Yingluck says govt must assist rice farmers without worrying about profit or loss

rooster59

Yingluck says govt must assist rice farmers without worrying about profit or loss

By THE SUNDAY NATION

FORMER prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday called for “systematic” assistance for rice farmers to help make them become self-reliant.

She said it was the duty of any government to provide help to farmers without any concern about making a profit or a loss.

The ex-PM from the Pheu Thai Party said that farmers are suffering from declining rice prices. She added that without any measures to help them, the farmers would be severely impacted.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/politics/30300379

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-20

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Don't worry about profit or loss so is corruption ok then ?

Isn't corruption part of "Thainess"? Seems like it to me. It's everywhere. Hell our newly "elected" village chief handed out money for votes... and not covertly either. 

We hear cries of diversify, diversify, diversify

Most of the poorer farming areas of Thailand are open range,  there is a good chance if you plant something edible that does not coincide with the general crop management system roaming animals will devour your crop.

Quality fencing costs money farmers cannot currently afford.

Perhaps the government can provide real assistance by subsidising fencing per metre, this is the first step to sustainable diversification, provides incentive, perhaps in some cases employment to do the job, and a financial lift for the farm supply outlets.

Set a limit per farmer of xrai to fence off for diversification.

Results/payments are easily monitored and the base is laid for diversification.

In my opinion tax payers money well invested in order to achieve a varied produce supply line for the consumer.

3 minutes ago, ezzra said:

And that's is why she's in hot water like she's now, her lack of understanding

even in the most simple of economics 101, you can run a business, let alone a country,

on that wisdom......

You may well note that the non profit tax payer funded organisation of civil servants etc has existed for eons, I guess it depends on who you feel is producing the greater benefit? Agreed there is a current excess of rice....

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

The problem is it's always a loss ,that the taxpayer has to pay for.

regards worgeordie

Few rice farmers pay taxes.  One reason Bangkok protests this.  Most taxes are raised there.

I'm amazed they are letting her make comments like this.

If I was this woman I'd be wanting to distance myself from anything "Rice" and yet here we are again ..................... and she is actually giving guidance and letting on to be taking an interest, pity she didn't take such an interest when she was actually pretending to be in charge.

I hope when she gets hit with the big fine that the government makes a point of telling her that every cent will go to the farmers buying rice lol

It is the duty of any government to help its people I refer to Thailand's government not Somalia's however there is some underlying facts that need to be factored  into the price and that is the Asian diet is changing to foreign tastes the demand for rice is falling so does the price so even if propping up an industry sounds alright it may only prolong the agony for small farmers, these are the people who now need to question their farming practices and look into alternative produce,  people are now walking away from old values this includes sports,  political parties ,  religion and one of them is rice over a T bone steak ..............................................:coffee1:  

5 minutes ago, chainarong said:

It is the duty of any government to help its people I refer to Thailand's government not Somalia's however there is some underlying facts that need to be factored  into the price and that is the Asian diet is changing to foreign tastes the demand for rice is falling so does the price so even if propping up an industry sounds alright it may only prolong the agony for small farmers, these are the people who now need to question their farming practices and look into alternative produce,  people are now walking away from old values this includes sports,  political parties ,  religion and one of them is rice over a T bone steak ..............................................:coffee1:  

Absouletly sad but true, the biggest problem is what to do with all the poor, particularly in Isaan? The fuedal government doesnt want them paid to much or educated too much or owning too much. Much better to keep them poor,  uneducated and in crippling debt slows up dissension. Most of the land for growing rice is floodland so difficult to change crops. Its a huge problem. I feel very sorry for the majority of those trying to make a living off the land.

7 minutes ago, starky said:

Absouletly sad but true, the biggest problem is what to do with all the poor, particularly in Isaan? The fuedal government doesnt want them paid to much or educated too much or owning too much. Much better to keep them poor,  uneducated and in crippling debt slows up dissension. Most of the land for growing rice is floodland so difficult to change crops. Its a huge problem. I feel very sorry for the majority of those trying to make a living off the land.

