Nothing left to say ?

swissie

Sometimes I am amazed, how many members are "on-line" here and even more "guests".

Few of them are replying to a post. let alone opening a new thread.

- Most of them suffering from "writers-block" ? Or has everything already been said on TVF and nothing left to talk about? Just lurking around a Forum, is that now the name of the game ?

It may well be, that some formerly active members, delivering interesting and sometimes challenging new threads have stopped posting here. Why would that be ?

New and interesting threads are the lifeblood of a Forum.

A truly revolutionary insight. Is it not ?
Cheers.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thai Visa has become predictable and boring. Could be the new format, could be the forum police. The expats who are comfortable with their life in Thailand don't feel the need to post nor the need to be told by others they are doing everything all wrong.

Whatever the reason this forum is going downhill.

5 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

The expats who are comfortable with their life in Thailand don't feel the need to post nor the need to be told by others they are doing everything all wrong.

Very well stated. While I am quite comfortable here in Thailand I drop by TV for the sheer entertainment value and to read all the negative stuff people post then post my rebuttal to some of it if I feel strongly enough about it. I refuse to drop by the news section. The responses in those are ridiculous.

In the end, like the news, people do not want to hear and read about good things or people doing well. They prefer the "misery loves company" life and this can be found here. This is why most threads derail so quickly. Of course many take posts far to personal and become extremely defensive.

Its forum life and they are all the same.  I used to admin a diesel truck forum section and same bickering and arguing. 

27 minutes ago, sipi said:

Occasionally I would like a forum where I (and others) could just post random shit about steam trains, Eminem and Monty Python without incurring the wrath of others.

It'll never happen.

Is this a 5 minute argument or the full half hour one?

Back somewhere else I walked into a fruity smooth shake bar, and it was a fiesta of homophobic crappola. Mid climax. I mean you could also walk into a hetero crappola bar  but that one took the cake. I left. 

People I respected making all sorts of jibes, I mean why? The dog pack biting one person and he had no defense. Sad really. People you think respect end up being a dog pack, yeah they thought this one guy was some sort or Devil's Spawn nah, you kick a dog, the dog bites. Wasn't fair. Then you're got some fat plagiarizing creature who should be at the bottom of a klong, they protect who is stealing people's lives writing books ( allegedly) yeah go figure.

So the girl in the bar, told another guy, who told the mama something else, all whispers. All heresay folks, I had it from my friend, who had it from a friend.

My point is all forums are a boys club or a clique. Like it or not it is what is is. If you haven't met anyone in 'real life' does not make you an outsider, more so it makes you an out of the box type.

I've met three people from fora in real life, all folks I'd break bread with again.

Edited by Minnie the Minx

1 hour ago, Minnie the Minx said:

Back somewhere else I walked into a fruity smooth shake bar, and it was a fiesta of homophobic crappola. Mid climax. I mean you could also walk into a hetero crappola bar  but that one took the cake. I left. 

People I respected making all sorts of jibes, I mean why? The dog pack biting one person and he had no defense. Sad really. People you think respect end up being a dog pack, yeah they thought this one guy was some sort or Devil's Spawn nah, you kick a dog, the dog bites. Wasn't fair. Then you're got some fat plagiarizing creature who should be at the bottom of a klong, they protect who is stealing people's lives writing books ( allegedly) yeah go figure.

So the girl in the bar, told another guy, who told the mama something else, all whispers. All heresay folks, I had it from my friend, who had it from a friend.

My point is all forums are a boys club or a clique. Like it or not it is what is is. If you haven't met anyone in 'real life' does not make you an outsider, more so it makes you an out of the box type.

I've met three people from fora in real life, all folks I'd break bread with again.

14 hours ago, JAFO said:

Very well stated. While I am quite comfortable here in Thailand I drop by TV for the sheer entertainment value and to read all the negative stuff people post then post my rebuttal to some of it if I feel strongly enough about it. I refuse to drop by the news section. The responses in those are ridiculous.

In the end, like the news, people do not want to hear and read about good things or people doing well. They prefer the "misery loves company" life and this can be found here. This is why most threads derail so quickly. Of course many take posts far to personal and become extremely defensive.

Its forum life and they are all the same.  I used to admin a diesel truck forum section and same bickering and arguing. 

