Six school kids cram onto one tiny moped without helmets on their way to class

webfact

Six school kids cram onto one tiny moped without helmets on their way to class

BY PATRICK LION , NICK YORKE

mb.jpg

Video screenshot

THAILAND: -- Six young schoolchildren have shocked fellow motorists after piling on to the back of a tiny moped in bus traffic.

A teenage boy sits at front to ride the bike and has two tiny girls crammed into the space in front of him.

Two girls sit on the seat behind him while a sixth lad stands on the back of the 50cc scooter - all of them carrying their school rucksacks.

Full story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/six-school-kids-cram-onto-9205288

-- Mirror 2016-11-07

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back when I had a bike in Thailand (no license plates or registration), this was commonplace.  I did have a lifetime driver's license (wonder what happened to that?).  One time, a kid at a police checkpoint accused me of stealing his bike.  Cops never paid any attention to him.  I think he was an Indian, so white man ruled.  Or maybe because I had a Govt. ID from the Land Development Dept.

However, one farang without a helmet will have to pay a fine every time.

Is that  because the police hold the lives and safety of farangs to be more valuable that those of Thais?  It couldn't be a matter of money over safety...Could it?

Edited by jaltsc

19 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

Years ago on a visit, we'd send 2 kids down the street on a mini-bike to buy cold beer.  Everyone knew everyone, so it was cool.

If anything had happened would it have been so cool and would anyone have taken responsibility ? 

I reckon they don't get stopped as no tea money to be gained . I've been stopped any number of times for nothing, all legal and above board but told I was breaking some law or other and money demanded. A few times I just said "sorry no speak Thai can you explain in English pleas", then just got waved on. 1 time I was pulled over and had the Mrs with me , I said" tell him ( the police man who'd stopped me ) if he wants to make an issue then we will go to the station and see his superior, and if that doesn't straighten it out then we will go to the British consulate" he waved me on, 100 meters down the road  I said "see , if you stand up to them they will back down" my wife replied," I told him it was your first time driving in Thailand that's why he let you go". A few days later stopped again on the same highway , this time a road block with about 8 or 9 policemen, as I pulled over some idiot in a new Hilux came charging past me , his wing mirror hit a police man and knocked him to the ground, they then pulled guns out , the Hilux driver pulled over and they waved me off. They didn't seem to be stopping kids on bikes only ferang and thais that were driving expensive cars ,after tea money I reckon.

12 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

If anything had happened would it have been so cool and would anyone have taken responsibility ? 

I think he'd of been pissed off rather than pissed if the beer got smashed, I would too.

Came off my MTB once whilst carrying a takeaway, I slapped off the floor and a driver got out to ask if I was OK.

"Don't worry about me, my chow mein is leaking"

36 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Yes, we would take responsibility.  One was my niece who was driving.  The other one was my first-born son. It was about a quarter mile up an alley and around a corner. 

Back in the day, we could trust people to a degree.

Edited by Damrongsak

I am surprised we haven't had anyone to try and defend this as Thai culture and if you can't accept it go home. Luckily so far we haven't, as anyone with any sense knows this is dangerous, unacceptable and about time this practice stopped for the health of the people and nation in general.

Yes WE do what about the parents and the teachers who welcome them at the school gates ?

My mate was married to a teacher here. One day she tells him she's going to be late home, as the police will be giving a talk to the teachers about the law. He says "You mean like not letting the kids drive motorbikes to school?"
She gives him the look, and says "Don't be stupid, how will they get to school?"

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Moped? Where is the Moped? What is it with you Brits and calling a motorcycle a Moped? A Moped is a Motorized pedal bike. That is where Mo and Ped come from. Wikpedia: Strictly speaking, mopeds are driven by both an engine and by bicycle pedals, but in common usage and in many jurisdictions the term moped is used for similar vehicles including a scooter, though this is quite erroneous.

Moped? Where is the Moped? What is it with you Brits and calling a motorcycle a Moped? A Moped is a Motorized pedal bike. That is where Mo and Ped come from. Wikpedia: Strictly speaking, mopeds are driven by both an engine and by bicycle pedals, but in common usage and in many jurisdictions the term moped is used for similar vehicles including a scooter, though this is quite erroneous.

Erroneous ya say, that's a good word for a Monday morning.

Cheers.

7 minutes ago, simon43 said:

What a redneck you are!

You do realise that there are hundreds of words that have different definitions in British English and American English?

OTOH, he's right.