May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I find it more than amusing that you need to keep pointing out how intelligent you are (and of course, those that agree with you) :laugh:.

I answered the point re. the poor and uneducated - but clearly it's important to keep referring to the "uneducated - rather than the poor with an entirely different outlook on life.... 

I am merely relating my own experience. These days one generally has to rely upon brain power rather than the breadth of one's back. Of course there are exceptions as one would expect. Civilised societies may be measured according to how they provide for the underprivileged. I don't necessarily think we should blindly accept their point of view though ?

8 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

If you research the company who came up with this report have a vested interest in the UK keeping in the EU and also said that the UK would be in a deep recession straight after the referendum result. Possible George Osborne works for them.:smile:

That would be DExEU

31 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

If you research the company who came up with this report have a vested interest in the UK keeping in the EU and also said that the UK would be in a deep recession straight after the referendum result. Possible George Osborne works for them.:smile:

Which company? I am referring to the report prepared by the government - are they outsourcing internal reports now?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nontabury said:

I think you’ll find this analysis was compiled by the same treasury bureaucrats who failed to see any problems in 2008, and then went on to predict all sorts of catastrophies should the British electorate democratically vote to leave this so called union. Time for you to look out of the box. 

Just ask yourself  “why don’t the Brussels bureaucrats want us to leave the E.U.

could it be 

1/ They will miss our charitable contributions.

2/ They are afraid that a free U.K will be a success, and therefore encourage other  country to quickly abandon, this flawed and sinking ship.

Were there actual names attached to the Buzzfeed report or are you lumping all treasury officials as having the same intellectual qualities?

As for looking outside the box - why not ask  yourself why the biggest media owners / tax avoiders in the UK were so vehemently supportive of Brexit? 

Brexit lying tax avoiders should be strung up.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

Now, can we debate the valid points I raised? Cheers!

IMG_1933.JPG

I don't believe anybody could eat 5 of those Bratwursts(?) in a single sitting. Clear evidence that the EU doesn't know what it is doing, unlike a future UK government led by Boris Johnson, David Davis and Jacob Rees-Mogg who would  valiantly fight in defence of the British Sausage and a Blue Passport.

34 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Were there actual names attached to the Buzzfeed report or are you lumping all treasury officials as having the same intellectual qualities?

As for looking outside the box - why not ask  yourself why the biggest media owners / tax avoiders in the UK were so vehemently supportive of Brexit? 

Brexit lying tax avoiders should be strung up.png

Q1/ Yes

Q2/ Are you referring to these, or the likes of the Kinnocks and Heseltine.

7BC627A3-15CA-4D52-B02A-7B5DBBCFEFD6.jpeg

Edited by nontabury
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I don't believe anybody could eat 5 of those Bratwursts(?) in a single sitting. Clear evidence that the EU doesn't know what it is doing, unlike a future UK government led by Boris Johnson, David Davis and Jacob Rees-Mogg who would  valiantly fight in defence of the British Sausage and a Blue Passport.

1 minute ago, aright said:

If there's any fighting to be done I'm sure you will be standing behind some one.

One should add that the typical Tory Hard Brexiteer idea of that right now is standing behind Theresa May's back with a dagger ready to politically stick it to her.

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

One should add that the typical Tory Hard Brexiteer idea of that right now is standing behind Theresa May's back with a dagger ready to politically stick it to her.

I take very little notice of your predictions. As I recall you said the dagger would be plunged in June of last year.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

You are now linking eating 5 German sausages to the UK government. If that was meant to be humour then you failed miserably. The Germans are not famous for their humour and I would also say neither are you. Hopefully a future UK Government would ban the Bratwurst, as it is a poor comparison to the good old British sausage. Yes please I await you shouting me down for being a little Englander. Now if that was a Frikadella I might agree.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You are now linking eating 5 German sausages to the UK government. If that was meant to be humour then you failed miserably. The Germans are not famous for their humour and I would also say neither are you. Hopefully a future UK Government would ban the Bratwurst, as it is a poor comparison to the good old British sausage. Yes please I await you shouting me down for being a little Englander. Now if that was a Frikadella I might agree.

