Use the Pink ID card to give foreign residents Thai prices

Sir Bogdiver

A major irritant for foreign expats, residents and pensioners is the double pricing system.  We find it unacceptable that we typically have to pay 10 times the Thai price for national parks, do not get the over 65 discount on the Skytrain, plus all the other instances where we pay double or more while we are paying taxes and investing large amounts of money in Thailand. I for one have ceased visiting any national park and I know many feel the same way.  This is a main reason why resident expats get so irritated over the years that many in the end decide to leave the country for good.  This cannot be to the advantage of Thailand.  The main justification given is that it is difficult to instantly differentiate between tourists and legitimate residents.  Now there is finally a solution that is effective.  For a while now foreign residents can get a pink ID card at the Amphur (District Office) as long as they can fulfill certain criteria, like a work permit, permanent residency or registration on a Tambien Ban, all of which show residency in Thailand.  This can be used to officially grant residents the right to pay Thai prices at all the national parks etc.

• Like 2

Producing a thai drivers licence is often enough.

I thought the pricing difference was because the person was not Thai irrespective of where the person resided. Like many things here, it probably depends on where you are and who is managing the facility.

• Like 1

The OP seem to be a spokesman for quite a number of people....whatever happened to the principle "Speak for yourself only" . From reading many posts on this Forum, not all are of the same frame of mind as himself. (I will agree that many do, but that does not give one the right to speak on their behalf without their permission).

• Like 2

The Pink ID has not prevented vendors from charging me higher non-Thai prices for most purchases outside my local Mooban where I am well known. In fact, my wife and Thai friends have been charged a higher price if the vendor associates me with them. They usually ask me to wait out of sight during negotiations or purchases to prevent the inevitable higher price. Just part of the free market in Thailand and I do not let it bother me.

• Like 1

Look at it on the other way: you pay normal price and Thai get discount... and you will live better.

Anyway, even if the prices are double for Farangs, it's cheaper than in our home countries. And one of the many reasons why we are here is cheap living, isn't it ?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Hedghog said:

So those that want one can get one.

No problem then.

I personally don't want an I'D card thank you.

From what you mention it wouldn't benefit me in any way.

Then that is your choice. What the op is saying is if you have one or want to get one. If you don't no problem. Personaly I have one never got a reduced price to get in anywhere exept pattaya floating market and I think the till girl just couldn't be bothered to argue then.

I have no problem paying a higher price than the nationals do happens a lot all over the world Gibraltar residents get lower price entry into there caves/attractions 

Edited by Deepinthailand

Has it occurred to you that the practice is simply a form of institutionalised begging endorsed by the authorities? It would not occur to many ordinary Thais who are too proud to demean themselves in this way. In a country where 'face' is so important I'm surprised the citizenry permit this insult to be imposed on their self-esteem.

OK then so Laos is double standards as well then Thais get over border for 59 to 100 bht farang 1500bht.  

Stop all dual pricing from tomorow all beer in bars will be 150 per bottle no ladies drink prices now great.

No more paying for anyone at any park/exibit/museum great free at last. Who oops closed down due to lack of funding but hey never mind farang didn't get ripped off.

Get real people stop worrying about a few bht. Try to enjoy your stay here because guess what no one forced you to come here you came of your own free will.

Edited by Deepinthailand
  • Like 2

I gladly pay my farang-fee, even I'm expat with tabien ban, to National Parks, Grand Palace etc. – because I'm an alien and I can afford the fees, which are small money compared to my home-country expenses, and help keeping the parks and temples and whatever in fair condition, and providing free entrance for nationals that cannot afford to pay...

I always check price first, and if I think the price is too high and I'm being overcharged, I don't buy or stay away – nobody force me to buy or walk in – sometime one just have to "cool down" for moment in this hot climate and compare to "prices at home"; then I pay my entrance and happily walk inside with a big smile...:smile:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Then that is your choice. What the op is saying is if you have one or want to get one. If you don't no problem. Personaly I have one never got a reduced price to get in anywhere exept pattaya floating market and I think the till girl just couldn't be bothered to argue then.

I have no problem paying a higher price than the nationals do happens a lot all over the world Gibraltar residents get lower price entry into there caves/attractions 

So why did you get one?

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

So why did you get one?

Because I was called by god to go to Amphoe and get the pink one. Or was it a dog who said I've had a pink one. 

But in reality I wanted a yellow book so I don't have to go begging immigration for a cert of residence. Now when I went to collect said yellow book from Amphoe the guy who dealt with it for me also took me to the ID card counter and explained I could have one it took an extra 10 mins and I had one does that satisfy your curiosity (nosey aren't you).

13 hours ago, Naroge said:

It is NOT correct that the Farang ID card give you Thai prices. Thai prices are for Thai citizens, which is not the same as Thailand residents.

