Passport details given away with new Information Forms

It's a nationwide disease the re-use of paper without thinking what's on it.

I got a form to fill at immigrations a few weeks ago with a list of names and salaries of a companies employees.

At a law office they gave me a recycled form with, just by co-incidence, my own passport on the back. Explaining them that I wasn't happy with that landed on deaf ears.

At the company where I used to work I tried to explain many times that re-used paper should never end up in customers hands and that some documents do need to be shredded. That was only implemented after they lost a customer because of the email that they read on re-used paper..

• Like 1

19 hours ago, impulse said:

Yet we'll hand our passport over to any hotel or $$$ exchange booth that asks to make a copy of it...

In Thailand, I use my Thai DL.  But in every other country

Yes, and for some things my bank makes a photo copy of my passport and the post office gets my passport information when I mail something and the pharmacy takes a gander at my passport when I buy Tramadol and hotels may make a copy of passport details or ...

And if you Google US or British or Australian passport and click on "images" a lot of passport ID pages will pop up.

passport.png

5 hours ago, Maestro said:

But you don't expect the hotel or the currency exchange booth to give the copy of your passport to other guests or customers, do you?

True, but if I were a bad guy looking for passport details, I'd be buying them in bulk from a crooked hotel or currency exchange clerk, not rummaging through a few pieces of recycled paper at immigration.

The odds that my passport information on the back of a single piece of recycled paper will be randomly picked up by a bad guy at immigration is a lot lower than the odds of my details being sold on from any of the places I willingly let them make copies.

Not that I defend the practice, but I'm not going to worry about it.  Life's too short.

13 hours ago, naboo said:

Every page of a British passport has the passport number on, though not sure how much use a passport number could be.

Without the name + other key info from the photopage, pretty useless for a potential fraudster I would have thought.

Thai government is decades behind in a lot of areas, a symptom of being saddled with risk and change averse provincial dinosaurs at the top. 

The fact our passport copies and docs wind up being re-used so carelessly is just another symptom of the wasteful, inefficient process they are unwilling to abandon fully.   It's not the line officers.  At least not mine.  She's complained quietly about their processes.  I was buoyed the first time she used a passport reader, populated my file and included a digital photo.  I thought, damn, they are virtually "right there" on the edge, waiting for a shove the rest of the way into the 21st Century.   She then smiled meekly and sent me to the mimeograph room to make a few more 3 Baht copies, followed by the clerk's hand written entry of my extension package into the official 3rd world ledger book the size of a suitcase, and subsequent transmittal to BKK via carrier pigeon.  :laugh:

Passport readers and 90 day reports on-line is a great start. Hopefully the next crop of young guns coming up through the ranks will take it to the next level so we can then bitch about (the next) IT security breaches instead of bits of paper with our details on them.

Edited by 55Jay
add "the next" :-)

Not only passport details, picture, Visa stamps copies, you all can get free,

Also the Credit Card detals of for example Visa, Master Card, Diner and so on.

for free on the back of you invoice or together with other documents since they resue all the papers

and to make the guessing easier the Credit or debit card including the cc code too.

companies, hotels other card accepting instances,as weel the banks.

and not only in Thailand, also Mayanmar, Laos, Vietnam, China too

booking services increase the change since they send all detail to the hotel or restaurant or car shop including the Credit card detail and CC code.

58 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Thai government is decades behind in a lot of areas, a symptom of being saddled with risk and change averse provincial dinosaurs at the top. 

The fact our passport copies and docs wind up being re-used so carelessly is just another symptom of the wasteful, inefficient process they are unwilling to abandon fully.   It's not the line officers.  At least not mine.  She's complained quietly about their processes.  I was buoyed the first time she used a passport reader, populated my file and included a digital photo.  I thought, damn, they are virtually "right there" on the edge, waiting for a shove the rest of the way into the 21st Century.   She then smiled meekly and sent me to the mimeograph room to make a few more 3 Baht copies, followed by the clerk's hand written entry of my extension package into the official 3rd world ledger book the size of a suitcase, and subsequent transmittal to BKK via carrier pigeon.  :laugh:

Passport readers and 90 day reports on-line is a great start. Hopefully the next crop of young guns coming up through the ranks will take it to the next level so we can then bitch about (the next) IT security breaches instead of bits of paper with our details on them.

Hmm is seem to be you have never seen the Information they have about you,

When they only use the passport number or even your departure card number. You will be very surprised what they all know about you.

The land of the smile never forget that. You are speaking about professionals who are working when you meet then. You know officers are smart, well trained and use things to make you feel good and see your reaction and check you.

So next time when you meet people at work doing their job.....

3 hours ago, Autonuaq said:

Hmm is seem to be you have never seen the Information they have about you,

When they only use the passport number or even your departure card number. You will be very surprised what they all know about you.

The land of the smile never forget that. You are speaking about professionals who are working when you meet then. You know officers are smart, well trained and use things to make you feel good and see your reaction and check you.

So next time when you meet people at work doing their job.....

Hmm, seems to me you have no idea about me and my background, but thanks for the tip.  LOL.