Wear Correct Dress to Land Transportation Office

Banana7

I was at the Pattaya Land Transportation Office yesterday. You have to dress appropriately to get service. Attached is a photo of a sign in the parking lot showing prohibited dress.

Service for road tax payment (license plate) ends at 15:30.

LTOpattaya.jpg

Smart clean shorts are fine with a clean teeshirt.

It doesn't usually help. if you look like you've just walked off the beach in swimsuit shorts & singlet.

I wore a pair of chino shorts with a linen tshirt on my last visit

Edited by SidJames

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I guess they weren't impressed with the legions of Russian applicants. Pity they can't do the same at Jomtien Soi 5.

Think it would be ok if they just put on some deodorant..

but they don't see it like that,   it's just wasting   money to them ,

and  soap as well for that matter.

Smart clean shorts are fine with a clean teeshirt.
It doesn't usually help. if you look like you've just walked off the beach in swimsuit shorts & singlet.
I wore a pair of chino shorts with a linen tshirt on my last visit

You're a bit of dapper dresser Sid[emoji106] !

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I wonder if this has something to do with the mourning period?

I have never worn anything other than shorts to go anywhere in Thailand and have never had any trouble.

No, nothing new about the mourning period (no black required).

Dress code has been published and required at misc. offices/occasions.

Most prominent is Chaeng Wattana immigration. Like this from Oct 2015:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/861471-bangkok-immigration-announces-new-dress-code/

Shorts: personally I always wear long trousers for office visits.

But with shorts they seem to mean something like "trunks"/"gym trousers".

"Bermuda"/"over the knee" will not lead to raising eyebrows.

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I guess they weren't impressed with the legions of Russian applicants. Pity they can't do the same at Jomtien Soi 5.

Problem with Soi 5 is that it is prone to flooding. My normal dress is smart shorts / Tshirt with flip flops (sorry!). The only time I did dress up with trousers/shirt/shoes it absolutely poured down (about 18mths back) with the car park quickly flooding and Soi 5 turning into a torrent of water. Waited for about 20/30 mins as it eased off a bit but still had to wade through knee height water with Soi 5 still in torrent mode.

Never again - unless it becomes mandatory.  

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Shorts: personally I always wear long trousers for office visits.

I only own one pair of trousers and they no longer fit me. I bought them around 8 years ago and since then I have gained a few kilos, which I am losing. If I wait long enough I may be able to get into them again.

11 hours ago, digbeth said:

Why aren't there 'connected' entrepreneurs renting out pants and shirts just outside the gate? you see them at temples renting out sarong and shirts to cover up
Would be a nice earner for them 

Across he street in the small shops there is at least one shop renting cloths for the period needed.  I had to rent a pair of blue jeans.  I think it was about 50 thb.

7 hours ago, balo said:

I wonder when they put up that sign ? It was not there 2 months ago . 

A sign stating this has been there since the day the DLT office moved from Sukhumvit road in Banglamung!

It is quite normal etiquette to go to any Government office building in long trousers etc. wouldn't exactly hurt to comply :smile:

For the photo part, they do actually have shirts that they let folks wear for the photo.

On 11/11/2559 at 0:29 AM, KittenKong said:

I only own one pair of trousers and they no longer fit me. I bought them around 8 years ago and since then I have gained a few kilos, which I am losing. If I wait long enough I may be able to get into them again.

We must be twins - separated at birth !        :cheesy:

I was just at Chaeng Wattana in Bangkok.  It's the big government office complex.  Saw plenty of people in shorts, farang and Thai.

Dress nice, good shorts, and you'll be fine.  Like my good friend says, I didn't move to Thailand to wear long pants and shoes! 

Apologies, Raro!!!! LOL  But you do always look good!

19 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I was just at Chaeng Wattana in Bangkok.  It's the big government office complex.  Saw plenty of people in shorts, farang and Thai.

Dress nice, good shorts, and you'll be fine.  Like my good friend says, I didn't move to Thailand to wear long pants and shoes! 

Apologies, Raro!!!! LOL  But you do always look good!

My former boss invited me and a Dutch colleague to a hi-so brunch in Pattaya a while ago. He explicitly said "smart casual" in his text message. Knowing that he wears rather formal at the office, me and the Dutch guy showed up in decent jeans, office shirt and black shoes. Boss comes in shorts, tennis shoes, polo shirt. When we saw him walking in the Dutch guy and me looked at each other and one of us uttered the words "spot the yank" :D

1 hour ago, raro said:

My former boss invited me and a Dutch colleague to a hi-so brunch in Pattaya a while ago. He explicitly said "smart casual" in his text message. Knowing that he wears rather formal at the office, me and the Dutch guy showed up in decent jeans, office shirt and black shoes. Boss comes in shorts, tennis shoes, polo shirt. When we saw him walking in the Dutch guy and me looked at each other and one of us uttered the words "spot the yank" :D

I'd guess a majority of the retirees here wear shorts, nationality aside.