3bb vs ais fiber vs true online ( fttx)

primacybkk

At TG,

Yeap, a good router consists more of than just its advertised/hyped speed spec's and  speed of ethernet ports.   A lot depends on the quality/horsepower of the core chips and amount of memory the routers have.   Not all routers of "equal spec'ed speeds" are created equal....one can give much better performance/speed than the other.   

I was also curious about the channel bandwidth discussion that was had above, so I wanted to ck and see the available settings on my AC router for that. Here's what my DLink shows, which seems to be no manual ability to force the signal to wider channels, just the ability to set it to be able to reach wider channel widths thru the "Auto" settings.

PS0042.jpg

On the Edimax if my memory serves me, only a setting of 20/40/80 or 20 is available...that is only two setting to choose from.   For the 20/40/80 I'm assuming (and based on my googling) it will switch to to either 20, 40, or 80 channel width as needed/as requested by the receiving client or as determined best by the router.  For the 20 setting that means stay set at 20Mhz channel width...don't change.  For the Edimax its the same available channel width settings for the 2.4 or 5Ghz bands.

Now I did find out in testing today on the 2.4Ghz band when you have it set to 20/40/80 if will change to 40Mhz channel width by bonding two channels but it will only do it on Channel 1, 6 (both of which I tested) and probably 11 (I didn't check) as those are the only three channels on the 2.4Ghz band that don't have any overlap.    When it was set to channel 3, which which was its default setting, it would stay stuck at 20Mhz channel width...and I expect it would have been the same all the other 2.4Ghz band channels except 1, 6, and 11.

Now my ASUS N300 router in its firmware you can select 20, 20/40, or 40...that is three available settings.  Kinda like yours above in that "you have more control of telling it what channel width you want to use" versus the router have more of or equal say to what you want.

Yeap, firmware in different routers varies.

46 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My dual band DLink DIR-860L A1 came with 128 MB of flash memory, 128 MB of RAM and an 800 Mhz Broadcom chipset. That means it's rated for up to 300 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band and 867 Mbps on the 5 GHz band.

By comparison, it looks like the Edimax router you're talking about is a 2014 model that has just 4 MB of flash memory, 64 MB of RAM, and uses a Realtek chipset, which seems to be slower (possibly 520 Mhz), and for example, not compatible with DD-WRT firmware. Up to 300 Mbps on 2.4 Ghz and 433 Mbps on 5 Ghz. Retailing on Amazon for $33 U.S.

https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-BR-6208AC-Concurrent-Dual-band-Multi-mode/dp/B00N4OBJW2/

It looks like Edimax came out with an AC 1200 (V2) version of the same router in late 2015 that's currently selling for just a bit more at $46. The V2 version seems to come with Gigabit ethernet ports instead.

https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-BR-6208AC-Concurrent-Dual-band-Multi-mode/dp/B018IZ9WZM/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Me getting in the mood of wanting to buy another router....probably an ASUS RT-AC68U (an AC1900Mb router going for around Bt7K in Thailand) for my router/access point to be used downstairs...it would replace my ASUS RT-NT12HP (a N300 router) which I currently have downstairs and just love.   And yes the RT-AC68 come with gigabit ports and other neat capabilities.   Me like ASUS routers.

Would move my current ASUS RT-NT12 upstairs to serve as the primary access point upstairs, use the new RT-AC68U downstairs, and then turn off the Wifi on the AIS-provided Huawei HG8245G which receives my AIS 50/10 fibre input and provides Wifi upstairs, and use the ASUS RT-N12 for Wifi upstairs.  Just use the Huawei to feed the AIS internet to my access points.

Since I want to keep my home server downstairs which is air-conditioned all the time and where the great majority of our interneting/networking occurs, I would want the the ASUS RT-AC68 as the router during the majority of the interneting/networking work in the home.  Yeap, just may buy one soon...early Christmas present to myself...we'll see.

