May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

41 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I hear that the Finnish people are also becoming sick of the E.U. They will have to contribute more money to make up for the loss of the U.K’s charity contributions.

Then they will hold a referendum to exit this so- called union in a few years time. How will you feel then?

If you think the Finns would leave the EU you know little of their history.

BTW, we should send the NUT there to learn how to teach!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I hear that the Finnish people are also becoming sick of the E.U. They will have to contribute more money to make up for the loss of the U.K’s charity contributions.

Then they will hold a referendum to exit this so- called union in a few years time. How will you feel then?

Facts?

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countries/member-countries/finland_en

Finland's history ensures tight coupling with the EU

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Facts?

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countries/member-countries/finland_en

Finland's history ensures tight coupling with the EU

Yes real nice people the Fins

“The researchers said they were shocked by the high ranking of Finland. They found it difficult to believe that there can be so much racism in a welfare state such as Finland.”

http://www.helsinkitimes.fi/finland/finland-news/domestic/15191-finland-one-of-most-discriminatory-countries-in-eu-shows-survey.html

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, aright said:

When you applied to join this forum did you tell them you had previous?

Come on, don't keep me waiting, be a good sport and explain your joke.

It's a bricklayers joke, isn't it?

I bet you are really good at bricklayers jokes.

Did you know this one?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Grouse said:

If you think the Finns would leave the EU you know little of their history.

BTW, we should send the NUT there to learn how to teach!

"And stop all your geriatrics leaching off the Spanish and French health systems!"

I don't think I'd like this charmer teaching my children.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, oldhippy said:

It will not improve by remaining.

Europe does not involve itself with cultural differences between members.

The UK poor will just have to stop accepting the hiso loso division of their country.

I'm open to suggestions on that

23 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

After 44 years in the EU we have less social justice. 

It appears to have trickled upwards.

And what makes you think that the EU is to blame for that?

Could it be that your hiso have brainwashed the loso to be so patriotic that they put "the country" before the majority of the people?

Was the House of Lords invented by the EU?

(apologies to Palin):

How did they become Lords?

I will tell you how they became Lords.

By hanging on to outdated dogmas that perpetuate the social and economic exploitation of the working masses.

That's how they became Lords.

http://mzonline.com/bin/view/Python/HolyGrailScene3/

Edited by oldhippy
the original......

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Great idea! I'll double check and get back to you ?

Yes, I'll have a large one, please. with a drop of holy water, a pinch of salt and a packet of reality and vinegar crisps......:smile:

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

In words of less than one syllable 

Grouse ...real... please

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: This is the complete drivel I was referring to:

"Do you want a constitution written by the army top or no constitution at all?

May sound familiar.....

Do you live in Thailand? Or only reside on a Thai forum?

I just can't see how this relates to May, Brexit, ready, steady, go or even tough talks.

You just like confusing me more and more...don't you....a right little tease aren't you!

7 hours ago, aright said:

Polls are funny things aren't they. A recent poll showing the majority want to stay in the EU is met with calls for another referendum, the less publicised poll that Jeremy Corbyn is now ahead of Therese May in electoral terms is not met by the same people with calls for an election. The Security of Silence. 

Apples and pears.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Grouse said:

And who do you blame for that?

Other EU countries do not suffer the same affliction now do they? You think they're picking on us? Of course not.

No, but they are robbing us of sovereignty and cash.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

And what makes you think that the EU is to blame for that?

Could it be that your hiso have brainwashed the loso to be so patriotic that they put "the country" before the majority of the people?

Was the House of Lords invented by the EU?

(apologies to Palin):

How did they become Lords?

I will tell you how they became Lords.

By hanging on to outdated dogmas that perpetuate the social and economic exploitation of the working masses.

That's how they became Lords.

