39 Phuket motorists arrested or fined at Kathu checkpoint

rooster59

39 Phuket motorists arrested or fined at Kathu checkpoint 

Yutthawat Lekmak

1479466126_1-org.jpg

Police check vehicles passing through the Kathu Police Station Checkpoint. Photo: Kathu Traffic Police

PHUKET: Traffic Police from Kathu Police Station arrested or fined 39 people for various offences after carry out routine checks on motorists passing through at the Kathu Police Station checkpoint this morning (Nov 18).

Lt Col Sarawul Choprasit of the Kathu Traffic Police told The Phuket News today, “We carried out a big check on motorists passing through the Kathu Police Statio Checkpoint this morning and the checks resulted in 39 motorist being either arrested or fined.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/39-phuket-motorists-arrested-or-fined-at-kathu-checkpoint-59903.php#ZDOkLYmXrcZAwRPz.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-11-19

1.Not wearing a helmet - 7

2.Carrying illegal weapons - 3

3. No driver’s licence - 15

4. No Compulsory Insurance - 14

I wonder what the sample size was..........39 lol   sounds about right

and none caught for Drink driving (maybe they weren't checking for that) :sleep:

Why is this news? Checkpoints are set up daily and 39 fines is hardly a staggering number

What would be news were if those without a drivers licence or compulsory insurance had their vehicles impounded and not allowed to continue on their journey.

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Did you read the link or even the post immediately above yours?

Still a legitimate question.  The OP link x post list the infractions for which there were arrests and fines.

Which infractions led to arrest, and which were just fines? 

13 minutes ago, impulse said:

Still a legitimate question.  The OP link x post list the infractions for which there were arrests and fines.

Which infractions led to arrest, and which were just fines? 

The driving without a helmet infraction led no doubt to arrests, people always get arrested for that. And the ones with a gun were fined and sent on their way.

13 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The driving without a helmet infraction led no doubt to arrests, people always get arrested for that. And the ones with a gun were fined and sent on their way.

Even if that were true, it wouldn't be the strangest thing I've read.  Not even the strangest since breakfast.

23 hours ago, stevenl said:

Do you get surprise if this will happens?After 17 years here, i will not surprise about beeing release carrying a gun and arrested for not wearing an helmet......its all about tips and tea money.

2 hours ago, Ian1980 said:

Do you get surprise if this will happens?After 17 years here, i will not surprise about beeing release carrying a gun and arrested for not wearing an helmet......its all about tips and tea money.

No, it is not. Don't wear a helmet, you get fined and can pay on the spot or at the police station, in both cases with a receipt.

54 minutes ago, balo said:

Also in Chiang Mai we had an increase in police check points. I was fined 200 baht for not wearing the seat belt . First time they stopped my car after 5 years in Thailand.

It's getting tougher for the BiB to make fine money. Lucky for them here on Phuket there are plenty tourists who don't know the rules. 

19 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

It's getting tougher for the BiB to make fine money. Lucky for them here on Phuket there are plenty tourists who don't know the rules. 

As the majority of tourists to Phuket are now Chinese, being transported around in coach buses, I suspect the BiB will become more "creative" in fining people.