Trike conversion

Boatman37210

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:16 PM, papa al said:

What did the company say to your question in OP?

Not getting any response.  Sent 2 emails and one Line message since the original phone contact.

I'm sure what they are doing is legal for handicapped customers, but what about non-handicapped.  It is a question that I think is legit, but getting no response.

Edited by Boatman37210

40 minutes ago, Boatman37210 said:

Not getting any response.  Sent 2 emails and one Line message since the original phone contact.

I'm sure what they are doing is legal for handicapped customers, but what about non-handicapped.  It is a question that I think is legit, but getting no response.

Emails frequently go unresponsive here.

1.  Unclear why you dint ask them the relevant questions on first phone call.

&

2.  Can't y'all call them again?

On 11/19/2016 at 3:25 PM, Boatman37210 said:

Companies make and sell trikes all the time and people have bikes converted to trikes, so not sure why you think this is such a far fetch idea.  I'm basically in the information gathering process right now, so difficult for me to answer your questions.  I've never owned or ridden a trike, so do not know how they are designed.  Did see a pic of a conversion where it looked like it might allow for the back wheels to lean at least to some degree.   Planning on a trip to the shop shortly to see conversions and get questions answered.  If it will not be legal to ride on the road, then it is a no go.

Most of my problems are at slow speeds.  Anyone familiar with landing gear and who might be able to install?  Small wheels come down when you reach a slow speed to steady the bike and come up when you speed up.  From the youtube vids looks like a possible solution if they make for a small bike.  The wheels are small and inconspicuous, so don't think the police would be a problem.  Passing a bike inspection might be a problem unless they could be taken off easily prior to. 

I have been thinking about this possibility.  If I can't find what I consider a reasonable solution on the Tricity, that will be the route I will go.

As already mentioned, a Tricity is designed to lean, so 2 wheels on the back would be extremely dangerous if you took a corner at speed. Plus it would be a nightmare to get the modifications legally accepted.

If you have low speed issues maybe you could consider a sidecar. Tiger made a fully legal one that had a sidecar fitted from the factory but I think the quality was poor from reviews I read. If you're not using it much and just potter around it might be OK though, I've seen them second hand for 3x,xxx Baht. Or you could do a similar conversion with a Honda Wave/Dream or an auto - although then you've got the same issues with documenting the modification.

The sidecar option might also be useful for carrying shopping, or storing anything else you need to get around etc. 

87903-106ef14aa9d6efc887d4728602ae494e.p

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

As already mentioned, a Tricity is designed to lean, so 2 wheels on the back would be extremely dangerous if you took a corner at speed. Plus it would be a nightmare to get the modifications legally accepted.

If you have low speed issues maybe you could consider a sidecar. Tiger made a fully legal one that had a sidecar fitted from the factory but I think the quality was poor from reviews I read. If you're not using it much and just potter around it might be OK though, I've seen them second hand for 3x,xxx Baht. Or you could do a similar conversion with a Honda Wave/Dream or an auto - although then you've got the same issues with documenting the modification.

The sidecar option might also be useful for carrying shopping, or storing anything else you need to get around etc. 

87903-106ef14aa9d6efc887d4728602ae494e.p

Yes stay away from the Tiger retro/.w sidecar, they are no good man and the brakes are extremely poor.

As late as yesterday I saw a 1 legged expat on a lovely Yamaha Filano with a sidecar fitted, in red with some stripes on it.

I have also seen some PCX scooters converted into 2 front wheels but not narrow as the Tricity but something that can stand by itself when parked, front forks/brakes and the whole 9yard but they are almost as wide as a small car.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 8:50 AM, papa al said:

2.  Can't y'all call them again?

I personally called today and the lady I talked to was Thai, but spoke English.  She confirmed that the law says you have to be disabled.  However, she added that non-disabled do buy and ride them and is okay as long as you have a license and wear a helmet.    

41 minutes ago, Boatman37210 said:

I personally called today and the lady I talked to was Thai, but spoke English.  She confirmed that the law says you have to be disabled.  However, she added that non-disabled do buy and ride them and is okay as long as you have a license and wear a helmet.    

Well if she is selling those conversions, she is not the best person to ask.