http://mzonline.com/bin/view/Python/HolyGrailScene3/

Grouse imagine that social justice will trickle down to us if we remain.  I was merely pointing out that in 44 years it has become worse.  I agree totally that we are exploited by our lords and masters.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Britain maintains an opposition culture with a long history. Blockage on social issues In 1984 Thatcher negotiated the British rebate ("I want my money back"), with which the United Kingdom gets back 66% of its net contribution to the EU. The British are still not a member of the Schengen Agreement, they vehemently block a financial transaction tax and just because the islanders (and the Czech Republic) did not want to join, the fiscal pact outside the EU structures had to be signed. So far, so well known. However, it is less well known which social policies were not supported by the British. When ex-EU Commission President Jacques Delors stated in the mid-1990s that the common internal market must also take the social dimension into account, various minimum standards were introduced in the EU: Great Britain in particular had a great need for improvement, such as maternity protection or parental leave. However, the British did not agree. At the beginning of the 1990s Britain - with the Conservatives in power - locked itself as the only country against the implementation of a "social charter". This laid down non-binding fundamental workers' rights, such as vacation entitlement and a right to leisure and recreation. Only in the late 1990s, the Labor government under Tony Blair drew in and signed. In 1993, the EU Commission drafted the Working Time Directive, which, in addition to other safeguards, required a maximum working time of 48 hours per week. Most of the countries already had higher regulations and voted in favor of the reform. Great Britain, on the other hand, had no upper limit and wanted to block the draft. However, the Commission invoked the area of health and safety, which allowed the European Council to pass the law by majority vote - which then happened. The Tory government, on the other hand, complained to the European Court of Justice, but the latter did not share the reservations. In 1998, Great Britain followed Labor under Labor and passed labor laws, but these provide all sorts of loopholes for working more than 48 hours a week. The average working time in the UK is higher than in most other EU countries, there is a culture of overtime, and almost half of all managers do unpaid extra work one day a week.

Thats a big post, but is it about distribution of wealth, opportunities, and privileges within a society, ie. social justice?

14 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Thats a big post, but is it about distribution of wealth, opportunities, and privileges within a society, ie. social justice?

To put it more simply: In the past 30 years, uk politicians in particular have blocked progress on social justice in the EU.

To blame the EU for social injustice in the UK is simply wrong.

And you know that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nauseus said:

The result of any referendum is determined by the highest number of (yes or no) grouped responses to the question asked. 

Very good English but what is your point?

The brexit referendum was an "either" "or" choice. If people weren't happy with the choice, they wouldn't have voted at all, rendering the referendum result worthless. The referendum had the second-largest voting turnout in several decades, which tells us that pretty-much everyone who has a proclivity to vote did so. That makes the result completely, 100% valid.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nauseus said:

This is the complete drivel I was referring to:

"Do you want a constitution written by the army top or no constitution at all?

May sound familiar.....

If your'e buying, mine's a Stoli on the rocks and the wife will have a Bombay tonic, very kind of you!

My hero is David Cameron :smile: BLESS!

Any comparison with Thai junta behaviour is better-suited to the brexit argument: a democratic vote brings about a result that the Establishment don't like, so they set about undermining it by fermenting strife and confusion (and they never have any problems finding plenty of 'useful idiots' to do their groundwork). They then argue that said democratic result is, er, creating strife and confusion and needs to be overturned!

2 hours ago, Khun Han said:

The brexit referendum was an "either" "or" choice. If people weren't happy with the choice, they wouldn't have voted at all, rendering the referendum result worthless. The referendum had the second-largest voting turnout in several decades, which tells us that pretty-much everyone who has a proclivity to vote did so. That makes the result completely, 100% valid.

Until the next vote. 

1 hour ago, aright said:

I had a word with Therese this morning. I thought you might like to hear what she said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/16/getting-job-brexit-will-not-derailed/

You might want to have a word with certain Hard Brexiteers on this thread who now consider Theresa May a traitor for making a deal on part 1 with the EU

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Any comparison with Thai junta behaviour is better-suited to the brexit argument: a democratic vote brings about a result that the Establishment don't like, so they set about undermining it by fermenting strife and confusion (and they never have any problems finding plenty  of 'useful idiots' to do their groundwork). They then argue that said democratic result is, er, creating strife and confusion and needs to be overturned!

The fundamental confusion in the Hard Brexiteer case is that they confuse Brexit with the form of Brexit. They conflate the two. Now their position is exposed with Theresa May committed to completing Brexit but at the same time negotiating the form that Brexit takes and managing to complete the first hurdle with a chance of getting a second stage result without crashing out. That just leaves certain Hard Brexiteers now wanting Theresa May out in favour of a PM committed to a car crash exit. And rolling out the bombastic statements for the mood music.

• Like 2

I hear that the Finnish people are also becoming sick of the E.U. They will have to contribute more money to make up for the loss of the U.K’s charity contributions. Then they will hold a referendum to exit this so- called union in a few years time. How will you feel then?

Evidence please that they will hold a referendum to exit. 

Is this the same rumour that said the Eurozone was going to crash and burn ?

That the countries of the EU would be easily picked apart in any negotiation with the UK on leaving ?

That you'd be free trading with the world by now and prosperity was just around the corner?

Good luck with that.

• Like 2