new rule ?

Strictly theoretically, a TM-28 form is supposed to be filed, but (fortunately) the authorities are aware of how crazy this regulation is, and it is not enforced. If you are staying in a private dwelling, the householder is, by law, supposed to report your presence within 24 hours. Usually, reporting later is considered sufficient, and some immigration offices do not enforce TM-30 reports. Yes, clear as mud.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 2

I returned from Australia in early  September, this month I went to Hua Hin to apply for a marriage extension

They said each time I return I must report to them, as BKK has decided to be more strict with the rules

I've sometimes gone to the village of one of my regular girlfriends and stayed for a few days. Her brother is the deputy headman of the village and we stay in his house. The headman always drops by the day after I arrive (to practice his English, I think). I've never reported my presence and as they've never asked to see my passport I'm assuming neither have they

The Nakhon Phanom Immigration Office expects me to go and report every time I return from overseas, otherwise they fine my partner and in essence, me 800 baht. They will get me the next time I do a 90 day extension otherwise. So it seems to depend on the office. And I must admit, the Officers at the office are fantastic and if this is what they require, then I will follow.

Edited by Pepper1959
grammatical error

53 minutes ago, licka said:

I returned from Australia in early  September, this month I went to Hua Hin to apply for a marriage extension

They said each time I return I must report to them, as BKK has decided to be more strict with the rules

So has CM - for sure! Now in CM you need to report even if you stay away for > 24 hours anywhere outside of CM province - not just if you go abroad. An old law now being strictly enforced - in SOME areas!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I'm going to get slated for this, but has anyone ever said 'sod this, I want to appeal'?

I am sure many have said privately "I want to appeal". I assume most of them have wisely reined in the impulse to do so unless prepared to move house so they never again need to go near that immigration office.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

I've sometimes gone to the village of one of my regular girlfriends and stayed for a few days. Her brother is the deputy headman of the village and we stay in his house. The headman always drops by the day after I arrive (to practice his English, I think). I've never reported my presence and as they've never asked to see my passport I'm assuming neither have they

virtually the same situation for all of us

Confused? Moi? Bloody oath.

I have family coming to stay with me - two adults, two kids. They arrive on a Saturday. Obviously, the Jomtien imm office is not going to be open until Monday - so can only report there 48 hours after the fact. So, three questions:

1 - If they give my address to imm officers upon arrival at Old Swampy, is that sufficient, or do I still have to report to the Jomtien office on Monday?

2 - In this case will it matter if I am over the 24-hour limit because it's a Sunday?

3 - If I adhere strictly to the 24-hour rule, does that mean I have to go to a police station?

Sorry if this information is already posted - I'm having a bad hair day (can't sleep) and finding concentration difficult.

If your address changes from the previous address to  a new address when you re-enter, yes. My experience 2 weeks ago. Having left while staying at an apartment and then going into the girlfriend"s home upon my return and being honest. We reported 48 hours later and she was fined 800 B. I should have kept my mouth shut. But then I may have faced the 4,000 B. fine, for changing addresses and not reporting.

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

That would be logical, but (according to the letter of the law) nope. Your address must be confirmed on the arrival card, TM-28 (not enforced), TM-30 (sometimes enforced, sometimes not), 90-day report, and foreigner information form (now at most offices). Have I forgotten any others?

I went to my immigration office to get my reentry permit and was told that we do not want to see you until 90 days after your return. I can only follow their orders, I hope they are right but can never be sure.

2 hours ago, aslimversgwm said:

So has CM - for sure! Now in CM you need to report even if you stay away for > 24 hours anywhere outside of CM province - not just if you go abroad. An old law now being strictly enforced - in SOME areas!

Man what a pain that must be, I go on a golf trip here every week and would rather risk the fine than to follow that rule, I have never needed my passport to fly within the country or to stay at any hotel. They ask for it and I give them my drivers license, then proceed to fly or stay, days, weeks, no matter. My friendly immigration officer asked me once what is it I like to do here and I told him I travel weekly for golf and he thought that was very good. If they really start to enforce short trip notification I think many might just leave the country for good. I am invested here and would be in a bad way. I hope they lighten up in CM.

• Like 1

most foreigners that come to Thailand are tourists and this requirement is covered by the hotel that they stay at...for any IO to require a foreigner with a yearly marriage or retirement extension of stay (for which there is an extensive and intrusive application process) to report simply reveals themself as a dolt or a corrupt and malicious individual who abuses his power...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I mentioned this fun years ago in this forum, here we go again:

Immigration act from 2522 (1979) http://www.thailawforum.com/database1/immigration-law-mejesty.html  :

It's not new, it's ancient. Just hasn't been enforced. Note that you need to report to "police official", of which immigration is a part of too. So going to the police station to announce yourself to your parole officer should be enough. 

Immigration act from 2522 (1979) http://www.thailawforum.com/database1/immigration-law-mejesty.html  :

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the following :
1. Shall not engage in the occupation or temporary or employment unless authorized by the Director General. or competent official deputized by the Director General . If , in any case , there is a law concerning alien employment provided hereafter , the granting of work privileges must comply with the law concerned.

2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official of the change in residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time of arrival.

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing , concerning his place of stay , as soon as possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

It's not new, it's ancient. Just hasn't been enforced. Note that you need to report to "police official", of which immigration is a part of too. So going to the police station to announce yourself to your parole officer should be enough. 

to add to it

most people who arrive from international arrive at the airport with the code BKK.

The airport with the code BKK is actually in Samu Prakan province and not in Bangkok Province.

so nearly everyone has to report. just do it makes life easier. you neve know what changes in the future that will be enforced and the report you have done.

I don´t know how it is in other IMO offices, but in Chiang Mai it is strict,

1. not you, but the landlord or the possessor of the house (apartment) has to make this report, it can be also made online!!

2. you can´t be fined, because a foreigner gives his address already at the arrival card.

3. you have only to report the change of address, if you move.

4. It´s not if you travel in Thailand, only if you come back from outside Thailand.

5. The fine in Chiang Mai is 1600 THB

I made the new education Visa extension for my son last week in CM IMO at airport, all papers ok, but then the lady said, the house owner has to report  my son staying there , he was in Europe for 1 month in June, came back to CM 4.7. and enter CM IMO at airport.We see our landlord 1 times a year when we pay rent. So my gf has to report my son, pay 1600 THB fine, otherwise he wouldn´t get his new extension.

Even he didn´t make anything wrong and it is the same address like last year on the Visa aplication.

We meet a friend there who made a new retirement extension, his wife also had to pay, it was 3 pm and the investigation office was full of people, who paid fine. 

Good luck to the people who live alone in a rental place and the owner, lives at a different place/town.   

• Like 1