Students on Facebook

Johnniey

I have a friend  who says that his 12 year old daughter has facebook friends from her school.

The problem, as I see it, is that they are older farang men.

Can anyone tell me the appropriateness, or lack of, in this situation?

Who would be the appropriate authorities to report this to -  headteacher, police?

Surely in the US or UK, this would not be allowed?

Not only is it a very bad idea but also inappropriate as a teacher and can and does, lead to teachers being scrutinized unjustifyably. Family photos with you and family or friends on a night out, can easily be misinterpreted that you are 'party animal. The best practice and school policy for teachers and Heads should be to have a no pupils as facebook friends and friend requests should not be allowed. There have been more than a few teachers in the UK sacked due to facebook, so although some may feel it is a bit totalitarian, it is in the teachers best interests, as well as pupils.

A lot of the Thai teachers have students as friends on facebook.   I agree it's not a good idea.   We did have one teacher who set up a facebook page for all the students he taught.   It was pretty nice, as they could get help with homework, chat in English and even submit homework.  

I remreembet some of the female teachers giving their teenage students their mobile numbers...I thought, that was idiotic, inappropriate, and not helpful to anyone.  The same ones who constantly beech about the long hours and lack of free time they have...and have you ever noticed that a lot of the female teachers love to do stuff that the male teachers would be called out on?

Inappropriate? Yes, at least for those of us in the profession.  I will only make friends with my students on social media after they have left my care. (and I am responsible for 16-18 year olds).

Who should you report it to? No one.  Nothing wrong has been done in so far as it goes, as inappropriate as it may seem to the rest of us.

On 10/25/2016 at 9:39 AM, Scott said:

A lot of the Thai teachers have students as friends on facebook.   I agree it's not a good idea.   We did have one teacher who set up a facebook page for all the students he taught.   It was pretty nice, as they could get help with homework, chat in English and even submit homework.  

I set up a group and put them in that. They don't have to be on your friends list. I have one as a friend and use that student to invite the rest into the group. That friend can then be unfriended. The group is solely used for teaching - giving information, links to websites, videos, giving worksheets etc. I've also used edmodo. I have several past students on my list as friends, but no students i currently teach.  

23 minutes ago, samsensam said:

why would an adult want to be friends with a child?

Theres nothing wrong with it if its a normal interactio. 

But the pedos have ruined it....it has become somewhat awkward thanks to their efforts. 

I like kids since they are great fun to talk to....but i restrict it to a brief smile and a hi. 

Darn pedos. 

For the vast majority of adults they would be fine being alone with a student for tutoring or other school matters.  But, like you said the pedos ruined it...so now just make sure the door is open and you don't let them in your house or car.  I think the schools have made rules on this kind of stuff, because they are tired of settling lawsuits.  And let's not forget about false accusations.  Appearances are everything, and if you've spent more than a few weeks here, you know how the Thais are big with gossip...would make my mom's friends at the Baptist Church blush.  Protect yourself, protect your students, and protect your co-workers.  I've attended seminars on this matter, and at the end you sign something stating that you acknowledge failure to report abuse (as an educator) is a crime in itself.  What we learned was that most cases involve males, and a disproportionate amount of times it involves "specialty teachers" or coaches, who have close contact with students and are more likely to be alone with a student.  It is also evident that many cases involve teachers, who are former "teachers of the year," or at least very popular with the students.  I see having performance reviews based on popularity as flawed and problematic.  Respect is different than friendship.

In Australia , certain areas have a rule that any, any and any, interaction with students on "social media" will result in immediate dismissal. We aren't in Australia of course, and as has been mentioned, the pedophiles have ruined things for teachers willing to be students friend. As long as you avoid actual contact with students outside of school you are generally okay here. Saying Happy New Year etc. seems to go over well. You have no reason to meet them at Big C or Siam Paragon. You are out of order doing so. I won't even go to weekend summer camps as when I was young that was sex and drugs. 

Yes, school trips were mentioned as problematic.  A"perfect opportunity" for a teacher to consumate sexual relations with a student.  Permission slip and all...signed by the parents.

There was a popular young assistant basketball coach at my high school.  He smoked mj with a few of the players, didn't supply it.  He thought it was totally discrete, bit it seemed like all 2000 students knew about it.  Not in the same league as sexual relations, but you could easily lose your job.

Social media would be a great help in assisting students, especially with writing in English as well as quick responses to questions.  

I don't want them on my facebook account because there is just a little bit too much personal information.   It just doesn't quite seem appropriate, although, I doubt many of them would have much interest.   I think most just want friends.  

I do have a few parents of students who are facebook friends, though.   Those parents are friends in real life as well, although not close friends, but they do occasionally send messages about questions they have about their children.  

4 hours ago, Scott said:

Social media would be a great help in assisting students, especially with writing in English as well as quick responses to questions.  

I don't want them on my facebook account because there is just a little bit too much personal information.   It just doesn't quite seem appropriate, although, I doubt many of them would have much interest.   I think most just want friends.  

I do have a few parents of students who are facebook friends, though.   Those parents are friends in real life as well, although not close friends, but they do occasionally send messages about questions they have about their children.  

You make a good point about interest and interests. The teacher just isn't going to be interested in their "fun" and "humor" and likewise, the student isn't interested in things a teacher is, especially a foreigner. As long as the interaction on social media remains something you wouldn't, as the teacher, mind anyone looking at including his/her parents or law enforcement(if they can read and understand English, which is a big if, no real harm in it. OO and God Bless You. 

Archived