What do Americans think of Poms?

upside

8 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

...the affinity of the oppressed, probably...

So you'd feel far happier in the USA if you could spend all your life with, say, a dirt-poor black family in Alabama or a native American family in a reservation somewhere, rather than with white and affluent Americans similar to yourself, would you?

After all, they don't come much more oppressed than that do they? 

And if "oppression" is your criterion for feeling affinity, why wouldn't you feel that for a working-class English family in, say, Lancashire whose ancestors were probably every bit as oppressed as you seem to think your Scottish & Irish mates were.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, pigeonjake said:

this make me laugh so much, civilized country like ours,,lol

you dont have any history, in england the brits were doing engineering wonders when you daft sods were still chasing indians about on horse back,,lol

hows the  bridge you daft sods  bought ?

and as for helping in the war, you joied when it was just about over,

its not like in all the movies you lot make, look at us we won the war single handed,lol

the last time i was in a bar was when i was working inbetween rayong and pattaya and i lodged in pattaya and that was over 2 years ago, see we dont all sit in a bar looking hard as you put it,

i mean lets get this right, most ham shanks have allways got 2 of what anyone else has on of, and if they havnt got 2 they have one twice as big,

its allways the same, ours is bigger,ours is better, we did this we did that,

give me good old brit humor and craic over boasting ham shanks anyday

Good on ya, you won't be missed. 

You clearly missed the humor in my post, but it does come from a place of truth, judging by your reply. You missed my Disclaimer as well. Again - get over it 

Good thing we joined the war when we did. You would likely be German right now. Movies are entertainment dude we have the capacity to realize this. 

The history of Britain is long, thats true, but there are some very, very diabolical times in it, so get off your throne. We decided we didn't like how you guys ran the show in 1775 and acted accordingly. Since then, we been getting bigger and stronger and wealthier and you guys been getting smaller and more insignificant. 

Get all huffy and annoyed by my post all you want. Changes nothing. Its obvious that you are the type that walks into a conversation with an American with a majorly over opinionated pre-disposition, so take your "tea" your "pub" and your "history" and beat it. 

14 minutes ago, pigeonjake said:

prime example,,lol

bigger stronger,,

Its the truth, you just don't like hearing about it. Funnily enough, you don't even try to discredit anything else I said. Just pick on that one statement brought up to show your insignificance. 

Again, we typically don't walk in with prejudice, but a lot of you guys do, and makes you a miserable bunch. And then when things are stated on your level, you get annoyed like we should somehow believe you are better than us or that you deserve more respect than another person, or that we should show gratitude. Yeah..... No.

Get off your pedestal   

I find generalizations based on nationality or race quite displeasing and when conversation takes a turn in that direction I try to change the subject but if I can't I make excuses and leave.  I don't understand why people find it necessary to start giving negative opinions on my country of birth within minutes of meeting.

ill admit, britain if buggerd, that still dosnt make us all misserable old gits, im allways good for a laugh and can take banter just as well as give it,

been a contractor in the oil and gas business all my life ive mixed with all kinds, lived out of a suitcase for years, yes im in scotland at the minute on an old oil refinery running the night shift, flight booked to come home end of the month,

but ive been told today things could change,,lol, the life of a contractor,

ive got nothing against any race of people ive met good and bad in all,

i dont see what you see as i dont go in the bars,

take it easy,

and f££k you im staying on my pedestal,,lol

Just now, villagefarang said:

I find generalizations based on nationality or race quite displeasing and when conversation takes a turn in that direction I try to change the subject but if I can't I make excuses and leave.  I don't understand why people find it necessary to start giving negative opinions on my country of birth within minutes of meeting.

Exactly. 

I tried it the other way a few times, as soon as I meet a "Brit" I start giving negative opinions and you should see how red their faces get. But its perfectly fine for them to do it. In their mind anyway. 

I avoid places like this cause I got a sharp tongue. I usually leave as well. 