Edited by Pib

Yeap, and it will also give me gigabit ports.   The lack of gigabit ports on my current ASUS RT-N12HP router is "now" a choke point for me with my home server, a home server which I didn't have (or plan to get) when I bought the ASUS RT-N12 around 3 years ago.  

And at that time my internet plan was a True cable/DOCSIS 15Mb plan and still was up to 4 months ago when AIS Fibre came to my moobaan.  Now although True offerred cable plans/speeds up to 1000Mb at that time the monthly cost was like a monthly car payment---high...and with True their plans above 50Mb are still very pricy.  Heck, only very recently did True make a BIG price drop of around 4-fold for their 50Mb cable/fiber plan.  So combined with the very high price of any high speed fiber/cable plans from any Thai ISP, be it True, 3BB, AIS, CAT, etc., and really only during the last year have we seen a big jump up in fiber plans availability (even out in the provinces) and greatly reduced prices has the need for home networking equipment which needs to handle speed greater than 100Mb (or maybe even around greater than 50Mb) come to be a reality.  

Yes, yes, if you are one of those folks who always gotta have the latest-and-great, fastest hardware and really big in home networking where you are streaming HD movie across the house all the time, then maybe you have had networking Wifi and ethernet hardware that didn't have the chokepoints like 100Mb ports and Wifi that struggles to get to even get to 100Mb speed.   

Heck, when looking at some of the current day high end routers (i.e., very pricey...up to around Bt20K) like at this InvadeIT webpage, they come with eight antennas, quad stream gigabit Wifi, AC5300 (5300Mb), and other hysterical, magical networking terminology.

When comparing the latest whiz-bang routers, any router any of us have mentioned as owning in the thread is like comparing the newest race car to an old skateboard.    Now I'm not going to buy an eight antenna race car but it is probably time to upgrade from a skateboard to a small motorcycle while continuing to use my skateboard in another location. :tongue:

• Haha 1

Dunno know if you've noticed, but amid all the discussion here of 3BB and AIS and even a bit on CAT..... virtually no one has posted here in this thread as having True Online FTTH.

I mean real True Online FTTH -- as opposed to what True calls "SuperSpeed Fiber" but still ends up as a co-ax cable into their traditional home cable router.

Makes me wonder just how much True Online has actually expanded their real FFTH service footprint -- as opposed to the not too distant past when even in BKK it was just limited to a very few housing estates and new condo developments.

Yea, True has blurred/changed the name of their high speed plans consisting of fiber optics and DOCSIS/cable....both of which are capable of very high speeds...up to 1000 to 2000Mb current day.   It's been renamed several times over the last to years to the current day name of  "SuperSpeedFiber."   They just had to get the buzz word "fiber" into the name since most people will automatically relate fiber optics with really fast internet, whereas, saying DOCSIS/cable just goes over the head of many people...just don't immediately make them relate it to really fast internet.  

Now although you may actually receive a DOCSIS/cable connection to your residence (i.e, a coaxial cable like a TV cable) versus fiber optics, True is technically not lying by using the buzz word "Fiber" since even the DOCSIS/cable hooks into True's fiber optics backbone up at some point.

Speaking of True SuperSpeedFiber, I just went to their website and they have a "new" promotion....now a promotion for 100/30Mb including TV channels, a mobile SIM and landline for Bt1,399/mo (not include 7% VAT).  That promotion/big price drop was not there around a week ago.   And it was only a month or two ago True came out with their 50/10 promotion at Bt899 (a four fold price drop), then a month or so later changed it 50/20 still at Bt899, and now a 100/30 plan at BT1,399.  

As mentioned all BIG price drops from their previous prices.  Guess the 3BB, AIS, and others fiber optics competition is draining off customers...I know it is in my moobaan.   It drained me off four months ago when AIS came to my moobaan....if True had come out with these new promotion with the BIG price drops before I switched they might still have me as an internet customer because I had been on their DOCSIS/cable for 5 years and only switched because I wanted a significantly higher speed plan without paying an arm and a leg which True greater than 30Mb plans cost at that time....oh how times can change so fast.

