SURVEY: Did the US elect the right person as President?

Scott

SURVEY: Is President-elect, Donald, the right person to be the next President?  

504 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Publicus said:

As of today you are removed from my Ignore Hall of Shame so let's see if you and I can discuss the issues and the principal public figures without your trying pathetically to bait or troll as you'd attempted with the devious "Mr. P" posts.

Which makes today a new day concerning your posts to me -- hopefully and ideally.

So you need to know the question in the post is absurd. Same for the vacuous claim we on this side do not accept the election that makes Donald Trump Potus-Elect The right has no argument in this -- it has only political nonsense.

A return visit to middle school 7th grade civics class shows unmistakably why the question is absurd. The question is moreover self-embarrassing.  The question is both absurd and self-embarrassing to the right who in 2016 deny and try to dismiss the significance and the Constitutional proscriptions of the Popular Vote in respect of the Electoral College.

Here is why and it is the direct answer to the question.

The Popular Vote of a state -- each of the 50 states -- determines which candidate wins the Electoral College Electors of the state. (As even you do know, the candidate who totals 270 ECVotes wins election as Potus.)

For example, take Pennsylvania. Trump very narrowly won the Popular Vote in PA. (PA had not voted Red for Potus since 1988.)

Pennsylvania Popular Vote, Potus, 2016

Trump:   2,900,785  (48.9%)

Clinton:  2,825,767  (47.6%)

Winning Popular Vote Margin for Trump: 75,018  (1.3%)

Total Popular Vote: 5,726,552

(See link below.)

Because Donald Trump won the Popular Vote of the voters of Pennsylvania, Donald Trump won the state's Electoral College Votes/Electors (20). Donald Trump did in fact win the Electoral College Electors of each state in which Trump won the Popular Vote.

Same same in respect of each state where Hillary Clinton won the Popular Vote, i.e., Clinton won the Electors in the state of the Electoral College. In other words, without the Popular Vote of each state, the election means nothing.

(PA is one of 20 states that does not have a state law that binds each person who is an Electoral College Elector to the winner of the Popular Vote of the state.)

Further....

The U.S. Constitution does not dictate how presidential electors are to cast their votes, but, in general, electors are expected to vote for the winner of the popular vote in their state.

https://ballotpedia.org/Presidential_election_in_Pennsylvania,_2016

In the fortunately few instances in which a Potus won the Electoral College Electors but lost the Popular Vote nationally, it is considered an anomaly, something of an odd contradiction of democracy and democratic principles and precepts. The bizarre event not only makes news, it makes history -- in unfavorable and negative ways. 

Disparaging or dismissing the Popular Vote is in any respect a dangerous notion and purpose. If one is to dismiss the Popular Vote in any sense or aspect, then he dismisses not only the Electoral College, he dismisses the Popular Vote per se. This includes in each state and nationally.

The Popular Vote matters in each state, and the Popular Vote matters nationally because it is the Popular Vote. So either the Popular Vote is significant in technical and moral terms, or it is unimportant and matters not at all anywhere or in any context. Dismissing the Popular Vote in any context or in any respect is a dangerous notion that is exclusive to the Trump Fanboyz in this election.

If one is to respect the Popular Vote in each state, then one must recognise and respect the Popular Vote of the nation as a whole. Each has an assigned value that requires respect because in each instance it is the Popular Vote. Any denial of the Popular Vote is the denial of democracy itself.

Gee thanks, I feel wanted again, however, please, given the number of times the popular vote has been discussed it's really old hat, so if you want to discuss something else pertaining to the topic, feel free but if I disagree then I will disagree. It is not trolling or baiting, never has been but when one receives a disparaging response to a legitimate post, it gets answered in a way that you, unfortunately, deem to be as you described.

I shall leave it that but if you want to debate  please do so in a manner that does not contain any insults, such as you have enlisted in your response on this occasion.  It's really unbecoming and shows a lack of maturity of someone who professes to be highly educated.  Thank you and have a nice day.:wai:

37 minutes ago, Publicus said:

The radical right has been denying the national Popular Vote since the counting of it went and has remained favorable to former SecState Hillary Clinton.

