Canada walks out as EU trade talks founder

rooster59

4 hours ago, MJP said:

It got over shadowed by the Brexit vote, but Switzerland pulled its longstanding application to join the EU a couple of weeks beforehand stating in the Swiss Parliament "only a few lunatics would join the EU now".

https://www.rt.com/news/346884-switzerland-eu-membership-application-rejected/

Yes and now with the Italian Banks looking like collapsing and the German Duetshe bank having serious problems the outlook for the EU and Euro isn't rosy at all.

5 hours ago, MJP said:

It got over shadowed by the Brexit vote, but Switzerland pulled its longstanding application to join the EU a couple of weeks beforehand stating in the Swiss Parliament "only a few lunatics would join the EU now".

https://www.rt.com/news/346884-switzerland-eu-membership-application-rejected/

It's generally a good idea to read past the headlines:

"

"Switzerland’s longstanding application to join the EU has not had a significant impact on the country’s politics for more than 20 years, as its accession negotiations have been suspended since 1992 in the wake of a referendum to join the European Economic Area, when the Swiss voted down the idea of closer ties with the EU.

Some politicians even argued that the vote was an unnecessary formal procedure that didn’t make much sense as Switzerland is no longer regarded by the EU as an official candidate to join the bloc."

It's an even better idea to consider the source. RT is funded by the Russian Government. Not exactly a friend to Europe. 

What RT doesn't say is that Switzerland has over 120 bilateral agreement with the EU and has to pay for the privilege of free trade with the EU. In return for that, like Norway, it gets no say in EU governance. 

58 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

It's generally a good idea to read past the headlines:

"

"Switzerland’s longstanding application to join the EU has not had a significant impact on the country’s politics for more than 20 years, as its accession negotiations have been suspended since 1992 in the wake of a referendum to join the European Economic Area, when the Swiss voted down the idea of closer ties with the EU.

Some politicians even argued that the vote was an unnecessary formal procedure that didn’t make much sense as Switzerland is no longer regarded by the EU as an official candidate to join the bloc."

It's an even better idea to consider the source. RT is funded by the Russian Government. Not exactly a friend to Europe. 

What RT doesn't say is that Switzerland has over 120 bilateral agreement with the EU and has to pay for the privilege of free trade with the EU. In return for that, like Norway, it gets no say in EU governance. 

I'm sure you were attempting to make a point.............what was it exactly

The sooner the UK gets out of the EU the better, the first error I have seen so far from the British PM was making a statement about the date of when they would file article 50.........why wait until March, Sterling is being heavily manipulated by scrupulous people and they have been given a clear cut off point to continue - TM should never have made that statement or she could have made it in such a way that indicated that Article 50 would be filed before April 2017 which would have left it open, I was of the opinion to wait but now I have changed my mind and believe it should be done ASAP, I suppose in reality there is nothing set in stone and it could be filed next week 

1 hour ago, smedly said:

I'm sure you were attempting to make a point.............what was it exactly

The sooner the UK gets out of the EU the better, the first error I have seen so far from the British PM was making a statement about the date of when they would file article 50.........why wait until March, Sterling is being heavily manipulated by scrupulous people and they have been given a clear cut off point to continue - TM should never have made that statement or she could have made it in such a way that indicated that Article 50 would be filed before April 2017 which would have left it open, I was of the opinion to wait but now I have changed my mind and believe it should be done ASAP, I suppose in reality there is nothing set in stone and it could be filed next week 

I thought the point was fairly obvious. If all you read was this article, you'd never know that Switzerland actually paid for the privilege having access to the trade zone. And you wouldn't know just how heavily it's economy is intertwined with the EU's..

As for conspiracy theories about currency manipulation or immigration or anything else, these are the refuge of people whose prediction were wrong and just can't accept it. It has to be the fault of someone else.  Someone in the shadows. No hard evidence but it just has to be because how could it be otherwise.

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

As for conspiracy theories about currency manipulation 

lol, conspiracy - I excuse that comment if you were 12 years old but I somehow doubt it

Everyone on the planet (except you it seems) knows exactly what goes on in the markets and has been going on for decades - it is no conspiracy

go back to sleep

and they did land on the moon lol