Ban the Bratwurst! Maybe some future UK government could set up a series of filters around the length of the entire UK borders to filter out any non-British goods and prevent them from entering, thus stopping such things from diluting or harming UK purity!

Edited by simoh1490

29 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Ban the Bratwurst! Maybe some future UK government could set up a series of filters around the length of the entire UK borders to filter out any non-British goods and prevent them from entering, thus stopping such things from diluting or harming UK purity!

Would it stop at totally encompassing UK borders though. There is a risk the UK's constituent governments might then set up their own border controls to stop the crossing of goods services and cultural contamination. I would be against that because I have always maintained the best thing to come out of Scotland is the road to England :smile::smile: 

Edited by aright

5 minutes ago, aright said:

Would it stop at totally encompassing UK borders though. There is a risk the UK's constituent governments might then set up their own border controls to stop the crossing of goods services and cultural contamination. I would be against that because I have always maintained the best thing to come out of Scotland is the road to England :smile::smile: 

Indeed, we could have borders around Scotland England and Wales, then around each county.  The sale of such things as Cornish Pasties outside of Cornwall would require trade agreements between the various counties and an inter-county Customs function established. Counties wishing to leave such agreements and buy alternate cheaper pasties elsewhere must first hold a referendum to confirm the wishes of the people and the results must be respected. And so on and so on, and where does it end!

17 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Many years ago, I was backpacking in NZ and noticed "Belgian Wurst" in the supermarket.

I am Belgian and had never heard of it, so I asked about it.

Simple explaination: after WW2 the popular "German Wurst" had been renamed "Belgian Wurst".

So maybe something similar could be done by the UK government too, would that not be a sensational "make the UK great again" achievement, a par with the blue passport? And you guys don't have to stop there! There is also Polish Wurst, French letters, Battenberg, dieu et mon droit, etc.

That Jacob Ree Smugg would be the perfect person to be put in charge of these linguistic changes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

I think you’ll find this analysis was compiled by the same treasury bureaucrats who failed to see any problems in 2008, and then went on to predict all sorts of catastrophies should the British electorate democratically vote to leave this so called union. Time for you to look out of the box. 

Just ask yourself  “why don’t the Brussels bureaucrats want us to leave the E.U.

could it be 

1/ They will miss our charitable contributions.

2/ They are afraid that a free U.K will be a success, and therefore encourage other  country to quickly abandon, this flawed and sinking ship.

F724268D-9C62-4ACE-842A-31A7284A7A3D.jpeg

I think you'd like to be able to draw a firm connection between the authors of project fear and those of this latest report, but you haven't, as things stand we only see your very strong desire for it to be seen so!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

Many years ago, I was backpacking in NZ and noticed "Belgian Wurst" in the supermarket.

Simple explaination: after WW2 the popular "German Wurst" had been renamed "Belgian Wurst".

So maybe something similar could be done by the UK government too, would that not be a sensational "make the UK great again" achievement, a par with the blue passport? And you guys don't have to stop there! There is also Polish Wurst, French letters, Battenberg, dieu et mon droit, etc.

That Jacob Ree Smugg would be the perfect person to be put in charge of these linguistic changes.

Such is war, it brings out the wurst in people.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

Q1/ Yes

Q2/ Are you referring to these, or the likes of the Kinnocks and Heseltine.

7BC627A3-15CA-4D52-B02A-7B5DBBCFEFD6.jpeg

1) I don;t think you actually read the question - is the author of the Government analysis named, and can he be traced to some particular failure of 2008?