The national Popular Vote is integral to every election every where at all times because it is the direct vote of the people who constitute the electorate.

The radical right have been denying the national popular vote daily, numerous times daily since the votes began to be counted November 8th.

No body is denying the national popular vote? At first count Hillary is ahead by a fraction of 1%.

What is your point?

3 hours ago, Scott said:

A troll post has been removed.   Accusing candidates of buying votes is not going to be tolerated unless it is backed up by a credible source.   Spending money on a campaign and buying votes is not the same thing.  

You have been warned.  

Thanks for clearing that up. I honestly thought they were the same thing.

38 minutes ago, kevkev1888 said:

No body is denying the national popular vote? At first count Hillary is ahead by a fraction of 1%.

What is your point?

Do you think it could be that more Americans wanted Hillary and that Trump has only won the election based on the technicalities of the system?  I wonder what people would be saying if the shoe was on the other foot, the exact same things per chance?

Just now, Shawn0000 said:

Do you think it could be that more Americans wanted Hillary and that Trump has only won the election based on the technicalities of the system?  I wonder what people would be saying if the shoe was on the other foot, the exact same things per chance?

It is not a technicality of the System. It IS the system.

9 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

No, I think more Americans wanted Trump. If they were both campaigning for the popular vote, Trump would have won that too as he would have done a lot more campaigning in blue states. Picking up another million votes in California, New York, Illinois, Texas and Florida would have been a breeze for Trump, but unlike most Democratic supporters on this forum, he knew the goal was to get to 270 and didn't give the popular vote too much attention.

Now I have a question for you: Do you not think at least 1 million Republican supporters didn't vote in all the strong blue states?

15 minutes ago, tropo said:

No, I think more Americans wanted Trump. If they were both campaigning for the popular vote, Trump would have won that too as he would have done a lot more campaigning in blue states. Picking up another million votes in California, New York, Illinois, Texas and Florida would have been a breeze for Trump, but unlike most Democratic supporters on this forum, he knew the goal was to get to 270 and didn't give the popular vote too much attention.

Now I have a question for you: Do you not think at least 1 million Republican supporters didn't vote in all the strong blue states?

Speculation, conjecture, bravado.

Here are the data up to the moment...

Popular Vote Potus as of November 18:

Clinton:   63, 045,266

Trump:    61, 607,950

Popular Vote Margin: 1,437,316  (1.1%)

Total Popular Vote: 131,622,065

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/133Eb4qQmOxNvtesw2hdVns073R68EZx4SfCnP4IGQf8/htmlview?sle=true#gid=19

The count continues in various states of absentee ballots, provisional ballots and the like.

It is not conjecture nor is it speculation that Donald Trump lost the national Popular Vote. The direct vote of the American electorate.

Lost.

And that the Washington Post/Schar School survey shows only 29% of Americans want Donald Trump to keep his wild campaign promises to build a wall, create a Muslim registry and the like.

Six in ten Americans (59%) want Trump to compromise with Democrats on issues of decisive importance to Democrats.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/133Eb4qQmOxNvtesw2hdVns073R68EZx4SfCnP4IGQf8/htmlview?sle=true#gid=19

Recognise it. Accept it. Live with it.

45 minutes ago, Publicus said:

Recognise it. Accept it. Live with it.

Now that is funny :cheesy:

To be pedantic he has not lost the national popular vote, as they are still counting. He is loosing it currently, (not that it matters a jot).

Also I am sure that you will find there will be some compromises. Trump knows how to get things done.

He is a winner!

2 minutes ago, kevkev1888 said:

Now that is funny :cheesy:

To be pedantic he has not lost the national popular vote, as they are still counting. He is loosing it currently, (not that it matters a jot).

Also I am sure that you will find there will be some compromises. Trump knows how to get things done.

He is a winner!

Donald Trump is the most unpopular Potus-Elect in the history of the office.