One of my pet peeves is people making very personal and insulting comments and then tagging on a disclaimer after the fact like, 'nothing personal' or 'just having a bit of a laugh'.  If you then take exception to those rude remarks, you are the one who has a problem, not the person who insulted you and they get very upset.

3 minutes ago, pigeonjake said:

ill admit, britain if buggerd, that still dosnt make us all misserable old gits, im allways good for a laugh and can take banter just as well as give it,

been a contractor in the oil and gas business all my life ive mixed with all kinds, lived out of a suitcase for years, yes im in scotland at the minute on an old oil refinery running the night shift, flight booked to come home end of the month,

but ive been told today things could change,,lol, the life of a contractor,

ive got nothing against any race of people ive met good and bad in all,

i dont see what you see as i dont go in the bars,

take it easy,

and f££k you im staying on my pedestal,,lol

I know you guys are not all miserable old gits. Some of the nicest guys I ever met were Brits, and I got a couple buddies that come to the states and visit whenever I'm there and have a great time. Its just a generalization that gets old. Real old REAL fast. 

lol stay on the pedestal if you want, just don't get angry when you get knocked off it 

17 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

Another gem:

"Haha you Americans need thicker skin haha" After being flatly insulted 5 minutes into a conversation because I'm American. 

Yeah... Yeah, you keep that up buddy. 

I bear no malice against any nationality unless someone affects me personally, of course that excludes the shit who are killing for nothing..

But, as an English bloke I have had more hassle with UK chaps than anyone else in LOS, so l don't mix much knower days, my music never argues or talks problems..:stoner:

2 minutes ago, pigeonjake said:

trans, im the same,

the pigs never argue,

I'm off to the gym in a mo....On my OWN, bliss, just me and a few Thai lads will be there....:thumbsup:

Few years back I was in the gym and a Scots bloke said to me....

"You don't have to shows you can shift a lot of weight"...........:blink:....I replied...

" I don't give a feeeerk what you think, my battle is with myself, not you "...:rolleyes:

It's that type of shit I do not understand......:sad:

As another English bloke, my life experience means I've made it a lifelong policy never to tell someone what I think of them unless we're very good friends.

I don't care where you might come from - if you're polite and considerate, as am I in my own quiet way, then you're fine in my book. If you're loud, opinionated, rude or brash then I'll be off and won't bother you with my presence ever again.

I keep myself to myself and always have, always will. Often, I've found that people don't like those of us who are happy with our own company. I've been ridiculed because I don't like groups and crowds. OK by me if people don't like that aspect of my personality - I often don't like their loudness but I keep that opinion to myself.  

If someone insults my country, I walk away - even if that insult consists of a proudly-displayed photo of my (former) 'friend' - a Scot - here in Thailand sitting in front of a Union Flag emblazoned with the slogan "Anyone But England --- CVNTS", presumably referring to some ridiculous football tournament. 

Americans? No problem. I've been to USA many times for work and have enjoyed it for the short periods of time involved. As for Americans in Thailand - I don't know any but I suppose they're the same as the (generally) acceptable people I met on their home turf.

43 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

Ironically, considering all the history, I never get such from the Germans, who--generally, of course--have far better manners, seem far more intelligent, and speak better English than the Brits. German guy in my building has been most helpful at times, quite friendly. Yeah, among the expats, I'll take a German or Scandinavian any day. I can well see how it is that the Mini, Rolls Royce, and Bentley now belong to BMW. :)

18 hours ago, transam said:

Think I had around 700hp many years back now...Bit of N2O.......1976 two ton dinosaur TA on street tyres 11.5 @ 121mph, sadly my venture for the 10's came to an end....:sad:

@121 is good. Better tires and that 11.5 would come down nicely. 

The engine kit in the pic went into the car in my Avi. Drive it on the street with 93 octane, and with nitrous on 116 octane. 

