ID card for permanent residents

Any PR holders have any news about ID cards. I would like to get one to carry around instead of my alien registration book which is quite large and falling to pieces. Fortunately my Thai driving licence is for life and I've had it for over 30 years and can use it for a lot of things. But sometimes the hotels will not accept it, so I have to use my alien registration book. I also have my own blue tambien baan and my alien book is all up to date. Since I haven't left Thailand for many years and I don't intend to do so' I no longer need a passport. Please note I'm not talking about the card issued to yellow book holders.

I believe the only way to get a 'real' Thai Id card is citizenship.

I have PR and have got one of the pink id cards, which was a very painless process and has been well documented in a couple of threads. This is pretty much the same as the one you refer to above, but apparently the id number is a different range, and some people have said the wording is slightly different also. I can't read Thai, so wouldn't know.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine gemini and possibly stbkk have the red Alien registration books, that surely by now are full. Did either of you replace them, and if so how and where?. Mine has been full for over 10 years, and I have copied a previous page, and stuck it in. So far so good, but not sure whether next year it will be accepted by the local police as they have a new boss.

Gemini be aware that whilst you might not need to use a passport, I think it is mandatory to have one,

12 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Gemini be aware that whilst you might not need to use a passport, I think it is mandatory to have one,

If you have permanent residency there is no requirement for you to have a valid passport unless you want to travel.

25 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

I imagine gemini and possibly stbkk have the red Alien registration books, that surely by now are full. Did either of you replace them, and if so how and where?. Mine has been full for over 10 years, and I have copied a previous page, and stuck it in. So far so good, but not sure whether next year it will be accepted by the local police as they have a new boss.

My red book is nowhere near full, in fact its brand new as I've never had anything added to it since I got it. I seem to remember you get a new one from the same police station that issued the old one though. Sorry, not much help!

32 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I'm on Retirement Extension, have Yellow book, and pink ID card,  which I have used well over two dozen times with no problems. Beats carrying passport, or copy, around.

And the topic title says "ID card for permanent residents". You are posting in he wrong topic.

9 minutes ago, Maestro said:

And the topic title says "ID card for permanent residents". You are posting in he wrong topic.

I hear what you are saying, Maestro, but I look at like this: I've been here 9+ years, Married, Great family, nice house, new car, 1 motor bike and 2 big bikes, and I plan to be here till I die. You can't get any more "perminant" than that. lol

• Like 1

On 10/6/2016 at 1:05 PM, gamini said:

accept it, so I have to use my alien registration book. I also have my own blue tambien baan and my alien book is all up to date. Since I haven't left Thailand for many years and I don't intend to do so' I no longer need a passport.

" Since I haven't left Thailand for many years and I don't intend to do so' I no longer need a passport".

Is that right? So If I decide I never want to go to the UK ever again, then I just don't need to renew my passport and just stay in Thailand.

Yippee, no more border runs and trips to immigration.

Edited by possum1931
mix up.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

" Since I haven't left Thailand for many years and I don't intend to do so' I no longer need a passport".

Is that right? So If I decide I never want to go to the UK ever again, then I just don't need to renew my passport and just stay in Thailand.

I don't think you have permanent residency. If you did you would not need to keep your passport valid.

Gamini has PR as indicated in his post by his mention of his alien and residence books.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think you have permanent residency. If you did you would not need to keep your passport valid.

Gamini has PR as indicated in his post by his mention of his alien and residence books.

I know Joe, I was only saying it tongue in cheek. I did not know that resident books meant PR.

I do know that very few Farangs have PR.

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I'm on Retirement Extension, have Yellow book, and pink ID card,  which I have used well over two dozen times with no problems. Beats carrying passport, or copy, around.

What's the difference between the 2,nothing,imo.Just bragging rights and money spent for nothing.

On 10/17/2016 at 6:28 PM, possum1931 said:

See how that goes when you try and renew your PR book next time

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

15 hours ago, stbkk said:

My red book is nowhere near full, in fact its brand new as I've never had anything added to it since I got it. I seem to remember you get a new one from the same police station that issued the old one though. Sorry, not much help!

