Not what you'd call a quality tourist! Russian gangster slipped through the net....

webfact

Not what you'd call a quality tourist! Russian gangster slipped through the net....

5a.jpg

Pictures: Chonburi Immigration

Chonburi immigration have announced the latest arrest under their "Good Guys in Bad Guys Out" banner. And it is a man who appears to have slipped through the net to come and enjoy life in Thailand.

Viacheslav Fillippov, 47, had a string of serious offences to his name in Russia but after being let out of prison came to Thailand.

The Russian Embassy told the Thai authorities about him and he was arrested at immigration late last month.

He was convicted in Omsk in 1994 and sent down for six years for robbery. In 2000 he was busted again for theft, receiving stolen goods and forgery for which he got a little over six years. 

In 2007 he got 9 years for peddling drugs and received a further year in 2008 for fraud. He was let out of prison in 2013.

Somehow he managed to come to Thailand and get permission to stay in the kingdom. 

He was arrested at Chonburi immigration on October 27th after representations were received from the Russian Embassy in Thailand who revealed his ackground.

Meanwhile Chonburi officials have been doing the rounds fining people for not registering foreigner's staying at various locations. 

5b.jpg

No precise details were given but the website said that a total of 15 people had been fined for failure to report guests under two sections of the immigration law.

Source: Chonburi Immigration 1, 2

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-18

1 hour ago, hanssna said:

Well, bad boys like this are actually fine 'quality tourists',  the have lots of black money and like to spend it, leave good tips all around and don't do much wrong in Thailand, so I don't see the problem, lol !

Yup one high rolling gangster with a sack of cash has got to be worth at least one 747 full of cheap charlies ;)

3 hours ago, BlackJack said:

hes only 47 how can he stay here?

It seems that if you have a sufficient "Pension" from your country then age is no barrier.

I have many European friends under the age of 45 years, here who have lived permanently for many years.

It appears to me people are actually surprised criminals can enter Thailand and not get caught.

If you pay the right person the right amoun you can stay in Thailand, come on, don't be so naive. The problem is if you don't know the right person then it's a problem.

I would like to sell Buttons that say, "Right connection in Thailand whether on holiday or on business".

19 hours ago, Basil B said:

Until there is some form of international register for persons with serious conviction it is not easy to check persons at the boarder.

Preventing criminals from obtaining a passport would be one thing?

But if you agree once a criminal has done his time he is an outstanding citizen once again?

Looks to me a person like we are talking about can be called a recidivist and is not likely to chance his ways.

Where I am coming from is at this time it is open boards for criminals, look at most countries that do screen visitors,  looking at boarder control for Australia, New Zealand,  Canada, people who have convictions can appeal for a visa and it will be considered.

Well, probably somebody I would want as a neighbor, but it seems like he finished his prison terms and was not a fugitive.  Being 47 he wouldn't normally qualify for a retirement visa.  So lets' assume he went to Thailand on a simple visa exempt way.  As long as Russia gave him a passport, I don't think there are many checks done on visitor's general background.  There certainly are databases out there, no fly lists, fugitive lists, etc.  Even the tourist visa doesn't require any supporting documentation like a local criminal report.  Makes one wonder how much checking Thailand does on incoming people's background.

19 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Where I am coming from is at this time it is open boards for criminals, look at most countries that do screen visitors,  looking at boarder control for Australia, New Zealand,  Canada, people who have convictions can appeal for a visa and it will be considered.

Yes.  I watch the TV show about immigration at the Ozzie airports.  Many people get online visas approved, then arrive at in Australia and are turned away!  That seems unfair given that the person did all the online stuff, bought a ticket, planned a trip, took time off from work, etc.  Just the discomfort of say a 13 hour flight then having to turn around and do it right away to return home!  ugh.