Yamaha NMAX promotion starting 11/28/2016

jackcorbett

I got it from the salesman at Watchara Marine that Yamaha is introducing a new model of motorbike that will impact the sales price of the Yamaha NMAX.  He showed me pictures on his smart phone but the pictures were too small for me to make much of them.  This whole thing started when I brought my Elegance in to talk trade.  Around two weeks ago he told me to come back in 2 weeks because there would be a special promotion which I took to mean a lower price for the Nmax.  So about 2 weeks later (day before yesterday) I went back to find out the magic date was the 28th of November.   This bike has a new name and he told me it's an underbone style.  In the pictures it did not seem nearly as large as a Honda Forza.  He definitely told me it's not the 300 XMax that will be introduced soon as a 2017 model.  I can go on and on about my thoughts on this new Yamaha model and why there will apparently be a new special promotion price on the Nmax.  But it would all be conjecture on my part.  Since I already have a Yamaha 400 SR and a 135 Yamaha Nouvo Elegance my needs are pretty well covered.  Nevertheless, you can be sure I'll be heading down to Watchara Marine to learn all that I can about this new promotion, the new model and how the Nmax will be affected.

The power to weight ratio is in favor of the new Aerox 155.  At about 250 pounds or so, it's only a tad heavier than my Nouvo Elegance 135 and around 35 pounds lighter than the PCX 150 or the NMAX 155 which it shares the same engine with. It also has 14 inch diameter wheels, same as the PCX and larger than the 13 inch wheels of the NMAX.  Talking to my pal, Richard today, who has the PCX 150, he likes the long range provided by its 8 liter fuel tank.  This new Aerox 155 has a capacity of only 4.6 liters which is .3 liters more than the Nouvo 125 SX and .3 liters less than my Elegance. I therefore figure the range to be a bit less than my Elegance is going to get.   I still like the all around utility of my Elegance as I can use bungie cords to strap all kinds of things across my seat plus I have that hook in front of me for hanging grocery bags.  

Took the nmax out for 24 hours rental ...fantastic braking, comfort and way it handles...better mind/body connection to the road than PCX for me anyway...PCX feels like a puffed up Honda Click i to me now.

Will be interested in what the special offer could be - 0% interest or a discount period or both...or a new model of NMAX (doubt it)...hope it is not some freebie crappy billboard Yamaha clothing etc !

Edited by freedomnow

On 11/14/2016 at 7:17 PM, jackcorbett said:

around 35 pounds lighter than the PCX 150 or the NMAX 155 which it shares the same engine with. It also has 14 inch diameter wheels, same as the PCX and larger than the 13 inch wheels of the NMAX.  Talking to my pal, Richard today, who has the PCX 150, he likes the long range provided by its 8 liter fuel tank.  This new Aerox 155 has a capacity of only 4.6 liters which is

I don't know the Aerox, but is the weight measured 'wet'. In which case the gas tank that has not much over half the capacity would make up a large amount of that weight difference. 

31 minutes ago, DLang said:

I don't know the Aerox, but is the weight measured 'wet'. In which case the gas tank that has not much over half the capacity would make up a large amount of that weight difference

1/2 tank fuel, ~6 pounds.

A minor fraction of 35 pounds.

There are no new model small bikes here yet.  The salesman thought there was.  But I did take my Elegance there and got a special discount off the price of the Yamaha Nmax.  Bottom line is I'm being offered  a 2500 to 3500 baht better deal than I was offered at Mityan on Pattaya Tai and 3rd Road plus I had to talk to a snotty salesman at Mityan.  I much prefer the man at Watchara Marine who was much more polite while trying his best to make a deal happen.  

Edited by jackcorbett

1 hour ago, jackcorbett said:

There are no new model small bikes here yet.  The salesman thought there was.  But I did take my Elegance there and got a special discount off the price of the Yamaha Nmax.  Bottom line is I'm being offered  a 2500 to 3500 baht better deal than I was offered at Mityan on Pattaya Tai and 3rd Road plus I had to talk to a snotty salesman at Mityan.  I much prefer the man at Watchara Marine who was much more polite while trying his best to make a deal happen.  

Any mention of the Aerox release date ?

I've decided NMAX too big for short trips....almost like a commuting bike/entry-level touring scooter.

Looking at Click i or Aerox if it is coming soon...

I think you'd get used to it.  Friend of mine visited for several days and I put him on my Yamaha Elegance.  Got in some pretty tight traffic on Sukamvit where all the road construction is, and more than once.  I could almost do as well cutting around all the cars as he could on my Nouvo 135 which I think is about as good as it gets.  Granted, the SR400 is still pretty light for a full size motorbike and it's pretty narrow.  Since I haven't driven the NMAX yet, I really don't know but my gut tells me it would be similar to my SR400...that is not quite up to the Elegance, but not all that far behind either.  Well, my brake on the Elegance is just about shot and it's dangerous to drive now.  Ordered the part but that's going to take 1 to 2 weeks to get here.  So, for safety's sake, I'll probably trade and I might trade tomorrow.  For me the disk brakes on both the front and rear plus ABS is the decisive factor.  I"ve got a titanium brace locking my collarbone together thanks to my test driving that 250 CBR to Rayong without ABS.  It will never be the same again.  