The police can stop you at will and demand money. The mandatory insurance will not cover anything if you are involved in an accident and you will be paying out of own pocket.

Furthermore since your vehicle is illegal for road use, so if in an accident and it's technically not your fault, you risk to be blamed since your vehicle is illegal and you shouldn't be on the road in the first place.  This can ending costing you hundreds of thousands of baht in hospital bills if somebody is hurt. 

I would not do it, if I was you.

18 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I would not do it, if I was you.

I agree.  I'm not going to do anything unless it is legal. 

Going to talk to the Land Office about the process for obtaining a 3 wheel license, then go from there.  If I do not qualify, then that's it.  No trike for me.  If by chance I do qualify, then I will try to sell the Tricity.  Will then look at buying a 2 wheel already converted. 

Thanks everyone for your input.  It has helped.

Just got back from the Land Office in regards to obtaining a license for a 3 wheel motorbike. Have not been this hot under the collar in a long time. Was immediately told that Thailand did not have a license for 3 wheel bikes. Only for tuk tuks. Clerk immediately started walking away. End of conversation. As she walked away we ask about a disabled license and she said I was not disabled. We told her I had a military disability and her comment was that is USA. This is Thailand. Tried to explain the disability and she would not even listen. Later wife told me the clerk told her not to translate what I was saying. I did not know what I was talking about and she did not want to listen. She walked away at least 3 times and tried to dismiss us as quickly as possible.

I am not disabled, but does not mean I do not have a disability that would create a problem for riding a motorbike. I don't believe it is up to a clerk behind a counter to make that decision. I went there to figure out the application process and ended up with someone who considers themselves judge and jury. I may not qualify and realize that, but I don't want a clerk to make that determination. I am assuming that is done by a doctor.

Wife says this land office has a reputation for being extremely rude and unhelpful. If enough people complained I would think something could be done. I've been here 5 years. My experience with Thai immigration has always been good 95 % of the time and the times things did not go so smoothly where not as bad as today.

I will continue the pursuit probably at Pattaya. That seems to be where trikes are being registered successfully. Maybe registering is the easy part. Getting a license maybe not so easy. I need to know before I buy a bike if I can get a license for it. Otherwise a waste of money.

I question the wisdom of even trying, given that making a scooter too wide to split lanes negates most of the traffic advantage over a safer 4 wheel vehicle which has the added benefit of more seats, cargo capacity and air conditioning. (Edit:  Not to mention all weather capability)

If I were to go down that path, I'd be looking at a tadpole design, which has the advantage of being much less tippy in turns than a tricycle design.  

For legalities, you may want to quiz these guys who rep the Can Am Spyders in Thailand.  They should know all the ins and outs.  (Though I suspect the Spyder falls outside of the OP's budget even if they are street legal.  They certainly cost more than a decent used 4 wheeler...)

http://www.siamwatercraft.com/

There's also some threads in the archives, though they seem to be pretty inconclusive.  Just one example.

Edited by impulse

Subject has pretty much been discussed out, but ran across these pics and thought I would post.  Becomes a five wheel.  Trike kit bolts on and can be taken off.  Requires no modification of bike except to bolt on a receiver hitch.  Hitch is available in the US.  Even if it could be shipped at a reasonable cost, getting it legal would be very difficult if not impossible.

Some trike kits where you keep the rear wheel and add two wheels just do not work because of how they handle uneven ground.  A youtube video of one man's failed attempt shows he was out $11,000 dollars.  The kit he had raised and lowered.  Because of uneven ground one wheel would hit the ground first causing the bike to swerve. 

The kit pictured below does not raise and lower.  Wheels have a suspension and stay in contact with the ground.  Just guessing but if the telescoping front forks are a problem I would think there would be a way to lock them.   No way of knowing if this was a successful conversion or not.

One other note.  My Tricity while 3 wheel is registered as a 2 wheel. 

2016279008_orig.png

5183567_orig.jpg

Edited by Boatman37210

3 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Not a number plate in sight

Pics I have posted in this thread are from shop web sites of the finished conversion before they are plated.  Doesn't mean anything.  These last pics are of a conversion at a shop in the U.S.  Not Thailand.

3 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

but a nice go-cart

Sarcasm I believe it is called.  Not helpful nor needed.