P.S.  Just visited a local mall...the computer store where I bought my other ASUS routers 3 years ago has the ASUS RT-AC68U which I'm very interested in right now....price Bt6,500.....about Bt500 cheaper than InvadeIT.   Still thinking which router I really want to get....how much overkill to buy....overkill that probably won't be overkill in X-years. 

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/product-service/super-fiber/entry/5349?ln=en

Capture.JPG

Nice offer from True, well as mentioned they been forced to it, serves them well, greedy bastards. I can't imagine anybody needs those speeds man, for what? Posting your results ever 2nd day and show to the world how fast your connection is? :ph34r: Even my 12Mb speed is quite good for me, okay sometimes struggling in the evenings during weekends, but normally okay.

Sadly I just paid for my satellite gold package not so long time ago and they will not transfer remaining balance to cable so I will not swap until it's due for renewal.

I wonder if one can download tons of movies/TV series without getting throttled?

That router you are referring to Pib is very nice, was launched in 2013 but still very good. I am also on the market for a better one as my old D-Link dir600 is getting old and needs resetting quite often and I need just a little bit more reach.

Yea, True has blurred/changed the name of their high speed plans consisting of fiber optics and DOCSIS/cable....both of which are capable of very high speeds...up to 1000 to 2000Mb current day.   It's been renamed several times over the last to years to the current day name of  "SuperSpeedFiber."   They just had to get the buzz word "fiber" into the name since most people will automatically relate fiber optics with really fast internet, whereas, saying DOCSIS/cable just goes over the head of many people...just don't immediately make them relate it to really fast internet.  

Now although you may actually receive a DOCSIS/cable connection to your residence (i.e, a coaxial cable like a TV cable) versus fiber optics, True is technically not lying by using the buzz word "Fiber" since even the DOCSIS/cable hooks into True's fiber optics backbone up at some point.

Speaking of True SuperSpeedFiber, I just went to their website and they have a "new" promotion....now a promotion for 100/30Mb including TV channels, a mobile SIM and landline for Bt1,399/mo (not include 7% VAT).  That promotion/big price drop was not there around a week ago.   And it was only a month or two ago True came out with their 50/10 promotion at Bt899 (a four fold price drop), then a month or so later changed it 50/20 still at Bt899, and now a 100/30 plan at BT1,399.  

As mentioned all BIG price drops from their previous prices.  Guess the 3BB, AIS, and others fiber optics competition is draining off customers...I know it is in my moobaan.   It drained me off four months ago when AIS came to my moobaan....if True had come out with these new promotion with the BIG price drops before I switched they might still have me as an internet customer because I had been on their DOCSIS/cable for 5 years and only switched because I wanted a significantly higher speed plan without paying an arm and a leg which True greater than 30Mb plans cost at that time....oh how times can change so fast.

P.S.  Just visited a local mall...the computer store where I bought my other ASUS routers 3 years ago has the ASUS RT-AC68U which I'm very interested in right now....price Bt6,500.....about Bt500 cheaper than InvadeIT.   Still thinking which router I really want to get....how much overkill to buy....overkill that probably won't be overkill in X-years. 

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/product-service/super-fiber/entry/5349?ln=en
Capture.JPG.ad18064fbcdeddaa85af7ee9b761d1e6.JPG

I have that Asus RT-AC68U router and while it's generally good I'm not sure that I would recommend it. With the stock firmware I had problems with certain devices giving almost zero throughout & timing out and I never really found out why. When I switched to the Tomato USB firmware most of those problems went away - all of my devices function pretty normally now except for a 3 year old Samsung tablet with 802,11n from which I'm only able to get about 12 Mbps throughput to the router even though I get much faster speeds than that when I connect that device to the WiFi at certain cafes and restaurants.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Dunno know if you've noticed, but amid all the discussion here of 3BB and AIS and even a bit on CAT..... virtually no one has posted here in this thread as having True Online FTTH.

I mean real True Online FTTH -- as opposed to what True calls "SuperSpeed Fiber" but still ends up as a co-ax cable into their traditional home cable router.

