What do Americans think of Poms?

upside

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Testacall said:

Can somebody explain to me ...who is the POM? ..I understand the  prisoner of mother England analogy ...but all the time I here Aussies calling english POMS and also the other way round ..for heavens sake ...Who is a POM ? Brit or Aussie ? 

I was wondering the same.....

Yep, whinging poms (Or Limey). Winge, winge, and more winge, with a bunch of pseudo like-a-sir "Civility" thrown in there. 

Typically seen in bars, wasting away, complaining about america and comparing their "Civilized" country or ours. 

Can also be seen walking with a funny posture trying to look "hard" and typically have an uncomfortable grimace on their face. 

Should be kept at a distance due to the sour demeanor being contagious. 

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

What do Americans think of POMS?

I would guess that 99.99% have no idea what a POM is... and most who would venture a guess would come up with Pomeranians..

hurrrr durrrr 

6 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

What do Americans think of POMS?

I would guess that 99.99% have no idea what a POM is... and most who would venture a guess would come up with Pomeranians..

I would guess without google to aid you that you wouldn't know what the origin of Pomeranian is. 

Americans don't think much about Brits. But they think about Brits a lot more than Canadians (which they don't think about at all). 

To add, I don't particulary associate with tutsi's remarks but he's quite an amusing fellow POTY winner. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Americans don't think much about Brits. But they think about Brits a lot more than Canadians (which they don't think about at all). 

That' s right we are too stupid.  That is why we need obamacare and a minimum wage to make sure the dumbest of the dumb can survive.

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://time.com/3198225/britain-poorest-state/&ved=0ahUKEwi98L_b2MTPAhUJO48KHYE9CMoQFggfMAI&usg=AFQjCNEa7OZloWaNdDAKmV2JEs4KE9z5Xw&sig2=9GZG4YC2tIHQ4Bp3gj3xgw

By and large I don't believe Americans think much about England....

There's really no significant product or import that comes to the US that would help to make anything English or from England a relatable household experience or contribution.....Most of the news from England that is heard from is usually when something bad happens....Or royalty is visiting.....

And, if in the US meeting, hearing someone with a British accent is a pretty rare occurance.....

Other than goverments agreeing or disagreeing we really don't hear or think to much about them.....

Really more vocal & concentated here on TVF than real life experience....

the biggie fer the brits is not that the americans distain them...americans simply don't think about the brits at all...hence the resentment...

'hey! I'se just as big and bad as youse is an' youse gots to respec' me!!!'

(yawn)

'let's go surfin' now, ev'ry boddies learnin' how, come on a safari wid meeeee!'

(can anyone imagine a miserable and treacherous and very british Allan Rickman singin' that song?...I think not...)

(I love national stereotypes, don't you?)

11 hours ago, upside said:

Noble tradition of cheeseburgers more like. 

hey...didn't I see youse somewhere before?

I made the comment elevating cheeseburgers on TVF over 10 years ago...

but, not to complain too much...the wholesome traditions of Sunday lunch, sausages and mash and a good pint of bitter from a Burton on Trent brewery remain with me still...and I fondly remember the glorious east midlands late afternoon winter light in the courtyard of the CAMRA tavern by the railway in Derby...

I would imagine the average English gentleman would have no concern about what the average yank thinks. Surely when one watches the circus one has little concern for what the clowns may be thinking. One would be probably more concerned about which village had misplaced an idiot.

As an English chap I have been to the states many times and have always been welcomed wherever I went, in fact I would say the no.1 place I have been to for easy friendship..

Pom, short for pomegranate, seems Brits who were taken or went to Aus looked like one after a few days in the sun...:smile:

I love sweeping statements like this.  Well a recent article stated many things.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11340482/What-do-Americans-really-think-its-like-in-Britain.html

With names like Randy, Chuck, BillyBob, TJ, JF, BJ, Fanny and every other person Junior or a name with the second or third after. I cant really take anything serious.

Honestly, for the most part, most of us don't think anything about Brits nor hold any prejudice at all. Its only when exposed to them that they reveal themselves as judgmental, over opinionated experts in everything. The only ones I have met that were humble were the younger, traveled ones. UK is small, and they don't even realize how isolated they are and the only exposure the get outside of little England or "Europe" is the "News". Im not saying the general population of the USA is any different, but we don't typically hold prejudice toward the UK are genuinely curios and friendly. So during a conversation they like to throw insults or dismiss based on our country, then when we retort back on their level, they say we don't have "Thick Skin" and get wounded. 

99% of the "Limeys" that I have met or work with offshore have never been to the states and say some of the wildest sh*t about the states, and I just shake my head. 

I wish I could take some of these guys over to my spot in Florida when Im there for a weekend. Be willing to bet they would have more fun & excitement (legally) than in their home country (cheaper too) on a weekend and would see people would be genuinely interested in knowing about them. 

Disclaimer: I am generalizing. Get over it. 

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I love sweeping statements like this.  Well a recent article stated many things.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11340482/What-do-Americans-really-think-its-like-in-Britain.html

With names like Randy, Chuck, BillyBob, TJ, JF, BJ, Fanny and every other person Junior or a name with the second or third after. I cant really take anything serious.

yeah...TS Eliot was hilarious...

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

"What americans really think its like in Britain"

Source - "co.uk" 

7:05AM GMT 13 Jan 2015
Comments

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toby_Young

Toby Young (born 17 October 1963) is a British journalist

So yeah, I'm sure he is a good source on what americans think of Britain or what its like there. 

Archived