I assume you know that you have to renew / endorse your Alien Registration Book at the local Police Station every 5 years? That endorsement takes up half of a pre-printed page.

Mine is now full and due for the next renewal in February, 2017 - I will go to the local Police Station a few weeks beforehand to find out the procedure for getting a new one but I am pretty sure it will be very straightforward - certainly getting the renewal only takes about 10 minutes, and Baht 800. It would probably take less time but the Officer who completes the Form in my Book takes great pride in his calligraphy (he has been there for at least 15 years now).

Patrick

4 hours ago, chilli42 said:

Yes, there is an ID card for PR holders. You can get it at the airport next time you come into Thailand. Need your passport (with 2 years remaining validity), re-entry book and PR book.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

ID card issued at the airport? Issued by who?

What is a re-entry book?

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Permanent residents do not have yellow books. They are registered in blue house books.

So show your blue book then. You will get the same pink ID-card as a person with yellow book, the only difference is that your ID-card number starts with an "8" and the one with a yellow book get an ID-card with number that starts with an "6".

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/18/2016 at 8:44 AM, thedemon said:

What is a re-entry book?

If you hold a Thai PR you are entitled to a card/strip that enables you to use the electronic passport entry machines at the airport (same as the Thais use).  It's always the shortest line.  One of the immigration officers, at the entry kiosk, suggested I get it.  I walked over to the immigration office at the airport to get mine (but they would not issue unless you have thee years valitidy remaining on your passport ... I only had one year remaining.  I did notice that many have been issued when the immigration officer opened a big old book with all the foreign names in it. When I get my new passport I will get one of these.  A quicker way through immigration line on arrival.

On 10/18/2016 at 7:14 AM, p_brownstone said:

You don't need your Passport to renew your Alien Registration Certificate - Red Book, at least I have never been asked for it.

Patrick

My personal experience has been different but that may just be the MO that the nice old gent that issues these at my local police station follows.

On 10/18/2016 at 8:44 AM, thedemon said:

What is a re-entry book?

The re-entry book is the book PR holders use in conjunction with their passport to enter Thailand.  You can get single entry or multiple entry with one year validity.  The first book is blue and subsequent books are white.  The only purpose I can see is to extract a few extra Bhat from foreigners.  One thing is for sure, you are not getting. back into the kingdom unless this book is current.

For clarification, what has been called the "re-entry book" above is called the Certificate of Residence on its front cover and has the form number TM.32

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/TRbpZqTWQ7rihLC8wkusYIGfwozIgC8f-PUtpBWO3CfM7y6mX_hcvBNMWr8C3jIWNO2niTtILPVkXA=w2163-h3843-rw-no

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chilli42 said:

If you hold a Thai PR you are entitled to a card/strip that enables you to use the electronic passport entry machines at the airport (same as the Thais use).  It's always the shortest line.  One of the immigration officers, at the entry kiosk, suggested I get it.  I walked over to the immigration office at the airport to get mine (but they would not issue unless you have thee years valitidy remaining on your passport ... I only had one year remaining.  I did notice that many have been issued when the immigration officer opened a big old book with all the foreign names in it. When I get my new passport I will get one of these.  A quicker way through immigration line on arrival.

There is no card (or anything else) issued. Immigration registers your passport in the Autochannel system then takes a photo and fingerprint scan.

There is a thread in this forum detailing the process. You can search for it.

There is no card (or anything else) issued. Immigration registers your passport in the Autochannel system then takes a photo and fingerprint scan.

There is a thread in this forum detailing the process. You can search for it.

They put a small 3D barcode sticker in the passport. (On last page in my case).

Nothing else is issued.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

19 minutes ago, brianinbangkok said:

They put a small 3D barcode sticker in the passport. (On last page in my case).

Nothing else is issued.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Yes same for me. It doesn't seem to be used for anything though - except to convince those interns trying to shoo me away from the Autochannel to take my arrivals card.