Makes me wonder just how much True Online has actually expanded their real FFTH service footprint -- as opposed to the not too distant past when even in BKK it was just limited to a very few housing estates and new condo developments.

Here's a very recent post in another thread talking True promotions regarding True Fiber2U 30/10...not any detail on why its abysmal though.

On 10/28/2016 at 0:42 PM, shariq607 said:

The Ais  edimax router out of the box does not support router mode,  Ais has replaced the original oem firmware for a customized Ais firmware which only supports access point.

so out of the box , the edimax router is already configured to be used solely as an access point and you cannot change to other mode unless you download the oem firmware from the edimax website and re flash it to remove the Ais firmware. 

The other thing is, even though The edimax supports Ac wifi it is still limited with 100 Mb wan and lan ports which means folks who have speed plans above 100 mb will still be limited with the max throughout being limited to 100 Mbits.

Today I flashed AIS-provided Edimax (the freebie 2.4/5Ghz AC750 router) from its AIS Fibre specific firmware Ver V1.01 to the latest Edimax firmware V.1.30.   Gone is AIS Fibre as part of the firmware menu and I can now change to the 5 different modes versus only 2 with the AIS firmware.   And I have additional settings like Firewall, QoS, and a few others when in router mode.

I used the procedure found at this Pantip webpage (Thai language only and you need to use Google Translate for a half-ass translation).   My firmware menu now looks like the picture posted at the Pantip webpage.  

You "can not" update the firmware from the Upgrade firmware in the menu because you will just get a "Invalid File Format" when trying to load/install the firmware file.  When googling I saw this was a common problem even with other Edimax models.  When using the procedure at the Pantip page you end up getting to a special "Firmware Recovery Menu" which "will" accept the exact same firmware file which is rejected as Invalid File Format if trying the upgrade in the basic firmware menu area.   Now, having to use the Firmware Recovery Menu and just trying to reach that point is not for the faint of heart.

I now have the router in "Router" mode and have run some initial speed tests by transferring a 100MB sized file from my Home Server hooked to a Edimax ethernet port.  Keep in mind and as mentioned in earlier posts the Edimax ports are limited to 100Mb so the fastest speed I could get in the test would be  around 100Mb.   My laptop was approx 3 meters with no obstructions from the Edimax router,

Just before I did the flash (i.e., still running the original AIS firmware), I did some quick transfer tests at 2.4GHz and 5GHz.  Got approx 60Mb speed using 2.4Ghz and 59Mb using 5GHz.   After the flash to V1.30 and on initial tests I was getting 99Mb on 2.4 and 5Ghz.   I was surprised the 2.4Ghz was doing so well....I confirmed I was indeed on a 2.4Ghz connection...even disconnected and reconnected to 2.4Ghz....still got around 99Mb.  

So at this point I took a break for about 30 minutes to walk the dog (it's late evening and people are coming home from school and work).   About an hour later I start run tests again and on 5Ghz I'm still getting 99Mb speed....just a rock solid 99Mb.  But when testing on 2.4GHz I was now only getting around 85Mb and fairly steady.  See the snapshot below where I used the Windows task manager to monitor the Wifi speed during the tests and you'll see in each image there were three tests done at each speed.

5Ghz Test Snapshot....top of the chart is 100Mb...three tests run

Capture_5GHz ThroughPut Test.JPG

2.4Ghz Test Snapshot...top of the chart is 100Mb...three tests run

Capture_2_4GHz ThroughPut Test.JPG

Now over the next hour the 2.4Ghz speed continued to get worst as I run more/repeated tests...even down to around 25Mb....I tried different channels also and both 20Mhz and 40Mhz channel widths.  But the 5Ghz speed stayed rock solid at around 99Mb.   I'm thinking as more people had come home from school/work the interference of the 2.4Ghz band got worst.  The InSSIDer app showed plenty of Wifi routers in use on the 2.4Ghz band....but on the 5Ghz band I the only one on it.