2) Whataboutery at its worst. I am no fanboy of the people you mention - are you as eager as me for Arron Banks, the Rothermere boy, The Barclay brothers etc,  to face a comparable tax bill to the decent working class people of the country, and to have their offshore bank accounts taxed appropriately, preferably retroactively?

2 hours ago, aright said:

I take very little notice of your predictions. As I recall you said the dagger would be plunged in June of last year.

As I recall, Brexiteer in Chief, the late SgtRock, predicted Deutche Bank would be bankrupt by last April and that the EU would implode by mid year, under the weight of the banks debt, which said CIC estimated to be in the quadrillions. Why do I raise this point you may well ask - merely to point out that "experts" on both sides, sometimes get things wrong.

• Like 1

Foggy says Treasury 'fiddling figures' on Brexit... :cheesy:

Prominent Brexiteer Jacob Rees-Mogg has accused Treasury officials of "fiddling the figures" on Brexit to keep the UK in the European Union customs union.

It comes amid claims, which the Treasury has denied, that it had deliberately created an economic model that made all other options look bad.

Conservative Mr Rees-Mogg said the forecast was "politically advantageous" for the Treasury.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42929071

Truth is Brexiteers have a problem facing reality...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I have no doubt you're right - but to look on the bright side, I gather May is standing firm on  'open borders' closing at the end of the article 50 period?

That is an easy one as there are no 'open borders', all entry to the UK is under border control so there is nothing to close.

What you really mean is to restrict the movement of non UK citizens from the EU, you need to get the terminology right, after all it is a contentious subject on this forum.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Many seem to be unaware that the protected names scheme which is administered by the EU could fall apart after brexit. Some see it as an opportunity to copy protected names such as Champagne, but by the same token the UK could be flooded with fake Cornish pasties and Stilton.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Nurnburger Wurstlen with rosti opposite Raffles. The Lowenbrau was sublime

5 hours ago, aright said:

Can you please explain to me in simple terms ( I don't have as many degrees as you) and without using your "intellectually bullying" voice how being in a customs union is compatible with having an independent trade policy? :smile:

We have to be outside of any Customs Union to take advantage of growing markets. One of the reasons we are leaving the European Union is to take control and that’s not possible with a common external tariff.

If I can quote our Salvationist JRM a man whose intellect is proof positive intelligent people voted for Brexit.

"A vote for the Customs Union is a vote to make people poor. It is the path to oblivion, it is rolling out the red carpet for Jeremy Corbyn."

Corbyn is anti Brexit

We can trade with any country on great terms as a member of the EU.

What makes you think better deals can be negotiated than can be achieved by a club of 500M?

You think all other EU members are poor? 

Non tariff barriers are great for retaining jobs in the EU

I tell you this, I wouldn't want to live like the Americans!

As for JRM, member for the Edwardians, how many kids does he have so far today? Hardly an example to us.

Finally, I recommend you stay well clear of anything to do with statistics, probabilities, correlations, standard deviations or  causation as your comments are laughable. Where did I say that there were no intelligent Brexiters? Plenty of bright people see a chance to make a fortune through unfettered exploitation. Intelligent, educated and greedy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

As I recall, Brexiteer in Chief, the late SgtRock, predicted Deutche Bank would be bankrupt by last April and that the EU would implode by mid year, under the weight of the banks debt, which said CIC estimated to be in the quadrillions. Why do I raise this point you may well ask - merely to point out that "experts" on both sides, sometimes get things wrong.

Sgt Rock may only be wrong about the timing!

http://www.cityam.com/279951/deutsche-bank-posts-third-annual-loss-row-after-us-tax-hit

I am sure your crude naïve unexpert opinion on Deutche Bank's  woes  would be welcomed, not least by Deutche Bank.

59 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Nurnburger Wurstlen with rosti opposite Raffles. The Lowenbrau was sublime

Raffles Bar and Billiard Room. Probably the best bar I have ever been to. Apart from the bar on the 72nd floor of the nearby Swissotel The Stamford.