Gotcha - drunk minivan driven pinned down after scary journey with 13 passengers

webfact

9 hours ago, tattoodrob said:

Its like winning the lottery getting a safe minivan driver...doesnt happen very often and odds very much against you......im sure they think they are in a grand prix or do they get a bonus for how many cars they overtake per trip?? I will never understand why they drive so stupid,i dont care so much if they were on there own but they have the lives of others in there control...thats scary shit.......i hate going in the vans and there quite uncomfortable when full!!!

I regularly take a minivan from my village in Phicht province, the guy who runs the company is one of my neighbours, and I have been using him for more than ten years. I have to say not once has any of the drivers ever given me any cause for concern.

It may be in the minority, but there are some safe mini bus companies.

1 minute ago, slappy said:

"drunk minivan driven" 

How do you get a minivan drunk???

Just change the gasoline, gasohol or what ever it runs on. That would do it just fine. Now we know that it was something wrong with the aircon system in the van, so the driver got drunk out of the air. Case closed. LOL

Edited by Get Real

Just now, gr8fldanielle said:

13 terrified passengers and only one, a soldier had the good sense to call the police?

Seems like better to risk dying rather than risk being embarrassed or holding people up. :saai:

Just nice that somebody did something. Many time it´s 0 out of 100. "I didn´t see nothing" 

2 hours ago, dieseldave1951 said:

I came back to Cha-am yesterday and the driver was so tired or pissed or both he had to keep counting his takings and reading some sort of receipt which was on the dash board countless times,

i watched his eyes,!! sleepy nodded of twice, i have to say i was terrified, nearly ended up in the back of a Fortuner RV, i did not have my camera and was sitting just behind him, to the left,

my wife just to scared of taking pictures because he had a uniform,

it seems Thais are scared of anyone with a uniform here

If i ever have to use this deadly service i will look only for government run buses,  not these could'ent car less drivers where money come first.

lastly i got out of this bus in Phetchaburi as my nerves could'ent stand anymore and i am not easily frightened and waited for another,

and this driver hopefully it was him.

Why get in in the first place.Plenty of buses going that way.When will farangs wake up?

41 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

I used one of these suicide vans last week after swearing never to do so again.

The guy driving was a bit crazy, to fast and stupid overtaking as the norm for these maniacs.

I went from BK to Hua Hin and was a bit dismayed that after going to Victory area that the Vans are now at south BK bus station.

After a Taxi there I thought that - hey they at least look more organised from here.

Now only if the PM could straighten out the drivers as well they may become safe, but as for now there was no falangs and only Thai customers at south BK terminal. 

How many deaths does it take to wake up the road authorities in this country , stupid question.

So your at a bus station and still take  mini van,after swearing never to do it again!!!

Right,well done RTB for blocking this drunken miscreant and possibly saving the lives of the passengers.But what happened next? Who drove the bus to its destination? I bet the copper didnt(no money in it for them) or did the brave soldier,rip off his shirt to expose his 'Superman' insignia beneath,and drive the bus dropping off the passengers on the way?

my hero:402::kiss01::wub:

54 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

My wife told me that Thai's don't dare say anything as the driver might go even faster.

Every couple of months we used to have a day out to Udon, and hire a minibus between us.

We were regularly asking the driver to slow down, which he did for about 15 minutes, but then he would go even faster, to make up for the time lost whilst driving lower at our request.

The crazy thing was, he was in no rush, as we had hired his services for the full day.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:06 AM, trogers said:

Was drafted in...

Clearly, money comes before safety. The manager of the transport company should be jailed...

That is of course if that statement was true.  We are talking about Thailand here where everyone lies constantly to save face.

9 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

Let us give a bit of credit to the police on this. They finally made him stop, got him and a drink pinned him to the floor. Then they gave him a breath test.

They did a lot more than the normal so let's give the police some credit.

Agreed, credit where credit is due

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:01 PM, webfact said:

'... Nathawut Phromma, a soldier in Pathum Thani ... was one of the 13 passengers in the van. He told them that the driver was swerving all over the road and was clearly drunk.'

So, an overloaded van, and a driver who evidently was drunk to the extent that it should have been obvious before they even set off.

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Every couple of months we used to have a day out to Udon, and hire a minibus between us.

We were regularly asking the driver to slow down, which he did for about 15 minutes, but then he would go even faster, to make up for the time lost whilst driving lower at our request.

The crazy thing was, he was in no rush, as we had hired his services for the full day.

The same van and driver each time?

I no longer do border runs from pattaya. These drivers in these 9 passenger vans are accidents waiting to happen. besides being jammed in there for 3-4 hours, they drive like maniacs. My life is worth more than that. I now use my visa run to take a day or two in bangkok. the ride is longer...but definately safer and more enjoyable. taking a large bus, there is room to move and usually you have 2 seats to yourself to spread out. i then spend another day in bangkok before heading back to patts.

On 11/11/2016 at 7:01 AM, webfact said:

Terrified passengers gritted their teeth as the wild driver raced along the Asia Highway last night. But one of the passengers, a 24 year old soldier returning to camp, had the presence of mind to phone police who set up the blocks and eventually apprehended Sompong, 38, a driver from Suphanburi.

But they could not do it without the help of the army. :cheesy:

Possibly the best story I have heard concerning Thai roads.
An alert soldier in the van makes a call, the Highway Police spring into action and do their job well, and concluding with a happy ending.
Makes you wonder if it really happened.
More of the same please...

Just because TV and it's members prefer to focus on bad news doesn't mean good stuff doesn't happen.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Just now, mcfish said:

Just because TV and it's members prefer to focus on bad news doesn't mean good stuff doesn't happen.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I do believe it happened, it is unusual though.

You can't deny that the roads here are dangerous.

It is great news, I hope we get many more like this from now on.

Sent from my Skipbatanddoody 4.7 using Tapatalk

This is why  I have stopped using the semi-legal mini buses, and pay a bit more for the big public buses to

get me around Thailand. I do feel a bit safer.  I have been in a few of the mini buses, where the driver goes

way too fast and drives carelessly as well. I hope this driver had a few good days in jail for putting 13 people

in danger.

Geezer