I then took the laptop into the next bedroom which had a 6 inch concrete wall and wooden closet obstructing the router signal still in the master/next bedroom.  I could still get over 90Mb on 5GHz but the 2.4GHz speed was still around 25Mb.   The 5GHz speed was handing in there really good.

I will do some more testing tomorrow when most of my neighbors are at school/work when the competing Wifi interference is less and see what the 2.4Ghz speed looks like then...see if it's back up around 99Mb like during the initial tests.

Yeap, I replaced the AIS firmware with the latest OEM firmware.  Got the Edimax box back to its "full capabilities" and it looks lie the update firmware help with the speed a whole lot.  More time and testing will tell.

Seriously Pib!!!  Re the Edimax router, you've clearly got too much time on your hands... :burp:

Re below, where have I heard this before???  Hmmm....

Ahhhh!!  I know where. I wrote pretty much the same thing here re my own 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi testing, a couple weeks ago!

Welcome to the 5 GHz wifi club! :tongue:

28 minutes ago, Pib said:

The InSSIDer app showed plenty of Wifi routers in use on the 2.4Ghz band....but on the 5Ghz band I the only one on it.

I then took the laptop into the next bedroom which had a 6 inch concrete wall and wooden closet obstructing the router signal still in the master/next bedroom.  I could still get over 90Mb on 5GHz but the 2.4GHz speed was still around 25Mb.   The 5GHz speed was handing in there really good.

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Seriously Pib!!!  Re the Edimax router, you've clearly got too much time on your hands... :burp:

Oh the life of a retiree....plenty of free time to play....and I like playing around with electronics/IT hardware....but I'm always reluctant in buying new hardware...tend to hang onto my stuff forever.  And I wish I hadn't drank so many Leo beers during the firmware flashing as it slowed me down in figuring-out the unique process to flash over the AIS firmware.   But Leo and I were victorious!  

And regarding buying new hardware, my next buy will probably be a thumb size USB AC Wifi adapter to plug into my primary laptop in order to give it 5Ghz capability.  I just hope the antennas in those finger tip sized Wifi adapters things are good enough to accomplish good signal transmission.  The antenna feeding your Wifi circuit build into a laptop usually runs from the main circuit board up into the screen assembly in order to provide good, strong reception.  I know you can buy these larger USB plug-in Wifi adapaters that even come with traditional type antenna but I want something truly small that is just a little nub sticking out from a USB port.  I move around with my laptop so I don't want to have it tethered to some bulky external Wifi adapter in order to use 5Ghz.  

And I'm not going down the road of seeing if there is a 2.4/5Ghz Wifi adapter that may be able to replace the one currently in my laptop...a little circuit board type adapter.  Usually a person has pretty limited or no choice in doing this in laptops...but for desktops it's a piece of cake.  Plus, in my laptop I expect it only has one antenna built-in to handle its current 2.4Ghz capability....but not another antenna to handle 5Ghz....but maybe the same antenna could be used....don't know. 

This InvadeIT webpage shows many USB Wifi adapters ranging from bulky things that set on a table next to your computer with traditional type antennas to just little thumb nail sized Wifi adapters.  But right now I leaning towards this little ASUS USB AC600 Wifi adapter.   I like ASUS Wifi equipment and it would give me 433Mb capability on the 5Hhz band...and a redundant 150Mb (like my current laptop) on the 2.4GHz band.

On 10/29/2016 at 6:53 PM, shariq607 said:

Cat does certainly provide fiber directly to residential areas, cat is responsible for maintaining the international gateway in Thailand, Many private Isps lease international bandwidth from them.

Here is their price list/promotion

IMG_0317.JPG

Hi shariq607 and others who is using CAT Fiber...I have true vdsl 50mb and it is bad for international connection so Im not sure if CAT is reliable company and good international connection and is it better than AIS...thanks

OK...found the reason the Edimax data speed was struggling on the 2.4Ghz band.  First, I took a look using InSSIDer to see if the neighbors now at work/school had reduced the number of competing Wifi signals on the 2.4 band...and yes, there were quite a few less competing signals than last night.

