Curriculum Development as a part of responsibilities.......

I've been browsing the recent wave of job ads for teachers.  Generally, looking for Math(s), but I also consider other positions.  I live here on a Retirement Extension, early 50s.  What I would appreciate comments on is how much of a fuss they make in the adverts about curriculum development.  Given, lesson planning would be a part of any teaching position, but the way some of these big private Thai schools describe it; you will be expected to produce high quality media for the school, in addition to teaching 20 classes per week, keeping student records, meetings galore, sports days/camps, and of course produce your white face on demand.  It is just not clear to me why and what they actually expect.  Are they trying to say that they don't have any textbooks?  Are they just making it clear that anything you produce becomes their property?  Is this just something they will hold over you so you know that your job is never done (a wild card om getting rid of you)?  Do they really think someone teaching full time will just be able to come up with stuff that is anywhere near the quality of stuff available for free on the Internet, let alone from the multi-national education companies?  Or this because they are so prone to taking credit for others' work, that assume you will do the same.  Khun Somsuk, here is the 300 question SAT practice that I made for the school in my 17 minutes of free time before yesterday's awards ceremony......

As has been mentioned, the requests for additional "duties" will be never ending. You are much better off declining via the old fashioned way, with the statement "this is what I do for a living, and here's the price"....otherwise you will just be a puppet for the entire stay at the school. When I see new teachers taking on tasks such as gate duty and reviewing thesis papers I cringe. They simply don't know these deeds don't go unpunished. 

21 minutes ago, Mousehound said:

No different to what is asked of me when teaching in Australia.

Four years (and two Summers) at a top uni, and we never used curriculum written by the professor/instructor.  Always had at least one textbook to buy.  I'm not trying to split legal hairs, but there is a big difference in "curriculum development" and "lesson planning."  And, that was the main basis for the OP.  Do the Thai admins use the words interchangeably, or are they trying to get in on the publishing business?

1 hour ago, Mousehound said:

I agree.

The difference here is that a significant percentage of foreign EFL teachers regard work as an inconvenience. They lack professionalism and see working here as a means to finance their social life. It would be nice if Thailand got rid of these dead weights, but due to the severe shortage of EFL teachers, it's unlikely to happen any time soon, unfortunately.

19 minutes ago, Loaded said:

I agree.

The difference here is that a significant percentage of foreign EFL teachers regard work as an inconvenience. They lack professionalism and see working here as a means to finance their social life. It would be nice if Thailand got rid of these dead weights, but due to the severe shortage of EFL teachers, it's unlikely to happen any time soon, unfortunately.

Once again....since the pay is in peanuts, the teachers with professionalism and credentials simply won't be attracted. 

1 hour ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Four years (and two Summers) at a top uni, and we never used curriculum written by the professor/instructor.  Always had at least one textbook to buy.  I'm not trying to split legal hairs, but there is a big difference in "curriculum development" and "lesson planning."  And, that was the main basis for the OP.  Do the Thai admins use the words interchangeably, or are they trying to get in on the publishing business?

Is there really money to be made in the publishing of paperback books for use in Thai schools?

To me, curriculum development is an ongoing process....for a new teacher at a new school, it's almost impossible to do, because the curriculum should be tailored to the students interests / abilities, while also taking into account the government syllabus for the subject....most teachers end up 'following the book' - or whatever is given by the school. That rarely works well. I haven't found a book yet that perfectly suits my lessons or what I want to get out of the students. They should just be used as an extra resource. I've produced most of my own material that fits in with the guidelines given by the government. So I think curriculum development is essential, but it's a slow an ongoing process. 

3 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

How much were you paid? Thanks. 

In Bangkok it would be at least 50+K (a few schools pay a lot more - and I'm not referring to International schools), for normal teaching and homeroom teacher duties, including being at school the whole day.  

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:57 PM, Mousehound said:

Or the UK. Can I guess if you are from the USA? Nothing derogatory towards you but curriculum planning and no text books are common practice in the UK system now and allows for creativity and individuals showing a variety of teaching methods.  Either way you could look at it as  a positive challenge and something to embrace.

Archived