Well put.  Education is the key.  Move on to more productive and better paying jobs.  Can't live off the other taxpayers forever.

She is right to be concerned and so is PM Prayuth. Outside Thailand no one cares about the court cases, Shin clan, Suthep reform, etc..

Outside the country they only see one thing, the over supply and lack of demand for rice.

Due to the drought in the hot season not much rice was produced so the rice price was high. Recently in the rainy season rice crops have thrived and now the rice price is low. It's that simple.

Finding a way to store rice and sell it when the rice price is high is a good idea.

Finding a way for farmers to sell rice without going through a middleman is also a good idea.

Finding a rice plant that can grow in drought conditions is also a good idea.

Time to stop the infighting and come together to find ways to help the rice farmers and make Thailand great again. India has been top of the rice export countries for too long. Come on Thailand, Sue, Sue!

Why the government need reminding to assist farmers not just rice farmers. It is the social responsibility of any government to help the poor. Assisting farmers is not just a peculiarity of Thailand but all countries have subsidy programs of their own. Just how will the farmers in Japan or Taiwan or other developed and developing countries survive against global competition without subsidies. It is government failures past and present for not reducing social and income inequality that resulted in the majority of citizens in the farming industry and always in debt. 

48 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Time to stop the infighting and come together to find ways to help the rice farmers and make Thailand great again. India has been top of the rice export countries for too long. Come on Thailand, Sue, Sue!

Infighting.......................I think you are confused

Quite a large number of people are currently being processed for probably one of the largest corruption scams in Thailand involving hundreds of billions of baht, there is no infighting just an awful lot of thieves facing the music - something they have never experienced before because they thought they were untouchable - not so much

57 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

She is a rose,thorns and all. I rather like her tenacity.

It is truly amazing how everything in life is experienced and judged in relative terms. I used to hate the Yingluck government, with all its unbelievable incompetence, stupidity, and manifest corruption (not saying that she herself personally was corrupt). But compared with what came afterwards .... Well, there really is no comparison. The one is rotten - the other, vicious, malevolent , close to evil.

If I were a Thai, I know which one I would opt for (in this imperfect world). But of course, something much better should be on offer.

Is there hope of something better developing amongst the young Thais? So far, I don't see much evidence of that. But hope springs eternal ...

28 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Lesson not learn is been extended to this junta government too. 

el, the red parties had some 12 years to complete or make substantial progress in terms of complete a total restructuring of the whole agricultural industry and let's not mince words, it's desperately needed.

But what did they achieve? Total nothing at all, in fact they deliberately and knowingly locked themselves into a scenario best suited to massive corruption and cronyism and without any real thought about what's best for farmers long-term.

It's also true all the parties over the last several decades should have made progress on this front and they can all be criticized for lack of progress.

At least there now seems to be more discussion developing but I'm not holding my breath.

11 minutes ago, Eligius said:

It is truly amazing how everything in life is experienced and judged in relative terms. I used to hate the Yingluck government, with all its unbelievable incompetence, stupidity, and manifest corruption (not saying that she herself personally was corrupt). But compared with what came afterwards .... Well, there really is no comparison. The one is rotten - the other, vicious, malevolent , close to evil.

If I were a Thai, I know which one I would opt for (in this imperfect world). But of course, something much better should be on offer.

Is there hope of something better developing amongst the young Thais? So far, I don't see much evidence of that. But hope springs eternal ...

Actually there are plenty of Thai folks / young Thai folks who are highly capable and well experienced, honest and sincere who would like to contribute but in the past stayed well away from politics, because of the massive open corruption, the poor to utterly disgraceful image of pretty much all parties and their members.

I hope we are going to see a new playing field which will encourage some of these better folks to come forward and start new parties, refuse to take in old immoral politicians and quickly make the old parties irrelevant.

I'm not holding my breath it will happen tomorrow. 

18 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I agree with the points you make and in respect of the last sentence it seems that for so many the inculcation they receive from birth works.