So I run a data throughput test (i.e,  transfer of a 100MB file from my  home server).  Still getting only around 25Mb speed.  I then take the Edimax off Auto channel selection...tried a couple of channels like 1 and 6...rerun the test....didn't help.  Also confirmed it was set to 20/40Mhz channel width to ensure it would automatically use 40Mhz channel width.

To eliminate one more 2.4Ghz signal I turned off the Wifi on the Huawei HG8245G setting about a meter away....rerun the transfer test...still didn't help...still only getting around 25MHz.   I took a look at my laptop's Wifi adapter Link speed....hold on one...it's only reflecting a 54Mhz Link speed (i.e., 802.11G) instead of a 150Mb Link Speed.  Something is causing the Link speed between the Edimax 2.4GHz signal and my laptop from negotiating a 150Mb Link speed....they are only agreeing to a 54Mb Link speed connection which means the max data throughput is going to be in the 25 to 30Mb ballpark.  

I then go downstairs where my ASUS 2.4Ghz is located and turn it off to eliminate that possible Wifi interference.  Rerun the tests...success!!!!  I'm now getting the almost 100Mb data throughput speed.   See below where I run three tests.  I was getting almost 99Mb and it was  pretty steady 99Mb throughput...varying less than 1Mb up or down.  

Edimax 2.4Ghz data throughput...three tests run....top of scale is 100Mb.   And this time I ensured I also included the part of the snapshot that shows a 2.4Ghz connection.

So, the problem was self-inflicted from interference from my ASUS 2.4GHz router downstairs.   A thing about signal interference is it can get worst or less when seemingly "you" have not changed anything.  

Also, one router may be able to deal with competing Wif interference much better than another router. Like the Huawei HG8245G upstairs which is setting only a meter away from the Edimax is not affected or minimally affected by my ASUS router signal downstairs...and vice versa in the Huawei not affecting the ASUS.  I guess their design (hardware and firmware) can better deal with competing Wifi interference from other routers.

2 hours ago, carthaivisa said:

Hi shariq607 and others who is using CAT Fiber...I have true vdsl 50mb and it is bad for international connection so Im not sure if CAT is reliable company and good international connection and is it better than AIS...thanks

For me Cat is way faster than Ais fiber but your mileage may vary. 

2 hours ago, Pib said:

OK...found the reason the Edimax data speed was struggling on the 2.4Ghz band.  First, I took a look using InSSIDer to see if the neighbors now at work/school had reduced the number of competing Wifi signals on the 2.4 band...and yes, there were quite a few less competing signals than last night.

So I run a data throughput test (i.e,  transfer of a 100MB file from my  home server).  Still getting only around 25Mb speed.  I then take the Edimax off Auto channel selection...tried a couple of channels like 1 and 6...rerun the test....didn't help.  Also confirmed it was set to 20/40Mhz channel width to ensure it would automatically use 40Mhz channel width.

To eliminate one more 2.4Ghz signal I turned off the Wifi on the Huawei HG8245G setting about a meter away....rerun the transfer test...still didn't help...still only getting around 25MHz.   I took a look at my laptop's Wifi adapter Link speed....hold on one...it's only reflecting a 54Mhz Link speed (i.e., 802.11G) instead of a 150Mb Link Speed.  Something is causing the Link speed between the Edimax 2.4GHz signal and my laptop from negotiating a 150Mb Link speed....they are only agreeing to a 54Mb Link speed connection which means the max data throughput is going to be in the 25 to 30Mb ballpark.  

I then go downstairs where my ASUS 2.4Ghz is located and turn it off to eliminate that possible Wifi interference.  Rerun the tests...success!!!!  I'm now getting the almost 100Mb data throughput speed.   See below where I run three tests.  I was getting almost 99Mb and it was  pretty steady 99Mb throughput...varying less than 1Mb up or down.  

Edimax 2.4Ghz data throughput...three tests run....top of scale is 100Mb.   And this time I ensured I also included the part of the snapshot that shows a 2.4Ghz connection.