Edited by jackcorbett

I agree with jackorbett, you will get used to it.

I almost only ride in city traffic on my pcx and no problems and I got a felling that the nmax will be slightly better than a pcx downtown, it seems a bit smaller to me.

I am also looking to change my pcx out at some stage, am quite keen on the nmax as next scooter but as said don't know when, my pcx150 2012 is still running strong and never caused any problems over 14k km's.

2 hours ago, jackcorbett said:

I think you'd get used to it.  Friend of mine visited for several days and I put him on my Yamaha Elegance.  Got in some pretty tight traffic on Sukamvit where all the road construction is, and more than once.  I could almost do as well cutting around all the cars as he could on my Nouvo 135 which I think is about as good as it gets.  Granted, the SR400 is still pretty light for a full size motorbike and it's pretty narrow.  Since I haven't driven the NMAX yet, I really don't know but my gut tells me it would be similar to my SR400...that is not quite up to the Elegance, but not all that far behind either.  Well, my brake on the Elegance is just about shot and it's dangerous to drive now.  Ordered the part but that's going to take 1 to 2 weeks to get here.  So, for safety's sake, I'll probably trade and I might trade tomorrow.  For me the disk brakes on both the front and rear plus ABS is the decisive factor.  I"ve got a titanium brace locking my collarbone together thanks to my test driving that 250 CBR to Rayong without ABS.  It will never be the same again.  

Nouvo; ceeber with widened mirrors; Lifan-X with wide bars.

All cut Sukhumvit traffic fine.

Fino 2-up, whatever....

Jack, bet my fave shop on Klang has your [YNE]  part in stock and could fix in an hour.

Cheap. Just saying...

Aerox out in December if not already mentioned. I translated a Thai spec list with release date...so maybe there IS an Nmax discount coming for you other guys looking at Nmax.

I'm guessing 69k full extras (left), 67k mid-level, (centre)  65k basic boy racer (right)...

But I may be off by -10k...haha.

0.jpg

Edited by freedomnow

I finally broke down and traded off my Nouvo Elegance today.  My initial impression was that my new Nmax drives more like my Elegance than a PCX.  It seems more responsive.  Handling is excellent.  As far as being able to slice and dice through and around cars, it seems pretty proficient in this respect.  Brakes as expected are first rate.  And as I already mentioned, it's got about 32 percent more power than the Elegance.  Although it is about the same size as the PCX it definitely drives like it's smaller so it's got the edge in agility.  And so far the 13 inch diameter wheels do not seem to be a drawback.  

Pretty pleased with Watchara Marine.  I figure I did about 2000 baht better in the trade than I would have at Mityan, and I feel they do a much better job in setting up the bike here.  Several years ago I bought a Yamaha Filano at Mityan on Pattaya Klang. Handling was very bad from the get go and it bottomed out very badly on the speed bumps.  The fat little tires looked full of air to me, but when I checked them they had only about 5 pounds of pressure in them.  My girlfriend liked her Filano but she never drove it any great distance.  It was a pretty well put together little bike, but when the muffler rusted out, I was not pleased.  That's when I offered her the choice between a PCX 150 and an Nmax.  She never wanted to try the Nmax though so we went for a bright red PCX 150. She said the Nmax looked like an alien.  But after I brought the spanking brand new black and silver Nmax home this afternoon, she commented that the Nmax looks even better than hers.  But she's been quite proud of her PCX,  loving it far more than the Filano she used to have.  

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Namplik said:

So, was there a promotion starting 28 nov? @jackcorbett

THis was not the promotion I expected.  Although helpful, the salesman was not really sure what the promotion would entail.  I gathered from him that there would be a successor to the Nmax 155 and that this was the Aerox.  I gathered the Aerox would be on display at Watchara Marine but when I got there this was not the case.  But when I brought my Nouvo Elegance in the salesman knocked 1000 baht off the normal Watchara Marine price for the Nmax.  When it was all said and done I figure I got 18,000 baht off via the trade for my Elegance 135.  My Elegance 135 was 8 years old so when you figure that the dealer must make money when it sells my Elegance, I felt this was a pretty fair deal and 2000 to 3000 baht better than I would have gotten from Mityan on Pattaya Thai and Third Road.  

For all of you nickel and dimers figure this.  Including the misc fees for the licence and govt insurance, I paid roughly 60,000 baht for my Elegance in 2008, then I traded it 8 years later for a bit more than 60,000 baht.  In American dollars it's costing me about $1714 to own a bike for 8 years or $214.25 a year and my annual repair cost is about zilch.  When you compare these kind of numbers to car ownership costs, the difference in dollars is not even worth discussing.