Trump is even more unpopular than Hillary!

Politico: “A populist candidate who railed against shady financial interests on the campaign trail is now putting together an administration that looks like an investment banker’s dream.”

“It’s a restoration of Wall Street power — and a potential flip in the way the industry is regulated — perhaps unparalleled in American history."

Trump is so tired of winning he's staying away from Washington -- hasn't been there since last week. Trump is not up to the job already.

3 minutes ago, Publicus said:

Donald Trump is the most unpopular Potus-Elect in the history of the office.

Trump is even more unpopular than Hillary!

Politico: “A populist candidate who railed against shady financial interests on the campaign trail is now putting together an administration that looks like an investment banker’s dream.”

“It’s a restoration of Wall Street power — and a potential flip in the way the industry is regulated — perhaps unparalleled in American history."

Trump is so tired of winning he's staying away from Washington -- hasn't been there since last week. Trump is not up to the job already.

Well lets see how popular he is in 4 or 8 years. :coffee1:

4 hours ago, kevkev1888 said:

Well lets see how popular he is in 4 or 8 years. :coffee1:

If we're not blown away between now and then. 

Trump's hands.

Trump's fingers hovering over the red button.

The WaPo and George Mason U survey out yesterday said the majority of Americans do not have confidence in Trump in matters of war and peace. The survey said 60% of Americans want Trump to compromise on issues of vital concern to Democrats.

This is not an encouraging start to say the least. Especially given it's the old 'time will tell' cliche' in other words. 

Youse guyz are in office now which means everything is directed at you   :hit-the-fan:

7 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Gosh I really didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to quote anything from the Washington Post....................:shock1:

You clearly overestimated Publicus.....

In fairness to WaPo, they are credible when compared to most of his sources

41 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

Not true according to Snopes. More liberal fiction meant to discredit him.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/11/14/trump-may-not-live-in-white-house/

G. W. Bush spent a 3rd of his presidency at 3 other residences outside Washington... Nothing unusual here, only some sour losers grasping at straws once again.

Next....

53 minutes ago, tropo said:

G. W. Bush spent a 3rd of his presidency at 3 other residences outside Washington... Nothing unusual here, only some sour losers grasping at straws once again.

Next....

Bush took 1020 days holliday in 8 years, by far the most days off any president has ever taken, best not to use Bush as the comparison as his presidency was in no way the norm.

9 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Gosh I really didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to quote anything from the Washington Post....................:shock1:

Youse guyz are too good to a wretch like me most of the time and this is one of the times.

I try not to let the flattery go to my head however.

Hard sometimes as it is.

53 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Bush took 1020 days holliday in 8 years, by far the most days off any president has ever taken, best not to use Bush as the comparison as his presidency was in no way the norm.

I see different numbers depending on the method of tallying them. You chose the very highest one, of course.

Obama and Clinton were close in vacation time and G.W. Bush and Reagan were close, so yes, over the past 34 years using Bush is valid for comparative purposes. 

The main point is that it's quite typical for presidents to spend a lot of time in different residences. 

Having said that, I think Trump will probably work harder than any other US president in history. Let's wait and see where he chooses to stay. 

13 minutes ago, tropo said:

I see different numbers depending on the method of tallying them. You chose the very highest one, of course.

Obama and Clinton were close in vacation time and G.W. Bush and Reagan were close, so yes, over the past 34 years using Bush is valid for comparative purposes. 

The main point is that it's quite typical for presidents to spend a lot of time in different residences. 

Having said that, I think Trump will probably work harder than any other US president in history. Let's wait and see where he chooses to stay. 

ok if you just want to use Bush as a comparative for Republican presidents then your point is valid.

6 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

ok if you just want to use Bush as a comparative for Republican presidents then your point is valid.

It was never my intention to start debating presidential vacation time, only that many presidents reside outside the White House during their terms. If Trump chooses to spend time at his Florida estate, he's doing nothing unusual. Trump Tower might be out due to security issues.

Archived