So, the problem was self-inflicted from interference from my ASUS 2.4GHz router downstairs.   A thing about signal interference is it can get worst or less when seemingly "you" have not changed anything.  

Also, one router may be able to deal with competing Wif interference much better than another router. Like the Huawei HG8245G upstairs which is setting only a meter away from the Edimax is not affected or minimally affected by my ASUS router signal downstairs...and vice versa in the Huawei not affecting the ASUS.  I guess their design (hardware and firmware) can better deal with competing Wifi interference from other routers.

Thanks for the detailed tests you did, I also flashed the edimax router to its oem firmware and although it's better than Ais firmware and I'm very impressed with the 5Ghz performance but I can't seem to get more than 18Mb on speed tests using 2.4Ghz and I have tried all channels and everything.

4 hours ago, Pib said:

This InvadeIT webpage shows many USB Wifi adapters ranging from bulky things that set on a table next to your computer with traditional type antennas to just little thumb nail sized Wifi adapters.  But right now I leaning towards this little ASUS USB AC600 Wifi adapter.   I like ASUS Wifi equipment and it would give me 433Mb capability on the 5Hhz band...and a redundant 150Mb (like my current laptop) on the 2.4GHz band.

Pib, I bought two different USB wifi adapters for home use here in recent months, so let me pass along a caution note:

Especially in the lower priced models, there were a lot that were still being offered for sale, especially here in Thailand but also in the U.S., that were not specifically certified for use with Windows 10 and/or didn't have specific Windows 10 drivers available as yet from the manufacturer. Perhaps that doesn't matter much to the typical Thai buyer who's running Windows XP still :ph34r:, but it does matter to us, so be careful about that.

The AC 600 model I bought for 850b for my bedroom laptop was from Invade IT, the TP-Link Archer T2UH, which is listed on the box as only up to Windows 8.1 compatible. In reading the Amazon buyer reviews on that model, Windows 10 users were complaining about problems seeing and or connecting to 5GHz with the TP-Link Win 8.1 drivers and the Windows 10 system drivers. (To this day, just checking again now, the latest Windows drivers for this adapter on the TP-Link website are Win 8.1 from late 2014). But, I found from the Amazon reviews, there are also Windows 10 specific drivers available directly from the chip maker, MediaTek, for the adapter, and people recommended using those instead for Win 10. That's what I did, and the adapter has worked.

I'm not recommending that model as a buy. But I am urging to be careful about Windows 10 compatibility and to try to find and read user reviews of whatever models you're going to consider from places like Amazon and the like. That's where word about any compatibility problems is going to surface.

1 hour ago, shariq607 said:

For me Cat is way faster than Ais fiber but your mileage may vary. 

Hi Shariq, can you inform what CAT package are using and in which area you installed CAT Fiber and do you live in apartment or house as I'm living in apartment/condo..thanks.

TG,

Thanks for the driver info.  One reason I like to use ASUS for networking products is because they seem to stay on top of driver updates, or at least they have from my ASUS router I had for several years now....seems two or three times a year come out with new firmware to fix minor things, newly discovered security holes, etc.  And the firmware updates has always worked!

According to the ASUS website the USBAC51 that I'm interested in right now since it "small" and is an AC600 adapter it does have Win 10 drivers/suppport....last updated Oct 15  which was several months after Win 10 came.e out.   I did take a look to confirm it supported Win 10 before deciding on trying to get this adapter because some USB adapters haven't had their drivers updated for optimum Win 10 operation.    I went to a computer store in a nearby mall today to see if they had an USBAC51 but they didn't...but they are going to try to get it...the rep is suppose to contact their supplier and the shop will call me back tomorrow.   If I can't get it there (but chances are good they will get it) or I find it some where else nearby I'll just order it from InvadeIT.    Funny you mention TP-Link...the store rep tried to sell me a TP Link since they had plenty but they were the full finger sized USB adapter....I don't want one that big.

