Why does my Honda City use so much oil?

maphraw

My Honda City is using lots of motor oil lately. It doesn't leak oil and there doesn't appear to be any dark  exhaust which  indicates oil is being burnt. 4000 kilometers after my last oil change it needed 2 liters. After about 2500 kilometers it needed another liter. I took it to the Honda dealer and they changed the oil and filter and told me to come back if the problem continues. They told me they saw nothing wrong with the engine. Another 4500 kilometers it needed 2 more liters of oil. Any solutions or suggestions or recommended mechanics in the Chonburi -  Rayong area who might be able

to locate the problem and fix it.  Thanks,

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What year and how many total kilometers on the engine?

Dark Exhaust is NOT burning oil.  White smoke or a whitish smoke with a blue hue is burning oil. 

How does the car run? Perfect? no noticeable change? 

Absolutely nothing on the ground when left over night? 

Be as detailed as possible. 

If no sign of leakage, get the engine warm, undo the oil filler cap with the engine running and see if oily vapour is being tossed out under a bit of pressure, if it is you have a cylinder problem, if not probably a valve stem seal problem...

The car has 230,000 kilos and it is 6 and a half years old. It seems to run perfectly. Very smooth. No noticeable odd noises or vibrations. No leakage at all under the car. I have serviced the car religiously since I bought it new i.e.  changed the oil and filter every 10,000 k's. Often drive very fast when upcountry on 4 lane highways, 140 kilometers per hour. The Honda dealer mechanics seemed clueless when I told them about the unusual oil usage. 

1 minute ago, maphraw said:

The car has 230,000 kilos and it is 6 and a half years old. It seems to run perfectly. Very smooth. No noticeable odd noises or vibrations. No leakage at all under the car. I have serviced the car religiously since I bought it new i.e.  changed the oil and filter every 10,000 k's. Often drive very fast when upcountry on 4 lane highways, 140 kilometers per hour. The Honda dealer mechanics seemed clueless when I told them about the unusual oil usage. 

Looks like either of the things I have stated....Are you using a 'thin' oil....?

If it's not leaking onto the floor or visible around the engine and you don't see blue smoke while your driving or at start up then if you take it to the garage they will probably have to strip the engine to find the possible fault

This would probably not be worth the expense and finding anyone competent would be an issue, try the heavier weight of oil as a starter you probably have just normal engine wear / bore glaze and the higher speed exacerbates the oil consumption

5 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

T.A.. Honda only use Thin Oil as you call it on E85 O.E. Engines , and it lasts just as long the old Accord stuff did surprisingly.. He wants a Bucket of Duckhams 20/50 from years ago i tink.:stoner:.

Is a 6.5 year old Honda E85 compatible ?

Just now, maphraw said:

Could you recommend a heavier weight of oil? I mean a number or a brand? Thanks.

Do a gloooogle for Shell....They do an oil for high mileage rides....I do oil changes at a Shell garage...If you can't find it I will look and see what they say..

17 minutes ago, maphraw said:

Could you recommend a heavier weight of oil? I mean a number or a brand? Thanks.

When you get the vehicle serviced at Honda, do they leave the empty container in your boot ? They do at the two Honda places I've been to.

If they have and you still have one laying around have a look and see what grade it is. It could be 10-30, 10-40 or what ever and then run that past trans and Ace to see what they come up with.

Kartman, where can you get Vavoline motor oil in Thailand? Is it readily available. I googled 'Vavoline availability in Thailand' and nothing came up. It got a good write up and was recommened for the kind of problem I have been having. Thanks.

38 minutes ago, maphraw said:

If you have an old canister check the label, the second number is the one which you should raise if you go down this route

For example if you have 10W30 oil then go for a 10W40 oil, sometimes you find that the garages here put oils in engines which are unnecessary so check the user manual (sometimes in the engine bay as well) for the original grade as well to confirm that they are supplying the correct type

They may have altered the grade to a lower viscosity because they "think" it's a good idea or it can be charged at a higher price to you and this could have been the start of the issue

1 minute ago, maphraw said:

Kartman, where can you get Vavoline motor oil in Thailand? Is it readily available. I googled 'Vavoline availability in Thailand' and nothing came up. It got a good write up and was recommened for the kind of problem I have been having. Thanks.

You do not need to find Vavolene, it is just an oil manufacturer, you need an oil from any manufacturer to cope with your problem....Shell does it and Shell stations are around.....But you just need to up the weight of oil for starters...If your ride normally has 0-30 or 5-30 then up it to 10-40..See what happens...

If you are losing oil its going either 1 of 2 places, consuming it (burning it) or leaking it. 

If you are consuming it, it can only be 1 of 2 things, valve seals/valve guides, or piston rings. 

You need to take it to a shop and look for any leaks, with your eyes, as step 1. All under the undercarriage and under the hood. Gotta look for it. Gotta rule out the simple stuff first. 

If no leaks, then you need to have a "Leakdown Test" performed. This will rule out engine block, piston rings, valve seat, and valve. 

Unless you have overheated it, its unlikely that its anything serious like rings. If its not leaking, its probably your high rpm driving and leaking past the valve train, or a combination of leak/valvetrain. 

I see other posters talking about using a heavier weight oil, thats good advice, but I think the more important choice would be the same weight oil or a little heavier "Conventional" non-synthetic. Locals seem to like to use "semi-semthetic" or "Synthetic" and in your case I would really try "Conventional" non-synthetic.

Just want to note, its problems like the OP has that make "Mechanics" over here so frustrating. Simple compression tests and leak down tests are so easy and pretty much non-invasive (for the most part) and can tell you a HUGE amount about the condition of your engine, but I rarely see it here. 

Not only that, but when you take your car in and tell them about a problem, they come back with 3-4-5 things "Wrong" and its so unlikely. If you take your car in and they don't give you a specific problem, take it to another place.

IMHO look for leaks, even if you don't see it on the ground, change to a heavier conventional oil, and if that does not work, you can either drive it and monitor the oil or take it to the shop. 

2 hours ago, transam said:

Do a gloooogle for Shell....They do an oil for high mileage rides....I do oil changes at a Shell garage...If you can't find it I will look and see what they say..

I hav a 3yr old Honda City 1.5 V Tec. I use 5w 40 oil.

For your high mileage vehicle use 10w 40. It's thicker, Shell 4ltrs is prob the best  700b. You can get cheaper brands 400b - 500b.

Really just need to take it to a shop and pull the spark plugs for inspection at the very least. Will immediately tell if its burning oil or not. 

Im finding it hard to believe it will burn liters of oil and still drive fine and not foul plugs. 

1 minute ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

For your high mileage vehicle use 10w 40. It's thicker, Shell 4ltrs is prob the best  700b. You can get cheaper brands 400b - 500b.

going from 5w to 10w won't help as Thailand climate isn't cold enough for it to have any effect. 

The real question is if synthetics are used or conventional

7 minutes ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

5w40 and 10w40 will have the same  viscosity  (thickness ) when hot.

Archived