Nail on the head JAFO, so in affect the likes of yourself with the 'Happy with my life, happy with my wife' threads are part of the problem!  Of course these Posts have there place and can be nice to read but It seems increasingly to me that the only people allowed to Post negatively are ironically the 'Happy' Posters often (guised in a subtle way) quite viciously attacking the 'so called' negative ones. I understand what you mean about people taking things too personally, but as an example attacking  bargirls and their customers is actually a personal attack on every bargirl and every Poster on here who has made direct payment for sex . In the same way if i stated that anyone who believes in religion is stupid that is a personal attack on all religious people.

In summary Traditional and closed minded viewpoints are effecively pushing out the more 'open minded' views.

Good post, but there is nothing wrong with the same topic coming up every so often, there are thousands of members, and new ones coming all the time, I'm quite happy to see the same type of topic every so often and getting different answers.

8 hours ago, rogeroc said:

Nail on the head JAFO, so in affect the likes of yourself with the 'Happy with my life, happy with my wife' threads are part of the problem!  Of course these Posts have there place and can be nice to read but It seems increasingly to me that the only people allowed to Post negatively are ironically the 'Happy' Posters often (guised in a subtle way) quite viciously attacking the 'so called' negative ones. I understand what you mean about people taking things too personally, but as an example attacking  bargirls and their customers is actually a personal attack on every bargirl and every Poster on here who has made direct payment for sex . In the same way if i stated that anyone who believes in religion is stupid that is a personal attack on all religious people.

In summary Traditional and closed minded viewpoints are effecively pushing out the more 'open minded' views.

Point taken rogeroc. But here in lies the problem. Each of has a moral compass. Its those values that we hold dear. Like integrity. People cannot take that from you, you have to give it away. So I have my opinions as do you. They are usually aligned to our personal values or beliefs unless of course they post just to wind people up.

That's the hardest part of any forum, accepting that someone has a different point of view. So if one likes bargirls  and prefers to pay for sex, up to them. Doesn't mean I cannot voice my opinion about it. They are the ones that put it out there. right? Just like when I post I am happy and like living here, I put it out there so I would I have to respect that someone will refute it. 

I do however disagree with your comment about happy posters are the only ones allowed to post negatively. You read forums threads like I do. Most of the new posts start out with a good intent. Then the long time pissed off, angry, bitter poster (For whatever reason) comes on and starts on their diatribe.  Then the debates start as someone comes on to refute their sentiment and then the thread usually derails as someone takes it far to personal. Of course there are some on here that have straight up issues with others and that manifests itself in virtually every thread. 

Again I said it before, Its forum life. If you chose to step in you have to be ready to hear numerous points of view to your post. I take this forum with a grain of salt, its fun to pass time while I sip my OJ. I prefer the motorcycle and farming section  but drop the Farang pub to see what some have posted. 

Thanks for sharing your point of view

I disagree with the notion that general comments should be taken personally and that subsequent personal attacks against the commenter are somehow justified and not personal.  It is one thing to say you are not fond of stupid people but something very different to call a person stupid to their face.  General is okay in my book but personal is not.

Of course we're not allowed to comment on Moderating. :sleep:

It should be more proactive, & visible.

By visible I mean the offender should have their 'mistake' pointed out to them openly.

Some  posts I have made, have been ridiculed, when posting with clear, accurate knowledge of the topic. It seems so childish.

It gets so tedious, I don't bother much anymore.

I posted once and got told to jump from the nearest balcony. :sad:

so i did. from my bedroom balcony, which is about 2 meters from the ground.

Whilst on the balcony, I saw a weird lizard thingy. 

I would post a pic of it but I don't want to be told to jump from a higher balcony.

4 minutes ago, nikmar said:

I posted once and got told to jump from the nearest balcony. :sad:

so i did. from my bedroom balcony, which is about 2 meters from the ground.

Whilst on the balcony, I saw a weird lizard thingy. 

I would post a pic of it but I don't want to be told to jump from a higher balcony.

Maybe it was the Lizard who told you to jump.

Be careful, they can be very devious.

There is definitely a "wind of change" here, l don't mean negativity, there has always been some of that, probably be a bit boring if there wasn't..

I reckon the lack of posting by known regulars could be the looooooong forum transition/upgrade that pissed folk off and when it finally arrived was not user friendly..Well for this ol' chap it ain't..I seem to spend my time clicking to get anywhere. Perhaps just me....

face palm.gif