Capture.JPG

42 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If you end up going down that "mini" road, I'll be very curious to hear how that kind of wifi adapter performs, especially at the AC wifi levels.

Usually, for optimum reception purposes, you WANT a good antenna.

Yea, that's a concern for me also like mentioned in my earlier post.   Buy hey, it will only cost around Bt1000.   Actually plan to get two such USB adapters eventually...the second one is for a 10 year old laptop that usually stays in a stationary location and only has a 54G (54Mb) Wifi circuit which means best case it can get around 25-30Mb.   And that 54G speed was just fine when I was on True DOCSIS/cable when the highest speed plan I ever got was 20Mb.   

You know True's 20Mb down/2Mb cable plan use to cost Bt1200 (later dropped to about half that price)...I use to have it around 3 to 4  years ago....and now we are seeing plans like 3BB's Fiber 200/50 plan for Bt1200.  Oh, how times do change.

3 hours ago, shariq607 said:

Thanks for the detailed tests you did, I also flashed the edimax router to its oem firmware and although it's better than Ais firmware and I'm very impressed with the 5Ghz performance but I can't seem to get more than 18Mb on speed tests using 2.4Ghz and I have tried all channels and everything.

Like in my case the 2.4Ghz speed problem was self-inflicted....that is, it was a 2.4Ghz Wifi router in my own house (my ASUS N300 router downstairs).  But it could have just as easily turned out to be a neighbor's interfering Wifi which I would have had no control over.   For folks living in highrises with condos/apartments above, below, and around you possibly running Wifi I can see how it could be a bigger problem than for folks who live in houses and have more distance between them and the neighbors.    When I turned that ASUS Wifi off the Edimax 2.4Ghz speed went up to 99Mb.  And it may have been able to go higher but in my tests the Edimax input ports are limited to 100Mb speed.

Since you are experiencing the same problem as I did with my Edimax and since my other two 2.4Ghz routers, a Huawei and an ASUS, don't experience this problem I thinking the Edimax may not be able to handle interference too well.

Just as FYI where I earlier mentioned I don't want to go down the replacing the Wifi circuit/board in my laptop which I could.  Main reason I just didn't think this 3 year old laptop originally came with/was designed for built-in 5GHz capability.  5GHz only started becoming really popular about 3 years ago.  And review of the Lenovo Hardware Maintenance Manual for my model shows six different possible Wifi circuit boards from different manufacturers and they are all N model boards..and I looked up the main chips on some of the boards and they are all 2.4Ghz N chips...no AC. 

And just as nice to know "and to see the typical Wifi antenna in a laptop" which runs from the main motherboard Wifi circuit/mini plug-in board on the motherboard (all under the keyboard you beat on) will run up through hinges that connect the laptop main body to its screen...and the Wifi antenna wires usually continue to run up to the very top of the laptop screen where they can get best reception.

Like the snapshot from the maintenance manual for my laptop showing the screen assembly...I circled the Wifi antenna wires (2 wires...can be 3 on some laptops depending on the Wifi circuit).  Where I made small circle within the large circle is where the wires wiggle through the hinges and then the wires continue to the top portion of the laptop.  Now some laptops may keep the wires all in the main body running around the edges...but that kind of antenna setup is not as good....antennas like to be sticking up in the open for best reception.

Capture_laptop antenna.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carthaivisa said:

shariq uses cat business fiber, which costs an arm and a leg. most of us here can't afford to pay 6-7k baht/month for internet (or more?)

34 minutes ago, muratremix said:

shariq uses cat business fiber, which costs an arm and a leg. most of us here can't afford to pay 6-7k baht/month for internet (or more?)

Indeed, he always seems to be vague about just what CAT plan he may have, and especially about how much he's paying for it....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

3 hours ago, muratremix said:

I use to pay around 7000 baht plus for 35 Mb static Ip since years ago but around few months ago I downgraded to 30 mb public Ip package which costs 1600-1700 per month not sure exactly as my secretary is responsible for paying the bills.

honestly, I have not noticed any difference in international bandwidth and pings except just losing static IP.