It does high 9's without a cage or any real safety equipment lol the local tracks won't let me run it anymore. 

In the avi, its at the dyno getting a tune up for 116 octane. 

You should get back into it. Tech is so much better today. 

35 minutes ago, Strange said:

Im sure we can all agree that ragging on the French is real fun though.  :smile:

yep the french and italians, well not all of them,

only race to get sunburn on the arm pits during the war, pmsl

1 hour ago, Strange said:

@121 is good. Better tires and that 11.5 would come down nicely. 

The engine kit in the pic went into the car in my Avi. Drive it on the street with 93 octane, and with nitrous on 116 octane. 

It does high 9's without a cage or any real safety equipment lol the local tracks won't let me run it anymore. 

In the avi, its at the dyno getting a tune up for 116 octane. 

You should get back into it. Tech is so much better today. 

engine99.jpg

Sadly my hot rodding days are over for me, just my memories after dealing with shit back home and losing everything, even my fun ride after 22 years...At the time I was still figuring out my N2O controller. I made the N2O system myself, as you can see in the photo. Poly-V belt pulley's were made/machined by me too to stop throwing...Sure do miss it....:sad:Trans45.jpg

14 minutes ago, transam said:

engine99.jpg

Sadly my hot rodding days are over for me, just my memories after dealing with shit back home and losing everything, even my fun ride after 22 years...At the time I was still figuring out my N2O controller. I made the N2O system myself, as you can see in the photo. Poly-V belt pulley's were made/machined by me too to stop throwing...Sure do miss it....:sad:Trans45.jpg

See - English guy - 

Knew what he was doing!!!

4 hours ago, villagefarang said:

Coming from the UK i quite like this thread as it gives a good insight as to how Brits are viewed and i can understand and empathise with most of the negative points made against Brits. Generalisations are exactly that but there is often a significant element of truth in them,  Brits certainly do enjoy a good moan!  

I think people are often testing each other when they first meet and added to that i know there is a lot of resentment against the way America (not the individual people) has played its role in the World in recent years. Therefore if i meet an American i am interested to know whether they can understand that resentment and what their views on the subject are. Unless there is a significant level of hostility (when i agree it is time to get up and leave) why not embrace criticism and if you disagree argue the point well instead of changing the subject. Life isn't all a bed of roses. Isn't walking away from a difficult subject a bit Thai?

3 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Ironically, considering all the history, I never get such from the Germans, who--generally, of course--have far better manners, seem far more intelligent, and speak better English than the Brits. German guy in my building has been most helpful at times, quite friendly. Yeah, among the expats, I'll take a German or Scandinavian any day. I can well see how it is that the Mini, Rolls Royce, and Bentley now belong to BMW. :)

How strange i would take the person / people i got on with best. Don't care a damn about their Nationality. However i do agree that a lot of German, Dutch and Scandinavian speak better English than us Brits 

27 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

Coming from the UK i quite like this thread as it gives a good insight as to how Brits are viewed and i can understand and empathise with most of the negative points made against Brits. Generalisations are exactly that but there is often a significant element of truth in them,  Brits certainly do enjoy a good moan!  

I think people are often testing each other when they first meet and added to that i know there is a lot of resentment against the way America (not the individual people) has played its role in the World in recent years. Therefore if i meet an American i am interested to know whether they can understand that resentment and what their views on the subject are. Unless there is a significant level of hostility (when i agree it is time to get up and leave) why not embrace criticism and if you disagree argue the point well instead of changing the subject. Life isn't all a bed of roses. Isn't walking away from a difficult subject a bit Thai?

If you want to waste your time talking with rude obnoxious people that's entirely up to you.  Since when is life not a bed of roses? 

:tongue:

Are you saying someone giving a negative opinion of the US is rude and obnoxious or are you saying that most Brits are rude and obnoxious or what are you saying?  Life is generally a 'bed of roses' for me fortunately, but it isn't for all of us !

Archived