing mai , or would I need to go to Bangkok.
Members advice much appreciated.

On what basis would you be applying for them.

The extension can be done in Chiang Mai. But not all conversions to  get a non immigrant visa entry can be done.