As this Farang ID card is very new and not many people (Thai and Farangs alike) know about it, it does however happen that you might be treated like a Thai citizen (by mistake) by showing it. This is however not a legal right.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

The real point is that there should be no double pricing in Thailand. If Thais were charged more when visiting tourist attractions abroad, how welcome would they feel?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

I gladly pay my farang-fee, even I'm expat with tabien ban, to National Parks, Grand Palace etc. – because I'm an alien and I can afford the fees, which are small money compared to my home-country expenses, and help keeping the parks and temples and whatever in fair condition, and providing free entrance for nationals that cannot afford to pay...

I always check price first, and if I think the price is too high and I'm being overcharged, I don't buy or stay away – nobody force me to buy or walk in – sometime one just have to "cool down" for moment in this hot climate and compare to "prices at home"; then I pay my entrance and happily walk inside with a big smile...:smile:

Ok. So how about monied Thais who are richer than you? The whole concept is wrong and should be boycotted by foreign tourists. Yet another reason why Thailand doesn't deserve a tourist industry. Westerners (I won't use the "f" word) who think this is ok would be the first to cry "racist" if it was practised in their own countries.

16 hours ago, dotpoom said:

The OP seem to be a spokesman for quite a number of people....whatever happened to the principle "Speak for yourself only" . From reading many posts on this Forum, not all are of the same frame of mind as himself. (I will agree that many do, but that does not give one the right to speak on their behalf without their permission).

yes I like the part "This is a main reason why resident expats get so irritated over the years that many in the end decide to leave the country for good."

Really?? So expats leave Thailand to live elsewhere over 200B entry fee at a park? Who would have guessed.

Maybe this should be increased so more will leave.  

• Like 2

There are plenty of Thais that earn more than me.  If I go somewhere and they pull the dual pricing on me then it wouldn't be the first time that I've sat outside and let them get on with it.  They don't stay inside long if you're not there anyhow (who pays for the ice cream or drinks for them?).

Do you agree that wealthy people should pay less tax?  Whether you do or do not, what's the score on this scenario?

1 hour ago, teacherpaul said:

The real point is that there should be no double pricing in Thailand. If Thais were charged more when visiting tourist attractions abroad, how welcome would they feel?

You do realize allot of entertainment venues in the USA have double pricing.  Many offers discounts to local residents.  Also any Thai that goes overseas

typically is not worried about money. 

• Like 2

Hi ,

I am interested to get one  Pink ID card 

I am retired in South Pattaya since several years now

Can somone help me  :  what to do, where to go and what documents are needed and how much I will have to pay to get one

Thanks to all for your help

cheers

On 30/09/2016 at 11:56 PM, teacherpaul said:

Yes, there should not be double pricing, but there is. And some other countries abroad has the same, which has been discussed here at length before. I don't like it either, but have decided to accept it and have peace of mind. Others might decide the other way, and hopefully have peace of mind as well.

• Like 1

Frankly, the pink card hasn't worked any better than a driving licence for me when asking for the Thai price. Most recently, Dusit Zoo wouldn't accept it.

It doesn't even work reliably for opening bank accounts. Some banks/branches insist on seeing your tabien baan, others accept the card. But since the pink card doesn't have your name in English, the bank will usually ask to see your passport too.

Next I want to try the pink card with motorbike rental companies.

On 30/09/2016 at 9:40 AM, Naroge said:

It is NOT correct that the Farang ID card give you Thai prices. Thai prices are for Thai citizens, which is not the same as Thailand residents.

As this Farang ID card is very new and not many people (Thai and Farangs alike) know about it, it does however happen that you might be treated like a Thai citizen (by mistake) by showing it. This is however not a legal right.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

A slight misunderstanding - Thai prices are not necessarily Thai prices

There is no or very little distribution of wealth in the Thai political system and different pricing is a way to even things out. Rich Thai's also pay more than poor Thai's sometimes. A Thai seller who knows you and knows that you are poor will not give you a "farang" price but he may very well charge the rich Thai Chinese more

Westerners are automatically thought of as rich - yes absolutely.  It happens more often to westerners - yes absolutely

The two price system that often official places like Wat Phra Kaew, national parks etc. have is a shame, there is no excuse for it . But it is not the whole story

2 hours ago, orientalist said:

It doesn't even work reliably for opening bank accounts. Some banks/branches insist on seeing your tabien baan, others accept the card. But since the pink card doesn't have your name in English, the bank will usually ask to see your passport too.

That's because a foreigner is a foreigner and must identify himself with a passport unless he is a permanent resident... 

A permanent resident has the right to open up a bank account based on Thai information, a foreigner with a pink ID card does not

Banks accept your pink ID card together with your blue tabien baan